PDA

View Full Version : Season 88 of the Ukulele: Forget What You Know!

Pages : 1 [2]

UkeyDave
10-25-2013, 03:25 AM
You should change the m.youtube.com to www.youtube.com (http://www.youtube.com) like this:

thank you Xommen. You're a star.

UkeyDave
10-25-2013, 03:34 AM
Can this be my grandsons first season entry? It could also qualify for tutorial I think.
His name is Toby and he is five years old (is this youngest ever entry?). He always shows an interest when he hears me play and generally picks up and starts strumming the uke I donated to them for such a purpose. I thought I'd start off with a simple first lesson which held his attention for five minutes. He seemed to enjoy it. I think he may actually stick with it unlike his elder sister who despite repeated attempts I struggle to get her interested in the uke.
Prior to this first lesson my first request to him was "please don't pick it up by wrapping your fingers around the strings at the sound hole, it really won't do much for the tuning".

http://youtu.be/Ln674MevUso}

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 06:47 AM
So , what have you all been up to?

I have to apologize -- a bit of an emergency here and I have not been able to catch up with the playlists. I will do that as soon as I can. It's nearly 7pm/19:00 here but I generally stay up fairly late so I will catch up. Very sorry.

In the meantime, look after each other, okay?

GinnyT11
10-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Oh Lily, I hope it's a manageable emergency. Lasering supportive thoughts your way!

caukulele
10-25-2013, 07:12 AM
This is a wonderful theme this week, with so many beautiful videos. My husband and I were talking about what we could do this week..with little time....and the passing of MGM Mike has hit us hard this week, as we spent a wonderful weekend with him in September when we had side by side booths...so we wanted to do a song as our memorial to him and his magical smile, and so we decided to learn this song.......Just three takes..so not the best technically..but it is from our hearts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9v0nUxTsl4

librainian
10-25-2013, 07:31 AM
Vid #2 for me this week is a song by Blaze Foley called "No Goodwill Stores In Waikiki" I bumped into this artist through my dad and then through Spotify research. Spotify is such a great tool for finding related songs and artists I can't recommend it highly enough if you haven't tried it yet.

Anyway, this is another simple song that uses Travis picking elements which is something I am working on both on Ukulele and guitar. With guitar it is somehow easier because you have those two lower strings to really get the walking base line feel but it is still possible on uke with a little creative license. Sometimes you have to drop one note in the pattern or add some different syncopation to get it to work. I was working within the three take limit on this song and for some reason I am looking heavenward. I think it's a combination of trying to recall the next verse, which I managed to flub twice anyway, and not look at my hands. At any rate it looks a little odd.

I thought this song was fun for a couple of reasons. One it mentions Goodwill stores, which is where I found the Baritone uke I am using, and two, it mentions Waikiki so there's a ukulele tie in there. Ok - enough of my yakking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltZjZIYypMs

ukuleledaddy
10-25-2013, 09:00 AM
I'm in big trouble. These seasons just keep getting more and more fun. As I type I should be cleaning our toilets. I must admit I am addicted.
I've tried on just about two dozen songs this week and most just don't fit very well for one reason or another.

For some reason, maybe it's the foggy morning, I really had an itch to play something a bit melancholy today. Thought I found the perfect song. I tried my best to squeeze into this song this morning for about an hour and it just won't work. Tried another. Then another. Then I found this. First time I had ever heard it. Laid it down in two takes. Not a bad fit I think.

Sorry to bring this super fun season down with this one. As I was playing it made me think of my wife's dad who has terminal lung cancer. How do you ever get over losing a parent? And his wife? How the hell are you supposed to go on?
Anyway, I promise my next tune will be quite a bit more up tempo.

Lucinda Williams........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC4FJhC-3pQ

Shady Wilbury
10-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Thanks for bringing the melancholy, Sean. I wanted to also, but I'm glad you've done it first. Ever thought about 'Sweet Old World'? (Might be a little raw, but I'd love to hear you do it sometime.) Any chance you'd share the chords for this?

Tootler
10-25-2013, 09:36 AM
No. 3

This is a song I've actually known for some time but have only ever sung it out once and that unaccompanied. I've never done it with accompaniment. I found I had already sussed out some chords so I decided I would make this my third entry.

It's by Robbie Burns and is an absolutely cracking song. I just hope I've done it justice.

http://youtu.be/47d3jm1_KHA

Second take this time. I made a couple of errors in the first take and would probably have just accepted it except that I swore when I made the second mistake, so decided to have a second try.

we tigers
10-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Lily challenged me to do the Locomotion so here it is. Thanks Lily. I think the Partridge family challenge will be tougher to master but I WONT BE BEATEN. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5OuQ6LbXdQ
for some reason my iPad won't post a pictorial video version. iPad and you tube is a bloody awful combination. So frustrating.

Cool song to do, Dave. Reminded me of the splendid album So Lucky by French jazz guitarist Noel Akchotť. Check out his version:
http://youtu.be/L_2HCgrJ-Vo

mm stan
10-25-2013, 10:40 AM
This is a wonderful theme this week, with so many beautiful videos. My husband and I were talking about what we could do this week..with little time....and the passing of MGM Mike has hit us hard this week, as we spent a wonderful weekend with him in September when we had side by side booths...so we wanted to do a song as our memorial to him and his magical smile, and so we decided to learn this song.......Just three takes..so not the best technically..but it is from our hearts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9v0nUxTsl4

Aloha Denise and Hubby Ray....Great job and amazing singing and playing...thank you for the memorial tribute to mike.... happy Strummings..

Shady Wilbury
10-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Here's my entry - a Ry Cooder song that just has to be played, any way you can...and we all know the easiest way to play most things is with ukulele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nxW-4ENIkI

Enjoy!

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Okay, I have no idea what happened while I was gone.

A few comments:

Not a Train Wreck - more along the lines of a bicycle tipping over, I think.

Second take, third time I played it.

But hey - it's Mellencamp!
It is indeed! I love your interpretation of this. Really nice. I enjoyed it a lot and I'm amazed that this is only the third time you played it.

Whoops.
I will post the one I REALLY wanted to play over on the island- expecting it is not kid friendly? I hope not.
This was awesome! Singing along. Loved it. When I come to Cloverdale, let's play this.

ok here is ANOTHER vid. will someone please post some kind of warning, that you might THINK when you first discover the seasons that you will just post one vid every now and again IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. this place is addictive

more go-go's - it's a song about everyone here on the seasons - WE GOT THE BEAT

right. now i'm off to check out the million and a half posts that have gone up here since i started doing THIS post!
Yeah, it is addictive. We're afraid if we warn people they will stay away.

This was wonderful! I sang along to this one, too. Remember when I said Our Lips Are Sealed was my favorite? It might be We Got the Beat. Or Vacation. It doesn't matter anyway. (See what I did there?) Where was I? Oh, right. I loved this. That's all.

decaturcomp -- Supastah!
Hee. Love your titles (although the next one is even better). This was a lovely version of this song. Very nice.

So are we taking this season by force and sparing our delightful host no quarter? I am in if that is what we are doing here.
Alan- While stupid Youtube is lagging uploading my next video...I want you to know I am singing this little Carpenters jam at the top of my lungs.
Magical.
Totally on top of the world. Looking down on creation,
The only explanation I can find is that we are quite possibly all nuts.
Sigh.

decaturcomp -- Close to Ewe
This was a beautiful interpretation of this song! And hey, I have hair of gold(ish) and eyes of blue! It's another song about ME! And it's a perfect song for horse racing week. Oh, wait; having a flashback. (Y'know, 'cause Burt Bacharach owned racehorses.) Where was I? Oh, this was lovely. The ending was wonderful.

So, of course in introducing my video, I got it all wrong. It ain't a Josie Cotton song the GoGo's covered, and it ain't going to the island. I suppose I can set the record straight, I do have a rule about this named for me.

I was not going to post it on this side, because at first I was thinking like my students (which is not really thinking at all most of the time- puberty is ROUGH), and I did not want to come across as patronizing or pejorative, thus offending someone. I say in the video that it is not family friendly, but it is.
There are no expletives in this song, and it was celebrated in a huge way by the gay community (still is) and really, it is just a joke. This is not about homophobia or anything like that- more a celebration, and just me having a little fun (at least I am clothed). I have no intention to offend, only entertain so I hope it does that-if not, turn it off. It is the internet and you are in charge.
And finally a chance to play my favorite GoGo's song...
Johnny Are You Queer?
This was really quite poignant the way you interpreted it, I thought. I thought it was lovely.

And their off...Boy Lily is going to wake up to a mess ;)

My assessment is that everything went off the rails while I was asleep and away from my computer. By "went off the rails" I mean "became unbelievably awesome." Yay!

The playlist is updated through TCK's entry (as in the comments, only I got a couple out of order, I think). I will have to finish up with that in a little while. Thanks again for your patience, everyone!

ukuleledaddy
10-25-2013, 11:37 AM
This is an enormous train wreck. But, I figured after my last song (what a downer huh?) I'd try to spread a little joy.
Thanks for hosting such an awesome week Lily! I've been having too much fun. Poor Ukulelewife needs her clothes washed, toilets scrubbed, clothes clean......
I can't help myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTqdeXnyfko

Srax
10-25-2013, 12:07 PM
This week have been a hard one. A lot of work, too much busy...But this week has been also, very encouraging. I like very much this theme because makes me improving, or face me new challenges. This week I've tried to play, with a little of dignity, a beautiful song from our seasonista Doug. This is a song with chords that I never had played. I know that I've to work hard to be at the similar level than him, this is my little demonstration that here, in the season there are good people, and good uke players, and musicians, and Doug is one of them.

Thanks for your generosity! I'm learning a lot with all of you!

Regards

Sara

http://youtu.be/YVYkNRaUjP8

pabrizzer
10-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Vid #2 for me this week is a song by Blaze Foley called "No Goodwill Stores In Waikiki" I bumped into this artist through my dad and then through Spotify research. Spotify is such a great tool for finding related songs and artists I can't recommend it highly enough if you haven't tried it yet.

Anyway, this is another simple song that uses Travis picking elements which is something I am working on both on Ukulele and guitar. With guitar it is somehow easier because you have those two lower strings to really get the walking base line feel but it is still possible on uke with a little creative license. Sometimes you have to drop one note in the pattern or add some different syncopation to get it to work. I was working within the three take limit on this song and for some reason I am looking heavenward. I think it's a combination of trying to recall the next verse, which I managed to flub twice anyway, and not look at my hands. At any rate it looks a little odd.

I thought this song was fun for a couple of reasons. One it mentions Goodwill stores, which is where I found the Baritone uke I am using, and two, it mentions Waikiki so there's a ukulele tie in there. Ok - enough of my yakking.

This is just fantastic Andrew.
Love everything about it. Especially the foot stomp (which I have trouble doing).
Great song too.

KoaDependent
10-25-2013, 12:37 PM
This is an enormous train wreck. But, I figured after my last song (what a downer huh?) I'd try to spread a little joy.
Thanks for hosting such an awesome week Lily! I've been having too much fun. Poor Ukulelewife needs her clothes washed, toilets scrubbed, clothes clean......
I can't help myself.

Hope she doesn't need those clothes hung up as well, because it appears someone's turned all the hangers into kazoo holders.

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 02:26 PM
And did decaturcomp get some kind of exemption to the one-song-per-day rule? (not that we aren't enjoying your prodigious output)
Good question. I take full responsibility for this. I really haven't kept track of people post one entry per day, partly because then I have to figure out what time zone everybody is in. Some people claim to have interpreted the rule as one per day on average; that's their story and they're sticking to it. It's not what I had in mind but I wasn't clear so I feel I should let that slide.

To be fair to everyone, and at the same time not to ick on anyone's wow, I will not actually count entries above eight, but nobody will be allowed more than eight entries in the snazzy hat (which is what you would get at one per day).

And we must all remain suitably impressed at xommen's accomplishment of going for the one-per-day challenge at its most literal and, thus far, succeeding. (Wim, that DOES include the closing day, Sunday, right? You're off the hook for Monday morning in spite of our being twelve hours ahead of Hawai'i.)

I hope everyone is okay with that.

Here's my third effort for the season.
I was wondering what to play, then it hit me that it was my birthday tomorrow, and I'll be 64. So the song chose itself really. Thank goodness I was only allowed three takes otherwise I'd still be trying to hit those high notes. Damn just missed them again

I am having a lot of fun, but I haven't got time to do anything else. By the time I rehearse a bit, make the clip, look at other much more worthy entrants, dream about the next song, next season etc., the day is gone.

Thank you to everybody for all the encouragement, too. It's much appreciated
Yay! Happy birthday, Rusty! Woo-hoo!!! Many happy returns of the day! This was so much fun, not only because you did a great job (many hours from now -- hee!) but because it was just so nice to share a musically iconic birthday with you. George would be honored.

More Carpenters comin' at ya TCK ;) Feel free to sing along.
I sang along! We're fabulous together, myrna. You had me smiling through the whole song! You sang and played it beautifully and just exuded happiness and fun. What a treat.

i searched for a song that i hadn't looked at before..and found a cliff edwards gem....here's his version...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxyhKV7NPi8
and here's mine...
thanks for watching!
cheers!
This was great! I'm surprised there was a Cliff Edwards song you didn't know (or rather, hadn't played before). You did a wonderful job with this and it sounded like you've been playing it for years. Loved it.

UkeCan1
10-25-2013, 02:37 PM
This week have been a hard one. A lot of work, too much busy...But this week has been also, very encouraging. I like very much this theme because makes me improving, or face me new challenges. This week I've tried to play, with a little of dignity, a beautiful song from our seasonista Doug. This is a song with chords that I never had played. I know that I've to work hard to be at the similar level than him, this is my little demonstration that here, in the season there are good people, and good uke players, and musicians, and Doug is one of them.

Regards

Sara

Sara, this was amazing! You don't need all the disclaimers ... you play and sing beautifully. And what a wonderful song - jazz on the uke is my favorite uke sound. I want to learn it! Can you share the words and chords?

Beautiful!
- Wendy

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Well Happy Birthday!!! I can completely relate to your post here. I have to really watch myself or before I know it I've done nothing all day but play, listen to or search for songs for the seasons. I've been hooked for 88 weeks now and this crazy ride has a strangle hold on me. It's often my only source of sanity.
This is your source of sanity? That's awesome. I'm pretty sure you're in big trouble but nobody here is going to judge.

This is my friday entry, Grace by the Choir. This uke is tuned in Bb so I had to find a song that needed that, this was the one I guess.
I'm loving your video-a-day challenge, and I love that you're using a different 'uke every day! It's been really fun watching you. I like this song a lot and you sound great on it! See you Saturday!

Lily challenged me to do the Locomotion so here it is. Thanks Lily. I think the Partridge family challenge will be tougher to master but I WONT BE BEATEN. lol

for some reason my iPad won't post a pictorial video version. iPad and you tube is a bloody awful combination. So frustrating.
This is fantastic! I sort of thought, when I suggested it, that there would be silliness involved, but this is just, well, really good. I don't need to tell you I was singing and dancing along, right? Anybody else? Just brilliant. Thank you!

lelouden
10-25-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm sure you all remember the Song Pabrizzer wrote for TCK's season last week. It's called "One More Drink". Well, I sat down for about an hour and this is my take on that song. "Channeling Pabrizzer, I Hope You Don't Mind." :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukeb_Mnpnlk&feature=youtu.be

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Can this be my grandsons first season entry? It could also qualify for tutorial I think.
His name is Toby and he is five years old (is this youngest ever entry?). He always shows an interest when he hears me play and generally picks up and starts strumming the uke I donated to them for such a purpose. I thought I'd start off with a simple first lesson which held his attention for five minutes. He seemed to enjoy it. I think he may actually stick with it unlike his elder sister who despite repeated attempts I struggle to get her interested in the uke.
Prior to this first lesson my first request to him was "please don't pick it up by wrapping your fingers around the strings at the sound hole, it really won't do much for the tuning".
Ah, tuning, schmooning. Life is short.

Toby is adorable. Congratulations, Toby, on becoming a Seasonista! Putting this in tutorials, Dave. Any of you looking to give a youngster 'ukulele lessons, take a look!

Oh Lily, I hope it's a manageable emergency. Lasering supportive thoughts your way!
Thank you, Ginny. Everything is fine. I just had to help someone with something and it had me out of the house (then most of the evening catching up on what I didn't do during the day!).

Thank you both for this beautiful tribute. Like many of us, I never met MGM or spoke with him, but I nonetheless was on the receiving end of his aloha spirit. I doubt I was the only one with tears in my eyes. He would love this. It was just beautiful.

This was great! You're not supposed to worry about whether you're looking to the heavens when you only get three takes. That's the point. You played beautifully, and sang it brilliantly, too. I'm very impressed. (I'm also thinking I need to try a baritone 'ukulele. I think I'm influenced by Myrna and "Lynda" (code name)). Any hey, no blindfold! Well done!

I'm in big trouble. These seasons just keep getting more and more fun. As I type I should be cleaning our toilets. I must admit I am addicted.
I've tried on just about two dozen songs this week and most just don't fit very well for one reason or another.

For some reason, maybe it's the foggy morning, I really had an itch to play something a bit melancholy today. Thought I found the perfect song. I tried my best to squeeze into this song this morning for about an hour and it just won't work. Tried another. Then another. Then I found this. First time I had ever heard it. Laid it down in two takes. Not a bad fit I think.

Sorry to bring this super fun season down with this one. As I was playing it made me think of my wife's dad who has terminal lung cancer. How do you ever get over losing a parent? And his wife? How the hell are you supposed to go on?
Anyway, I promise my next tune will be quite a bit more up tempo.

Lucinda Williams........
This was really lovely. You did a beautiful job with it and it's a wonderful song. Thank you. Looking forward to your next tune, but there is no need to apologize for this one!

No. 3

This is a song I've actually known for some time but have only ever sung it out once and that unaccompanied. I've never done it with accompaniment. I found I had already sussed out some chords so I decided I would make this my third entry.

It's by Robbie Burns and is an absolutely cracking song. I just hope I've done it justice.

Second take this time. I made a couple of errors in the first take and would probably have just accepted it except that I swore when I made the second mistake, so decided to have a second try.
It is a cracking song, and you definitely did it justice. I loved it. Great job, Geoff!

UkeCan1
10-25-2013, 03:16 PM
More Carpenters comin' at ya TCK ;) Feel free to sing along.

http://youtu.be/9xjmy6q8LJg

Myrna, this is great! Love me those happy songs. Your joy in performing it is infectious. The Carpenters are a guilty pleasure, but there's worse things you could catch!

- Wendy looking down from on top of the world

UkeCan1
10-25-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm also thinking I need to try a baritone 'ukulele. I think I'm influenced by Myrna and "Lynda" (code name)

I wasn't really feeling the UAS until ... last night, I got to play FiL's brand new red cedar baritone. I did not want to give it back. 'Nuff said.

Feels and sounds like a guitar, plays like a uke. What's not to love?

- Wendy and her next instrument

Jazzbanjorex
10-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Ukulele Lady for Wednesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz8VTC8O2lk&feature=youtu.be

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Here's my entry - a Ry Cooder song that just has to be played, any way you can...and we all know the easiest way to play most things is with ukulele.

Enjoy!
Very sorry for the loss of your friend, Casey. This is such a lovely tribute. You did a beautiful job. You seem to be gaining confidence in your singing every week. Very nice.

I can't help myself.
Totally kicking myself for not calling this "Train Wreck Week." Although there haven't been any train wrecks, far from it, so it would have been a big disappointment.

Oh, I loved this! The shout-outs, the kazoo, the playing and singing. Just a blast. Now go walk the dog. SERIOUSLY.

Regards

Sara
Sara, this was muy maravilloso! What a delight! You play and sing beautifully, and this song captured the spirit of Doug Frink! I'm so happy to have you as part of the Seasons.

I'm sure you all remember the Song Pabrizzer wrote for TCK's season last week. It's called "One More Drink". Well, I sat down for about an hour and this is my take on that song. "Channeling Pabrizzer, I Hope You Don't Mind." :)
This was magnificent! I couldn't stop laughing, in spite of your wonderful playing and singing. I get the feeling you're okay with that. It really was wonderful, though, and you sure found a fun way to play with the blues!

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Ukulele Lady for Wednesday.
Wonderful! I love the song, and it's always fun when the Little White Uke stops by. Great job!

ukuleledaddy
10-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks for bringing the melancholy, Sean. I wanted to also, but I'm glad you've done it first. Ever thought about 'Sweet Old World'? (Might be a little raw, but I'd love to hear you do it sometime.) Any chance you'd share the chords for this?

Thanks for watching Shady. I've never heard Sweet Old World but I will definitely check it out, and perhaps give it a go.
I found the chords for Over Time here: http://www.cowboylyrics.com/tabs/williams-lucinda/overtime-10340.html
Give it a go yourself, it's a lovely song.

southside mike
10-25-2013, 04:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDdadDGFB2k
Finally I came up with something and it would have been the first take but I mistakenly erased the first one so I had to do it again which makes this one (tiny dog, mistakes and all) the second take. My wife got me a banjolele for my birthday (which is today) so this will be the first post for me with it which makes this something different and a little out of my comfort zone so I think that qualifies for this week.

decaturcomp
10-25-2013, 04:10 PM
thanks for the new ruling Lilykins
sorry if a ridiculous level of enthusiasm on my part caused any strife.

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Finally I came up with something and it would have been the first take but I mistakenly erased the first one so I had to do it again which makes this one (tiny dog, mistakes and all) the second take. My wife got me a banjolele for my birthday (which is today) so this will be the first post for me with it which makes this something different and a little out of my comfort zone so I think that qualifies for this week.
Happy birthday, Mike! That's a great present. You did a great job with this song (couldn't help singing along). Love the dog! (Two takes is fine but even if it weren't, hey, it's your birthday.) I will speak for everyone and wish you many years of happy music-making with this fine banjolele!

Dougf
10-25-2013, 04:12 PM

Regards

Sara

Sara, you've really made my day, thanks so much for covering my song. Great version, I love what you bring to this song, your singing and your great sense of rhythm and phrasing. And I think that with this song, it might actually be an advantage that English is not your native language. :)

Sara, this was amazing! You don't need all the disclaimers ... you play and sing beautifully. And what a wonderful song - jazz on the uke is my favorite uke sound. I want to learn it! Can you share the words and chords?

Beautiful!
- Wendy

Yes, Sara covered this song of mine, "Dinosaurs and other toys". I did two versions, both with similar slideshows. Both of these show up as related links when I watch Sara's version, but here they are below. The words and chords are in the YT descriptions of both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg8cGfT9HH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10_UhzNfM0M

Also, here's a link to a playlist of my other ukulele originals, I think the chords and words are in most of them. Let me know if there's something you like. :)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLADDF971DA6F18C77

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 04:13 PM
thanks for the new ruling Lilykins
sorry if a ridiculous level of enthusiasm on my part caused any strife.
I don't think there was any strife. There has been ridiculousness, though.

Speaking of ridiculous, there has been no B-52s. Can you believe it?

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Yes, Sara covered this song of mine, "Dinosaurs and other toys". I did two versions, both with similar slideshows. Both of these show up as related links when I watch Sara's version, but here they are below. The words and chords are in the YT descriptions of both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg8cGfT9HH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10_UhzNfM0M

Also, here's a link to a playlist of my other ukulele originals, I think the chords and words are in most of them. Let me know if there's something you like. :)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLADDF971DA6F18C77[/QUOTE]
Thank you for sharing these, Doug. It's really great when you write something that someone else does and it still works, isn't it?

decaturcomp
10-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Sorry about the Buffs.

I worked on Roam after you mentioned it but it's not ready. I think that's one of their prettiest tunes. We happen to have a lot of mutual friends but I've never met them except when they were waiting tables at the Vegetarian restaurant in Athens decades ago.

Jazzbanjorex
10-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Tie me kangaroo down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7lKx8S3eos&feature=youtu.be

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm thrilled to announce that the playlist is updated through southside mike's entry. Please let me know if you are supposed to be on it and are not.

I'm going to find a box of wine.

ukuleledaddy
10-25-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm going to find a box of wine.

I have a box of wine. Better hurry though, it's going fast.

myrnaukelele
10-25-2013, 04:35 PM
OK bird'seyeview - you asked for some Go-gos...this one's for you. :cool:
Stuck in My Car.

http://youtu.be/_swnNy-LSk8

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Sorry about the Buffs.

I worked on Roam after you mentioned it but it's not ready. I think that's one of their prettiest tunes. We happen to have a lot of mutual friends but I've never met them except when they were waiting tables at the Vegetarian restaurant in Athens decades ago.
I was thinking of you when I mentioned them and wondered if your paths had ever crossed. I agree, Roam is a great song.

Actually, kids, I'm kidding about the B-52s. You're all doing great stuff. I say things like that sort of tongue-in-cheek. If you want to do that, fine, but whatever you choose is great.

But I'm dead serious about Cuanto Le Gusta.

Tie me kangaroo down
Love it! See, this is why we do this: so people don't have to keep not knowing Tie Me Kangaroo Down. (And to those who haven't watched it yet: I dare you to watch without singing along. Can't be done.) Thanks, Rex!

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 04:36 PM
I have a box of wine. Better hurry though, it's going fast.
Okay! I'm looking for a plane...

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 04:41 PM
OK bird'seyeview - you asked for some Go-gos...this one's for you. :cool:
Stuck in My Car.
I love it, myrna! The Go-Go's -- definitely the way to go-go for you. (Oh. I really didn't want to go-go there. Rats! Did it again.) This was awesome.

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 04:42 PM
You know who I feel sorry for? The Seasonista who decides to host a Go-Go's Season.

bird's eye view of my ukelele
10-25-2013, 05:02 PM
You know who I feel sorry for? The Seasonista who decides to host a Go-Go's Season.
lol! it's only like if anyone planned a whisky in the jar season!

no really - it could still work, the challenge would be for each of us to do one of their songs (or half a million of their songs, whatever!) that we didn't already snow you under with!

it would, like, totally rock, dudes

ukuLily Mars
10-25-2013, 05:10 PM
lol! it's only like if anyone planned a whisky in the jar season!

no really - it could still work, the challenge would be for each of us to do one of their songs (or half a million of their songs, whatever!) that we didn't already snow you under with!

it would, like, totally rock, dudes
Ha! I stand corrected.

I'm calling it a night. Don't play ball in the house. (Oh, great. TCK is totally going to play ball in the house and break Mom's lamp, I just know it.)

Jazzbanjorex
10-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Hard times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swsXlORSWSM

pabrizzer
10-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Lo, I'll be With You Always
From checking out the Reverend Gary Davis (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46DI3ImoaXM) and a top uke version by Todd B (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MBygDYWAEc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrepljI3390

decaturcomp
10-25-2013, 05:56 PM
This Nanci Griffith Song always gets to me so I thought I'd learn it and share it here>
The actual title is "Love at the Five and Dime" I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GssOXQ2a_J8

ksiegel
10-25-2013, 06:28 PM
So, I heard this song on the radio the other night, while driving home - I hadn't heard it in Years! Was singing along, and knew I had to do it for Season 88!

I jumped on the interwebs, and grabbed the lyrics, and....

...realized I was singing a completely different song than what the artist had written.

I had confused the 1981 Rose and the Arrangement song "The Cockroach That Ate Cincinnati" with Don Dixon's 1981 "Preying Mantis", and was singing a chorus of "Like the Preying Mantis of Cincinnati"...

If you haven't heard of Don Dixon, he's a performer, producer, writer, and session musician. He's prioduced for REM, Kim Carnes, Hootie and the Blowfish, and Marshall Crenshaw, among others.

Here is his website (http://www.dondixonmusic.com/index.htm)

Here's the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC-0ucn21nY

southside mike
10-25-2013, 06:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B44uTEnZqbo
First take, second entry

decaturcomp
10-25-2013, 06:43 PM
This is great! Thanks for a wonderful memory and a terrific version.
Saw Dixon and Arrogance lots of times and this was one of their best songs that he recorded later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw76DZDkoK8

And he (and mitch easter) produced two of the most important records in my collection, REM's Murmur and Reckoning.
You just made my night!

So, I heard this song on the radio the other night, while driving home - I hadn't heard it in Years! Was singing along, and knew I had to do it for Season 88!

...realized I was singing a completely different song than what the artist had written.

I had confused the 1981 Rose and the Arrangement song "The Cockroach That Ate Cincinnati" with Don Dixon's 1981 "Preying Mantis", and was singing a chorus of "Like the Preying Mantis of Cincinnati"...

If you haven't heard of Don Dixon, he's a performer, producer, writer, and session musician. He's prioduced for REM, Kim Carnes, Hootie and the Blowfish, and Marshall Crenshaw, among others.

Here's the song.

TCK
10-25-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm calling it a night. Don't play ball in the house. (Oh, great. TCK is totally going to play ball in the house and break Mom's lamp, I just know it.)
Wish I could...busily making a radio show when I would rather be over here breaking stuff. Dammit. I fear I am done for the week (this weekend is going to be a long one)...but what fun I had. Thanks Lily and the rest of you lot.
I promise I will have winners for 87 soon.

Rustyy
10-25-2013, 07:50 PM
I wasn't sure what song to do, so I went to Richard G's site, and the most recent song added was one that I knew, so this it.
It's a song from the late 60's by a band called Axiom, who's singer Glenn Shorrock later became the singer for the Little River Band. Little Ray of Sunshine was a very popular song at the time, especially with new parents, and is still heard often today on oldies radio.

http://youtu.be/sdXdrX2fB9I

TCK
10-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Right- Seven in the fancy hat...
I lied.
I had one more in me.
I once heard a Beck song I really liked.
The rest of them are garbage. This one is beautiful. Admission is free- come watch me screw it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1bg9rBAjjY&feature=youtu.be

pabrizzer
10-25-2013, 10:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukeb_Mnpnlk&feature=youtu.be

OK
Blues on a bari - check
Cool hat - check
Cool sunnies - check
Terrific style - check
Beard - ? - you have a bit of work to do on the beard.
I enjoyed this.

Rustyy
10-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Hi all, can somebody please explain to me how I can easily find the playlists
Thanks

Shady Wilbury
10-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Hey, Rusty.

There's a link in the first post in the thread.

Hope that helps,

xommen
10-25-2013, 11:41 PM
And here is my saterday entry, another the Choir song although I did some fiddling with the music as I can get nowhere near the sound they produce.
This is Tears don't fall, this uke is tuned in D so I had to find a song that fits that and this one did. You should check out the original here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY7MQXnNCTI, as it's so different and so 80's ;-).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTeszELGx5o

xommen
10-25-2013, 11:53 PM
I'm loving your video-a-day challenge, and I love that you're using a different 'uke every day! It's been really fun watching you. I like this song a lot and you sound great on it! See you Saturday!

Thanks, I'm playing uke everyday anyway so why not record that ;). I'm out of ukes (I will tell my wife I need more), so tomorrow I will have to use one of them again, but yes I will be doing a song on sunday.

UkeyDave
10-26-2013, 12:37 AM
i'm sure you all remember the song pabrizzer wrote for tck's season last week. It's called "one more drink". Well, i sat down for about an hour and this is my take on that song. "channeling pabrizzer, i hope you don't mind." :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukeb_mnpnlk&feature=youtu.be

oh my god brian. You've shaved your beard off. ;-)

UkeyDave
10-26-2013, 12:58 AM
Tie me kangaroo down

Well done Rex. You did a fine job and managed to keep your composure UNLIKE myself when I did this one for Season 24. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz57aNvUn2M)

UkeyDave
10-26-2013, 01:37 AM
Here's another one (This is Friday's entry). I'm hoping to put a joint effort in for Saturdays entry which is a collaboration with me and Linda Louden. Hope i can get it finished in time. Did this one very quickly before going out for the rest of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3A-eaoVV5Y

wee_ginga_yin
10-26-2013, 01:39 AM
Tie me kangaroo down

Too much Rolf (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppH5JcehzE0) is not enough

decaturcomp
10-26-2013, 02:53 AM
A tutorial with less filler than the last one. Part I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyEk0PbpuqM

decaturcomp
10-26-2013, 02:58 AM
C to F turnaround Pt II
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc2TIFnqwE4

Shady Wilbury
10-26-2013, 03:07 AM
My second (and final) entry for Season 88 of the Ukulele.

I'm overjoyed, because I used a different camera, and I think I've beat the noise that usually attends the background of my videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lSC_fHRaYk&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

decaturcomp
10-26-2013, 03:57 AM
Lily (as each host does) placed links to the playlists at the end of her opening post. Just click on the one for songs or the one for tutorials.

Thanks

Srax
10-26-2013, 04:06 AM

Beautiful!
- Wendy

Hello Wendy!

First of all thanks for your kind words, I've seen Doug has answered you, I have used the same chords that he has added on the description of the song in his youtube channel. The song is really pretty, I'm sure you'll enjoy playing it!

Regards

Sara

Srax
10-26-2013, 05:01 AM
Sara, you've really made my day, thanks so much for covering my song. Great version, I love what you bring to this song, your singing and your great sense of rhythm and phrasing. And I think that with this song, it might actually be an advantage that English is not your native language. :)

I'm very happy and it is an honor for me that you liked my cover! And one little question: As you noticed my native language is not English? ;)

Jazzbanjorex
10-26-2013, 05:13 AM
Well done Rex. You did a fine job and managed to keep your composure UNLIKE myself when I did this one for Season 24. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz57aNvUn2M)

I love it Dave!! I'm glad you had as much fun (difficulty) doing this song as I.

ukuleledaddy
10-26-2013, 06:56 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyEk0PbpuqM

YES! I am totally going to use this. Thanks Alan. April is of my fav S&G tunes too.

cua94
10-26-2013, 07:08 AM
thank you for the encouragement!

ukuLily Mars
10-26-2013, 07:13 AM
Hi all! I'm catching up with the playlist! So far it doesn't look like anybody has trashed the joint. Was it something I said?

Hard times
This is just beautiful! I've been on a Stephen Foster kick lately, since hearing Thomas Hampson sing Hard Times on the 4th of July and also since a few Seasonistas posted beautiful versions of Camptown Races in Season 75, and I've been playing this song a lot but not nearly as well. I love your version. Lovely.

Lo, I'll be With You Always
From checking out the Reverend Gary Davis (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46DI3ImoaXM) and a top uke version by Todd B (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MBygDYWAEc)
Loved this! Really nice. You're the king of Leave-the-Audience-Wanting-More!

This Nanci Griffith Song always gets to me so I thought I'd learn it and share it here>
The actual title is "Love at the Five and Dime" I think:
Yes, that's correct, but I'm sure nobody calls it that. I love this song (I know the Kathy Mattea recording) and I love your version. Just beautiful!

Here's the song.
What a great song! Bug romance is awesome... unless you're a bug, I suppose. I could live without the stuff YouTube thinks I should watch now, though. I loved this, even if it's not the song you set out to do, and I'm delighted you decided to perform it in public.

First take, second entry
Somebody's got a new banjolele! This was awesome. First take, even! Great job, Mike. Loved it.

myrnaukelele
10-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Myrna, this is great! Love me those happy songs. Your joy in performing it is infectious. The Carpenters are a guilty pleasure, but there's worse things you could catch!

- Wendy looking down from on top of the world

Thanks Wendy! Funny you would say that - I did this Carpenter's song for Season 24 (Guilty Pleasures Week). I've always loved Karen Carpenter's voice. :o
http://youtu.be/ANNaHQgvx1U

ukuLily Mars
10-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Wish I could...busily making a radio show when I would rather be over here breaking stuff. Dammit. I fear I am done for the week (this weekend is going to be a long one)...but what fun I had.
I will believe this when I see it.

I wasn't sure what song to do, so I went to Richard G's site, and the most recent song added was one that I knew, so this it.
It's a song from the late 60's by a band called Axiom, who's singer Glenn Shorrock later became the singer for the Little River Band. Little Ray of Sunshine was a very popular song at the time, especially with new parents, and is still heard often today on oldies radio.
What a delightful song! You did a wonderful job with it, too. I enjoyed it a lot.

Right- Seven in the fancy hat...
I lied.
I had one more in me.
I once heard a Beck song I really liked.
The rest of them are garbage. This one is beautiful. Admission is free- come watch me screw it up.
Yup. Told you so. This was very nice, though! Liked it a lot. You still haven't screwed up so you might have to do one more (but only one).

Hee. That "only one" part is gonna drive him crazy.

And here is my saterday entry, another the Choir song although I did some fiddling with the music as I can get nowhere near the sound they produce.
This is Tears don't fall, this uke is tuned in D so I had to find a song that fits that and this one did. You should check out the original here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY7MQXnNCTI, as it's so different and so 80's ;-).
Nice song! I will check out the original if I ever get a handle on things here. In the meantime I really enjoyed your version! See you tomorrow!

I'm out of ukes (I will tell my wife I need more)
:rofl:

ukuLily Mars
10-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Here's another one (This is Friday's entry). I'm hoping to put a joint effort in for Saturdays entry which is a collaboration with me and Linda Louden. Hope i can get it finished in time. Did this one very quickly before going out for the rest of the day.
This was awesome! Or rather, groovy! I love that you took up the challenge. It is a deceptively difficult song, I think, but it's lots of fun and you did a great job with it. You had me laughing out loud at the end! Thank you, my friend! Have fun with Linda -- I can't wait to see that one!

C to F turnaround Pt II
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
Thanks, Alan! These do have more specific stuff to play with (the other one was meant as an introduction for your workshop, so the intent was different, but it is still useful). If anyone enjoyed Alan's first tutorial, make sure you take a look at these two as well. The same idea but they go at it in a different way.

My second (and final) entry for Season 88 of the Ukulele.

I'm overjoyed, because I used a different camera, and I think I've beat the noise that usually attends the background of my videos!

Enjoy!
Very nice job with this song! I'm delighted you took this week's theme as an excuse to learn songs you've been putting off. Certainly one of the things I had in mind when I thought of it. I enjoyed this one.

elmann
10-26-2013, 08:05 AM
As others I thought a lot about what entry to take. Finally I did what I like to do:
There's an German song, at least from the 40's, "Hallo, kleines Fršulein". Only one verse. Mmm. That bothered me, so I did a second verse, finalizing the song's idea. It's based on/covered from Sweet Georgia Brown, the melody is a bit different, performers often use the original as bridge.
Now the song is re-translated: Hello, little Lady.

http://youtu.be/8Zc45se-v8Y

ukuLily Mars
10-26-2013, 08:16 AM
As others I thought a lot about what entry to take. Finally I did what I like to do:
There's an German song, at least from the 40's, "Hallo, kleines Fršulein". Only one verse. Mmm. That bothered me, so I did a second verse, finalizing the song's idea. It's based on/covered from Sweet Georgia Brown, the melody is a bit different, performers often use the original as bridge.
Now the song is re-translated: Hello, little Lady.
I love this! You play and sing these old gems perfectly. You put a smile on my face every time.

ukuLily Mars
10-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks
Rustyy, did you find the playlists? Just in case you didn't, or in case anybody else needs help:
Click HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDgZ9RitM4g&list=PLeeg21oFp5m3tjMj-CZm_9exjh3GFCJJA&index=1)for the main playlist
Click HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzlycwE0KcE&list=PLeeg21oFp5m32ihrKfKY5KOybWRXvmgcD&index=1)for the tutorials playlist

They are in the first post as well but maybe this will save you a trip.

lelouden
10-26-2013, 10:21 AM
i was hoping to get another entry in because this week has been so much fun Lily but...doubtful, unless the collaboration with Dave works out. Here's a little post of general goofing around with my Grand baby. We ended up spending the night in the ER with a bout of the croup. After a breathing treatment, an X-rays, steroids and a night with no sleep this is what coaxing some food into her system brings:) Wish I had my Uke. I could have used this as an official saturday entry. You asked for family and pets...well here's the both! As you can see she's fine. It's Grandma thats a little nuts. But then you knew that after my last entry!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FGNrtR1MIYThanks everyone for being there (ER) with me. Hospitals are boring but thanks to the iPhone and the seasons my time was pleasant!

Jazzbanjorex
10-26-2013, 10:23 AM
On Broadway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzLlqbxMnOA&feature=youtu.be

UkeyDave
10-26-2013, 10:31 AM
doubtful, unless the collaboration with Dave works out.
Tis DONE Linda and waiting for you in your dropbox. Just awaiting your approval.

pabrizzer
10-26-2013, 10:32 AM
i was hoping to get another entry in because this week has been so much fun Lily but...doubtful, unless the collaboration with Dave works out. Here's a little post of general goofing around with my Grand baby. We ended up spending the night in the ER with a bout of the croup. After a breathing treatment, an X-rays, steroids and a night with no sleep this is what coaxing some food into her system brings:) Wish I had my Uke. I could have used this as an official saturday entry. You asked for family and pets...well here's the both! As you can see she's fine. It's Grandma thats a little nuts. But then you knew that after my last entry!Thanks everyone for being there (ER) with me. Hospitals are boring but thanks to the iPhone and the seasons my time was pleasant!

Glad she is OK. If you were in Australia that would be Vegemite on the toast. Good for the grandkid but you'd have a nasty coloured stain on the lounge.

Tootler
10-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Entry 4

A song by Tom Paxton. I don't think anyone did this for Tom Paxton week and I had forgotten about it until just now when I was looking for another song to record for this season. I needed something I could do a quick and dirty recording with and this fitted the bill as I had started to work on it some time ago. This season has given me the spur to actually record it.

http://youtu.be/PmcRVFq_tcM

UkeyDave
10-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Here is a JOINT (Saturday) entry from myself and lelouden. Its a collaboration of Rock My Soul.
It features multi-tracking with Ukes, Voice harmonies, Clapping and a Djembe drum.
I'm quite pleased with the end result. Hope you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6PiEVZWVdM

pabrizzer
10-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Here is a JOINT (Saturday) entry from myself and lelouden. Its a collaboration of Rock My Soul.
It features multi-tracking with Ukes, Voice harmonies, Clapping and a Djembe drum.

Enjoyed watching this colab Linda and Dave. Good job!

lelouden
10-26-2013, 11:06 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6PiEVZWVdM

OMG I could not stop laughing at how hard we are rocking it! Bwahahahaha! Heres a good trick everybody. Did you know that if you go to the bottom of the page on youtube there is in small print "try something new". Click on that and select HTML5, select join and you can speed up or slow down almost any video you watch. Then while a vid is being played click on the settings gear and you have the option to speed up or slow down the videos. I would highly suggest you watch this on the 1.5 or 2 speed. You'll get a kick out of this feature...trust me!

Rustyy
10-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Hey, Rusty.

There's a link in the first post in the thread.

Hope that helps,

Duh, too obvious, I'll try to think of a harder question next time.

Thanks shady

GinnyT11
10-26-2013, 11:41 AM

Holy smoke, that's great stuff! Thank goodness Linda has joined us!
Dave, you may be too clever for yourself. You keep doing more and more interesting things.

Be sure to post it in the Seasonistas with Seasonistas thread too. And do more!

UkeCan1
10-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Re Rex's "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport" (which was wonderful, and brought me back to my childhood and my Aussie days):

Too much Rolf (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppH5JcehzE0) is not enough

Somebody needs to do his "Stairway to Heaven": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NMzuQFHJVU
"How does it affect you blokes?"

Wendy (closet Australian - dual national since 1994 - I was there when "Stairways to Heaven" came out and led to Rolf's resurgence)

Jazzbanjorex
10-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Sunday's entry. But which Sunday? The Sunday at the start of the Season or the Sunday at the end of the season? Hmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2FaobJ4cNA&feature=youtu.be

ukuLily Mars
10-26-2013, 01:45 PM
i was hoping to get another entry in because this week has been so much fun Lily but...doubtful, unless the collaboration with Dave works out. Here's a little post of general goofing around with my Grand baby. We ended up spending the night in the ER with a bout of the croup. After a breathing treatment, an X-rays, steroids and a night with no sleep this is what coaxing some food into her system brings:) Wish I had my Uke. I could have used this as an official saturday entry. You asked for family and pets...well here's the both! As you can see she's fine. It's Grandma thats a little nuts. But then you knew that after my last entry!
Thanks everyone for being there (ER) with me. Hospitals are boring but thanks to the iPhone and the seasons my time was pleasant!
For obvious reasons (like, no uke), I won't be including this in the playlist, but that being said: TOO CUTE! Thank you for sharing this with us! I think the dog may be a little concerned, though. I am very happy your little granddaughter is feeling better.

On Broadway
Fantastic! This is a great version of the song. Love it. You definitely sold it.

Tis DONE Linda and waiting for you in your dropbox. Just awaiting your approval.
Yay!

Entry 4

A song by Tom Paxton. I don't think anyone did this for Tom Paxton week and I had forgotten about it until just now when I was looking for another song to record for this season. I needed something I could do a quick and dirty recording with and this fitted the bill as I had started to work on it some time ago. This season has given me the spur to actually record it.
Another Seasonista taking this theme as an excuse to bring out all the things he's wanted to learn and hasn't gotten round to. That's the stuff! This was excellent, Geoff. Glad you've dusted off the (electronic) file this week.

ukuLily Mars
10-26-2013, 01:55 PM
This is magnificent! I had so much fun! Thank you both for doing this.

OMG I could not stop laughing at how hard we are rocking it! Bwahahahaha! Heres a good trick everybody. Did you know that if you go to the bottom of the page on youtube there is in small print "try something new". Click on that and select HTML5, select join and you can speed up or slow down almost any video you watch. Then while a vid is being played click on the settings gear and you have the option to speed up or slow down the videos. I would highly suggest you watch this on the 1.5 or 2 speed. You'll get a kick out of this feature...trust me!
Hey Linda, you're kind of a twisted woman. I predict we're going to be good friends.

ukuLily Mars
10-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Sunday's entry. But which Sunday? The Sunday at the start of the Season or the Sunday at the end of the season? Hmmm.
Be careful: making the host think reallyreally hard could be grounds for disqualification. But since this particular host loves her some Irving Berlin you should be okay.

This was a wonderful version of this song. Lots of fun. Thanks!

decaturcomp
10-26-2013, 02:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRfOYOJZJEc

a possibly disqualifying original song (with a partly borrowed tune) about playing ukulele

Thanks Lilykins and everyone for a sorta magical season!

Jazzbanjorex
10-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Be careful: making the host think reallyreally hard could be grounds for disqualification. But since this particular host loves her some Irving Berlin you should be okay.

This was a wonderful version of this song. Lots of fun. Thanks!

This was fun Lily. I was just opening my Yellow Daily Ukulele book and choosing songs I'd never done before but knew I've heard and liked. Well, not all of them were from the yellow book.

librainian
10-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Alan posted "Dance a Little Closer" yesterday. What a great song! It reminded me of a John Prine song I bumped into recently and I thought I would try it. I worked out a simple arrangement for it. It's in C / F / G so play along if you like. I also added something new I've never tried before. I added some ornamentation with a Meinl Bongo Cajon my dad bought me and a vintage Hohner Cassoto Piano27 Melodica I've also been waiting for an appropriate song to try it on. I hope the mix is pleasing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBjtEyX5tso

Now back to your regularly scheduled uke'ing!:music:

GinnyT11
10-26-2013, 02:56 PM
a possibly disqualifying original song (with a partly borrowed tune) about playing ukulele

Yes, yes, yes...keep singing all day, Alan! Love this song all over, but especially the shout-out. Thank you.

ukuLily Mars
10-26-2013, 03:04 PM

Oh, Alan, I think you've had at least three disqualified videos. Do I seem concerned?

This was just wonderful, and thank you so much for writing a song we can all share!

decaturcomp
10-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Yes, yes, yes...keep singing all day, Alan! Love this song all over, but especially the shout-out. Thank you.

Thanks Dear Ginny! It's still in flux a little but I thought it was time for a rough draft.

decaturcomp
10-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Oh, Alan, I think you've had at least three disqualified videos. Do I seem concerned?

This was just wonderful, and thank you so much for writing a song we can all share!

Being disqualified is my only qualification. Thank you!

decaturcomp
10-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Senor! This is completely brilliante! So, smooth and rico and suave!!
Well done!

Alan posted "Dance a Little Closer" yesterday. What a great song! It reminded me of a John Prine song I bumped into recently and I thought I would try it. I worked out a simple arrangement for it. It's in C / F / G so play along if you like. I also added something new I've never tried before. I added some ornamentation with a Meinl Bongo Cajon my dad bought me and a vintage Hohner Cassoto Piano27 Melodica I've also been waiting for an appropriate song to try it on. I hope the mix is pleasing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBjtEyX5tso

ukuLily Mars
10-26-2013, 03:45 PM

This was terrific! I love the way you've done this. The Melodica is really fun.

10-26-2013, 05:27 PM
I should be cleaning our toilets
lol!

No. 3
I swore when I made the second mistake, so decided to have a second try.
more lol!

It doesn't matter anyway. (See what I did there?)
omg even more lol!

the seasons... home of ukes... home of (forgive the next word, it sets my teeth on edge but what other word can i use?) lolz

southside mike
10-26-2013, 07:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg6sXVQIJpk
My Sunday entry is an Eagles song that I always thought would be a good one to learn so today I started working on it. The only problem is that it doesn't feel right singing a song that is about being twenty one many, many years later so I changed the words a bit. For me it seems to work better this way.

peewee
10-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Hi All,
I've been unable to participate this week, and have devoted ONLY an hour or so to catching up after being out of town and off the grid. I did get a little time to find a tune and bumble through it. Here's one from the to-do list from a recent tab by Aaron Keim. There are plenty of mistakes here, and I'm a little confused about how one section plays, but here you go:
It's a beautiful tune that I first heard Woody Guthrie play (poorly) on a fiddle on one his records. So I'm in good company.

Cowboy Waltz : http://youtu.be/j9EYBf1EaTw

http://youtu.be/j9EYBf1EaTw

thesillydave
10-26-2013, 09:08 PM
thanks lily! a great theme to make me learn some songs that i've wanted to learn!
this is a sort of attempt of Leon Redbone's version of "the sheik of araby"
wish i could scat like him! oh well! thanks again!

http://youtu.be/sHKxoHqipGk
cheers!

mythinformed
10-26-2013, 11:03 PM

http://youtu.be/Ln674MevUso}

Nice one .........But did he manage to teach you that triple strum in the end Dave ? :)

pabrizzer
10-27-2013, 01:39 AM
Loved what peewee did with the Cowboy Waltz thought I could do that - wrong.
Fingers too clumsy - did it too fast - didn't attempt the nice little bridge - but had a go - but pabrizzered it pretty bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNJjmnyiM-Q

xommen
10-27-2013, 01:55 AM
My second sunday entry, I am leaving this season by presenting you a U2 song that was written for Willy Nelson: Slow dancing.
I only new this song as a 100% U2 song and never tried to play it on uke before this season.
Check out a version with Willy here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuqdaBA0gmE

http://youtu.be/STlCwuccu6E

GinnyT11
10-27-2013, 03:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbvZlQJ3ekw

Okay, Lily, I will drop this in your week as a bonus, as I didn't say it was for Season 88, just that I was following your protocol. I'm sure it would have been better on the 23rd take.

10-27-2013, 03:15 AM
Fingers too clumsy - did it too fast - didn't attempt the nice little bridge - but had a go - but pabrizzered it pretty bad.
a. ooh that was GREAT

and b. so THIS is where you are!!! i got all scaredy cat when you weren't first to post on season 89!!!

Okay, Lily, I will drop this in your week as a bonus, as I didn't say it was for Season 88, just that I was following your protocol. I'm sure it would have been better on the 23rd take.
some of us have yet to remember to say the season in the actual vid! but season hosts are always so very lovely and forgiving and generous and just all over wonderful, they forgive you. me. :uhoh:

P.S. i already said it but i'm gonna say it again - BRILLIANT VID!

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 03:56 AM
Delightful!! I loved this. Too bad the "official song of Season 89" is already chosen for this would be a corker!
Why, oh why did Lehrer have to return to professorizing?
Huzzah, Ginny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbvZlQJ3ekw

ukuLily Mars
10-27-2013, 04:54 AM
My Sunday entry is an Eagles song that I always thought would be a good one to learn so today I started working on it. The only problem is that it doesn't feel right singing a song that is about being twenty one many, many years later so I changed the words a bit. For me it seems to work better this way.
Very nicely done! I admit I didn't know the song before, but it seems a pretty challenging accompaniment -- thank goodness you have a brand new banjolele to play it on! Wonderful job.

Hi All,
I've been unable to participate this week, and have devoted ONLY an hour or so to catching up after being out of town and off the grid. I did get a little time to find a tune and bumble through it. Here's one from the to-do list from a recent tab by Aaron Keim. There are plenty of mistakes here, and I'm a little confused about how one section plays, but here you go:
It's a beautiful tune that I first heard Woody Guthrie play (poorly) on a fiddle on one his records. So I'm in good company.

Cowboy Waltz : http://youtu.be/j9EYBf1EaTw
This is what you can accomplish in less than an hour? Wow! You played this beautifully! Lovely song and very well done. Glad you had time to drop by this week -- I really enjoyed your entry, and as you can see I'm not the only one.

thanks lily! a great theme to make me learn some songs that i've wanted to learn!
this is a sort of attempt of Leon Redbone's version of "the sheik of araby"
wish i could scat like him! oh well! thanks again!

cheers!
This is a great song for you! I love the way you build it, finding a different way to deliver each verse. This might be one of my favorite videos you've done. Really nice job.

I'm very happy you found songs you didn't know and used this excuse to learn them! A world in which thesillydave doesn't have The Sheik of Araby in his repertoire is not a world in which I want to hang out. So a bullet dodged, then.

First of all, "to pabrizzer" is now one of my favorite verbs. Second, I thought this was lovely! It was very different from peewee's but both versions were wonderful. I liked the speed, didn't notice any clumsiness, didn't miss the bridge. I don't think "to pabrizzer" means what you think it means. (As an aside: I love when you just kind of noodle. Just saying.)

My second sunday entry, I am leaving this season by presenting you a U2 song that was written for Willy Nelson: Slow dancing.
I only new this song as a 100% U2 song and never tried to play it on uke before this season.
Check out a version with Willy here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuqdaBA0gmE
And he brings it home, ending the Season with U2! This is a very nice song, and you did it beautifully. The vocal seems pretty challenging and you did a great job.

Hey, Seasonistas, three cheers for xommen, the only person to complete a new-song-each-day-for-a-Season challenge!

peewee
10-27-2013, 05:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNJjmnyiM-Q

That's Lover-ly, Brizz! I'm honored to have inspired it. The tune holds up well to all kinds of variations, and yours is tops.

ukuLily Mars
10-27-2013, 05:24 AM
Sorry, I can't accept that. The "no bonus" rule trumps the "must say Season 88" rule, so I'm afraid this is an entry.

This is so much fun! I loved this video. Cracked me up, and it really sets the mood for Season 89. Thanks for posting it here. Is this a first? The introductory video for one Season qualifies as an entry in the previous Season?

some of us have yet to remember to say the season in the actual vid! but season hosts are always so very lovely and forgiving and generous and just all over wonderful, they forgive you. me. :uhoh:

P.S. i already said it but i'm gonna say it again - BRILLIANT VID!
I think Ginny may have missed the part where we all discovered Your Hostess is not great with keeping track of this sort of thing.

ukuLily Mars
10-27-2013, 05:34 AM
This is completely unrelated to the 'ukulele or to the Seasons. I just have some news I would like to share with you.

Some of you know I have been writing a novel, and I wanted to let you know that I finished it last night! Okay, actually this morning. I have no idea if this book is any good -- too early to tell -- and it is likely it will be at least a year, maybe two, before this masterpiece ever sees the light of day, but I'm kind of proud of myself and wanted to share it with you, my friends. Well, also to let you know where I go when I disappear for several Seasons at a time.

Mind you, the hard work begins now, but today I am going to enjoy the illusion that finished means finished. I might even play a little 'ukulele.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
10-27-2013, 06:23 AM
This is completely unrelated to the 'ukulele or to the Seasons. I just have some news I would like to share with you.

Some of you know I have been writing a novel, and I wanted to let you know that I finished it last night! Okay, actually this morning. I have no idea if this book is any good -- too early to tell -- and it is likely it will be at least a year, maybe two, before this masterpiece ever sees the light of day, but I'm kind of proud of myself and wanted to share it with you, my friends. Well, also to let you know where I go when I disappear for several Seasons at a time.

Mind you, the hard work begins now, but today I am going to enjoy the illusion that finished means finished. I might even play a little 'ukulele.

Congratulations, Lily. I admire you for having the courage to begin and the ability to finish a creative project of that magnitude. Wonderful. Looking forward to reading your work.

ukuLily Mars
10-27-2013, 06:29 AM
Congratulations, Lily. I admire you for having the courage to begin and the ability to finish a creative project of that magnitude. Wonderful. Looking forward to reading your work.
Thank you, Ralf! You're very kind!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
10-27-2013, 06:42 AM
Great Season, everyone. Fun challenge, Lily.

Serendipitously, last Saturday a friend gave me a copy of "Your Favorite Songs", a 1953 collection with plenty of familiar and not-so-familiar tunes. The first song in the book is Juan Tizol and Duke Ellington's "Caravan" (more familiar to me as the Skatalites' "Skaravan"). New song to play. Check.

One thing I've never done for any Season: over-dubbing. So I spent my uke time this week arranging and learning ukulele rhythm, lead, and harmony to play over guitar and bass rhythm. I didn't learn to do any video editing (something else I've never tried) but I managed to make a slideshow work.

http://youtu.be/4N3NdYrFwfQ

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 06:50 AM
WOOT!
Congratulations!
Is it racey? Or NOT about racing?
Tell us more!
Or maybe we'd have to sign an NDA (Unlike the NSA).
Anyway, well done!

mythinformed
10-27-2013, 07:11 AM
This toon probably made more famous by the Beatles was managed in three takes ..............I reckon I could have done it in less but there was a behind the scenes turf war between me and the dog for the position on the sofa !! Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhe7UVcdGxg

ukuLily Mars
10-27-2013, 07:34 AM

Serendipitously, last Saturday a friend gave me a copy of "Your Favorite Songs", a 1953 collection with plenty of familiar and not-so-familiar tunes. The first song in the book is Juan Tizol and Duke Ellington's "Caravan" (more familiar to me as the Skatalites' "Skaravan"). New song to play. Check.

One thing I've never done for any Season: over-dubbing. So I spent my uke time this week arranging and learning ukulele rhythm, lead, and harmony to play over guitar and bass rhythm. I didn't learn to do any video editing (something else I've never tried) but I managed to make a slideshow work.
This was gorgeous! I'm glad you had an opportunity to try something new this week and it was a resounding success. Beautiful.

This toon probably made more famous by the Beatles was managed in three takes ..............I reckon I could have done it in less but there was a behind the scenes turf war between me and the dog for the position on the sofa !! Lol
Well, I don't know that I agree that the Beatles version is MORE famous, but we'll agree to disagree on that one! ;) I loved your version, thought it sounded beautiful. The dog was so cute; he looked like he was really enjoying the music! Who could blame him? Just lovely.

ukuLily Mars
10-27-2013, 07:36 AM
WOOT!
Congratulations!
Tell us more!
Anyway, well done!
Thanks! Not about racing, but a couple of characters do go to the track, and the Form and the Telegraph make appearances. It's set in New York City in the 1930s so there has to be some racing talk. :D

~dave~~wave~
10-27-2013, 07:47 AM
What a cool idea for a theme.
Next morning, my Daily Uke book fell open to Limehouse Blues.

I've always been intimidated by this song because:
a) I never really heard a "straight" version of it and
b) the only recordings I had heard were virtuoso flights of improv from the likes of Les Paul and Chet Atkins or Bucky Pizzarelli, enough to make you want to put down your axe and cede the tune to the pros.

So I spent the week learning the melody and chords, listening to YouTube versions by the Mills Brothers and Louis Armstrong, then had fun playing over a rhythm and bass track I recorded in GarageBand.

Thanks Lily, for the challenge, and all you Seasonistas for the inspiration to try something new on the uke each week.

http://youtu.be/gzVv93f4EXM

mythinformed
10-27-2013, 07:49 AM
Well, I don't know that I agree that the Beatles version is MORE famous, but we'll agree to disagree on that one! ;) I loved your version, thought it sounded beautiful. The dog was so cute; he looked like he was really enjoying the music! Who could blame him? Just lovely.

Let me re-phrase that ..........I've only ever heard the Beatles do it and had no idea it came from a musical until I researched it !! Lol

Congrats on the book Lily !!

ukuLily Mars
10-27-2013, 08:06 AM
WOOT!
Congratulations!
Tell us more!
Anyway, well done!
Oops... I forgot to answer your other question. It's a murder mystery, as I mentioned set in 1930s New York. I won't say too much about it because, frankly, I don't want to think about it for a couple days. (By which I mean, I'm going to have to start working on it again and I want to get away from it for a little bit. And also, I'm afraid it might be horrible.)

What a cool idea for a theme.
Next morning, my Daily Uke book fell open to Limehouse Blues.

I've always been intimidated by this song because:
a) I never really heard a "straight" version of it and
b) the only recordings I had heard were virtuoso flights of improv from the likes of Les Paul and Chet Atkins or Bucky Pizzarelli, enough to make you want to put down your axe and cede the tune to the pros.

So I spent the week learning the melody and chords, listening to YouTube versions by the Mills Brothers and Louis Armstrong, then had fun playing over a rhythm and bass track I recorded in GarageBand.

Thanks Lily, for the challenge, and all you Seasonistas for the inspiration to try something new on the uke each week.
You seem to be over the "intimidated" part. And rightly so! This was awesome! I not only loved the music, I loved watching you play it. You are always a joy to watch because you have such a good time. Thanks for working so hard on this! You did a wonderful job. (And you know how much I looooove the Mills Brothers, don't you?)

Let me re-phrase that ..........I've only ever heard the Beatles do it and had no idea it came from a musical until I researched it !! Lol

Congrats on the book Lily !!
Ha! More famous to you, then! Fair enough. And thank you very much!

UkeCan1
10-27-2013, 10:44 AM
I did it! I wrote a song. My very first ever complete song ... with words and chords and notes on sheet music and everything!

I could not think of a more appropriate offering for this "do something new" theme ... I am so eager to share it with you all. I hope you like it.

Please, please, please watch it all the way through from beginning to end ... it's a "slow reveal" song, and I don't want you to miss the (multiple) punch lines. Afterward, if you like, you can check out the sheet music at the link in the YouTube description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6d8Zq5MzQ

Oh, and it's not about anyone you know. It's just a song. :)

- Wendy (UkeCan1 of Uke Can 2!)

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 10:55 AM
This is just wonderful. Did not even need a frog! I hope you keep singing your own songs fo_______ for as long as you'd like to!

I did it! I wrote a song. My very first ever complete song ... with words and chords and notes on sheet music and everything!

I could not think of a more appropriate offering for this "do something new" theme ... I am so eager to share it with you all. I hope you like it.

Please, please, please watch it all the way through from beginning to end ... it's a "slow reveal" song, and I don't want you to miss the (multiple) punch lines. Afterward, if you like, you can check out the sheet music at the link in the YouTube description.

UkeyDave
10-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Nice one .........But did he manage to teach you that triple strum in the end Dave ? :)
Ah, my secret is out. ;-)

UkeyDave
10-27-2013, 11:09 AM

http://youtu.be/4N3NdYrFwfQ

Oh Ralf this is just fantastic. WOW - I LOVED IT. What a great sound.

ukuLily Mars
10-27-2013, 11:11 AM

A little over a week ago I didn't even know you, but right now I am SO PROUD OF YOU I can't even describe it! First of all, you're adorable. This is a really sweet song. I think it's awesome that you wrote it and shared it with us. Thank you! (And of course, I'm sure it is completely, y'know... hypothetical.)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
10-27-2013, 11:25 AM

Thanks, Dave. Your videos helped inspire me to try doing some over-dubs. (It may be a while before my video-editing skills introduce the world to Portland's "Bongo Bill", though.)

pabrizzer
10-27-2013, 11:38 AM

Ralf this is bloody brilliant.
I am interested to know in what order you laid down the tracks.
I guess if you are a music notation reader you could have started with the bass. I probably would have gone with the guitar strum but it is hard to know where you are up to sometimes working with just the rhythm - please reveal.
I believe you have called (and raised?) Peewee on his beautifully performed Apache.
Please don't be too humble about this - it is wonderfully done.

mattydee
10-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Well, like many here, I was floundering a bit with what to choose for the week, and then Lily said she'd make personal challenges... so here it is (2nd take):

http://youtu.be/mcXFCzKp6aU

I sure am glad she did, too. I had fun arranging the song, and it is definitely going into regular rotation. Thanks for a great season, Lily!

ukuLily Mars
10-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Well, like many here, I was floundering a bit with what to choose for the week, and then Lily said she'd make personal challenges... so here it is (2nd take):

I sure am glad she did, too. I had fun arranging the song, and it is definitely going into regular rotation. Thanks for a great season, Lily!
What we learned here: I am a genius! No, sorry, that's not it. But I really did think you would do something wonderful with this and by golly you did. Robert Palmer, in my opinion, always had a sort of wit in his performance style. I thought that would suit you. I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed working on it and will keep doing it! It's a brilliant arrangement and, unsurprisingly, a wonderful performance. Thank you, matty!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
10-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Ralf this is bloody brilliant.
I am interested to know in what order you laid down the tracks.
I guess if you are a music notation reader you could have started with the bass. I probably would have gone with the guitar strum but it is hard to know where you are up to sometimes working with just the rhythm - please reveal.
I believe you have called (and raised?) Peewee on his beautifully performed Apache.
Please don't be too humble about this - it is wonderfully done.

I'm proud of this one. I worked out this arrangement one part at a time. I'm quite pleased that things fit together nicely. Not so surprising, considering I adapted the parts from piano sheets.

As for order, I strummed the rhythm track on baritone uke first. Then I played the guitar and bass in that order---very similar parts---mostly an octave apart just like on the sheet music. Then I played the main melody on baritone uke, and finished with the harmony on soprano.

I don't think it's possible to make a better uke vid than peewee's Apache---being mentioned in such fine company is high praise---gracias, Brian.

lelouden
10-27-2013, 12:10 PM

I'd like to second that! what an accomplishment. Im very impressed:) Good for You!

lelouden
10-27-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm proud of this one. I worked out this arrangement one part at a time. I'm quite pleased that things fit together nicely. Not so surprising, considering I adapted the parts from piano sheets.

As for order, I strummed the rhythm track on baritone uke first. Then I played the guitar and bass in that order---very similar parts---mostly an octave apart just like on the sheet music. Then I played the main melody on baritone uke, and finished with the harmony on soprano.

I don't think it's possible to make a better uke vid than peewee's Apache---being mentioned in such fine company is high praise---gracias, Brian.

Amazingly Impressive. Blew my mind. Really fantastic!

lelouden
10-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Ok after listening to Ralf's entry I almost can hardly believe I'm brave enough to post this. I thought I was done for the week but started to listen to Todd B.'s sunday skiffle's and decided to try some sunday music. At one point I actually forgot I was taping. Believe it or not, while this song is very familiar I didn't know the words and have never played this one before now. "What a Friend we Have in Jesus."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d83ymsFUQ7A&feature=youtu.be BTW the new iMovie update is giving me fits. Im sure when I get used to it I"ll love it but for now I have to learn it all over again!:(

UkeCan1
10-27-2013, 12:47 PM
This is just wonderful. Did not even need a frog! I hope you keep singing your own songs fo_______ for as long as you'd like to!

I was going to use the frog, except for two things:
1) He's really Uke Can 2!'s mascot. (FiL reminded me.)
2) Note to self: Do not wear green if you plan to use Right Frog in the video.

I did not expect to write a song. It just kinda happened. So, we'll see what happens next. Your guess is as good as mine.

A little over a week ago I didn't even know you, but right now I am SO PROUD OF YOU I can't even describe it! First of all, you're adorable. This is a really sweet song. I think it's awesome that you wrote it and shared it with us. Thank you! (And of course, I'm sure it is completely, y'know... hypothetical.)

A week ago, I didn't know me either. :-) "Adorable" seems to be the operative word lately. Not something I expect to hear so much at my age. I'm glad you liked it!

Tootler
10-27-2013, 12:48 PM
No. 3

lol!

more lol!

omg even more lol!

the seasons... home of ukes... home of (forgive the next word, it sets my teeth on edge but what other word can i use?) lolz

I usually swear when I cock up a take, normally after I've turned off the camera. This time I did it in the middle of the verse and carried on. :nana:

I then thought, maybe, on reflection, I shouldn't use that take. I still have it on my PC, though.

Tootler
10-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Sunday night entry.

Aeons ago, Paul Simon recorded an album here in the UK and released it just before Sounds of Silence took off. This song was on it. It appeared again on the Parsley Sage album as a counter melody to Scarborough Fair.

http://youtu.be/NRv6XcY1GzQ

Second take. I made a mess of the harp solo the first time. This time's a little better but not as good as I would like but I'll just have to live with it.

ukuLily Mars
10-27-2013, 02:49 PM
I'd like to second that! what an accomplishment. Im very impressed:) Good for You!
Thank you! You are most kind.

Ok after listening to Ralf's entry I almost can hardly believe I'm brave enough to post this. I thought I was done for the week but started to listen to Todd B.'s sunday skiffle's and decided to try some sunday music. At one point I actually forgot I was taping. Believe it or not, while this song is very familiar I didn't know the words and have never played this one before now. "What a Friend we Have in Jesus."
BTW the new iMovie update is giving me fits. Im sure when I get used to it I"ll love it but for now I have to learn it all over again!:(
This was lovely! Very nice performance of a classic. (I recently saw Andy Griffith doing this on something. I forget what. But when I saw which song you were doing it made me smile.) By the way, that 'uke sounds beautiful!

I usually swear when I cock up a take, normally after I've turned off the camera. This time I did it in the middle of the verse and carried on. :nana:

I then thought, maybe, on reflection, I shouldn't use that take. I still have it on my PC, though.
Oh, there are probably people around here who would pay good money for that video. Although they may be over at Season 89 singing about body parts by now.

Sunday night entry.

Aeons ago, Paul Simon recorded an album here in the UK and released it just before Sounds of Silence took off. This song was on it. It appeared again on the Parsley Sage album as a counter melody to Scarborough Fair.

Second take. I made a mess of the harp solo the first time. This time's a little better but not as good as I would like but I'll just have to live with it.
This take sounds just fine to me! I thought this was quite beautiful, and I liked the harp a lot. A lovely song, one I didn't know, and I really enjoyed it.

ukuLily Mars
10-27-2013, 03:00 PM
We're in the homestretch! I want to thank everyone for "stepping up to the plate" and "hitting it out of the park" here in Season 88! (That's two baseball metaphors for World Series time for the Americans, and a horse racing metaphor just for me. I would have had more sports but I ran out of paragraph.)

If you are not on the playlist and you should be, please let me know.

vct33
10-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Well, you all need to forget what you know about what it sounds like for someone to sing in key. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF4UfL-zM58

10-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Well, you all need to forget what you know about what it sounds like for someone to sing in key. LOL
well it sounds spot on to me!

great stuff. and very nice strum pattern

ukuLily Mars
10-28-2013, 04:36 AM
I agree with bird'seye -- sounds spot on (and I think you have a nice voice) and the strum patterns is very nice. I think you sang it very well, especially the part where it speeds up around 2:45 or thereabouts. That can't have been easy and you did a great job. Well done!

ukuLily Mars
10-28-2013, 04:48 AM
In case I haven't said this lately, you people are Awesome! Thank you to everyone who posted a video this week and to everyone who tried but had life get in the way, as it sometimes does.

If you haven't already watched/listened to the playlist, I invite you to do so, and please share a word of encouragement with your fellow Seasonistas. You all put yourselves out there this week and it's nice to have some moral support.

We have 123 videos in the main playlist, and 7 videos in the tutorials playlist (one of the latter is Alan's previously-recorded introduction to his workshop but it's worth a look). Did I mention you people are Awesome?

I will get back to you in a few days with the winners, who, thank heaven, will simply have their names drawn from a snazzy hat. I'm very happy that all I have to choose is the snazzy hat.

Thank you all again for a wonderful Season! I've had a blast with all of you. See you soon, and have fun at Ginny's! I'll be over in a little bit.

redpaul1
10-28-2013, 07:59 AM
I'm sorry I didn't make it to the starting post, try as might. I only got time this morning, and was then defeated by the clocks going back throughout the Northern Hemisphere... but not in Hawaii. US exceptionalism strikes again!

Anyway, my entry has limped its way over to the Island of Misfit Seasonistas: Point Blank (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?85238-The-Island-of-Misfit-Seasonistas&p=1416938#post1416938)

It was a great Season, thanks for hosting. Sorry I couldn't get there in time.

ukuLily Mars
10-28-2013, 08:31 AM
I'm sorry I didn't make it to the starting post, try as might. I only got time this morning, and was then defeated by the clocks going back throughout the Northern Hemisphere... but not in Hawaii. US exceptionalism strikes again!

Anyway, my entry has limped its way over to the Island of Misfit Seasonistas: Point Blank (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?85238-The-Island-of-Misfit-Seasonistas&p=1416938#post1416938)

It was a great Season, thanks for hosting. Sorry I couldn't get there in time.
Thanks for stopping by anyway! I did miss you but I know you have a lot going on. Appreciate that you did something anyway, and the Misfits thread is hopping so it's a nice place to hang out and play some tunes.

elmann
10-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Ralf, please, could you produce a second version? Not only 00:04:05 but 04:05:00. OK, too hard, but 01:05:00?

elmann
10-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Ok after listening to Ralf's entry I almost can hardly believe I'm brave enough to post this.(
Overdub makes it hard. OK, Ralf's entry was great. But: Your is really good. Experienced singing and mastered strumming.

ukuLily Mars
11-01-2013, 06:31 AM
Hi, Seasonistas! Sorry I haven't posted results from Season 88 yet. I'm heading off for a conference and a visit to my parents next week and I'm a bit behind schedule.

I will post results no later than Monday, sooner if I can get my act together, if that's okay with you all!

11-01-2013, 06:45 PM
if that's okay with you all!
the host is always right

the host is always wonderful

ukuLily Mars
11-05-2013, 05:42 AM
Thank you all for bearing with me! Itís been rather a hectic few weeks and tomorrow I leave for a trip to the US to attend a conference and visit my parents. (Itís okay, though, because Iím packed, if by ďpackedĒ you mean ďhave most of my stuff on the living room floor in the general vicinity of my suitcase.Ē)

Anyway, here are the results, and Iím sorry I wasnít able to do a video but youíll have to take my word for it that the hat from which these names were drawn is indeed very snazzy.

1. lelouden, for her Rock My Soul tutorial
2. myrnaukulele, for Top of the World
3. jazzbanjorex, for Bonaparte's Retreat

Special award goes to xommen, the only person to make the daily challenge.

Winners, please send me your address at your convenience. Youíre all in luck because itís snowflake season. By which I mean, Iíve been making little snowflakes, which I will put on little ribbons and mail to you. You may hang them on a window or a lamp, or on a tree if you happen to have one in your living room. You may use them to decorate a gift and I assure you I will not be offended if you give them to someone else. Theyíre goofy but they are cute and theyíre made with love and I hope you like them.

There were some really magical moments in Season 88, and I thank all of you for those. I loved seeing all of you learning from each other and being inspired by each otherís work, which to me is why we do these crazy things. I loved seeing some of you doing things you hadnít done before. I love the fact that some of you think I had something to do with your learning something new. I loved having some of the Seasonista youngsters stop by. Am I the only one who gets kind of a thrill out of the idea that some day these kids might remember fondly the nutty old ukers and their jam sessions with their parents and grandparents? Please tell them how much we enjoy their company.

Thanks to all of you for supporting each other by commenting and cheering each other on. Thanks to all of our newcomers, for just showing up and joining the party. I also want to thank all of you who posted tutorials; Iíve watched all of them and learned from them and Iím sure Iím not the only one.

Well, I think thatís it for Season 88! Thank you all again for making this such a great party.

11-05-2013, 05:49 AM
congrats to the winners, and a big thank you to lily for hosting such a great contest!

rock on everyone :music:

wallyboy
11-05-2013, 06:08 AM
well done to the winners, nice hosting lily

lelouden
11-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Well I am speechless, honored and humbled to proudly except from the snazzy hat:) Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I will look fondly at my snowflake every christmas for the rest of its existence. I'd like to thank the academy of the snazzy hat and thank all those involved in the drawing from it.
On a more serious note, Lily this was a really good season for me and I am glad to have been a part of it. I appreciate the efforts that it takes to host a season and the fun and friends that we make along the way from our participation. I consider you and this group among my funnest new friends! You are much appreciated! I put a special tree up every year for special ornaments that I add more to every year. I have had a tradition of giving a new ornament to my kids that represent their accomplishments or hobby for that year so seriously this snowflake will be a great memory for me. I will treasure it:)

decaturcomp
11-05-2013, 06:15 PM
EXCELLENT!!
Well done all.
Thank you Lilykins!!

decaturcomp
11-05-2013, 06:20 PM
"Am I the only one who gets kind of a thrill out of the idea that some day these kids might remember fondly the nutty old ukers and their jam sessions with their parents and grandparents? Please tell them how much we enjoy their company."

No, you're not.
I had a favorite uncle who, used to duet with me on clarinet when I was learning the guitar. We'd play "Sweet Georgia Brown" and "I'm Eighteen" during the same sessions. He also hipped me to Tom Lehrer and lots of old Jazz 78's including one called "Dreamed about a Reefer" by the Harlem Hamfats as I recall.

Inter-generational music making is the thing to do.

ukuleledaddy
11-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Congrats winners, and thanks Lily for a fun and challenging season. I learned a couple of songs this week I may have never tried. Thanks.

UkeyDave
11-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Bon Voyage Lily and thanks for a fantastic week.

xommen
11-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks for a great season Lily, I really liked the no real rules on what song to pick of this season (as long as you did not know it before on uke of course). And to be specially awarded that really makes it a special season ;).

bonesigh
11-06-2013, 04:08 AM
This was a fun season, wasn't it (: Congrats to all the winners!!!