Martin oxk

drbekken

Reaction score
Ok, then I just bought a Martin OXK soprano on eBay. The high pressure laminate (HPL) will be the right thing for me up here in the realm of interesting climates. I'll post a video once I got it!

Sweet, hope you love it. A friend has one and I have played it a bunch and I really enjoy that ukulele.

Doc, if you start upgrading from your Rogue's we're all in trouble. Can't wait to hear you play your new one.

Hi Doc!

Hopefully, the high pressure LAMINATO will live up to your expectations!

Petey

I am fascinated by these for some reason. Await your impressions and samples.

Thanks, everyone...and, peewee, you won't be in trouble. A better instrument will not make me a better player... However, I do look forward to the sound of it, though.

LOVE my 0XK! Had it for 5 or 6 months now. I went into my local music shop looking to "upgrade" from the cheapo starter uke my wife gave me for Christmas last year. I was thinking I'd come out with a $60-$80 instrument. Walked out with an 0XK. No regrets whatsoever!!!

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Just so you know there's this false information going around that HPL = humidity resistant. Do a little research on people who've tested it and you'll see HPL is actually quite sensitive to humidity changes. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1247225 this is but one small example among the first of many google results.

All the other laminates have solid necks as well and fretboards that can bow due to humidity changes as well. The only true humidity resistant ukes are the Blackbird Tenor & Karadoo(no longer in business) carbon fiber ukes, and the Outdoor composite Ukulele.

Last edited:
Just so you know there's this false information going around that HPL = humidity resistant. Do a little research on people who've tested it and you'll see HPL is actually quite sensitive to humidity changes. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1247225 this is but one small example among the first of many google results.

All the other laminates have solid necks as well and fretboards that can bow due to humidity changes as well. The only true humidity resistant ukes are the Blackbird Tenor & Karadoo(no longer in business) carbon fiber ukes, and the Outdoor composite Ukulele.

I have an OXK. It is not sensitive to humidity changes or changes in temperature. It stays in tune. The body is the HPL stuff and very durable. The neck is laminated wood strips that run the length of the neck; it won't warp. It is the same wood product that apparently is popular gun stock material. It is very durable as well. I've been playing the heck out of it for more than a year and there's no noticeable wear. It has great tone and volume. It's a bit heavy on the neck side and sensitive to worn out strings. Neither one of these things is an issue, in my opinion. All in all I'm very happy with this ukulele.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone...and, peewee, you won't be in trouble. A better instrument will not make me a better player... However, I do look forward to the sound of it, though.

That is a heretical proposition around here, one for which you could be burned upon a pile of Rouge ukuleles for the mere uttering - and a proposition I've always known to be the truth. The Martin S1 is also quite a blast drbekken.

I don't really worry about humidity. In my part of the world, rapid temperature change is much worse. And, of course, very low outdoor temps during the winter. The air may be cold and dry.

HA!, I guess at your level of musicianship, there's not much chance of improvement as a player. But I hope that a better uke will make you give up that silly big piece of furniture with all the buttons and put your energy where it belongs!

HA!, I guess at your level of musicianship, there's not much chance of improvement as a player. But I hope that a better uke will make you give up that silly big piece of furniture with all the buttons and put your energy where it belongs!
Guess I'll have to go into some kind of keyboard rehab then! Pianists Anonymous!

I have an OXK. It is not sensitive to humidity changes or changes in temperature. It stays in tune. The body is the HPL stuff and very durable. The neck is laminated wood strips that run the length of the neck; it won't warp. It is the same wood product that apparently is popular gun stock material. It is very durable as well. I've been playing the heck out of it for more than a year and there's no noticeable wear. It has great tone and volume. It's a bit heavy on the neck side and sensitive to worn out strings. Neither one of these things is an issue, in my opinion. All in all I'm very happy with this ukulele.

:agree:, mine is not sensitive either. It's been left out in the car in the cold, and handles heat well too. I ride with it stuffed in a motorcycle saddlebag in the summer. The stratabond neck will not warp.

Attachments

• stratabond.jpg
    stratabond.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 28
:agree:, mine is not sensitive either. It's been left out in the car in the cold, and handles heat well too. I ride with it stuffed in a motorcycle saddlebag in the summer. The stratabond neck will not warp.

Interesting thoughts from everyone here. I checked the link above, with the info on humidity etc, and it will be fascinating to see how it turns out. So far, I tend to trust those of you who say it won't warp...Anyway, I look forward to a somewhat better instrument than what I'm used to.

I've got one and it is a great ukulele .

stop, you all are making me want to buy one. The neck width is wider than typical? How is the neck thickness? Also fatter than typical?

Top Bottom