Glyph Curly Koa Concert ...a good mistake

Doc_J

Reaction score
I thought a Glyph Curly Koa tenor was going to arrive today. But the eBay seller had made a mistake, it was a 15-inch scale concert. I had even asked the seller if the scale was 17-inches, and was assured it was. I was disappointed, until played the Glyph Curly Koa Concert.

The good news is that this Glyph is the best sounding concert I have ever played, and maybe the prettiest one, too. So, I had to keep it. Didn't get what I thought I was buying, but when such a wonderful uke shows up I can't be upset. The seller and I worked it out to what we agreed was fair. Guess it was a good mistake.

I understand why Dave Means had a 3-year backlog of orders for ukes.

Here's a sound sample of this Glyph:
https://app.box.com/s/35grrmjrkxqkb7y2mcqh

...and a few pics.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

If that sounds as half as good as it looks, that's a winner.

Gorgeous...

That one does sound good. Great score. Does that mean your custom Kanilea concert is for sale now?

Oh my! I was watching that Glyph, just because I admire Dave Means' instruments and this one is so beautiful. I don't play tenors so I hadn't thought about bidding at all. I do play concerts, however. So, yeah, a very lucky mistake I would say, Doc. The sound sample is...wow! Nice score. Congratulations!

Nice! Serendipity did tilt your way on this one.

:drool: I wouldn't be able to part with it either............course a concert size is my favorite. Congrats on the fortuitousness of it all.

Congrats Hodge, it's beautiful glad you scored a happy mistake.... it sure looks like a concert in your pictures and real nice.. :) happy strummings..

Holy smoke, Hodge! What a cool mistake. Now you know that when a tenor floats by, you'll grab it with gusto.

Dave is such a wonderful man and an amazing builder. A student brought a brand new, solid myrtle concert Glyph to a lesson a while back and man did it make me want one. He hasn't taken orders for years now, but I can dream. And in the mean time I snatched a mya moe solid myrtle concert from the marketplace. You've got a real keeper there. Glad you can consider it a good mistake.

Really wonderful clarity in the sound sample, Hodge! The wood in this uke is stunning and details: love those fret markers.

It looks like a radiused fretboard, is that correct?

As an aside, how many of your ukes are radiused, Hodge? I'm curious to know if that appeals to you.

I would have kept this uke as well, a nice mistake for sure!

Congratulations, sir!

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Ray, you're right, this Glyph is a keeper.

Very nice Hodge. I particularly like the koa on the bridge.

Mitch

Mitch, I wasn't sure about the look of the bridge from the seller's pics (bad lighting). But I like it. I think the koa on the rosewood is striking and integrates well.

Really wonderful clarity in the sound sample, Hodge! The wood in this uke is stunning and details: love those fret markers.

It looks like a radiused fretboard, is that correct?

As an aside, how many of your ukes are radiused, Hodge? I'm curious to know if that appeals to you.

I would have kept this uke as well, a nice mistake for sure!

Congratulations, sir!

Craig, you have a good eye. The Glyph has a gentle radius on fretboard. I do appreciate that larger radius on the fretboard. About 30% of my ukes have radiused fretboards. It really doesn't make much difference to me.

The inlaid fretmarkers are also very well done.

The clarity and resonance of the instrument are outstanding, this is the best concert I have played. I think the uke benefited from being played a fair amount.

And it has 13-frets to the body, as does Collings and my Makapili.

Last edited:
Top Bottom