Sound Comparison : Luis Feu de Mesquita and Moore Bettah Ukulele

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just playing my ukes and decided to make a video. Broke a nail so decided to cut all my nails. I didn't realize how hard it is to play and that affected my memory as well. Lot of wrong notes!!! :p Anyways, this is for the sound comparison and not my playing ability.

I think I put the recorder to close as the gain was too high so sounds distorted at parts. Too lazy to make another one...I'll wait until I get some more ukes. ;)

Man those ukes sound good -- and such a different tone between them, too. That spruce is briiiight!

Same strings on each?

Man those ukes sound good -- and such a different tone between them, too. That spruce is briiiight!

Same strings on each?

Oh yeah, that's why I made a sound comparison as they both have Southcoast Smooth medium tension strings. I am waiting for the higher tension ones that should come out in a few weeks. Thanks for the reminder.

BTW, I wish the LFDM was brighter as the MBU is warmer than most koa ukes I've played so wanted something on the other side of the spectrum.

Last edited:
I listened with my back turned, and my ear said Moore Bettah. It would be interesting to hear the same wood combination, though.

I listened with my back turned, and my ear said Moore Bettah. It would be interesting to hear the same wood combination, though.

Nothing is easier to play than the MBU!! Sound is subjective and diff't wood so not a good comparison. It would be nice if Andrew made another comparison video!!

Thanks Daniel, those really do sound so different, yet so good. Nice to contrast the sound of two great tenors with the same strings. Variety in the sound of your ukes, keeps it interesting.

I think the sound difference here is more from the build than the top wood. Have you ever played a spruce top MBU?

Thanks Daniel, those really do sound so different, yet so good. Nice to contrast the sound of two great tenors with the same strings. Variety in the sound of your ukes, keeps it interesting.

I think the sound difference here is more from the build than the top wood. Have you ever played a spruce top MBU?

Hi Hodge

I played Stan's Spruce / Milo and you are right about build and luthier. I felt that the MBUs are similar in sound regardless of top wood. Of course, there is variations but not as much as you would think. Even though spruce is my favorite top wood and I believe in having two diff't woods, I am extremely honored to get an all koa uke from Chuck. I was the first one to respond and had a choice to get either one and I believe I made the right choice. :)

Ukulele Haiku by Nongdam

Broke a nail
lost my memory
played wrong notes
sounds distorted
too lazy
need more ukes

This is all of us brother! Nice ukes!

HAHAHA...that is hilarious and sad and true. What's depressing is that I've been so busy at work, I play about 30 mins the last week. I'm going to make it a point to play a little more this week.

Top Bottom