Great Jazz Standards? What is your favorite?

Brubeck's "Take Five" sounds good on an ukulele, Brittni Paiva's version is great.

Last edited:
It's "Georga on my mind". I did my own, a little different, arrangement some time ago.

Can't stop playing "Somebody Loves Me" by Gorge Gershwin, especially when strumming my 1920's Regal "Glee Club" soprano. Also "Lazybones" feels just right to play on a little old uke.

Where or When - the Lyle Ritz arrangement. I've been working on this for a year and a half starting way before I had the chops to pull it off. It's been so worth it. I don't think I'll ever stop working on this song.

Where or When - the Lyle Ritz arrangement. I've been working on this for a year and a half starting way before I had the chops to pull it off. It's been so worth it. I don't think I'll ever stop working on this song.

I am starting to work on Lyle Ritz's Fly Me To The Moon. I am not used to 14 chords in one song nor playing up at the 8-10th frets back to 4-5 and back. Getting your fingers in those positions so quickly is a challenge. I need to start watching those Gerald Ross videos!

I guess they were right. I went to a jazz bar and this guy played 8000 chords and made 1 person cheer. I went to a rock concert and this guy played 1 chord and made 80000 people cheer. ;-)

Hmmm......

Jay, I love that joke. I also recommend the Sarah Maisel videos as well. She teaches online via Skype when not performing around the world - great player and singer and such a sweetheart!

Last edited:
I just learned "Lush Life" for season 87, certainly the most challenging song ever for me in terms of vocals, and I think it set a personal record for me for the number of chord voicings I've ever used in a single song.

Here's another one I did a while back, my own arrangement for high-g of Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust".

I like 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square' but there are many very lush songs to choose from.
Cheers
Gary

Hi All, I am not familiar with Jazz standards so I was wondering:

What is your favorite Jazz standard that translates well to ukulele?
Hundreds do. Blue Skies. All of Me. Ain't Misbehavin'. Sunny Side of the Street. Side by Side. Shine on Harvest Moon. The list is long... between 1924 and 34, almost every piece of sheet music published in the USA and Britain came with ukulele arrangements. So many to choose from...

"My Funny Valentine" should work well. Great song to learn and sing, but I really love Fats Waller tunes as well (i.e. Honeysuckle Rose, Ain't Misbehavin, Black and Blue). Anything sung by Billie Holiday will always be in my good books... so many great tunes, but so little time. :cool:

Petey

Interested in Lyle Ritz's - Fly Me To The Moon. Trying to find the chords. Any suggestions. Don't mind buying it, if I can locate the music. Thanks.

Interested in Lyle Ritz's - Fly Me To The Moon. Trying to find the chords. Any suggestions. Don't mind buying it, if I can locate the music. Thanks.

Flea Market Music has 3 Lyle Ritz jazz books (I think you can even get them thru Amazon), and one of them definitely has his Fly Me To The Moon. Very nice arrangement; if you're a jazz uke player, it's not much of what Lyle calls a "knuckle buster".

Jay, I love that joke. I also recommend the Sarah Maisel videos as well. She teaches online via Skype when not performing around the world - great player and singer and such a sweetheart!

Thanks. I am watching a few folks on YouTube. Definitely a challenge learning all these new positions and transitioning smoothly between them but the chords are fantastic sounding.

Flea Market Music has 3 Lyle Ritz jazz books (I think you can even get them thru Amazon), and one of them definitely has his Fly Me To The Moon. Very nice arrangement; if you're a jazz uke player, it's not much of what Lyle calls a "knuckle buster".

I ordered the orange covered one. I was told that's a great one to start with.

Top Bottom