PDA

View Full Version : We need a get together in Socal...

generem
01-17-2009, 04:13 PM
C'mon Guys and Gals. We need a meet or a get together here in Socal... I wouldnt mind driving

Lets set something up..

Spuash
01-17-2009, 06:03 PM
IM down! just imme a when and where and ill come

Bigg
01-20-2009, 12:15 AM
I would like to setup monthly meets in OC, but need to find a place to host them. PM me with any ideas, and I'll see what I can find on my own. You guys down for a monthly thing?

SuperSecretBETA
01-20-2009, 07:08 AM
I might be down for anywhere in Ventura County or the Valley. SB OC and SD are too far for me.

generem
01-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Im open to driving. I probably wont drive to San Diego or Santa Barbara on a weekly basis but I would occasionally for the LOVE of the Ukulele.

Set it up on a weekend and I'm there. If I didnt live in an apartment, I would totally HOST

UkEdman90
01-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Yo! SO CALLERS! man i have been wanting to jam for EVER! i have to jam with a guitar and drums across the street when i want to but i really want to jam with UKERS! This is also a call to all thoze in the IE! COME ON! LETS JAM!

flipanda
01-21-2009, 11:41 PM
id love to meet other players, im down to drive and do a monthly thing. though im not great at the ukulele since ive only been playin couple of months. id love to join you guys tho.

polynesianpop
01-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Count me in. I live in the Eastvale/Corona/Chino Hills area in the IE. I'm willing to drive if necessary - just call out the dates/times! :rock:

01-22-2009, 07:49 AM
I would like to setup monthly meets in OC, but need to find a place to host them. PM me with any ideas, and I'll see what I can find on my own. You guys down for a monthly thing?

you set up something in the OC, i'llplan my visits to at least join in once in a while. i got fam in RSM and have been speaking with nurdabeen (sp?) with hooking up next time i fly down, ukulele in tow.

UkEdman90
01-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Count me in. I live in the Eastvale/Corona/Chino Hills area in the IE. I'm willing to drive if necessary - just call out the dates/times! :rock:

I LIVE RIGHT UP ARCHIBALD!!!! we probably live about 10 away!

generem
01-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Alright then. I propose either Feb 6 or Feb 21. Lets agree on a date at least then figure out where.

I was thinking an L&L's would welcome us :music:Ukulele players:music:. If we can agree on a city to meet at, we can call ahead and ask for permission.

Anyone else have an Idea where to meet? I live off Nogales on the 60 Freeway. and there is a couple of Filipino restaurants that might welcome us too...

Never done this before but is there some type of format or do we just show up.

UkEdman90
01-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Alright then. I propose either Feb 6 or Feb 21. Lets agree on a date at least then figure out where.

I was thinking an L&L's would welcome us :music:Ukulele players:music:. If we can agree on a city to meet at, we can call ahead and ask for permission.

Anyone else have an Idea where to meet? I live off Nogales on the 60 Freeway. and there is a couple of Filipino restaurants that might welcome us too...

i dont know about a restaurant...:confused:

generem
01-23-2009, 12:26 PM
i dont know about a restaurant...:confused:

Only suggested a public place cuz I wasnt sure how someone would feel about having perfect strangers in their home.. But then again, we play the ukulele so how dangerous could we be:nana:

If someone will host, I'll bring food and/or drinks...:rock:

cpatch
01-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Depends on whether you want to do an open mic sort of thing or more of a kanikapila. If the latter then I'd suggest agreeing on a playlist beforehand so everyone can print out chord sheets to make sure they're at least familiar with the changes and (pardon the pun) on the same page.

Craig

UkEdman90
01-23-2009, 12:49 PM
i would do it at my casa but not shure about the parental units and such. why not an outdoor jam or something? Nice Park maybee?

Harold O.
01-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Hello, I'm new here. New to the ukedome as well. There's a shop called Guitar Merchant in Canoga Park that I know well. I've talked with the owner about getting a regular uke gathering together in their concert area (there's a stage and room for about 50 people). He's up for it.

All I have to do is let him know the date, time, and how many people. If we get enough folks showing up on a regular basis, we can call ourselves a club and likely draw in some visitors from time to time. As time goes on, we'll have to discuss renting the room and other (semi-official) matters, but we can skate by a few times.

Harold O.

UkEdman90
01-23-2009, 01:57 PM
to far for me bro but that sounds nice for thoze out there and welcome to the FORUMS!

SuperSecretBETA
01-23-2009, 05:52 PM
to far for me bro but that sounds nice for thoze out there and welcome to the FORUMS!

awww West Hills is probably the farthest I'd go.

California's too big. Even Southern California's huge. I have a feeling it'd have to be separated as LA, OC, and SD meetings.

mmanalo
01-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Well I live in San Diego, and a few of my boys jam da uke. But gathering at a music shop wouldn't be a bad idea. Some of dem actualy have a sound booth that you can go into and test guitars. Ders a store here in San Diego called Freedom Guitars and we went in der and started jammen for a good half an hour or so. But it was only 3 of us. I'm pretty sure if you find a good music shop dat sells a decent amount of ukes and sweet talk dem in letting a group use da booth for like an hour or 2, dey wouldn't mind. Jus tell dem you'll actualy be bringing bussiness dat might lead to some purchases. But if anyone is down to meet up in San Diego let me know!

Harold O.
01-24-2009, 04:31 AM
People from outside Southern California don't always appreciate the size of this place. Without traffic it can still take a couple of hours to drive clear of the urban world.

I grew up in San Diego and always thought THAT was SoCal. After 20 years in LA, I've adapted my thinking. Jeez, the San Fernando Valley almost seceded from the city of LA a few years ago. If it had, it would have instantly become the 6th largest city in the US.

That said, I am still up for making arrangements with the guys at Guitar Merchant for uke meeting space. PM or post here if you are in this area (you know who you are) and want to participate. Then we can pick days/times.

Of course, I've already called a couple of guys over to my house this afternoon for a "I know less than you do" uke fest. There will likely be beer involved. And rum.

UkEdman90
01-24-2009, 04:54 AM
People from outside Southern California don't always appreciate the size of this place. Without traffic it can still take a couple of hours to drive clear of the urban world.

I grew up in San Diego and always thought THAT was SoCal. After 20 years in LA, I've adapted my thinking. Jeez, the San Fernando Valley almost seceded from the city of LA a few years ago. If it had, it would have instantly become the 6th largest city in the US.

That said, I am still up for making arrangements with the guys at Guitar Merchant for uke meeting space. PM or post here if you are in this area (you know who you are) and want to participate. Then we can pick days/times.

Of course, I've already called a couple of guys over to my house this afternoon for a "I know less than you do" uke fest. There will likely be beer involved. And rum.

BEER AND RUM! YOU ROCK! to bad im 18! haha pluss heading out to fish today! but you know what what i said about being to far i will just snag my dads car and have to join yall at you next gathering!

SuperSecretBETA
01-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Anyone near Ventura County or San Fernando Valley? Maybe we can set something up at Tutu's Hawaiian Ice Cream Shack in Simi Valley. It seems like a place open to an ukulele meetup... as long as we buy some shave ice or ice cream. After all, it's a business.

http://tutusicecream.com/Welcome.html

JumpingPulgas
01-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Anyone near Ventura County or San Fernando Valley? Maybe we can set something up at Tutu's Hawaiian Ice Cream Shack in Simi Valley. It seems like a place open to an ukulele meetup... as long as we buy some shave ice or ice cream. After all, it's a business.

http://tutusicecream.com/Welcome.html

I'm here in thousand oaks. Where are you located? Where is Tutu's?

SuperSecretBETA
01-27-2009, 07:11 AM
I'm here in thousand oaks. Where are you located? Where is Tutu's?

I live off the 118. Tutu's is at 4332 Cochran St Simi Valley, CA. For those who don't feel like googling it, it's between the Tapo Canyon Rd and Stearns St exits and its closest intersection is Tapo St / Cochran St. The place tends to stand out with a bright yellow and green sign and usually a strange 3-wheeled yellow vehicle in the parking lot.

To those who need incentive, they have Pineapple Dole Whip! You can only get that stuff at Disney amusements parks and Hawaii! You can skip the Disney ticket or tickets for flights to Hawaii and just come here.

I should probably start asking what times people are available.

generem
01-27-2009, 11:55 AM
I live off the 118. Tutu's is at 4332 Cochran St Simi Valley, CA. For those who don't feel like googling it, it's between the Tapo Canyon Rd and Stearns St exits and its closest intersection is Tapo St / Cochran St. The place tends to stand out with a bright yellow and green sign and usually a strange 3-wheeled yellow vehicle in the parking lot.

To those who need incentive, they have Pineapple Dole Whip! You can only get that stuff at Disney amusements parks and Hawaii! You can skip the Disney ticket or tickets for flights to Hawaii and just come here.

Set it up on the weekend and I'll drive down

UkEdman90
01-28-2009, 07:53 AM

mmmmmm Pineapple Dole Whip :rolleyes:

polynesianpop
01-28-2009, 10:36 AM
I LIVE RIGHT UP ARCHIBALD!!!! we probably live about 10 away!

I am near the intersection of Archibald and Limonite! I've tried to get a group together in our area in the past but didn't seem to get much interest. I'm guessing there aren't many Ukers in the IE.

SuperSecretBETA
01-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Set it up on the weekend and I'll drive down

I don't know for sure about this weekend. I might be gone visiting friends for the superbowl. I'll know by Thursday night.

generem
01-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I don't know for sure about this weekend. I might be gone visiting friends for the superbowl. I'll know by Thursday night.

This weekend is bad for me too but Im free feb 7th and 21st. Let me know:shaka:

UkEdman90
01-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I am near the intersection of Archibald and Limonite! I've tried to get a group together in our area in the past but didn't seem to get much interest. I'm guessing there aren't many Ukers in the IE.

DUDE! IM DOWN! consider IE group that has two members now! you and me! haha! hey do you fish?

generem
01-28-2009, 12:10 PM

If you guys are gonna meet up. let me know. If it fits my schedule... I head down

UkEdman90
01-28-2009, 06:05 PM
If you guys are gonna meet up. let me know. If it fits my schedule... I head down

that would b sweet! i will shoot you a pm!

Ploy pop where would you wana meet up? a park? restaurant? etc.

PaulGeo
02-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Howdy. New here and new to uke, but I'd love to come and watch y'all play :). I live in Santa Clarita and work in Agoura, so anywhere in between works for me. Aloha!

salukulady
02-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Welcome to your newest addiction, PaulGeo.

Harold O.
02-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Hey PaulGeo! Shoot me a PM and I'll get you the details on our Woodland Hills group.

Especially if you travel between Santa Clarita and Augora. We're right in the middle. If you can't make Sundays, we can arrange a day at Guitar Merchant in Canoga Park during the week.

Fast Dash 8
02-02-2009, 05:36 PM
DUDE! IM DOWN! consider IE group that has two members now! you and me! haha! hey do you fish?

If you two want to do something, count me in, supposing I find a ride. Maybe we can raid Island Burgers while we're at it. They might give us free stuff if we play, hahah. They gave me complimentary meals at Rubios for playing a song for them :)

PaulGeo
02-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks guys. Actually, I got a ukulele for my 9 year old for Christmas, and in the course of trying to show him how to play (from a book), I'm also hooked :)

Harold O, you have a pm :rotfl:

generem
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
If you two want to do something, count me in, supposing I find a ride. Maybe we can raid Island Burgers while we're at it. They might give us free stuff if we play, hahah. They gave me complimentary meals at Rubios for playing a song for them :)

See this makes 4. Let me know when you guys wanna to hang out

SuperSecretBETA
02-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Well, I guess there will be a rain delay on any Tutu's Hawaiian meet this weekend. Next weekend is Valentine's. That's probably not a good idea either. Maybe Sunday 15th or Saturday 21st would be better. Although, if nobody minds the rain, we can still do it. At least humidity will be up. :p

Any news on the Woodland Hills thing?

Harold O.
02-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Woodland Hills? Yes. Sunday the 15th at Mike McClellan's. We have (I think) four people already. The guys at Guitar Merchant will donate space once we outgrow Mike's living room so I guess we're off and running.

Pharmaceutical.Bandit
02-08-2009, 08:35 PM
i have been slipping with my attendance of the forums and havent kept up with any of the regional things

but harold o,

theres a place in moorpark called west coast pizza co or something like that, that has open mic nights on fridays i think. lately i've been in simi valley because a buddy of mine just opened up an arcade in the plaza of the northeast corner of first st and los angeles ave. the place is about 10 miles from first and los angeles. but theres a dude that comes into the arcade who plays uke and has a band that plays the pizza place. i havent met the guy yet, but somebody that knows about the pizza place and the guy's band posts here on the forums. maybe this pizza place will be cool enough to host a uke jam. i'm supposed to check the place out this coming friday 13th. ill see what the place is about.

oh, i live in the san fernando valley. but i'm down for a session if the thing gets big enough. im pretty new to uke still and only know a few songs and many of the simple chords.

edit: it's called West Coast Pizza & Pasta

also.... i hear the place is filipino owned. maybe they're hawaiian/filipino.

tribal_theory1
02-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Don't know how many of you from north of San Diego are willing to travel...but we may have something big brewing for this April! Check this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9021&page=3) out, I'd like to make this a big annual or semi-annual event, and I'd like you all to be involved! :shaka: