New Old Banjolele Day!

gitarzan

Reaction score
Stopped by my local MGR today, playing my way down the aisles, strummed a few jazz boxes, and old Stella with a warped top (played and sounded good!), a few Yamaha boxes, and a couple parlor sized A&Ls Amis. Finally I was there... in the ukulele section.

Lotsa Ukes hanging in there. Most have been at least 30 or 40. Mostly Lanakais, Mahalos and Oscar Schmidts. Nothing too dreamy.

Then I saw a lonely old Werco Blue Sparkle Banjo Ukulele. It was missing the saddle and I tried to tune it anyway and found that the G tuner has no friction. Otherwise, it was in nice but dirty condition.

I was always intrigued by these metal necked things. The Werco neck is supposedly Zinc with a chrome coating.

The skin was OK, maybe needs a little tightening, a little dirty but cool looking.

The shell is wooden and has a blue sparkle cover. Werco was a drum company, hence the drumlike shell.

Anyway I look forward to fixing this. A friend sent me images of the bridge on his Dixie Banjolele, shot against a ruler in case I decide to fabricate my own. I'll search for one first.

The tuner should be repairable, I hope. I suspect there is some materiel on the post that is dried out and slick. We'll see.

Here the Pix:

1385440_10202220696623360_1323366816_n.jpg945225_10202220699623435_1031917774_n.jpg

By the way, I did buy it. :eek:

Congrats on the find. Hope you have a ball fixing it up and playing it. Glad I jumped into banjo ukeing.

Top Bottom