Kala Mahogany Archtop Tenor Ukulele Youtube Review

Stackabones

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCRC0l6fB48

I got this week from MGM out in Hawaii! Mailed to me ... I wish I could've gone out to Hawaii to pick it up. It came with a case and a uke chord book. Super guy to do biz with!!!

Tenor what?
KalaArchtopoohyeah.jpg

Man Ray would've dug this.
KalaArchtopbodyshot.jpg

Aarrgghh!!! A7#9!?!?
KalaArchtopukeface.jpg

After that crazy chord, chill with the palm trees.
KalaArchtoppalmtree.jpg

A few more screen captures from the vid!

Keying in my passcode to disarm the high voltage security system.
KalaArchtopbatterybox.jpg

Voila! I am touching my chin with my thumb!
KalaArchtopthereyago.jpg

That looks very JAZZ. :cool:

Could you guys give an appraisal of the sound? Is this a new model? I haven't seen it in the UK yet, where no doubt it will be twice as expensive!

It looks great though, I want one NOW!

That looks very JAZZ. :cool:

Could you guys give an appraisal of the sound? Is this a new model? I haven't seen it in the UK yet, where no doubt it will be twice as expensive!

It looks great though, I want one NOW!

IIRC, MGM had a few prototypes several months ago. I guess there was a solid response and now it's in wider production. There is also a sunburst and maybe another color? MGM mentioned shipping ukes to Germany, so the UK shouldn't be a problem, right?

I don't have much to compare, but I'll give it a shot.

I also have an MGM mahogany pineapple soprano (with little finish) and it seems a little brighter and tad more lively and responsive. A student of mine has a Lanakai mahog (?) soprano and the volume of the archtop seems to keep up with it.

But none of them beat the vibe of this archie uke. I have yet to really test out the electronics. I did plug into my Pignose just to make sure that it worked ... it did! I need to plug it into my Scherlter Unico to get a better idea of the pup.

btw ... here's the grandpa of the tenor archtop uke. A date stamp inside one of the f-holes says 1935, but there is nothing else to identify it. I'll eventually get a family photo. ;)

Image045.jpg

i just saw your review on youtube , without knowing that you were a member here too .

the review pretty much got me to buy one , just waiting for it to show up - can't wait - the tone , even thru youtube and my poor quality speakers , was beautiful. :)

i went for the sunburst

i just saw your review on youtube , without knowing that you were a member here too .

the review pretty much got me to buy one , just waiting for it to show up - can't wait - the tone , even thru youtube and my poor quality speakers , was beautiful. :)

i went for the sunburst

Cool! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

That was cool...you ole hound dog you! :p:shaka:

Thanks for the review.

I like the Palm Trees.

They are nice, aren't they? :cool:

farout your making me want to buy one now :(
hahaha id love the black version
nice baby to take to gigs and stuff haha
just dont forget a couple of spare batts :shaka:

Top Bottom