PDA

View Full Version : Martin oxk

drbekken
10-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Ok, then I just bought a Martin OXK soprano on eBay. The high pressure laminate (HPL) will be the right thing for me up here in the realm of interesting climates. I'll post a video once I got it!

RyanMFT
10-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Sweet, hope you love it. A friend has one and I have played it a bunch and I really enjoy that ukulele.

peewee
10-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Doc, if you start upgrading from your Rogue's we're all in trouble. Can't wait to hear you play your new one.

PeteyHoudini
10-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi Doc!

Hopefully, the high pressure LAMINATO will live up to your expectations!

Petey

ukemunga
10-18-2013, 05:06 PM
I am fascinated by these for some reason. Await your impressions and samples.

drbekken
10-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Thanks, everyone...and, peewee, you won't be in trouble. A better instrument will not make me a better player... However, I do look forward to the sound of it, though.

Bill Potter
10-20-2013, 04:53 PM
LOVE my 0XK! Had it for 5 or 6 months now. I went into my local music shop looking to "upgrade" from the cheapo starter uke my wife gave me for Christmas last year. I was thinking I'd come out with a $60-$80 instrument. Walked out with an 0XK. No regrets whatsoever!!!

Enjoy.

King David
10-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Just so you know there's this false information going around that HPL = humidity resistant. Do a little research on people who've tested it and you'll see HPL is actually quite sensitive to humidity changes. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1247225 this is but one small example among the first of many google results.

All the other laminates have solid necks as well and fretboards that can bow due to humidity changes as well. The only true humidity resistant ukes are the Blackbird Tenor & Karadoo(no longer in business) carbon fiber ukes, and the Outdoor composite Ukulele.

Hikingstevo
10-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Just so you know there's this false information going around that HPL = humidity resistant. Do a little research on people who've tested it and you'll see HPL is actually quite sensitive to humidity changes. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1247225 this is but one small example among the first of many google results.

All the other laminates have solid necks as well and fretboards that can bow due to humidity changes as well. The only true humidity resistant ukes are the Blackbird Tenor & Karadoo(no longer in business) carbon fiber ukes, and the Outdoor composite Ukulele.

I have an OXK. It is not sensitive to humidity changes or changes in temperature. It stays in tune. The body is the HPL stuff and very durable. The neck is laminated wood strips that run the length of the neck; it won't warp. It is the same wood product that apparently is popular gun stock material. It is very durable as well. I've been playing the heck out of it for more than a year and there's no noticeable wear. It has great tone and volume. It's a bit heavy on the neck side and sensitive to worn out strings. Neither one of these things is an issue, in my opinion. All in all I'm very happy with this ukulele.

Bill Mc
10-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks, everyone...and, peewee, you won't be in trouble. A better instrument will not make me a better player... However, I do look forward to the sound of it, though.

That is a heretical proposition around here, one for which you could be burned upon a pile of Rouge ukuleles for the mere uttering - and a proposition I've always known to be the truth. The Martin S1 is also quite a blast drbekken.

drbekken
10-20-2013, 08:49 PM
I don't really worry about humidity. In my part of the world, rapid temperature change is much worse. And, of course, very low outdoor temps during the winter. The air may be cold and dry.

peewee
10-20-2013, 09:12 PM

HA!, I guess at your level of musicianship, there's not much chance of improvement as a player. But I hope that a better uke will make you give up that silly big piece of furniture with all the buttons and put your energy where it belongs!

drbekken
10-20-2013, 10:09 PM
HA!, I guess at your level of musicianship, there's not much chance of improvement as a player. But I hope that a better uke will make you give up that silly big piece of furniture with all the buttons and put your energy where it belongs!
Guess I'll have to go into some kind of keyboard rehab then! Pianists Anonymous!

Skinny Money McGee
10-21-2013, 04:06 AM
I have an OXK. It is not sensitive to humidity changes or changes in temperature. It stays in tune. The body is the HPL stuff and very durable. The neck is laminated wood strips that run the length of the neck; it won't warp. It is the same wood product that apparently is popular gun stock material. It is very durable as well. I've been playing the heck out of it for more than a year and there's no noticeable wear. It has great tone and volume. It's a bit heavy on the neck side and sensitive to worn out strings. Neither one of these things is an issue, in my opinion. All in all I'm very happy with this ukulele.

:agree:, mine is not sensitive either. It's been left out in the car in the cold, and handles heat well too. I ride with it stuffed in a motorcycle saddlebag in the summer. The stratabond neck will not warp.

drbekken
10-21-2013, 07:42 AM
:agree:, mine is not sensitive either. It's been left out in the car in the cold, and handles heat well too. I ride with it stuffed in a motorcycle saddlebag in the summer. The stratabond neck will not warp.

Interesting thoughts from everyone here. I checked the link above, with the info on humidity etc, and it will be fascinating to see how it turns out. So far, I tend to trust those of you who say it won't warp...Anyway, I look forward to a somewhat better instrument than what I'm used to.

Pukulele Pete
10-21-2013, 10:14 AM
I've got one and it is a great ukulele .

ukeeku
10-21-2013, 01:12 PM
I thought it was pretty cool when it came out
http://ukeeku.com/2010/07/06/martin-oxk-full-review/
Still do

bnolsen
10-21-2013, 02:14 PM
stop, you all are making me want to buy one. The neck width is wider than typical? How is the neck thickness? Also fatter than typical?

PeteyHoudini
10-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Hey, please stop worrying about the sound... it's sexy, but poor! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIayCOvo9Qg

petey

drbekken
10-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Hey, please stop worrying about the sound... it's sexy, but poor! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIayCOvo9Qg

petey

Well, if the uke sounds in real life like it does in that video, I'm going to be one happy dude. And that song is damn good too.

Capt-Dave
10-22-2013, 03:37 AM
FWIW: I have a 2007 Martin LX-Black Guitar. LPH body with a Stratabond neck. I am a pilot and have literally carried this guitar all over the world. The guitar has been subjected to travel in non-heated & non-pressurized locations of the aircraft with no problems. I realize this might be apples and oranges but my LPH instrument has been tortured and it still looks and sounds great. Since I have had such good luck with my Martin LPH guitar I am considering a Martin OXK to use as a travel Uke.

I look forward to your review once the Uke arrives...

drbekken
10-22-2013, 04:00 AM
FWIW: I have a 2007 Martin LX-Black Guitar. LPH body with a Stratabond neck. I am a pilot and have literally carried this guitar all over the world. The guitar has been subjected to travel in non-heated & non-pressurized locations of the aircraft with no problems. I realize this might be apples and oranges but my LPH instrument has been tortured and it still looks and sounds great. Since I have had such good luck with my Martin LPH guitar I am considering a Martin OXK to use as a travel Uke.

I look forward to your review once the Uke arrives...

That's the kind of info I like to receive....my ukulele will be on airplanes, in cars, on trains - carried outdoors in near arctic temperatures, dragged along to gigs, and generally subjected to harsh treatment. I have avoided buying a high end solid ukulele for these reasons. Up here in Norway, a solid wood uke would require a great deal of looking after. Of course, serious players of stringed instruments up here use custom instruments or high end factory instruments of various brands, just like anyone else throughout the world. However, I have been on the lookout for a super sturdy quality laminate ukulele - a no hassle thing. Time will show whether or not the OXK is such an instrument.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
10-22-2013, 05:36 AM
Great pick, Doc. Played a few OXKs at a local shop---each had that lovable, classic soprano voice. Looking forward to hearing yours sing.

UkeyDave
10-22-2013, 06:03 AM
Well if its anything like my recently purchased Martin S-1 you will love it. I just can't stop playing mine. One day through lots and lots more practice I hope to be able to give it the playing justice it deserves.

PeteyHoudini
10-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Well, if the uke sounds in real life like it does in that video, I'm going to be one happy dude. And that song is damn good too.

I brought that OXK from Canada to Berlin and it survived the trip and I even came up with that song on my second day in Berlin. The recording is live in my living room while using a Zoom H2 recorder. I overdubbed a bit of melodica afterwards but the uke's sound is so nice. I hope yours will be as nice.

Petey

pdxuke
10-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Doc, I think you'll like yours. I've decided mine is a keeper. For what it's made of, it has an AMAZING sound. In fact, that sound has fooled a lot of people who think it's a much higher end Martin. They did a great job on that uke.
Looking forward to your thoughts

BTW, here's a test I did of several Martins.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?75039-Name-that-martin!

Afterwards, there were some comments about how unscientific it all was, but it would be hard for me to care any less. I'm not the Bell Labs, I'm a guy who likes Martins. :-) Enjoy if it's of any interest to you.

ichadwick
10-26-2013, 11:34 AM
I hemmed and hawed over a Martin T1K but finally bought it and have really grown to like it. It's my current go-to ukulele.

pdxuke
10-26-2013, 11:39 AM
I hemmed and hawed over a Martin T1K but finally bought it and have really grown to like it. It's my current go-to ukulele.

I've played one, and while I don't generally care for tenors this was lovely, and a really good value, methinks.

drbekken
10-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Thanks for that test, pdxuke. I am not ashamed to say I liked the oxk. It held up far better than what I expected. Looking forward to receiving it now.

drbekken
11-06-2013, 12:13 PM
And tomorrow, the OXK is due. It's in the post office now, and will be collected in the morning. Then I will play it for a few days and give you my honest opinion. Can hardly wait!

drbekken
11-09-2013, 05:35 AM
Video of the new OXK now in the video section.

pdxuke
11-09-2013, 06:49 AM
Nice, Doc. So--what do you think?

drbekken
11-09-2013, 07:03 AM
Nice, Doc. So--what do you think?

I like it a lot. Good tone, louder than any of the low grade cheapos I have played, and a nice fretboard. I am happy with the purchase. It came with a compensated saddle; not sure why...I might replace it with a straight one made of bone, but not yet. A keeper, this one, and well set up straight from the box.