PDA

View Full Version : Season 88 of the Ukulele: Forget What You Know!

Pages : [1] 2

ukuLily Mars
10-19-2013, 03:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDgZ9RitM4g

Forget What You Know!

This week, you are to record a song you do not know at the time I post this thread. (That means a song you haven’t played on the ukulele. It’s okay if you know the song in a general sense, or have sung it or played it on another instrument or on a radio.)

If you are new to the ukulele, or new to the Seasons, it is okay to post a song you’ve been working on. Just recording and posting a song is hard enough the first few times, so while I urge you to challenge yourself, I trust you to decide what that means for you.

If you are one of those (awesome) Seasonistas who learns a new song every week, or who (holy cats!) writes a new song every week, try something to challenge yourself anyway: a new technique, a different style of music, something to make it interesting.

The rules:

1. Multitracking is fine, but I want to see your ukulele and your pretty face. Duplicate entries are not only fine, they are awesome.

2. No bonuses. No “vintage” videos.

3. You may post one and only one video… PER DAY! (I forgot to mention in the video: each entry will go into the hat for the drawing.) If you’re recording with another Seasonista, that’s one video per UU account per day.

4. Please do not post before noon Eastern Time in the US. That’s 6pm in Switzerland, 5pm in the UK, 6am in Hawai’I, and 9am in Cloverdale. Apologies to Seasonistas from other time zones but I hope that helps.

5. Please mention in the video that it is for Season 88 of the Ukulele. (Rats! I forgot to say that in the video, too.)

6. Winners will be drawn randomly from a snazzy hat because I learned my lesson in Season 75. Prizes will be, as Tootler says, “token,” and I have no idea what they will be yet, but then I also have no idea which snazzy hat I will draw from.

7. For your own protection: you may do no more than three takes. I do not want anyone frustrated or annoyed. Less than three can be too much pressure, more than three you start thinking you can be perfect, and that’s not fun. Fun is good. (If you’re multitracking, I leave it to your judgment because I have no idea.)

As this theme would suggest, I am not looking for perfect videos. I want to see everybody having fun and maybe learning something.

A word to new Seasonistas: It takes courage just to show up and learn your lessons in public. Let us know if you need any help; this theme is very broad for you and if you want some guidance just post in the thread or send me a private message and I or one of the magnificent seasoned Seasonistas will be happy to help. Please let us know if this is your first time posting, though, as I don’t always know. We get very excited when you join us (especially Ginny).

I would love to see some of the Seasonista spouses who occasionally stop by, and kids and grandkids. And pets! It’s random drawing so there are no extra points for pets, but pets make me happy.

Oh, I almost forgot! The TCK Rule applies, in that you are invited to share what you learned in preparing your song. You can do this in the thread or in the actual video. This is purely optional.

Thanks, everybody! I’m very excited to see what you all come up with. Thanks for stopping by!

(By the way, I did a really horrible job with this video, so I apologize. I forgot to mention a couple things but everything should be covered here in the post. If you have any questions please sing out, literally or figuratively.)

Playlist filled with awesome videos by awesome people (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDgZ9RitM4g&list=PLeeg21oFp5m3tjMj-CZm_9exjh3GFCJJA&index=1)
Playlist of Seasonistas teaching Seasonistas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzlycwE0KcE&list=PLeeg21oFp5m32ihrKfKY5KOybWRXvmgcD)

GinnyT11
10-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Ooooooooh, Lily, this is a cool challenge!
I'll be looking through those songs I don't try because there's something hard for me in them.

TCK
10-19-2013, 07:37 PM
YAY- Snazzy hat! OK. SO I never know the songs I post for more than about 20 minutes. I figure I will step outside the box and play only one song at the end of the week that I have practiced for hours- NOT.
I will bring pets and spouses I am fairly sure.
This is gonna be fun!
Thanks for hosting again Lily

Tootler
10-19-2013, 11:24 PM
This looks like an invitation to dust off those songs I've been meaning to learn but never quite got round to.

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
10-20-2013, 02:05 AM
I only know 4 songs at the moment [although have tried a few more] so that doesn't cut down the opportunities for me to choose as song for this week.
Not sure where to look for inspiration for a song with the chords that I know :^( oh well, I have a week to work on it.

ukuLily Mars
10-20-2013, 03:34 AM
Ooooooooh, Lily, this is a cool challenge!
I'll be looking through those songs I don't try because there's something hard for me in them.
That's the stuff! If you think it's too hard it just might be time to try it.

YAY- Snazzy hat! OK. SO I never know the songs I post for more than about 20 minutes. I figure I will step outside the box and play only one song at the end of the week that I have practiced for hours- NOT.
I will bring pets and spouses I am fairly sure.
This is gonna be fun!
Thanks for hosting again Lily
I have to admit I thought of you, and I know you're one of the people who does something new every week (Cuban Pete, anyone?). Well, just doing what you already do is good. Knowing you, something will come up during the week to get you thinking!

This looks like an invitation to dust off those songs I've been meaning to learn but never quite got round to.
Yup! Exactly what I had in mind. That should be fun for you, and the way you choose your songs we will all learn something!

I only know 4 songs at the moment [although have tried a few more] so that doesn't cut down the opportunities for me to choose as song for this week.
Not sure where to look for inspiration for a song with the chords that I know :^( oh well, I have a week to work on it.
Maybe you will want to learn a new song anyway. Maybe with a chord or two you don't know? I remember in my second Season having to learn a new song (I needed a song about coffee or tea or honey) and I spent the entire week practicing two chord changes over and over... and over... and over. It ended up being very valuable, and was great practice in how to, you know, practice. Is there a video another Seasonista did during another Season that you liked? Maybe you can try that song, and you can ask that person to help you with it. Or try a song you do know but with a different strumming or picking pattern.

You might do one of the songs that you have tried but don't feel you "know" as well as your best ones. Practice for a couple days to get confident with it (not necessarily all week, but that could be fun for you, too), then record it. That's where I would start, I think. Anyone have any other suggestions for Waffles? (May I call you Waffles?)

decaturcomp
10-20-2013, 04:01 AM
I am digging it, what is happening, here.

I have an idea or two of how to be wicked to myself and to bend and stretch and learn and grow because of your huge slab o' wisdom Frau Lilykins!

Thank you!!

TCK
10-20-2013, 04:29 AM
It occurs to me that Miss Lily...when she leads a season, she is considerate of the special needs kids over in time out on the island. This statement below leads me to believe that this week is going to be even better than previously expected.
Number one is in the can- how long do I gotta wait so I don't vex last weeks host?

I have an idea or two of how to be wicked to myself and to bend and stretch and learn and grow because of your huge slab o' wisdom Frau Lilykins!

Thank you!!

UkeyDave
10-20-2013, 04:32 AM
And HERE IS THE FIRST POST and one wish completed. ;-)
Well here is my first entry. Well I learned this one today. Although it is a song I am very familiar with (I love The Killers) I only learned the chords to actually play it today. I've tried to do the song in a different style to the original although I have no idea what style you would call it. Swing maybe? Dunno.
Anyway. I hope you enjoy.
Oh and HERE IS THE FANTASTIC ORIGINAL. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzUzEGIKjSQ)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FJCzOYRqqc

TCK
10-20-2013, 04:41 AM
Hahahaha- That is RAD Dave. I remember staying up until 3AM to do the same at some point. Well played good sir!

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
10-20-2013, 05:14 AM
Maybe you will want to learn a new song anyway. Maybe with a chord or two you don't know? I remember in my second Season having to learn a new song (I needed a song about coffee or tea or honey) and I spent the entire week practicing two chord changes over and over... and over... and over. It ended up being very valuable, and was great practice in how to, you know, practice. Is there a video another Seasonista did during another Season that you liked? Maybe you can try that song, and you can ask that person to help you with it. Or try a song you do know but with a different strumming or picking pattern.

You might do one of the songs that you have tried but don't feel you "know" as well as your best ones. Practice for a couple days to get confident with it (not necessarily all week, but that could be fun for you, too), then record it. That's where I would start, I think. Anyone have any other suggestions for Waffles? (May I call you Waffles?)[/QUOTE]

Call me what you like so long as it isn't late for lunch.
I will of course find a new song :^)

ukuLily Mars
10-20-2013, 05:32 AM
You people are awesome. I can't wait to see what you all do this week.

I was watching bonesigh's wonderful "Whiskey in the Jar" tutorial from Season 87 (I know, you wouldn't think we would need a tutorial for that, but she did a really beautiful job), and it occurs to me that some Seasonistas have done wonderful tutorials in the past. Since this week is about growing, we should include teaching, too, don't you agree? Finding a way to share a song so someone else can learn it is challenging in itself. So if you want to do a tutorial of a song you know, that will be okay. Maybe a newcome will decide to use the tutorial for their entry!

Okay, as you were. 28 minutes until UkeyDave goes live, and we don't want to annoy last week's host.

UkeyDave
10-20-2013, 06:07 AM
Okay, as you were. 28 minutes until UkeyDave goes live, and we don't want to annoy last week's host.
Hahaha this made me laugh out loud Lily. Strangely AND completely coincidentally I included the chords this week. Blimey now that is spooky and I can now confirm. I AM LIVE. ha

watchyourtoes
10-20-2013, 06:17 AM
Your three take limit is my very favorite rule ever! I had to enforce a similar rule with myself 70 or so seasons ago. I caught myself doing take after take, thinking I would eventually be able to hit some of the notes I couldn't before. It would take all day and I'd only end up frustrated or not posting anything. Since, I've decided that, once I know a song and begin recording, if I make it to the end of the song, I'm done with that take. I've been a far less cranky Seasonista since. This has kept The Season fun. Why else would we all be here week after week? Also, I'm willing to bet, for most of us, that our take #3 was better than take #33.
Great theme, ukuLily Mars! Looking forward to another fun season!

ukuLily Mars
10-20-2013, 06:20 AM
Hahaha this made me laugh out loud Lily. Strangely AND completely coincidentally I included the chords this week. Blimey now that is spooky and I can now confirm. I AM LIVE. ha
You sure are! Way to break from the gate, my friend! (Oh, sorry; wrong season.) This is really wonderful. It's fantastic that you included the chords! Hey, everybody, c'mon and jam with Dave!

So, what are you gonna do for tomorrow's entry, Dave??? :music:

ukuLily Mars
10-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Your three take limit is my very favorite rule ever! I had to enforce a similar rule with myself 70 or so seasons ago. I caught myself doing take after take, thinking I would eventually be able to hit some of the notes I couldn't before. It would take all day and I'd only end up frustrated or not posting anything. Since, I've decided that, once I know a song and begin recording, if I make it to the end of the song, I'm done with that take. I've been a far less cranky Seasonista since. This has kept The Season fun. Why else would we all be here week after week? Also, I'm willing to bet, for most of us, that our take #3 was better than take #33.
Great theme, ukuLily Mars! Looking forward to another fun season!
I'm glad I'm not the only one! Although I was pretty sure I wasn't. Very happy you like the theme! I'm looking forward to seeing what you post.

ukuLily Mars
10-20-2013, 06:25 AM
Aaaaaand... we have a playlist! Give me stuff to put in it!

UkeyDave
10-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Making sure my vid was on time. Is this behaviour normal? I may have lost the plot ;-)

http://youtu.be/jYpIU9MNL1w

ukuLily Mars
10-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Making sure my vid was on time. Is this behaviour normal? I may have lost the plot ;-)

:biglaugh: I've learned something already! Also, I am going to write "tap to snooze" on my forehead. I will use lipstick, I think.

barefootgypsy
10-20-2013, 08:40 AM
This looks fun, Lily! :D I'm preparing for a few days away again (lucky me) so I won't be entering, I'm sorry.... you're already a fabulous host and I know it will be a super week for you and all the Seasonistas taking part!

wallyboy
10-20-2013, 09:05 AM
fun theme lilly, got a song or two on the back burner

ukuLily Mars
10-20-2013, 09:10 AM
This looks fun, Lily! :D I'm preparing for a few days away again (lucky me) so I won't be entering, I'm sorry.... you're already a fabulous host and I know it will be a super week for you and all the Seasonistas taking part!
That's a shame, Lesley! You will be missed. Stop by whenever you can.

fun theme lilly, got a song or two on the back burner
I can't wait to see it (or them)!

pabrizzer
10-20-2013, 09:25 AM
OK. Waited for someone else to post first and as UkeyDave has posted I'll assume it is safe to do so.
Song not done before but I love the group David Wax Museum and decided I'd learn some more of their songs.
The words for this weren't on world wide web or at least not easily found so I had to write them out from the song. Chords were simple so just worked them out from the song as well. You can click on the song title to check out the original.
Look What You've Done To Me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMZtYxwhaek)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOu_HzREccE

xommen
10-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Great theme Lily, as you might know recording a new song specifically for the current week is what I do most of the time. But normally I do know the song for a long time (except for something like Tom Paxton week). So this is a U2 song I did not now existed before today and only heard it twice before recording, this was take 3. I am working on variating strumming techniques and speed and this is a song that fits this approach. So here this is Sweet fire of love by U2 and Robbie Robertson.

http://youtu.be/lN-lD4OGAO4

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
10-20-2013, 11:02 AM
RIGHT, found a song, recorded take one and messed up in the middle. Went back to the PC to retype the words/chords clearer and discovered there are more verses than on the copy I had.... back to the drawing board, and probably won't be able to record now till Wednesday :^( due to busyness elsewhere :^((

might as well get the words right even if it is going to be a completely different arrangement to you will have heard before ;^)

ukuLily Mars
10-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Playlist is updated through xommen.

And HERE IS THE FIRST POST and one wish completed. ;-)
Well here is my first entry. Well I learned this one today. Although it is a song I am very familiar with (I love The Killers) I only learned the chords to actually play it today. I've tried to do the song in a different style to the original although I have no idea what style you would call it. Swing maybe? Dunno.
Anyway. I hope you enjoy.
Oh and HERE IS THE FANTASTIC ORIGINAL. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzUzEGIKjSQ)
I know I already commented on this, but not officially. This way is much more official. See the difference? Anyway: I loved this! I don't know what to call the style, so I'm going to call it UkeyDave style. I am going to play along with this... but probably not tonight because technology has been beating me up all day and I'm in a bad mood and I still have work to do.

OK. Waited for someone else to post first and as UkeyDave has posted I'll assume it is safe to do so.
Song not done before but I love the group David Wax Museum and decided I'd learn some more of their songs.
The words for this weren't on world wide web or at least not easily found so I had to write them out from the song. Chords were simple so just worked them out from the song as well. You can click on the song title to check out the original.
Look What You've Done To Me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMZtYxwhaek)
You have a way of making every song you do sound like it was written for you. I will look at the original later but for now I'm going to hang out with yours. I enjoyed it a lot. I hope you stop by with Cha on Tuesday! (Happy to see you even on your own, but she might like to be invited.) YouTube does not seem to want to let me comment but I will try again later.

Great theme Lily, as you might know recording a new song specifically for the current week is what I do most of the time. But normally I do know the song for a long time (except for something like Tom Paxton week). So this is a U2 song I did not now existed before today and only heard it twice before recording, this was take 3. I am working on variating strumming techniques and speed and this is a song that fits this approach. So here this is Sweet fire of love by U2 and Robbie Robertson.
Hey everybody, there's a U2 song Wim didn't know! Check it out! Seriously, though, in my opinion this is one of your best. Your experiment with the strumming was a success, in my book.

I was not expecting such polished performances! Did you boys get this week mixed up with 23skidoo's Best Foot Forward week?

RIGHT, found a song, recorded take one and messed up in the middle. Went back to the PC to retype the words/chords clearer and discovered there are more verses than on the copy I had.... back to the drawing board, and probably won't be able to record now till Wednesday :^( due to busyness elsewhere :^((

might as well get the words right even if it is going to be a completely different arrangement to you will have heard before ;^)
We'll be happy to see your video whenever you get it done. Life sometimes comes up when we're trying to play the ukulele.

austin1
10-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Here we go. I don't think I've ever gotten an entry in this quickly before! Ah well. Classes start tomorrow, so I wanted to get something done just in case the week turns out to be hellish.

The story behind the video is that since it's Sunday and Germans love hiking on Sundays, my boyfriend and I (after I recorded the song) took the uke and the camera on a short hike to a nearby ruined watchtower from the Middle Ages. As far as ruins go, it's not the coolest--it's not even the coolest in the vicinity--but we had fun.

This is actually Take 6 of my attempts--I know we're supposed to do it in 3, but I opted to choose from 3 takes in which I actually got through the song, not the first three where I kept messing up the chord changes in the last line of the first stanza. Hope it still counts!

Some Decemberists for you on this happy Sunday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23OUepi9bCA&feature=youtu.be

P.S. I have no idea why the video repeats itself a second time with no sound. It's only 4 minutes long, not 8, I promise.

ukuLily Mars
10-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Here we go. I don't think I've ever gotten an entry in this quickly before! Ah well. Classes start tomorrow, so I wanted to get something done just in case the week turns out to be hellish.

The story behind the video is that since it's Sunday and Germans love hiking on Sundays, my boyfriend and I (after I recorded the song) took the uke and the camera on a short hike to a nearby ruined watchtower from the Middle Ages. As far as ruins go, it's not the coolest--it's not even the coolest in the vicinity--but we had fun.

This is actually Take 6 of my attempts--I know we're supposed to do it in 3, but I opted to choose from 3 takes in which I actually got through the song, not the first three where I kept messing up the chord changes in the last line of the first stanza. Hope it still counts!

Some Decemberists for you on this happy Sunday!

P.S. I have no idea why the video repeats itself a second time with no sound. It's only 4 minutes long, not 8, I promise.

This is wonderful! Your performance is lovely and the video is beautiful. This is so much fun. I know it's a busy time for you and I appreciate your making the time for this. (I felt terrible missing your Season, but hopefully later this week you will find out why.)

Oh, playlist is updated through Tina's video.

glass
10-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Here is my entry for this week, it is a song I heard and been wanting to do but havent gotten to do it on the ukulele. So here it is its, Never Shout Never-Trouble.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTVpvR0wZAo

ukuLily Mars
10-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Here is my entry for this week, it is a song I heard and been wanting to do but havent gotten to do it on the ukulele. So here it is its, Never Shout Never-Trouble.....
Very glad you got to do this one! You did a great job with it. Really great work for such a short time!

glass
10-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Very glad you got to do this one! You did a great job with it. Really great work for such a short time!

I figure a good song with few chords is the best way to go!!

hucklelele
10-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Nice song-

it's got a great forward driving rhythm
your vocal is nice
and the video is interesting

good job!

xommen
10-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Hey everybody, there's a U2 song Wim didn't know! Check it out! Seriously, though, in my opinion this is one of your best. Your experiment with the strumming was a success, in my book.

I was not expecting such polished performances! Did you boys get this week mixed up with 23skidoo's Best Foot Forward week?

I did not know the song because it is not on any official U2 record, I am guessing it is on one of Robbie Robbertson's records. Take 1 and 2 where both horrible in my opinion so then I guess I got into it and this came out. Don't we all try to put our best foot forward every week (I know I try to and sometime fail miserable ;)).

bird's eye view of my ukelele
10-20-2013, 11:02 PM
ok here is a vid from me. it doesn't show my face so i appreciate it may not count. if it doesn't count then please consider it a bonus or a non-entry or some sort of random faceless THING :uhoh:

the song is "would you" by touch and go

i went looking for the chords for this today, just to play for fun, i love the song...

but i couldn't find any chords for it - well, not any that i could make WORK, or that made any sense to me

so i had a go at working some chords out for it myself

normally if i try this i find it impossible and i give up, but i stayed with this until i finally came up with something that worked FOR ME and sounded ok TO ME and made sense (to me)

so i'm rather pleased with myself, i know the chords are probably completely wrong, but i came up with something i was happy with, and that's a first

so here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMC6i2zQI2Y

UkeCan1
10-20-2013, 11:44 PM
Great theme, Lily, loving everyone's "stretch songs" so far. Given our track record and busy weekday schedule, we'll probably post something late Sunday when everyone has moved on to the next Season. Which we did yesterday ... a song that we totally could have used for this week - we first heard the song Saturday, learned and posted it Sunday, and yeah, I'm pretty sure this was our third take. Totally cheating to repost it here, but I hate for you all to miss it, and just for once I'd love to chime in early!

And really, you all need to hear this song, and check out this wonderful geek punk New Jersey band we covered ... and will again.

Here's Uke Can 2! (FiL and me) singing A Halo Called Fred's "Drinking for Science"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZbg_zwM0kc

(Also, newbies are allowed some latitude this week, right? I have been playing uke only 7 weeks, so I hope that cuts me some slack.)

UkeyDave
10-21-2013, 12:15 AM
ok here is a vid from me. it doesn't show my face so i appreciate it may not count. if it doesn't count then please consider it a bonus or a non-entry or some sort of random faceless THING :uhoh:

i went looking for the chords for this today, just to play for fun, i love the song...

but i couldn't find any chords for it - well, not any that i could make WORK, or that made any sense to me

normally if i try this i find it impossible and i give up, but i stayed with this until i finally came up with something that worked FOR ME and sounded ok TO ME and made sense (to me)

so i'm rather pleased with myself, i know the chords are probably completely wrong, but i came up with something i was happy with, and that's a first

so here it is...

Hey Linda. If you have an iPhone or iPad this little app (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2u5-13mTcQ) is VERY useful.

xommen
10-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Hey Linda. If you have an iPhone or iPad this little app (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2u5-13mTcQ) is VERY useful.

Or you could use http://chordify.net, it's free and works with any browser with flash I tried.

UkeyDave
10-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Or you could use http://chordify.net, it's free and works with any browser with flash I tried.
Yep. Even better.

Barbablanca
10-21-2013, 02:29 AM
I tried chordify on two of my songs and it didn't get the chords right in either of them ;). In one it didn't pick up the 7ths and in the other it didn't always get the changes in the right place. However, as the basis for working out your own version, it is probably useful.

xommen
10-21-2013, 02:43 AM
I tried chordify on two of my songs and it didn't get the chords right in either of them ;). In one it didn't pick up the 7ths and in the other it didn't always get the changes in the right place. However, as the basis for working out your own version, it is probably useful.

Yes, of course you have to check the results, but it does give a good basis for me to use 90% of the time

mythinformed
10-21-2013, 03:46 AM
Well I was unsure whether to submit this one 'tis probably toooooo raaaaaaawwwwww and covered in two takes !!
I also played way too fast for my own good to the point where I was so breathless I thought I'd need a paramedic and my voice felt as if my jeans needed loosening !! Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSewzRGsGsA&feature=youtu.be

ukuLily Mars
10-21-2013, 05:23 AM
Bonjour, Seasonistas! I'm afraid I'm getting off to a bit of a late start, but the playlist is not updated through mythinformed. Here is what I think of the most recent additions, because I know you all can't wait to hear.

so here it is...
I'm glad you're pleased with yourself, because you did a great job. I find "speaking" songs hard to pull off convincingly and I think you did a great job with this.

I'm going to cut you some slack with the face thing, for two reasons. One, this particular song is made funnier by your going out of your way to not show your face. In this context it is very witty (in my opinion). I am all for the funny. And two, I am pretty sure you are a member of the royal family and they don't want you hanging out with the likes of us and you are forced to hide your face to avoid a national scandal. "Lynda" is a code name. If I'm right about that, your secret is safe with me.

If anyone does not approve of my cutting "Lynda" some slack with this, please let me know. We should not have a double standard, not even for royalty. If you all want to see "Lynda's" face, we have her where we want her.

Great theme, Lily, loving everyone's "stretch songs" so far. Given our track record and busy weekday schedule, we'll probably post something late Sunday when everyone has moved on to the next Season. Which we did yesterday ... a song that we totally could have used for this week - we first heard the song Saturday, learned and posted it Sunday, and yeah, I'm pretty sure this was our third take. Totally cheating to repost it here, but I hate for you all to miss it, and just for once I'd love to chime in early!

And really, you all need to hear this song, and check out this wonderful geek punk New Jersey band we covered ... and will again.

Here's Uke Can 2! (FiL and me) singing A Halo Called Fred's "Drinking for Science"

(Also, newbies are allowed some latitude this week, right? I have been playing uke only 7 weeks, so I hope that cuts me some slack.)
You don't need any slack. This was terrific. I'm pretty sure you're not a member of the royal family (I don't think many of them live in New Jersey), but I'm not convinced you're a new 'uke player. This was a really fun video, very well performed and it included a lovely frog. I'm all for that.

I am not going to include it in the playlist (I'm not planning a bonus playlist as there is a no-bonus rule in effect) because it was done for another Season, but I will urge everyone who hasn't seen it to watch it. TCK will have it on one of his playlists and it's here in the thread. Thanks for posting anyway, though; I hadn't seen this one yet.

You two are a great team!

Well I was unsure whether to submit this one 'tis probably toooooo raaaaaaawwwwww and covered in two takes !!
I also played way too fast for my own good to the point where I was so breathless I thought I'd need a paramedic and my voice felt as if my jeans needed loosening !! Lol
Raw is good! Your performance is anything but, though. I'm sure the speed was a challenge for playing but for those of us who just have to listen, it was perfect. I think you played and sang it really well.

Thanks, everybody, for your awesome videos! I'm going back to make sure I haven't missed anything.

ukuLily Mars
10-21-2013, 05:37 AM

Thank you!!
I can't wait to see what you come up with. You're one of those guys who comes up with something new anyway, and you always make it look easy, so I'm glad you're going to challenge myself although I have NO idea what that will entail.

Hee. You can call me Lilykins.

I figure a good song with few chords is the best way to go!!
This would be my strategy.

Don't we all try to put our best foot forward every week (I know I try to and sometime fail miserable ;)).
You have a good point. I suppose if we didn't the three-take rule wouldn't be an issue!

strumsilly
10-21-2013, 05:46 AM
looking through Richard G's songbook[ http://www.scorpexuke.com/song-display.html?song=Everybodys_Talking.pdf&id=144 ] and saw this one. I've always liked this easy going song and Harry Nilsson's voice, so I thought I'd give er a go. learned, recorded and posted in under an hour, but I had fun. easy chords, but I"m not much of a yodeler, which this song needs, but I tried.

http://youtu.be/P-m0rGQmZLY

ukuLily Mars
10-21-2013, 05:50 AM
First of all, I want to tell you all how much I appreciate the great work that's gone into this week's entries. We don't have a large number of videos yet but I didn't expect we would with a theme that requires everyone to start from scratch!

When I update the playlist I will tell you the last entry added so you know what should be posted. If you posted before that video and you're not on the playlist, please let me know.

In the playlist, I have added a comment for people whose YouTube names do not match their UU names. You may have to go back to the playlist page to see this, but I hope it is helpful.

The trend lately has been to comment on others' videos on YouTube, which is fine. I do that so that people who see your video but not the thread will know I think you're awesome. But some people still like to comment in the thread and that's wonderful. Keeps the thread lively and less Lilycentric which is better for everybody.

pabrizzer, YouTube finally let me post a comment to your video. Sorry for the delay.

Finally: has anybody seen TCK? He must be exhausted. But I get worried when he's not around for too long.

Okay. Back to work, all of you.

UkeCan1
10-21-2013, 06:02 AM
You don't need any slack. This was terrific. I'm pretty sure you're not a member of the royal family (I don't think many of them live in New Jersey), but I'm not convinced you're a new 'uke player. This was a really fun video, very well performed and it included a lovely frog. I'm all for that.

I am not going to include it in the playlist (I'm not planning a bonus playlist as there is a no-bonus rule in effect) because it was done for another Season, but I will urge everyone who hasn't seen it to watch it. TCK will have it on one of his playlists and it's here in the thread. Thanks for posting anyway, though; I hadn't seen this one yet.

You two are a great team!

Thanks, Lily! I appreciate the chance for our video to get seen - I always feel like we lose a lot by always posting late on Sunday - and keeping it off the playlist and as a bonus is exactly right. I didn't mean for it to be part of this week's Season - just want you all to get a chance to see it! We worked hard at learning a brand new song last-minute, and it's an awesome song, perfect for the (Halloween) season, and lots of fun.

Bless your heart ... I started playing uke only on August 31st, 7 weeks ago ... FiL's excellent playing covers up a lot! Except for a very brief flirtation many years ago with a too-hard-to-play guitar (which remains against my wall, unplayed, to this day), and an even briefer one with a Strumstick, I have never played a stringed instrument before. For some reason, this was the right instrument at the right time. Loving it. Having fun. Learning as fast as I can.

Oh, and I wrote a complete song last week. Will video it as soon as I can play it creditably, and there's an appropriate Season for it. (Which *might* just be this week, if I can get it together. So PLEASE keep watching on Sunday - I need the practice time!!!)

And you're right, New Jersey is a democratic state, so no royal families here. I am, however, running for Queen of New Jersey in November, so please vote for me.

- Wendy of Uke Can 2!

Here's the video link again, for those that missed it. :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZbg_zwM0kc

ukuLily Mars
10-21-2013, 06:10 AM
Wendy, you have my vote. I live out of state, though (waaaaaayyyy out of state); does that matter? No. Vote early and vote often, that's my policy.

Smart move to team up with FiL. He is excellent. Most important is that you are obviously both having fun. I personally would LOVE to see a song you wrote! I hope you can get it done this week. Sunday is fine. I think it may be true that more people will see your work if you post earlier, if you don't post it at all then nobody will see it, so better late than never. I can assure you that if you post here on Sunday I will see it and comment, and I will not be alone. There is also a videos thread in the Forum, and I know some people post there. If you want more people to see your work you could try that.

I love that you say the 'uke was "the right instrument at the right time." I think that's true for many of us.

xommen
10-21-2013, 06:48 AM
This is an original song I wrote for season 88, as we are allowed to do an entry a day (right?), I'm trying to achieve this, nice challenge there Lily. Lyrics and chord are available via youtube. The idea for the song started yesterday and most of the lyrics came in my head while driving to work, I took some chords that should go well together from a website and then came up with this while recording my second take. I hope you like it ;). I'm hoping to submit another song tomorrow I have some lined up just for this purpose.

http://youtu.be/NnQsiRuJjB0

UkeCan1
10-21-2013, 06:49 AM
Wendy, you have my vote. I live out of state, though (waaaaaayyyy out of state); does that matter? No. Vote early and vote often, that's my policy.

Smart move to team up with FiL. He is excellent. Most important is that you are obviously both having fun. I personally would LOVE to see a song you wrote! I hope you can get it done this week. Sunday is fine. I think it may be true that more people will see your work if you post earlier, if you don't post it at all then nobody will see it, so better late than never. I can assure you that if you post here on Sunday I will see it and comment, and I will not be alone. There is also a videos thread in the Forum, and I know some people post there. If you want more people to see your work you could try that.

I love that you say the 'uke was "the right instrument at the right time." I think that's true for many of us.

Lily, I'm pretty sure for the royal positions you can vote from anywhere, as many times as you want. Early and often works for me! (I do like to win. :-) )

At the risk of embarrassing FiL (not to mention making him itch to correct my math), I agree 1000%.

I guess you must be right about the "uke moment" for many of us. Mine was especially magical. NJ had its first UkeFest. In which I had pretty much zero interest, not playing a stringed instrument and all. I was on the fence about going Friday night to see the "Mighty Uke" movie; only went because someone else I knew was going.

That movie is like crack - totally hooked me from the first minutes. After that I *had* to go back on Saturday, borrow a loaner uke, attend every playing workshop all day, and practice those songs in my lame thumb strum every minute in between. After the second workshop, I bought a uke, and that was pretty much the end of me ever getting any work done ever again. Like now. :-)

Now I think we need a new thread for people's first "uke moments".

- Wendy

UkeyDave
10-21-2013, 06:50 AM

- Wendy
Then start one. ;-) (great idea)

10-21-2013, 07:06 AM

thank you very much, chaps. that app looks nifty but i can't do apps - i don't have a smart phone... or a smart anything actually :( i did try chordify - but the chords it came up with just didn't seem to work for me at all. although i think a couple of the chords i ended up with were in the list of about half a million that chordify was coming up with! so maybe i'm close :cool:

I am pretty sure you are a member of the royal family and they don't want you hanging out with the likes of us and you are forced to hide your face to avoid a national scandal. "Lynda" is a code name. If I'm right about that, your secret is safe with me.
thank you lily! all i'm saying is, i'm surprised i have time for uke-ing, what with all the three day eventing, and helping mama open flower shows, and wotnot.

GinnyT11
10-21-2013, 07:09 AM
...After the second workshop, I bought a uke, and that was pretty much the end of me ever getting any work done ever again. Like now. :-)

- Wendy

Start one, Wendy!

UkeCan1
10-21-2013, 07:10 AM

I would, Dave, but I'm much too busy writing songs and making videos. :-)

lelouden
10-21-2013, 07:22 AM
OK I feel like the first day back after Spring Break and Im sitting in the back of the class listening to all the chatter.....My head is splitting!

I'll be looking through those songs I don't try because there's something hard for me in them.Ummm, every song for me is hard!
OK. SO I never know the songs I post for more than about 20 minutes. What the *%^#
Hahahaha- That is RAD Dave. I remember staying up until 3AM to do the same at some point. OK...Thank you!!!

Is she a teacher in the real world???

Then I slowly start to wake up and realize thats why I'm here. To learn and grow and challenge myself. My fourth week in the seasons and every things brand new. So why am I letting this be so hard? This has been my theme every week....Ok Attitude in check!:) Now sitting up in my chair in the back of the room and opening up my book:) :) :)
If you have an iPhone or iPad this little app is VERY useful. I'm so glad my best freind is in this class with me... sigh... "Ukulele Chord Detector!"

UkeCan1
10-21-2013, 07:27 AM
...After the second workshop, I bought a uke, and that was pretty much the end of me ever getting any work done ever again. Like now. :-)

Start one, Wendy!

Okay, I did it! Here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?87764-Uke-Moments-Your-quot-Love-at-First-Strum-quot-First-Encounter-with-the-Ukulele

Please go share your Uke Moment!

- Wendy

austin1
10-21-2013, 07:39 AM
all i'm saying is, i'm surprised i have time for uke-ing, what with all the three day eventing

You do eventing? You're a brave women. I do the jumpers, where the fences fall DOWN if you hit them. Never worked up the courage for eventing!

ukuLily Mars
10-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Is she a teacher in the real world???

Then I slowly start to wake up and realize thats why I'm here. To learn and grow and challenge myself. My fourth week in the seasons and every things brand new. So why am I letting this be so hard? This has been my theme every week....Ok Attitude in check!:) Now sitting up in my chair in the back of the room and opening up my book:) :) :) I'm so glad my best freind is in this class with me... sigh... "Ukulele Chord Detector!"

Hee!!! Nope, not a teacher! And there's no detention here. (Although, actually, detention here would be AWESOME. I'm going to have to think about that.)

It's okay to vent here. Sometimes we work on something that frustrates us a little before we get the hang of it. I'm pretty sure I'm not just speaking for myself here. The Seasons force us, if we choose to participate, to face down a deadline, and some weeks that's easy and some weeks... not so much. Really, I think most of us learn something every time we put something out here; the only difference this week is I'm making that the central point.

Let me say this: it's more important that you do a song that will be fun for you, and that will add to your bag of tricks in a way that will be useful for you, than that you do a beautifully polished video. The Seasons are for us to hang out with like-minded lunatics, and to maybe improve our skills. In my opinion, it's in that order.

It's wonderful hearing what some of our newcomers are thinking. Thank you all for being so open.

ukuLily Mars
10-21-2013, 08:10 AM
looking through Richard G's songbook[ http://www.scorpexuke.com/song-display.html?song=Everybodys_Talking.pdf&id=144 ] and saw this one. I've always liked this easy going song and Harry Nilsson's voice, so I thought I'd give er a go. learned, recorded and posted in under an hour, but I had fun. easy chords, but I"m not much of a yodeler, which this song needs, but I tried.
Oh, I think you did a great job. In my head I was mixing images of Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman in 1960s New York City with you in your backyard. You played and sang it beautifully (easy song? so what?) and I think it's one of my favorite videos of yours so far.

This is an original song I wrote for season 88, as we are allowed to do an entry a day (right?), I'm trying to achieve this, nice challenge there Lily. Lyrics and chord are available via youtube. The idea for the song started yesterday and most of the lyrics came in my head while driving to work, I took some chords that should go well together from a website and then came up with this while recording my second take. I hope you like it ;). I'm hoping to submit another song tomorrow I have some lined up just for this purpose.
First of all, I love that you wrote an original song. Second, as you all know I love anything that's ABOUT ME. Therefore, this is Awesome. You did a great job with this and it's lots of fun. (You should feel free to write a song in Dutch, if that's easier for you, although you obviously have no trouble with English.)

Yes -- everyone is allowed one video PER DAY. Doing a video each day is a great challenge! So far you are the only one in the running but it's still early in some parts of the world. (UkeyDave? Can you hear me? pabrizzer?) I am not keeping track of when days start and end since we're in so many time zones, so if you want to fudge this a little I probably not only won't notice, I doubt I'll care. You could also record them all at once and if you post them one a day I will have no idea.

By the way, is this method of commenting working for everyone? Using the quotes? Are you able to find and read them okay? Let me know if you have trouble with it.

Oh, playlist is updated through xommen's second entry. Also, playlist is awesome. Check it out if you haven't already.

xommen
10-21-2013, 08:37 AM
First of all, I love that you wrote an original song. Second, as you all know I love anything that's ABOUT ME. Therefore, this is Awesome. You did a great job with this and it's lots of fun. (You should feel free to write a song in Dutch, if that's easier for you, although you obviously have no trouble with English.)

Yes -- everyone is allowed one video PER DAY. Doing a video each day is a great challenge! So far you are the only one in the running but it's still early in some parts of the world. (UkeyDave? Can you hear me? pabrizzer?) I am not keeping track of when days start and end since we're in so many time zones, so if you want to fudge this a little I probably not only won't notice, I doubt I'll care. You could also record them all at once and if you post them one a day I will have no idea.
thanks Lily for me the commenting works fine. Writing songs in Dutch is much harder then in English our language has a lot of hard sounds (like German) which makes it much harder to make a sentence flow (if you know what I mean I have no idea how to explain it any better). So I normally start out thinking of English lyrics, I could try a Dutch song for the end of the week but that is a real challenge ;).

UkeCan1
10-21-2013, 08:50 AM
I could try a Dutch song for the end of the week but that is a real challenge ;).

Ja, Wim, ik wil een beetje Nederlands horen!

- Wendy van NJ

ukuLily Mars
10-21-2013, 08:50 AM
thanks Lily for me te commenting works fine. Writing songs in Dutch is much harder then in English our language has a lot of hard sounds (like German) which makes it much harder to make a sentence flow (if you know what I mean I have no idea how to explain it any better). So I normally start out thinking of English lyrics, I could try a Dutch song for the end of the week but that is a real challenge ;).
Understood. I don't speak a word of Dutch (and in German all I can do is announce that I would like coffee with milk and apple strudel, please; for some reason all the people I know who speak German think that's hilarious, possibly because I think I speak German with a French accent -- but I digress), but I have heard enough of it to understand what you mean. Any language at all is fine, and that goes for everybody. (Joko -- got a Thai song for us?)

wallyboy
10-21-2013, 11:30 AM
heres my bash lily,
it is the first time I have picked a song to put on you tube, your theme gave me an excuse to do it, bit ropey in places done with one take,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icJp9smytSc&feature=youtube_gdata

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
10-21-2013, 11:36 AM
For complicated reasons I was at home tonight after all so managed to have another go. I decided that I would record and post no matter what.
so here it is.

not the normal arrangement,

http://youtu.be/2CiPJrQbuLc

Whether I an playing Uke, Harp or Cajon, I call my style and mix of music Sarahan Surf music....
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

greyghost
10-21-2013, 12:16 PM
This season should be a fun one. I don't know about the rest of you, but almost all of my entries have been songs I learned on the spot for the Seasons. That's one reason why I do this: It keeps forcing me to expand my repertoire. This next one would have also been a fine entry for season 87, but I just didn't get around to learning it in time (+ I had already submitted 4 videos, a new record for me). This has been one of my favorite obscure songs for about 35 years. It was originally recorded by Tim Curry (at this point, not enough people remember that he actually had a successful recording career in the wake of Rocky Horror, which lasted several albums), then languished in obscurity until Joe Bonamassa made it the title track of one of his albums fairly recently. Joe's version cleans up the language a bit, a change I decided to follow here (though I'm thinking of also recording the original version and just not entering it in the Season--it really does flow better with a 2-syllable word where "damn" has been subbed in). Anway, here you go: A song I've never played along with before, recorded in a single take (which is only really obvious a couple of times).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldVgjpasKFI&feature=youtu.be

ukuLily Mars
10-21-2013, 01:19 PM
heres my bash lily,
it is the first time I have picked a song to put on you tube, your theme gave me an excuse to do it, bit ropey in places done with one take,
That's wonderful, Wally! The picking was great! I didn't notice any "ropey" spots, and I'm impressed it was one take. The picking really showed off the uke's sound nicely, too, I thought. Nice version of a classic.

For complicated reasons I was at home tonight after all so managed to have another go. I decided that I would record and post no matter what.
so here it is.

not the normal arrangement,

Whether I an playing Uke, Harp or Cajon, I call my style and mix of music Sarahan Surf music....
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
It makes me happy that you enjoy it. And I certainly did, too! Glad you were able to get some time this early in the week, but I hope it won't stop you from coming back again, if time permits. This was really nice.

This season should be a fun one. I don't know about the rest of you, but almost all of my entries have been songs I learned on the spot for the Seasons. That's one reason why I do this: It keeps forcing me to expand my repertoire. This next one would have also been a fine entry for season 87, but I just didn't get around to learning it in time (+ I had already submitted 4 videos, a new record for me). This has been one of my favorite obscure songs for about 35 years. It was originally recorded by Tim Curry (at this point, not enough people remember that he actually had a successful recording career in the wake of Rocky Horror, which lasted several albums), then languished in obscurity until Joe Bonamassa made it the title track of one of his albums fairly recently. Joe's version cleans up the language a bit, a change I decided to follow here (though I'm thinking of also recording the original version and just not entering it in the Season--it really does flow better with a 2-syllable word where "damn" has been subbed in). Anway, here you go: A song I've never played along with before, recorded in a single take (which is only really obvious a couple of times).
Wow, your voice and this song were made for each other. I actually like these lyrics, because they give it more of an old-timey-blues feel, and it makes the emotion stronger, in my opinion. The stronger language allows a catharsis that I think diffuses the emotion. (Blah blah blah...) Your delivery was really beautiful and you played beautifully, too. Loved it.

Playlist is updated, up to greyghost, and it's getting more and more awesome.

Somebody drive by TCK's place and make sure he's okay. He might still be sleeping off Season 87.

UkeCan1
10-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Somebody drive by TCK's place and make sure he's okay. He might still be sleeping off Season 87.

Give the man a break. (While we're cutting people slack.) He has 153 videos to watch!

- Wendy (who appreciates the slack you cut for her)

ukuLily Mars
10-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Give the man a break. (While we're cutting people slack.) He has 153 videos to watch!

- Wendy (who appreciates the slack you cut for her)

You have a point, but... umm... no. I never cut TCK any slack. That's what makes our relationship so special. :music: Oh, all right, just this once. That is a lot of videos. Also I think the dogs were judging and they hardly ever agree on music.

I miss your frog. You and FiL working up anything new? Wouldn't mind a visit from FiL's cat, Simon, now that I think of it.

erivel
10-21-2013, 02:08 PM
He's our entry. My brother Cave and I had a marathon recording session today. Here's a song we never tried to play before...

http://youtu.be/j_u_ygvx0kQ

ukuLily Mars
10-21-2013, 02:38 PM
He's our entry. My brother Cave and I had a marathon recording session today. Here's a song we never tried to play before...
Hi Cave! Nice to meet you!

Wow, this was awesome. It was a blast to watch you two playing together. I was grinning the whole time. I'm willing to believe the chords are not all that difficult, and the lyrics are not highly complex, but still, it is not an easy song to play, and you two really made it look well-rehearsed. I'll take your word for it that it wasn't, but it was just awesome.

Playlist is updated through erivel and Cave.

UkeCan1
10-21-2013, 02:39 PM
I miss your frog. You and FiL working up anything new? Wouldn't mind a visit from FiL's cat, Simon, now that I think of it.

How can you miss the frog? You just saw him! Here's the antidote to missing Right Frog ... just watch "Drinking for Science" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZbg_zwM0kc) till you puke. Or till the flesh-eating monsters come. They might take a bit longer to reach Europe.

RF will be back, maybe this week. But we are both busy till the weekend, so DFS and "It Takes Two" will have to content you till then. (Unless FiL decides to share the frog sooner ... he's got custody.)

Simon's trickier, since he lives at the house, and videos are made at the office.

We have a growing list of song ideas, but haven't discussed this week's plan. If I do my song, there probably won't be a duo. We seem to be finding that one between us takes more time than we really intended to devote to this! Especially if it's a brand new one we've never played before. (So thanks for *that* two weeks in a row, Lily! :))

myrnaukelele
10-21-2013, 02:56 PM
This season should be a fun one. I don't know about the rest of you, but almost all of my entries have been songs I learned on the spot for the Seasons. That's one reason why I do this: It keeps forcing me to expand my repertoire.
I'm with you here greyghost. It's what I love about the Seasons - finding just the right song for the theme. Sometimes I think of a song I have loved over the years but have never learned to play (like the ones I learned for Motown week). Sometimes I pick a song I have never even heard before (like the kd lang song I did last week - I just happened upon it on YT while searching for a drinking song and learned it in a day). Really, most of the time I learn the song just for the Season.

glass
10-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Here is another I have been wanting to learn and play

http://youtu.be/_JAv96gGvsg

ukuLily Mars
10-21-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm with you here greyghost. It's what I love about the Seasons - finding just the right song for the theme. Sometimes I think of a song I have loved over the years but have never learned to play (like the ones I learned for Motown week). Sometimes I pick a song I have never even heard before (like the kd lang song I did last week - I just happened upon it on YT while searching for a drinking song and learned it in a day). Really, most of the time I learn the song just for the Season.
Whatever you do certainly works -- there are a few songs you've done that stick with me. I still think of you every time I play "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" because I loved your version. I loved the k.d. lang one, too.

The idea for this theme really did start out with songs I've been meaning to learn but hadn't gotten around to, and it kind of evolved. If that works for you, great. If you want something more specific, let me know or put the word out here! There are a lot of songs (or types of songs) I would love to hear in that inimitable Myrna style!

ukuLily Mars
10-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Here is another I have been wanting to learn and play
Great job! Did you do the arrangement yourself? It's very nice. I enjoyed this a lot. Second entry! Yay!

Playlist is updated through glass. I think it's time for me to call it a night, so I will catch up with you all tomorrow!

lelouden
10-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Seems that everything Im doing here is new to me! Even if Im familiar with the song. Im trying to break my strum habits so I've done this song with the simple index finger strum. Can you believe thats not my usual way of playing. So many of you use the best ways to strum or pick a song but I find myself always going back to my old standard. Thanks Lily for giving me a week to try and break that habit. This is proving to be just what I needed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgpectJPrBE&feature=youtu.be

TCK
10-21-2013, 03:28 PM
I can sleep when I die! Would have been here last night but an exceptionally tired co-conspirator was not feeling it and well, the bourbon got the better of me.
For now, this is a James Hunnicutt song that he does on hell of a lot better than I do, but I did finally get around to typing out the words and figuring out the chords, so there is that. Might even practice it at some point ;) See y'all tomorrow with another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUYDsN0ITiU&feature=youtu.be

10-21-2013, 04:52 PM
You do eventing? You're a brave women. I do the jumpers, where the fences fall DOWN if you hit them. Never worked up the courage for eventing!
no that was just a lame joke in response to what lily said about maybe i'm a member of the royal family and that's why i have to post in stealth mode!

i was channeling princess anne

decaturcomp
10-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Okay, YT is taking forEVAR to process my video (Perhaps it's just grown a conscience and is rebelling against my lack of discernable content -- well, vacuum be damned, I'm going to post the link since it's almost midnight and hope it processes....sometime)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCKzF1vCG_0

One DID go through that isn't exactly kosher for this season so I stuck it in misfits.

Rustyy
10-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Well Hi Lily, I have backed up for my second season. Every song for me is a work in progress , however, after doing a few songs last week, all in the key of C, I decided I needed to challenge myself away from that area, and that I needed to include an E chord. Very daring, I know. Fat uncontrollable fingers make this a difficult task.
I decided on a Tom Waits song that I have liked for years, in fact, since The Heart of Saturday Night was released. Please excuse the rush to some of the chords and the misplaced fingers in others.

http://youtu.be/IC20lfJMVoQ

TCK
10-21-2013, 08:27 PM
OK- I am a half hour early, but I figure you will forgive me. Not posting Sunday was hard on me.
See, I made a pact with myself and the devil about a year and a half ago to learn a new song every day. I have damn near done it (I may have missed like 20 days all together). I posted the first two all that time ago, realized no one was watching them, and then the seasons popped up. They still sit and gather dust for the most part, but the purpose is there. One song every day.
Here is one I have not yet been given the impetus to learn, so I learned it.
Then I played it for you.
Elvis Costello for Tuesday.
When I am not bothering you all, I am a radio personality...you may have noted that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVZ1_eh1hM0&feature=youtu.be
Silver lining- I ain't going to bug you Tuesday. I will be back Wednesday for certain though.
UGH- at this point it is not early at all, I need to sleep!

pabrizzer
10-21-2013, 11:16 PM
I'm pretty sure this is more what you expected Lily. Very raw as Charlotte had never heard of the song until this afternoon. Unbelievable I know. So a few runs through and then a first take video complete with the few phrases she hasn't quite got the melody of yet. I do look a bit simple minded in this vid as I really am mentally urging her through the song. To even things up I added a melody line on the harmonica which I have been fiddling with about as long as Charlie has been learning the uke. One and a half takes for the harmonica as I blew the end bit and just re did that.
Edelweiss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9V-ulqqceI

UkeCan1
10-22-2013, 12:55 AM
I'm pretty sure this is more what you expected Lily. Very raw as Charlotte had never heard of the song until this afternoon. Unbelievable I know. So a few runs through and then a first take video complete with the few phrases she hasn't quite got the melody of yet. I do look a bit simple minded in this vid as I really am mentally urging her through the song. To even things up I added a melody line on the harmonica which I have been fiddling with about as long as Charlie has been learning the uke. One and a half takes for the harmonica as I blew the end bit and just re did that.
Edelweiss.

So sweet! Uke Can 2! graciously removes the Adorable Uke Duo tiara and places it firmly on the heads of Charlie and her Pa. (At least until FiL corrects my math again.) I hope we will be seeing more of Charlotte soon. Really wonderful playing and singing, and kudos for learning a new song so quickly! I always love hearing Aussie accents ... hearing "Edelweiss" sung in them is a special treat.

Charmed,
Wendy of Uke Can 2!

UkeCan1
10-22-2013, 01:00 AM
Okay, this is really a total non-sequitur, and no disrespect in the slightest intended to the lovely Charlotte and her beautiful duo with her dad pabrizzer.

But one of my all-time favorite things to do in a song circle is to get a roomful of adults singing "Edelweiss" in an Elmer Fudd voice.

It is more chock full of L's and R's than any other song I know.

"Bwess my homewand foweveh", "bwossom of snow may you bwoom and gwow", "evewy mawning you gweet me", and so forth.

Try it!

- Wendy

PS, I can't believe I just posted that.....

glass
10-22-2013, 02:36 AM
Great job! Did you do the arrangement yourself? It's very nice. I enjoyed this a lot. Second entry! Yay!

Playlist is updated through glass. I think it's time for me to call it a night, so I will catch up with you all tomorrow!

No I found it on ukulele something. I searched grow old with me ukulele chords.

decaturcomp
10-22-2013, 02:53 AM
Okay Lilykins....
This isn't a clear case so I'll ask you to forget everything about the rules here and give me (us) a special ruling, please.
1) Dave provided the source material here but doesn't know, yet, how I've garbled his perfectly lovely entry of yesternight.
B) I don't know if it should be an entry at all or just relegated to the trash heap of history
1.3) For my part... I heard about the first 20-30 seconds and decided to rewind, record, and play along with a song I'd never heard but that I knew was going to be terrific, because..TCK
D) I just plunked along for fun, so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYkE8Pv1B4o

bonesigh
10-22-2013, 02:55 AM
Awe, thank you Lily (: I'm only just getting around to catching up on the posts for this season. I've been busy working on a song for some chick from Mars (:
Hmmm, now what could I do a tutorial of?????

You people are awesome. I can't wait to see what you all do this week.

I was watching bonesigh's wonderful "Whiskey in the Jar" tutorial from Season 87 (I know, you wouldn't think we would need a tutorial for that, but she did a really beautiful job), and it occurs to me that some Seasonistas have done wonderful tutorials in the past. Since this week is about growing, we should include teaching, too, don't you agree? Finding a way to share a song so someone else can learn it is challenging in itself. So if you want to do a tutorial of a song you know, that will be okay. Maybe a newcome will decide to use the tutorial for their entry!

decaturcomp
10-22-2013, 03:28 AM
Tutorials, eh?
Well, don't click on this unless you have 10 minutes of your life to waste.
You've been warned.
This was an intro to a workshop I was about to lead.
It's about the way I mess around with chords when I play and deconstruct them or just plain mangle them.
One more note, there are at least two times when I refer to a chord by the wrong name (a G on uke is a D on guitar and a D on Uke is an A on guitar and that lead to my confusion, sorry.)
Anyway, if you want to try something different with your playing, this might be something to consider. But, if you get bored in the first few minutes I'll warn you that it doesn't get any better so feel free to bail out while you still have a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzlycwE0KcE

UkeyDave
10-22-2013, 06:03 AM
(UkeyDave? Can you hear me? pabrizzer?)
Oh yes indeed I can Lily. Unfortunately I'm on 12.5 hour night shifts with work at the moment so can't come out to play (boo hoo). I hope to be back in the loop by Thursday though. Great season.

lelouden
10-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Edelweiss.

I have to say Papa, this is the first time I've cried watching you. This is so special. You are beaming with love and joy for Char in this video. I really love this soft side of you. I loved that you took your serious hat off and just let us in your heart to see who you really are. Through the tears, huge smiles of joy over here from me!

Ukeval
10-22-2013, 06:20 AM
Hello, this is my entry. A renaissance song I learned for the first time this morning (I already knew the instrumental part, but singing it is new to me)

http://youtu.be/xX_ffc7mWF0

ukuLily Mars
10-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Hallooo, Seasonistas! Sorry I haven't been around today but I'm back and I'm updating the playlist as we speak. Right now it's updated to TCK's first entry and I'm moving things along so we will be caught up soon.

Seems that everything Im doing here is new to me! Even if Im familiar with the song. Im trying to break my strum habits so I've done this song with the simple index finger strum. Can you believe thats not my usual way of playing. So many of you use the best ways to strum or pick a song but I find myself always going back to my old standard. Thanks Lily for giving me a week to try and break that habit. This is proving to be just what I needed.
This is just beautiful, Linda. I love your videos and you really do not sound as if any of this is new to you. You sound like you ran away from the Carter family to join the circus (the circus being, y'know, us). You did a great job with the strum. Glad you got a chance to practice something a little different!

I can sleep when I die! Would have been here last night but an exceptionally tired co-conspirator was not feeling it and well, the bourbon got the better of me.
For now, this is a James Hunnicutt song that he does on hell of a lot better than I do, but I did finally get around to typing out the words and figuring out the chords, so there is that. Might even practice it at some point ;) See y'all tomorrow with another.
Glad to see you! This was terrific, but then it's always fun to hang out with you. Glad you survived Season 87.

Okay, I'll finish updating the playlist now!

lelouden
10-22-2013, 07:02 AM
Tutorials, eh?
You've been warned.
It's about the way I mess around with chords when I play and deconstruct them or just plain mangle them.
One more note, there are at least two times when I refer to a chord by the wrong name (a G on uke is a D on guitar and a D on Uke is an A on guitar and that lead to my confusion, sorry.)
Anyway, if you want to try something different with your playing, this might be something to consider. But, if you get bored in the first few minutes I'll warn you that it doesn't get any better so feel free to bail out while you still have a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzlycwE0KcE

Much appreciation from all us Newbies! Thanks for sharing:)

lelouden
10-22-2013, 07:08 AM
This is just beautiful, Linda. I love your videos and you really do not sound as if any of this is new to you. You sound like you ran away from the Carter family to join the circus (the circus being, y'know, us). You did a great job with the strum. Glad you got a chance to practice something a little different!

Thanks Lily for the nice compliment and I'd just like to add that humor is one of the most inviting things about the seasons! I love these people:)

ukuLily Mars
10-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Okay, YT is taking forEVAR to process my video (Perhaps it's just grown a conscience and is rebelling against my lack of discernable content -- well, vacuum be damned, I'm going to post the link since it's almost midnight and hope it processes....sometime)

One DID go through that isn't exactly kosher for this season so I stuck it in misfits.
This was wonderful, as always. A great song for you. I will have to check out the Misfits thread to see what wasn't kosher.

Well Hi Lily, I have backed up for my second season. Every song for me is a work in progress , however, after doing a few songs last week, all in the key of C, I decided I needed to challenge myself away from that area, and that I needed to include an E chord. Very daring, I know. Fat uncontrollable fingers make this a difficult task.
I decided on a Tom Waits song that I have liked for years, in fact, since The Heart of Saturday Night was released. Please excuse the rush to some of the chords and the misplaced fingers in others.
Nothing to excuse, Rusty! With all of us doing something new there are going to be a few misplaced fingers, but for what it's worth I didn't notice yours. Some complex chords here, and you did a great job with this song. Congratulations!

OK- I am a half hour early, but I figure you will forgive me. Not posting Sunday was hard on me.
See, I made a pact with myself and the devil about a year and a half ago to learn a new song every day. I have damn near done it (I may have missed like 20 days all together). I posted the first two all that time ago, realized no one was watching them, and then the seasons popped up. They still sit and gather dust for the most part, but the purpose is there. One song every day.
Here is one I have not yet been given the impetus to learn, so I learned it.
Then I played it for you.
Elvis Costello for Tuesday.
When I am not bothering you all, I am a radio personality...you may have noted that.

Silver lining- I ain't going to bug you Tuesday. I will be back Wednesday for certain though.
UGH- at this point it is not early at all, I need to sleep!
Don't worry so much about the timing. We'll blame it on the time zone thingy. As long as it works out to an average of one song per day, it'll be fine. As for the song, I loved it, and your performance. This is a very TCK song and it begs for a sing-along.

Edelweiss.
If by "simple minded" you mean "proud grandpa having fun with his granddaughter, whom he loves to pieces," then yeah. Otherwise no. This is one of my favorite videos ever, and I wouldn't call it "raw." Informal, maybe. But she did a great job with a difficult song that she didn't know, you both played beautifully, the harmonica really added to it, and the two of you singing together brought it home perfectly. I have a feeling if I were to do a popular-vote prize this would win it. Please tell Charlotte we loved it!

Okay Lilykins....
This isn't a clear case so I'll ask you to forget everything about the rules here and give me (us) a special ruling, please.
1) Dave provided the source material here but doesn't know, yet, how I've garbled his perfectly lovely entry of yesternight.
B) I don't know if it should be an entry at all or just relegated to the trash heap of history
1.3) For my part... I heard about the first 20-30 seconds and decided to rewind, record, and play along with a song I'd never heard but that I knew was going to be terrific, because..TCK
D) I just plunked along for fun, so...
First of all, I thought it was wonderful. Two of my favorite people playing together was just delicious. You two really complement each other nicely.

My original thought (which I posted on YT) was that I would add this to the playlist but not count it as an official entry, because half of it had already been entered (by Dave) and I knew you had another entry posted for the day right after this one. But then I watched the tutorial and saw that it is not a new video, so it can't be an official entry, so here's what I decided: this one will count for you, because your half has not been entered already, and I'll tell you what I am going to do with the tutorial in a minute.

Tutorials, eh?
You've been warned.
I really enjoyed this! Okay, I'm not quite finished with it because I wanted to catch up on the playlist so you all would not be left hanging, but I watched the first four minutes and I will watch the rest after I do this.

I think I will start a tutorial playlist, for a couple reasons. One, they are very useful for people who want them, and I would like to make them easy to find for those people. And two, they are not at all useful for people who do not want them, and they take up a good deal of time, so I will keep them out of the main playlist. Is this okay with everyone? I know there will be at least one more tutorial, and even more would be great. These will count as entries as long as they fit the other criteria (new video, one per day, etc.).

If anyone has another suggestion regarding tutorials let me know.

Oops, I lost ukeval. Let me go get him.

xommen
10-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Here is my tuesday entry that I recorded I want to introduce you guys to this band called the Choir. They released a new album this year, which is also great, but this is on of their older songs, I hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egSl6fAnc0E

ukuLily Mars
10-22-2013, 07:57 AM
I found him:

Hello, this is my entry. A renaissance song I learned for the first time this morning (I already knew the instrumental part, but singing it is new to me)
I loved this! Your playing is always beautiful, and on this song it is just lovely. You did a very nice job with the singing as well.

ukuLily Mars
10-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Playlist is updated through xommen. I'll catch up with comments and start the tutorial playlist after dinner. Thanks to all of you for challenging yourselves this week! Y'know, while I sit here and watch.

pabrizzer
10-22-2013, 08:02 AM
So sweet! Uke Can 2! graciously removes the Adorable Uke Duo tiara and places it firmly on the heads of Charlie and her Pa. (At least until FiL corrects my math again.) I hope we will be seeing more of Charlotte soon. Really wonderful playing and singing, and kudos for learning a new song so quickly! I always love hearing Aussie accents ... hearing "Edelweiss" sung in them is a special treat.

Charmed,
Wendy of Uke Can 2!

I have to say Papa, this is the first time I've cried watching you. This is so special. You are beaming with love and joy for Char in this video. I really love this soft side of you. I loved that you took your serious hat off and just let us in your heart to see who you really are. Through the tears, huge smiles of joy over here from me!

Thank you so much Wendy and Linda.

Of course all of the vids done with Charlie are new songs for her.
It's great that my grand kids all live within half an hour's drive. I pick Cha up on Tuesday afternoons on my way home from work. She socializes with rest of the family - yesterday her cousin Jaxson (22 months old) was over. We then spend between half an hour to an hour playing uke and working on the week's song and that includes recording the vid if we do that.
She has been posting under her own user name and I get her to do all the typing and computer work when she does. Time was an issue this week and she likes entertaining Jax so I just posted under my UU identity.
I had intended to get her to respond to all (19) youtube comments from last weeks vid (she usually does) but we had our evening meal early and so I did that on her behalf this week.
She spends more time with Ma, her aunt and her great aunt and I usually drive her home about 8:00 pm.

It's a full on afternoon for both of us.
Pa finds it very special but also tiring and always enjoys a drink and relax when he gets back from dropping her home.

I hope to get another new for me David Wax Museum song When You Are Still done Wednesday evening.

erivel
10-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Here's another one for you, a favorite of mine that I always wanted to learn on uke. Cave on harmony. Enjoy! :)

http://youtu.be/HJTdVrmrKQk

elmann
10-22-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm with you here greyghost. It's what I love about the Seasons - finding just the right song for the theme. ...Really, most of the time I learn the song just for the Season.
Here's another full agreement. Seasons are great for new songs!

elmann
10-22-2013, 08:52 AM
erivel > I was made for loving you
Wow. This has to be the original, or am I wrong?

decaturcomp
10-22-2013, 08:53 AM
This IS PERFECT!
What a duo!!!
Gang of Four song, soon Cave?
I request "Guns Before Butter".

Here's another one for you, a favorite of mine that I always wanted to learn on uke. Cave on harmony. Enjoy! :)

http://youtu.be/HJTdVrmrKQk

elmann
10-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Edelweiss>Very raw as Charlotte had never heard of the song until this afternoon. Unbelievable I know.
I never saw you so concentrated and ...yeah ... exhausted :)

FiL
10-22-2013, 09:18 AM
I think I still have a hangover from last week.

Wendy won't let me play sad songs in Uke Can 2!, so I have to do this one on my own. It's a cover of a song by a friend of mine, Gary O'Neill. I've heard him play it a couple of times, but not enough to get the melody or the lyrics 100% correct.

This was done in one take during my lunch hour. I'm playing an old baritone loaner that is literally falling apart. I don't have the baritone fingerings down yet, but I think I only messed up once or twice.

OK, enough disclaimers. I hate disclaimers!

http://youtu.be/U0MZb8iAaDE

- FiL

Cornfield
10-22-2013, 10:40 AM
http://youtu.be/AIvwf8A0tsU

This is the second take. I tried to do more but my work phone and cell phone kept beeping and buzzing.
I wanted to learn this song awhile back and got around to it for this week.

Tootler
10-22-2013, 10:45 AM
I said earlier that this week was an opportunity to dust off those songs that we'd been meaning to learn.

Well; this wasn't one of them.

I picked up a book off my bookshelf and opened it and this song was on the page I opened the book at. I looked at it and thought "Go for it". I spent a bit of time thinking about how to do the song and in the end decided keep it simple and just do a straight acoustic recording. About as far from the Moody Blues original as you can get. I did add a fair bit of reverb, though.

http://youtu.be/V6BYGIO4VfE

I nearly forgot to add. This was a one take job. Mind it was preceded by a very large number of practice tries and even so there were a few iffy moments.

bonesigh
10-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Here's a song I just learned on Sunday (: I made a tutorial for y'all in case someone else wants to give it a go. I did 3 takes and couldn't play it right so I just went with what I had. Some mess ups and a few words dropped or said wrong but oh well. Hope you have fun with it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZWZhwWuI3w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ukuLily Mars
10-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Here is my tuesday entry that I recorded I want to introduce you guys to this band called the Choir. They released a new album this year, which is also great, but this is on of their older songs, I hope you like it.
What a good song, Wim, and an excellent song choice for you. This is one of my favorites of yours. I think I say that every time, but I do feel you're getting better and better. Good work! See you tomorrow!

Now I want to learn it on uke, too! I loved this! I love watching you two (and listening to you two) play and sing together.

I think I still have a hangover from last week.

Wendy won't let me play sad songs in Uke Can 2!, so I have to do this one on my own. It's a cover of a song by a friend of mine, Gary O'Neill. I've heard him play it a couple of times, but not enough to get the melody or the lyrics 100% correct.

This was done in one take during my lunch hour. I'm playing an old baritone loaner that is literally falling apart. I don't have the baritone fingerings down yet, but I think I only messed up once or twice.

OK, enough disclaimers. I hate disclaimers!

- FiL
Actually, this week a few mistakes just give you credibility. I didn't actually notice any in yours, but I was too busy enjoying it so I wasn't looking. This was really nice. I love seeing you and Wendy perform together, but seeing you on your own (and maybe Wendy, too, at some point) is nice, too! This is one of my favorites of yours, too, not counting the videos with your cat.

This is the second take. I tried to do more but my work phone and cell phone kept beeping and buzzing.
I wanted to learn this song awhile back and got around to it for this week.
Somehow the story about the phones makes the song more meaningful, don't you think? Anyway, to answer your question, YES! Having lots of fun, and with videos like this one, who wouldn't? I loved it. Very old-time ukey, which I love anyway, but you played beautifully and your singing was perfect. Lots of FUN.

I said earlier that this week was an opportunity to dust off those songs that we'd been meaning to learn.

Well; this wasn't one of them.

I picked up a book off my bookshelf and opened it and this song was on the page I opened the book at. I looked at it and thought "Go for it". I spent a bit of time thinking about how to do the song and in the end decided keep it simple and just do a straight acoustic recording. About as far from the Moody Blues original as you can get. I did add a fair bit of reverb, though.

I nearly forgot to add. This was a one take job. Mind it was preceded by a very large number of practice tries and even so there were a few iffy moments.
Too funny! It was serendipity, then. This was really wonderful. I was curious what you would do since I always imagine you know All The Music. This was lovely. (Also: refer to comment above, regarding a few mistakes. Just proves you followed the rules.)

ksiegel
10-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Okay, songs we've never done before on a ukulele.

Heck, I never even played this on a guitar, to the best of my knowledge.

The only time I every played it was in High School, in the deep dark distant past (early 70s, if you're keeping score), when I was waiting for a friend at her house. They had a baby grand in the family room, and I couldn't resist making noise (I don't play piano... I may occasionally play at it, but that is as far as I can get.) So I played a couple of notes. Then a chord - I know how to form a C chord, so that was what it was. Followed by an F, then a G, then back again...

Then I started playing the melody, then started to sing along with it...

Then Mary came into the room, and said "What are you doing?"... and I never played it again, until now.

So here's some Cloverdale Kryptonite.

http://youtu.be/ZNYZIDZ7r_0

Note for all - this is shot on a new camera - a Tascam DR-V1HD - I still don't know how to manipulate the volume or brightness of the video, so please bear with me!

ukuLily Mars
10-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Oh yes indeed I can Lily. Unfortunately I'm on 12.5 hour night shifts with work at the moment so can't come out to play (boo hoo). I hope to be back in the loop by Thursday though. Great season.
Yikes! Well, we'll see you when you come up for air. Fortunately we don't need you to drive by TCK's house to make sure he's okay; we heard from him earlier.

ukuLily Mars
10-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Here's a song I just learned on Sunday (: I made a tutorial for y'all in case someone else wants to give it a go. I did 3 takes and couldn't play it right so I just went with what I had. Some mess ups and a few words dropped or said wrong but oh well. Hope you have fun with it!
Tutorials are hard, or so I would imagine. You have to think about a lot of different things, and not only do it but explain it at the same time. I didn't notice anything wrong but even if there were a few mistakes I think you can be forgiven.

A great song, and time to learn it before Hallowe'en! I love Dusty Springfield's version but haven't been able to play it in any way that makes it interesting. This will help a lot.

I put this in the Tutorial playlist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzlycwE0KcE&list=PLeeg21oFp5m32ihrKfKY5KOybWRXvmgcD)but it is an official entry.

Any newcomers out there who want to learn a new song, be sure to check this out. The strumming in particular is really fun.

Okay, songs we've never done before on a ukulele.

Heck, I never even played this on a guitar, to the best of my knowledge.

The only time I every played it was in High School, in the deep ark distant past (early 70s, if you're keeping score), when I was waiting for a friend at her house. They had a baby grand in the family room, and I couldn't resist making noise (I don't play piano... I may occasionally play at it, but that is as far as I can get.) So I played a couple of notes. Then a chord - I know how to form a C chord, so that was what it was. Followed by an F, then a G, then back again...

Then I started playing the melody, then started to sing along with it...

Then Mary came into the room, and said "What are you doing?"... and I never played it again, until now.

So here's some Cloverdale Kryptonite.

Note for all - this is shot on a new camera - a Tascam DR-V1HD - I still don't know how to manipulate the volume or brightness of the video, so please bear with me!
You don't know how to work your camera? That's going above and beyond, don't you think?

I knew where you were going when you called the video Dave's Kryptonite -- ha! I laughed, but I stopped as soon as you started playing. I tend to like the Eagles a lot more when others do their stuff, and this is no exception. In my opinion it far surpasses the original. Wait; that is less of a compliment than I intended. How about, I really liked it?

ukuLily Mars
10-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Just wanted to mention: for some reason, in spite of the theme, this week's videos are outrageously good. What this means, as far as I can tell, is that you are all awesome. It's the only explanation.

I'd love to see a couple more tutorials, if anyone is up for that, probably because I could stand to learn a lot! But I'm perfectly happy to keep watching the ones we have over and over.

Thank you all for rising to the challenge and trying something that may be a little uncomfortable, especially newcomers.

The playlist is updated through ksiegel, and I have added a playlist with tutorials. Enjoy! And, of course, please let me know if you are not on the playlist and should be.

greyghost
10-22-2013, 01:43 PM
OK, here's my second entry, and the first to feature my son, who usually treats my ukulele addiction like the disease it probably is. Yesterday, he told me that if I found the chords to Total Eclipse of the Heart, he'd sing it with me. I thought he was joking, but then I told him I'd found them, and today, on the way home from school he asked me, "After dinner, want to have some uke time?" And here we are. We really did just learn this, as per this week's rules, so be kind. We both had in mind full-on Jim Steinman-produced bombast, and we did the best we could to capture that level of melodrama with only our voices and a ukulele. It's rough in patches, with a couple of full stops, but I hope the fun comes through. Raise those lighters!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOBQnEDT8Hw

ukuLily Mars
10-22-2013, 02:20 PM
OK, here's my second entry, and the first to feature my son, who usually treats my ukulele addiction like the disease it probably is. Yesterday, he told me that if I found the chords to Total Eclipse of the Heart, he'd sing it with me. I thought he was joking, but then I told him I'd found them, and today, on the way home from school he asked me, "After dinner, want to have some uke time?" And here we are. We really did just learn this, as per this week's rules, so be kind. We both had in mind full-on Jim Steinman-produced bombast, and we did the best we could to capture that level of melodrama with only our voices and a ukulele. It's rough in patches, with a couple of full stops, but I hope the fun comes through. Raise those lighters!
When someone promises to be as dramatic as Bonnie Tyler, I expect them to deliver, and your son sure did! You were both great, and it was so much fun to see the two of you together. I'm delighted he joined us, and please tell him he is welcome here whenever he feels like stopping by. Oh, and your ukulele playing was nice, too! I hope the two of you have lots more after-dinner uke time.

TCK
10-22-2013, 03:26 PM
This is one of the finest things that has ever graced the pages of the Seasons. I have to admit of Bonnie Tyler borders on insane, but this made me smile so hard it hurt. Your Kid is fantastic- and "imagine serious bombast here"...Well, where can we possibly go from here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOBQnEDT8Hw

DWitt
10-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Okay, so here's one I had never tried. It called for some innovation in approach, and, hey, I had to learn a new chord!

I have three more that are 90% ready (just need to figure out where I want to put Cmaj7s and Csus9s in instead of Cs, and that sort of business) . . . but I'm leaving for a conference, and doubt I'll have a chance to record another this week.

So this is probably it! Hope you like it!

Oh, I almost forgot: This song is about the end of life as we know it. But it's very cheery. No reason not to look on the bright side of things, I suppose. I'll put the lyrics in below, for those seeking am/bemusement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qbEICgkF4s

If we can call them friends
We can call them on red telephones
And they won't pretend
That they're too busy or they're not alone

An' if we can call them friends then we can call
Holler at 'em down these hallowed halls
Just don't let the human factor fail to be a factor at all

Don't
Don't you worry
About the atmosphere
Or any sudden pressure change

'Cause I know
That it's starting
To get warm in here
And things are starting to get strange

And did you?
Did you see how
All our friends were there?
And they're drinkin' roses from the can

And how
How I wish
I, I had talked to them
And I wish they fit into the plan

And we were tired of being mild
We were so tired of being mild
And we were tired

I know we're gonna meet someday
In the crumbled financial institutions of this land
There will be tables and chairs
There'll be pony rides and dancing bears

There'll even be a band
'Cause listen after the fall
There'll be no more countries
No currencies at all

We're gonna live on our wits
Gonna throw away survival kits
Trade butterfly knives for Adderall
And that's not all

And there will be snacks, there will
And there will be snacks, there will be
There will be snacks

And we were tired of being mild
We were so tired of being mild
And we were tired

So don't you
Don't you worry
About the atmosphere

UkeCan1
10-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Wendy won't let me play sad songs in Uke Can 2!, so I have to do this one on my own.

http://youtu.be/U0MZb8iAaDE

Haha! I commented on the video when it came out, just seeing the post now.

You can play what you like on your own time, bandmate o' mine, I just won't be playing them with you. I spent 7 minutes watching this one ... just for you. You did a great job on it - best I've heard you do it ... and I was breaking out the razor blades by about minute 5. (The song - you were great!) Had to go out for a walk in the sunshine afterward to get back to my happy place.

And hey, didn't I pick out a sad song for us to do? (Sort of?) The things I do for you. Hope you appreciate. :-)

I'm so happy you found time to do one of your own this week. 7 minutes! You really have been missing those sad songs, I guess.

I'm gonna go make some happy music now. Join me if you wish.

- W

ukuLily Mars
10-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Okay, so here's one I had never tried. It called for some innovation in approach, and, hey, I had to learn a new chord!

I have three more that are 90% ready (just need to figure out where I want to put Cmaj7s and Csus9s in instead of Cs, and that sort of business) . . . but I'm leaving for a conference, and doubt I'll have a chance to record another this week.

So this is probably it! Hope you like it!

Oh, I almost forgot: This song is about the end of life as we know it. But it's very cheery. No reason not to look on the bright side of things, I suppose. I'll put the lyrics in below, for those seeking am/bemusement.
Hey, DWitt, nice job with that new chord! In the cheeriest apocalypse song ever! This was a really nice performance, in all seriousness. Sorry if you don't get a chance for another but this one is terrific. (And if you do, that's good, too!)

ukuLily Mars
10-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Playlist is updated through DWitt. Think I'm going to call it a night!

Rustyy
10-22-2013, 05:34 PM
OK here's a second entry.
I thought something a little more upbeat this time. I have only heard this song a few times out here in Oz but really liked it. I managed to do it in one take, sort of. It was the first complete take I got through without getting lost in the words.

http://youtu.be/j8MiKZC9NkA

TCK
10-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Good times...I have strep throat (which will not stop me) so I feel like crap, and funny thing, all I wanna do is play y'all a few songs because the idea of going back to season 87 and cleaning up...well, that means it is over right? The hell with it, I will drag it out for a while (just kidding).
In any event- I never looked at the chords for this, or really knew anything but the chorus, before I made this video. In fact, this is probably a testament to how well I read (sigh). It is a gift, however. Melissa and I will burst into the chorus whenever we realize we can't afford to do something, always have, and well, it is less often nowadays, but it still happens. So here is a video 20 years in the making, and made tonight, in one take...for a ridiculously special lady. I figure the video we made with the most views was one we had never practiced- might be on to somethin'
Melissa laughed until she had tears in her eyes...and sang along.
Mission accomplished.
Well, that and I played you Anne Murray. Yep- sit down. Anne Murray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q26HEvpmxJQ&feature=youtu.be

Hochapeafarm
10-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Hey, everyone! Lily, what a SUPER theme!!! Thank you so much for hosting this week!!! This song has been on my radar the past month (though it has been around for awhile) as my ukulele teacher, Danielle Ate The Sandwich (Danielle Anderson), does a beautiful uke cover of this here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcrV8zsJrM0&list=PLFF3921945F14FC9F&index=2). With Lily's theme, I felt brave enough to try to learn this song today; here is my entry -- a cover of Adele's "Someone Like You." I apologize in advance, but I didn't memorize it, and you'll see that I have to scroll on my iPad to read the lyrics -- sorry! Thanks, again, Lily, for hosting! :-)

P.S. I just want to add that after I watched this video of mine, I realized something pretty cool -- I am totally guilty of having an extreme tendency to watch my fretting hand (well, that's not the cool thing yet -- keep reading). Making a video for this week's theme showed me that I have gotten a bit better about this crutch of mine -- in this video, I didn't nearly look at my fretting hand as much as I typically do (cuz I had to read the lyrics!) -- so I have realized that I am more comfortable with knowing where my chords are...and that, my friends, feels GREAT! Thanks, Lily, for helping me realize this by having this wonderful theme! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk4aoIiy0MM

10-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Last edited by Hochapeafarm; Today at 06:58 AM. Reason: Had an epiphany! :-)
best.reason.for.editing.EVER

and just a BRILLIANT vid. absolutely loved it

xommen
10-22-2013, 08:48 PM
My wednesday entry is a Dutch song, as people challenged me to do one. I ended up writing one, translation is something for tomorrow as I have also made an English version with the sort of same lyrics. So here we go, I present you woorden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iZpfj4R4Qc

Hochapeafarm
10-22-2013, 09:20 PM
best.reason.for.editing.EVER

and just a BRILLIANT vid. absolutely loved it

You are so sweet, Bird's Eye (Lynda!) -- thank you!!! (Btw, keep an "eye" out on your PM box -- I will be writing to you very soon! :-) )

10-22-2013, 09:35 PM
keep an "eye" out
lol !

I will be writing to you very soon! :-)
yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

ksiegel
10-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Second entry into Season 88

I remember seeing the film "Lili" as a child. Released in 1953, the film was pretty surreal for a kid - there was a dream sequence where a puppet becomes human sized, and sweeps the protagonist off of her feet...

But there was a song she sang with the puppet, amazingly poignant, yet deceptive - not quite as simple as it seems, and the bouncy tune belies the resignation of the lyrics. Leslie Caron's portrayal of the title character would stay with me, overshadowing the incredible dancing I'd see her do in other films.

Without further adieu, I give you my train wreck of Hi Lili, Hi Lo. (And remember, it's a new camera!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=F1EyxWJ-MzA

pabrizzer
10-23-2013, 12:17 AM
Another David Wax Museum song especially learnt for this season.
When You Are Still (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIKeLSpkZek)
He does it E -I did it in D
Sorry I forgot to add a title before uploading to youtube but it was done for Season 88.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjswxfChwjA

wee_ginga_yin
10-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Watched logcabinlooms do a rant called "Do no harm"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1_H2Rfvg0I

Noticed there was a related video by Carrie Newcomer also called "Do no harm" and after listening to I decided that would be the song for season #88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klF1pPv-KCw

To find such a lovely song is a beautiful bit of serendipity. I only wish I could have done it justice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCGPbT1ns2k

Tootler
10-23-2013, 12:38 AM
Here's my second for this season:

This one was a "meaning to learn" that I've taken out of my [computer] folder and "dusted off". I took it to my uke group yesterday, where it went down well. I did it in D for them but have sung it here in G.

http://youtu.be/3FzA4gGJ8EI

First take again. Better not get too smug or I'll have a disaster on the next one. :(

Cornfield
10-23-2013, 01:39 AM
Sorry I forgot to add a title before uploading to youtube but it was done for Season 88.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjswxfChwjA

I found out that you can add titles in YouTube. It's easier than working with photoshop.

Dougf
10-23-2013, 06:06 AM
I considered learning this song for season 87, since it has a few alcoholic drink metaphors, but I went with "Lush Life" instead, so season 88 seemed like the perfect opportunity to take a stab at it. Thanks, Lily.

Looking back on my season videos, with the exception of my originals and a couple of others, I didn't know most of these songs, at least in the sense that I didn't know how to play and sing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDdkyFyTo6I

ukuLily Mars
10-23-2013, 06:17 AM
OK here's a second entry.
I thought something a little more upbeat this time. I have only heard this song a few times out here in Oz but really liked it. I managed to do it in one take, sort of. It was the first complete take I got through without getting lost in the words.
I can see where getting lost in the words is a danger here! You did a wonderful job, though, Rusty. Very well played and sung.

Good times...I have strep throat (which will not stop me) so I feel like crap, and funny thing, all I wanna do is play y'all a few songs because the idea of going back to season 87 and cleaning up...well, that means it is over right? The hell with it, I will drag it out for a while (just kidding).
In any event- I never looked at the chords for this, or really knew anything but the chorus, before I made this video. In fact, this is probably a testament to how well I read (sigh). It is a gift, however. Melissa and I will burst into the chorus whenever we realize we can't afford to do something, always have, and well, it is less often nowadays, but it still happens. So here is a video 20 years in the making, and made tonight, in one take...for a ridiculously special lady. I figure the video we made with the most views was one we had never practiced- might be on to somethin'
Melissa laughed until she had tears in her eyes...and sang along.
Mission accomplished.
Well, that and I played you Anne Murray. Yep- sit down. Anne Murray.
I'm a little concerned about the strep throat. I understand your desire to join in here but I will not be able to live with myself if you hurt yourself.

I loved this. Your voice really suits the song (I've never been crazy about Kenny Loggins's voice, possibly because of a traumatic experience involving Footloose, which I may or may not share later, but I think Anne Murray has a gorgeous voice) and I wish I sounded half as good as you even healthy. By the way, when my parents (mother and stepfather) were dating, they loved Anne Murray, and they dragged me and my now-stepsister to see her in concert. There was a lot of eye-rolling involved, because Anne Murray was not cool (this was the You Needed Me era). Anyway, she was wonderful and, to our shock, extremely funny.

Don't understand the lyrics, though: "Even though we ain't got bunnies/I'm so in love with your money." Seems odd.

Hey, everyone! Lily, what a SUPER theme!!! Thank you so much for hosting this week!!! This song has been on my radar the past month (though it has been around for awhile) as my ukulele teacher, Danielle Ate The Sandwich (Danielle Andersin), does a beautiful uke cover of this here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcrV8zsJrM0&list=PLFF3921945F14FC9F&index=2). With Lily's theme, I felt brave enough to try to learn this song today; here is my entry -- a cover of Adele's "Someone Like You." I apologize in advance, but I didn't memorize it, and you'll see that I have to scroll on my iPad to read the lyrics -- sorry! Thanks, again, Lily, for hosting! :-)

P.S. I just want to add that after I watched this video of mine, I realized something pretty cool -- I am totally guilty of having an extreme tendency to watch my fretting hand (well, that's not the cool thing yet -- keep reading). Making a video for this week's theme showed me that I have gotten a bit better about this crutch of mine -- in this video, I didn't nearly look at my fretting hand as much as I typically do (cuz I had to read the lyrics!) -- so I have realized that I am more comfortable with knowing where my chords are...and that, my friends, feels GREAT! Thanks, Lily, for helping me realize this by having this wonderful theme! :-)
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing that! I think this was your best video yet, even better than Xanadu. It felt like you were just hanging out with your 'uke friends, and there was no camera. Just beautiful. Love that Martin, by the way! I hope you have finally found the 'uke that's comfortable for you to play.

My wednesday entry is a Dutch song, as people challenged me to do one. I ended up writing one, translation is something for tomorrow as I have also made an English version with the sort of same lyrics. So here we go, I present you woorden:
Very nice! I'm looking forward to hearing the English version tomorrow! I'm enjoying your daily entries and I hope the challenge is fun for you.

Second entry into Season 88

I remember seeing the film "Lili" as a child. Released in 1953, the film was pretty surreal for a kid - there was a dream sequence where a puppet becomes human sized, and sweeps the protagonist off of her feet...

But there was a song she sang with the puppet, amazingly poignant, yet deceptive - not quite as simple as it seems, and the bouncy tune belies the resignation of the lyrics. Leslie Caron's portrayal of the title character would stay with me, overshadowing the incredible dancing I'd see her do in other films.

Without further adieu, I give you my train wreck of Hi Lili, Hi Lo. (And remember, it's a new camera!)
Thank you! I loved this! This is a cute little song, certainly fun, but your version has a complexity in the accompaniment that is really engaging. It is so pretty with the simple vocal line. Beautiful performance of both. Thank you so much!

No worries about the title. I believe you. Loved the song, and your performance was wonderful. I know I say it all the time, but you make every song you do your own.

Watched logcabinlooms do a rant called "Do no harm"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1_H2Rfvg0I

Noticed there was a related video by Carrie Newcomer also called "Do no harm" and after listening to I decided that would be the song for season #88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klF1pPv-KCw

To find such a lovely song is a beautiful bit of serendipity. I only wish I could have done it justice
Oh, you did it justice. I thought it was beautiful. I don't know the original and I won't look at it just yet (I'll enjoy your version for a while first) but thanks for the links.

Here's my second for this season:

This one was a "meaning to learn" that I've taken out of my [computer] folder and "dusted off". I took it to my uke group yesterday, where it went down well. I did it in D for them but have sung it here in G.

First take again. Better not get too smug or I'll have a disaster on the next one. :(
This was really fun, Geoff! You looked like you enjoyed it, too, so I figured you wouldn't mind if I sang along (I'm pretty sure only dogs could hear me). This week is a great excuse for dusting off the "meaning to learn" songs. I think you did a great job with this and I wouldn't worry about any impending disasters.

ukuLily Mars
10-23-2013, 06:27 AM
I considered learning this song for season 87, since it has a few alcoholic drink metaphors, but I went with "Lush Life" instead, so season 88 seemed like the perfect opportunity to take a stab at it. Thanks, Lily.

Looking back on my season videos, with the exception of my originals and a couple of others, I didn't know most of these songs, at least in the sense that I didn't know how to play and sing them.
I got so excited when I saw you did this song I almost forgot to add it to the playlist. This is one of my favorites! I had the solo for this song in my college singing group, and there was an incident involving my group and the Stanford Fleet Street Singers on a cable car in San Francisco with all of us singing this, and I won't go into the details now, but you'll all be relieved to know I did not fall off the cable car.

I wanted to do this song last week, too (ha! if by "a few alcoholic metaphors" you mean it "consists almost entirely of alcoholic metaphors") but it was Just Too Hard. I'm delighted you did it, because this is just a lovely version of a beautiful song. Yeah, it's a lot of booze, but the lyrics are really well-crafted and poetic. What a lovely job you did with it, Doug! Thanks very much.

ukuLily Mars
10-23-2013, 06:51 AM
Playlist is updated through Dougf's video.

Shady Wilbury
10-23-2013, 07:50 AM
I've not had much chance to keep up with things here, but just to let you know, I will be joining the party soon. Today's not been that brilliant, to be honest.

Take care,

Casey

ukuLily Mars
10-23-2013, 08:11 AM
I've not had much chance to keep up with things here, but just to let you know, I will be joining the party soon. Today's not been that brilliant, to be honest.

Take care,

Casey
You're already at the party , you're just not playing yet. We'll enjoy seeing you play whenever you get around to it. In the meantime, sending you some good thoughts and hoping your day gets better!

ukuLily Mars
10-23-2013, 08:17 AM
You know what I was just thinking? We hardly ever get anything by the Go-Go's in the Seasons.

frisbee fred
10-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Audrey is up from college for two days so we HAD to do a song together. Clearly, we did not rehearse this hardly at all - in keeping with the spirit of this Season :)
I think I may have forgotten to say this was for Season 88 :uhoh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsIU22FM064&feature=youtu.be

ukuLily Mars
10-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Audrey is up from college for two days so we HAD to do a song together. Clearly, we did not rehearse this hardly at all - in keeping with the spirit of this Season :)
I think I may have forgotten to say this was for Season 88 :uhoh:
Did you forget? I didn't notice.

Hi Audrey! I always love when your kids stop by, Fred. And I loved this! I think you both did a wonderful job and it's just such a blast to see you two together.

You know what your family needs? An old school bus; then you can paint it all sorts of bright colors, maybe go on the road.

ukuLily Mars
10-23-2013, 08:40 AM
I put out a couple of requests to bonesigh because she asked for them. (One of the things I asked her to do was a tutorial; the others are pending. She'll probably get them posted as soon as she's finished sobbing into her box of wine.)

I mention this because, if you are having trouble coming up with something to do this week, or because the possibilities are too limitless to contemplate, you may ask me for a personal challenge and I will oblige. Mwahahahaha.

bonesigh is an extremely brave woman. Either that or she's getting an early start on Hallowe'en.

Tootler
10-23-2013, 08:49 AM
This was really fun, Geoff! You looked like you enjoyed it, too, so I figured you wouldn't mind if I sang along (I'm pretty sure only dogs could hear me). This week is a great excuse for dusting off the "meaning to learn" songs. I think you did a great job with this and I wouldn't worry about any impending disasters.

We had fun with it at the uke group. Just a few sang the verses, (it may even have been only me - hard to tell with a dozen ukes being vigorously strummed) then a few more joined in at the start of the chorus then almost everyone in for the last half of the chorus so you got a really nice build up. What was also nice was everyone spontaneously strummed less vigorously between the verses so the next verse started more gently. It made for a really good effect. One of our members has a really nice alto voice and I could clearly hear her coming in on "I'm Leaving on a jet plane" and it sounded really good. Sadly, I think we may be losing her for a while. Someone broke into her house and vandalised it so she's feeling very down at the moment.

ukuLily Mars
10-23-2013, 08:52 AM
One of our members has a really nice alto voice and I could clearly hear her coming in on "I'm Leaving on a jet plane" and it sounded really good. Sadly, I think we may be losing her for a while. Someone broke into her house and vandalised it so she's feeling very down at the moment.
Yikes! Sending her some good thoughts. What a horrible experience.

KoaDependent
10-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Damn you and your three-take limit rule. :)

I set myself one lunch break's worth of time to do it, including rehearsal, which also meant recording on my tablet's audio instead of hooking up the USB mic and taking a track though Mixcraft. I promised myself that, good or bad, I'd upload and share the best of the three takes. Thanks for the challenge.

It's not my (or anyone else's) best work, but it was fun to share.

I discovered also that I should have had a career in demolitions, because I completely destroyed that bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwRt8brvsos

I'm playing a uke I bought from Mattydee some time back. I thought it'd be fun to pick a song he'd recorded with it and try it on.

Also, I should probably mention that the muttonchop sideburns are not just a tragic fashion choice, they're for a play I'm currently performing in.

ukuLily Mars
10-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Damn you and your three-take limit rule. :)

I set myself one lunch break's worth of time to do it, including rehearsal, which also meant recording on my tablet's audio instead of hooking up the USB mic and taking a track though Mixcraft. I promised myself that, good or bad, I'd upload and share the best of the three takes. Thanks for the challenge.

It's not my (or anyone else's) best work, but it was fun to share.

I discovered also that I should have had a career in demolitions, because I completely destroyed that bridge.

I'm playing a uke I bought from Mattydee some time back. I thought it'd be fun to pick a song he'd recorded with it and try it on.
Ha! The three-take rule is for your own protection. You obviously didn't need more takes anyway. See? You can trust me!

I did love it. I should mention I'm writing a book set during the Depression so I'm loving these old songs and I'm coveting those old ukes you've got in your signature.

Which reminds me, I've got to get some work done. Playlist is updated through KoaDependent.

Dougf
10-23-2013, 10:24 AM
I got so excited when I saw you did this song I almost forgot to add it to the playlist. This is one of my favorites! I had the solo for this song in my college singing group, and there was an incident involving my group and the Stanford Fleet Street Singers on a cable car in San Francisco with all of us singing this, and I won't go into the details now, but you'll all be relieved to know I did not fall off the cable car.

I wanted to do this song last week, too (ha! if by "a few alcoholic metaphors" you mean it "consists almost entirely of alcoholic metaphors") but it was Just Too Hard. I'm delighted you did it, because this is just a lovely version of a beautiful song. Yeah, it's a lot of booze, but the lyrics are really well-crafted and poetic. What a lovely job you did with it, Doug! Thanks very much.

Thanks, Lily. Yes, it's a great song, and although I'm sure I've probably heard it before, it's not one that I was really familiar with. It was pretty challenging for me -- I counted 30 different chords, and although that's fewer than I used with "Lush Life" (46), it's quite a bit more than my usual season entries. I also found the vocals more difficult than "Lush Life".

So, what's the rest of your cable car story? :)

lelouden
10-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Still trying to break my strum pattern! Im trying the "UkeyDave" strum pattern. He has a happy little strum pattern...at least when he does it! Grab your Ukes friends this is a sing-a-long. Rock-a My Soul using F and C.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-ZFVrFNA4&feature=youtu.be

Mandalyn
10-23-2013, 11:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idNKh8yWASs
Started this song on my break yesterday. Newportlocal told me about it and shared the chords he uses for it. It is a sad song, but I enjoyed playing and learning it. Today I recorded it on my break. It's still rough around the edges, but today was the only day I could record this week.
This challenged me a lot with the vocals. I want to harmonize with the guy singing it, not sing lead. I would have changed the key, but I wanted to learn a song in Eb. I think this is the first song I have memorized in that key. :)

DWitt
10-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Okay, so I couldn't let this one rest, and worked it out today.

I found chords for this online, but I thought this stripped-down version called for a different arrangement. Some of the progressions are different, but mostly I just added in modified chords: e.g. Cmaj7, Csus9, F7, Fsus9, Gsus4. This uke is in linear Eb tuning though, so a "C" shape is really an Eb, and so on. I think it turned out well!

This is my third take . . . although the process of writing up my arrangement inevitably resulted in what amounted to a certain amount of practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78eKNZk8sn0

ukuLily Mars
10-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Still trying to break my strum pattern! Im trying the "UkeyDave" strum pattern. He has a happy little strum pattern...at least when he does it! Grab your Ukes friends this is a sing-a-long. Rock-a My Soul using F and C.
This was fun! I love the "UkeyDave Strum" and I want to learn it, too! Maybe UkeyDave will teach us how to do it if he has time this week. It is a happy little strum pattern. You did it beautifully! I played and sang along even if I couldn't get the strum right. I put this in the tutorials playlist but also in the main playlist, because the tutorial part doesn't take up much time.

Started this song on my break yesterday. Newportlocal told me about it and shared the chords he uses for it. It is a sad song, but I enjoyed playing and learning it. Today I recorded it on my break. It's still rough around the edges, but today was the only day I could record this week.
This challenged me a lot with the vocals. I want to harmonize with the guy singing it, not sing lead. I would have changed the key, but I wanted to learn a song in Eb. I think this is the first song I have memorized in that key. :)
Didn't seem too rough around the edges to me! I thought you played and sang it beautifully, and you have such a lovely voice. Wonderful job. I'm really impressed you learned it so well in one day, and you didn't even fall into the trap of singing harmony! Beautiful.

Okay, so I couldn't let this one rest, and worked it out today.

I found chords for this online, but I thought this stripped-down version called for a different arrangement. Some of the progressions are different, but mostly I just added in modified chords: e.g. Cmaj7, Csus9, F7, Fsus9, Gsus4. This uke is in linear Eb tuning though, so a "C" shape is really an Eb, and so on. I think it turned out well!

This is my third take . . . although the process of writing up my arrangement inevitably resulted in what amounted to a certain amount of practice.
I don't know what the arrangements you started with were like, but you've got great instincts because this arrangement was, in my opinion, just right. Sounded beautiful, both playing and singing. A lovely song and a great song for you. Glad you couldn't resist!

Playlist is updated through DWitt.

max2173
10-23-2013, 01:59 PM
I am absolutely useless at choosing songs for the Seasons even when we have a theme, so choosing when the selection covers all songs I don't know was impossible. So I didn't choose, my girlfriend did (who by the way is teaching herself the uke, I'll get her on here soon I hope!)

For some reason, this is the song she wanted. Who am I to argue?

I did one quick rehearsal, as I already knew the words to the song somewhat, then recorded this in one take. I wanted to do more to try to improve the vocals and harmonica, but it was quite a stretch for my vocal chords and I don't think they'd've taken another go.

http://youtu.be/pE6ol1MCliM

ukuLily Mars
10-23-2013, 02:19 PM
I am absolutely useless at choosing songs for the Seasons even when we have a theme, so choosing when the selection covers all songs I don't know was impossible. So I didn't choose, my girlfriend did (who by the way is teaching herself the uke, I'll get her on here soon I hope!)

For some reason, this is the song she wanted. Who am I to argue?

I did one quick rehearsal, as I already knew the words to the song somewhat, then recorded this in one take. I wanted to do more to try to improve the vocals and harmonica, but it was quite a stretch for my vocal chords and I don't think they'd've taken another go.
That was a good solution, asking the girlfriend! After this, I really hope you get her here soon! She sounds like fun. I can see where this was a stretch for you vocally, and I'm glad you didn't go crazy, but you did a fantastic job. One rehearsal and one take! Fantastic.

bonesigh
10-23-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm glad I ended up asking Lily for a challenge (: I ended up doing a song I never would have even thought of. We had a blast making this video! Oh and Lily, I'm not brave....I'm CRAZY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZypgMZmIJ4

I put out a couple of requests to bonesigh because she asked for them. (One of the things I asked her to do was a tutorial; the others are pending. She'll probably get them posted as soon as she's finished sobbing into her box of wine.)

I mention this because, if you are having trouble coming up with something to do this week, or because the possibilities are too limitless to contemplate, you may ask me for a personal challenge and I will oblige. Mwahahahaha.

bonesigh is an extremely brave woman. Either that or she's getting an early start on Hallowe'en.

UkeCan1
10-23-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm glad I ended up asking Lily for a challenge (: I ended up doing a song I never would have even thought of. We had a blast making this video! Oh and Lily, I'm not brave....I'm CRAZY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZypgMZmIJ4

Love this! We dance to this song every summer at camp. And you used a frog in the same spot we do. (Theirs dances, FiL - we gotta teach ours to do that.) :-)

Very curious to know what Lily's challenge was that led to this!

- Dancing Wendy

Jazzbanjorex
10-23-2013, 03:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZE84VMn2DY&feature=youtu.be

ukuLily Mars
10-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Words fail me. I need a minute.

Okay, I'm back. This may be the most awesome things ever. I'm still laughing. (Actually, though, there's no such thing as too silly. Just ask strumsilly or thesillydave. You got it just right.)

Love this! We dance to this song every summer at camp. And you used a frog in the same spot we do. (Theirs dances, FiL - we gotta teach ours to do that.) :-)

Very curious to know what Lily's challenge was that led to this!

- Dancing Wendy
I wouldn't have thought of using a frog, and yet now I see that it's the only way.

The challenge was: "Do Blame It on the Bossa Nova."

Why? I really, really love Eydie Gormé. I saw her perform the same summer I had dinner with the Four Tops, for those of you who read that story. Most of the staff at the theatre were, like myself, college students, and we thought Steve & Eydie would be kind of, y'know, hokey. We went to the show anyway, though, because sometimes we were surprised, and because it was free (for staff). Well, Eydie was unbelievable. What a voice! What presence! Oh, she was magnificent. (Steve, less so.) All the girls in the box office wanted to be Eydie (except for the married to Steve part -- not that there's anything wrong with that). I think Eydie would have loved Janet's interpretation.

As for why I suggested it for Janet in particular, well, I knew it needed a little something for the call-and-response chorus, and I thought she would come up with something completely unique. I was right, don't you agree?

UkeCan1
10-23-2013, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't have thought of using a frog, and yet now I see that it's the only way.

You did say you were missing the frog.

Ask and ye shall receive. This community is nothing if not accommodating.

Mandalyn
10-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Didn't seem too rough around the edges to me! I thought you played and sang it beautifully, and you have such a lovely voice. Wonderful job. I'm really impressed you learned it so well in one day, and you didn't even fall into the trap of singing harmony! Beautiful.

Playlist is updated through DWitt.
Thanks! :D
Now I need to catch up with the videos. :)

ukuleledaddy
10-23-2013, 03:22 PM
In honor of erivel's amazing KISS covers (:worship:) I offer this sloppy take of a hit off their Hotter Than Hell album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2h2sfHQWP8

ukuLily Mars
10-23-2013, 03:24 PM
For Jazzbanjorex (He didn't put any text in with his video, which is fine, but that's why I'm not quoting):
This was lovely! I was hypnotized watching you play. Really beautiful job. Thanks!

You did say you were missing the frog.

Ask and ye shall receive. This community is nothing if not accommodating.
Ha! True on every count.

Thanks! :D
Now I need to catch up with the videos. :)
Do that! The videos are awesome! And the playlist is updated!

ukuLily Mars
10-23-2013, 03:42 PM
In honor of erivel's amazing KISS covers (:worship:) I offer this sloppy take of a hit off their Hotter Than Hell album.
It was great! Nice job! Are you sure that was not more than three takes? 'Cause I didn't think it was sloppy.

Jazzbanjorex
10-23-2013, 04:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPnApDjLhC8&feature=youtu.be
I hope it's okay to post Monday's and Tuesday's videos on Wednesday and maybe Wednesday's on another day and we'll not discuss the rest of the week yet.

uke4ia
10-23-2013, 05:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJclvqJUsk8

After 37 years of playing, it's hard to keep track of every song I've ever tried at least once to play. But I know I never tried this one. This song came to mind while I was washing dishes tonight, and wondered why I didn't think of it for last week's Season. This is "The Slow Descent Into Alcoholism" by The New Pornographers.

decaturcomp
10-23-2013, 06:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJXeDuvVRoI

TCK
10-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Maybe so...I love this song (you knew that), and I love it more that you did it. Nice work my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJXeDuvVRoI

TCK
10-23-2013, 06:32 PM
While the wind is taking all our troubles away, Melissa came to me and said tonight (for the first time in months) "will you play a song with me?"
It is not that she has not wanted too, or that I have not been willing, just that our paths do not cross a whole lot in these months...and with dad leaving us and all, well- you get it.
Fortunately our protagonist had one at the ready. I love this band and everything they did...and I did not discover them until they had broken up. In fact, they had zero internet presence for years. There are now a few sites hosting their songs, but the chords- nada.
Fun to play with Mel, because we go through this daily...
Bellwether- I Thought You Were Dead, leanrt five minutes before we made the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMecKJN02ZQ&feature=youtu.be
Featuring my kick ass dog, William

myrnaukelele
10-23-2013, 07:06 PM
... so choosing when the selection covers all songs I don't know was impossible.

I'm with you here max. I am overwhelmed by possibilities. I am going down roads I never thought about gong down before, listening to dozens of songs, choosing and then discarding and then heading off in an entirely different direction. Swing? Country? Indie? The journey is so fun but I am getting nowhere. My indecisiveness will be my undoing if I don't get a song in for this Season. I promise I will find a song Lily. It's deciding which one to learn that is taking all my time this week.

mythinformed
10-23-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm with you here max. I am overwhelmed by possibilities. I am going down roads I never thought about gong down before, listening to dozens of songs, choosing and then discarding and then heading off in an entirely different direction. Swing? Country? Indie? The journey is so fun but I am getting nowhere. My indecisiveness will be my undoing if I don't get a song in for this Season. I promise I will find a song Lily. It's deciding which one to learn that is taking all my time this week.

I think its one of those Seasons where you just need to find a site like Scorpex , close your eyes and just blindly pick one and just go for it !! Lol

I love doing new and challenging stuff even when It sounds really bad where I haven't managed to pull it off because I learn from it and move on from there. I cringe at some of my youtube stuff but its the foundation of my learning and growth as a relatively new player.

The Season forum is my rehearsal/practice room and sounding board and you guys are my non judgemental audience !!

myrnaukelele
10-23-2013, 07:46 PM
I think its one of those Seasons where you just need to find a site like Scorpex , close your eyes and just blindly pick one and just go for it !! Lol

That's an excellent suggestion! Now I only have 1,177 songs to choose from as opposed to an infinite number. :)

mythinformed
10-23-2013, 07:51 PM
That's an excellent suggestion! Now I only have 1,177 songs to choose from as opposed to an infinite number. :)

Lol Ok Myrna, I'll pick one for you and mail you my choice hows that?

Btw Is it possible to close your eyes and randomly pick 1,177 songs with your finger? Lol

10-23-2013, 07:55 PM
a. lol!

and b. why don't you cut it down a bit more by narrowing it down to songs done by just one band, er i dunno, how about the go-go's. you know, we hardly ever get anything by the go-go's in the seasons. have you noticed that?

You know what I was just thinking? We hardly ever get anything by the Go-Go's in the Seasons.
OMG! wasn't i just SAYING that?!

;)

i'm taking your comment as an invite, lily...

so...

here we go (go)

"our lips are sealed"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzVTtO6ZL_4

KoaDependent
10-23-2013, 08:22 PM
I dunno. That sounded more like Fun Boy Three than the Go-Gos...

10-23-2013, 08:36 PM
I dunno. That sounded more like Fun Boy Three than the Go-Gos...
i cannot tell a lie, i love the fun boy three version a LOT, it's the version that plays in my head when i think of this song

erivel
10-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Hi Cave! Nice to meet you!

Wow, this was awesome. It was a blast to watch you two playing together. I was grinning the whole time. I'm willing to believe the chords are not all that difficult, and the lyrics are not highly complex, but still, it is not an easy song to play, and you two really made it look well-rehearsed. I'll take your word for it that it wasn't, but it was just awesome.

Playlist is updated through erivel and Cave.

Thanks Lily! I think this is his second season. We did run through it a couple of times the night before and it had a slower, Latin jazzy feel to it. We go to record it the next day and it turns out totally different...go figure!

erivel > I was made for loving you
Wow. This has to be the original, or am I wrong?

You are too kind!

This IS PERFECT!
What a duo!!!
Gang of Four song, soon Cave?
I request "Guns Before Butter".

Thanks Alan! I passed it on to him, then he looked at me blankly...

ksiegel
10-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Time for another Train Wreck!

I like the chord progression of the song, and I've always liked how Patti Smith did it, but it never occurred to me to try and play it.

Until this week, when I heard myself singing along with it on the radio.
So this is the third take, and only my 4th try at playing it. Too many words to fit on a reasonable number of pages, or at least too many for the music stand.

And then the melody slipped my mind, during the bridge...

Oh, well... the third entry: Because The Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V2AAq3kvdV0

UkeyDave
10-23-2013, 10:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-ZFVrFNA4&feature=youtu.be
wow Linda thank you for the over generous shout out. I'm gonna have to come up with something as a direct response to that. Now then let me get my thinking cap on. I may do another version of it incorporating a new for me fan stroke which I am just starting to learn. It may work well with that song. And I've never played that song before so it will fit the theme nicely too. Thanks for giving me the idea to try something new for myself too. Now then. Off to practice.

xommen
10-23-2013, 11:25 PM
So here it is, the translated version of my song, I was inspired by the fact that someone asked me to think about the impact words have.
It is a unfortunate that a song about words gets a little lost in translation, but I tried to keep the lyrics as close to the original as I could.
It is about the fact that speaking can hurt but also lift people up. How modern media like email and SMS sometimes cut out the emotion and therefore hurt someone. And that speaking the right words at the right time (or choosing not to) is the biggest challenge we all have in life, at least that is what I think. Lyrics and chords are available via youtube. As you might have noticed I am trying to use all my ukes this week, this one was a little out of tune, but I thought the video was to good to bin and start over.

http://youtu.be/0oYEFkRagx8

we tigers
10-23-2013, 11:27 PM
a couple of weeks ago, during and shortly after Ska-week, I listened to a lot of Skatalites records. One song really stood out for me and that was Starry Night. I tried to make a solo ukulele arrangement out of the song and here it is. yesterday I found out that the song is based on 'The Story of a Starry Night' by Glenn Miller and that he based his version on Tchaikovsky's Symphony no.6 'Pathétique'. So accidently I did another classical song. woohoo! Hope you like it!

http://youtu.be/W8kJi4WjDEU

wee_ginga_yin
10-24-2013, 12:44 AM
Watching an old Rainbow Quest video I was well pleased to see the expression of awe on the face of Donovan as he listened to Rev Gary Davis sing "Oh Glory how happy I am (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veEs3jfo9H4)" It was a rip roaring performance, and ever since seeing it I have loved that song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLOwq-TxvuA

UkeCan1
10-24-2013, 02:10 AM
Some day I'm going to host this as a Season of its own, but for anyone who's looking for a challenge this week, I found this thread from 2009 that deserves a revival and could spark some ideas for this Season:

"Is there any song that *can't* be covered on the uke?"
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?18634-Is-there-any-song-that-*can-t*-be-covered-on-the-uke

Of course, I'd expect most here would agree the answer is "no", right? So how creative can we be?

Have at it, y'all!

- Wendy

pabrizzer
10-24-2013, 02:51 AM
wee_ginga_yin's video set me to go and check out Reverend Gary Davis's work on YouTube.
He was a terrific performer. I saw one called Lord Stand by Me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYs8FcKU3bo) and created this little noodle inspired by that song - not the same melody certainly but my little variation if you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eyILIrQJQ8

bonesigh
10-24-2013, 03:06 AM
Just got caught up on all the videos for this weeks challenge and everyone, I mean EVERYONE is doing such an awesome job! I appreciate all the kind comments about my recent vid. It sure was fun to put together. I hadn't originally intended to do it puppet style but just for laughs I sped up the sound and then it came to me. I had to do puppets! Every time I try to layer songs and put in some drums or tamborine or harmony I can just never get it to sync up right. Something is always off ): Speeding this one up made it not matter that it wasn't perfect. Now it is perfect and one of the family favorites (: I imagine in years to come when I am long gone my great grandchildren will still get to know me.

Thanks again and UKE ON!

Words fail me. I need a minute.

Okay, I'm back. This may be the most awesome things ever. I'm still laughing. (Actually, though, there's no such thing as too silly. Just ask strumsilly or thesillydave. You got it just right.)

The challenge was: "Do Blame It on the Bossa Nova."

Why? I really, really love Eydie Gormé. I saw her perform the same summer I had dinner with the Four Tops, for those of you who read that story. Most of the staff at the theatre were, like myself, college students, and we thought Steve & Eydie would be kind of, y'know, hokey. We went to the show anyway, though, because sometimes we were surprised, and because it was free (for staff). Well, Eydie was unbelievable. What a voice! What presence! Oh, she was magnificent. (Steve, less so.) All the girls in the box office wanted to be Eydie (except for the married to Steve part -- not that there's anything wrong with that). I think Eydie would have loved Janet's interpretation.

As for why I suggested it for Janet in particular, well, I knew it needed a little something for the call-and-response chorus, and I thought she would come up with something completely unique. I was right, don't you agree?

UkeyDave
10-24-2013, 03:18 AM
Here is my entry number 2 (which of course will be my TUESDAY entry). Looks like me and Rex had exactly the same idea. Sorry about the idle git in the background ;-) Must fly, got Wednesdays to practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S49hagQUo3M

TCK
10-24-2013, 03:54 AM
Precisely what the seasons needed! Made my coffee this morning ten times better...a call to arms folks! Grab your ukes, I think we need to do them all now.
Super rad video Birdseye.

and b. why don't you cut it down a bit more by narrowing it down to songs done by just one band, er i dunno, how about the go-go's. you know, we hardly ever get anything by the go-go's in the seasons. have you noticed that?

here we go (go)

"our lips are sealed"

decaturcomp
10-24-2013, 04:08 AM
Okay, I'll admit that EVERYTHING BEVOMU brings knocks me out (Listen to her Go Gos cover this season...DAMN!)
But this is another thing altogether. Fun and funny and punk as ****.
Reminds me of Black Francis' vocal on Bone Machine when he says, "You're so pretty when you're unfaithful to me!.
Don't ask me why but.
damn!

so here it is...

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 04:25 AM
I hope it's okay to post Monday's and Tuesday's videos on Wednesday and maybe Wednesday's on another day and we'll not discuss the rest of the week yet.
That's fine. As long as it averages out to about one a day that's okay.

Loved this! I like this song a lot and your version was really fun.

After 37 years of playing, it's hard to keep track of every song I've ever tried at least once to play. But I know I never tried this one. This song came to mind while I was washing dishes tonight, and wondered why I didn't think of it for last week's Season. This is "The Slow Descent Into Alcoholism" by The New Pornographers.
I think it's very cool that the hard part for you was coming up with a song you hadn't played before! It's fun, too, that this one ties into Season 87 in an almost cautionary manner. I liked this a lot! Sounded great.

decaturcomp -- Windfall Prophet
This was just beautiful, Alan! You are always very good at selecting songs but this one really suits you.

While the wind is taking all our troubles away, Melissa came to me and said tonight (for the first time in months) "will you play a song with me?"
It is not that she has not wanted too, or that I have not been willing, just that our paths do not cross a whole lot in these months...and with dad leaving us and all, well- you get it.
Fortunately our protagonist had one at the ready. I love this band and everything they did...and I did not discover them until they had broken up. In fact, they had zero internet presence for years. There are now a few sites hosting their songs, but the chords- nada.
Fun to play with Mel, because we go through this daily...
Bellwether- I Thought You Were Dead, leanrt five minutes before we made the video.
Featuring my kick ass dog, William
I love sweet William! Very happy to see Melissa! You were good, too, Dave. This song had me laughing out loud, in a good way. Loved it.

decaturcomp
10-24-2013, 04:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djOVXjzEqxg

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 04:35 AM
Myrna, if you would like a Personal Challenge, I have a couple ideas for you! Just say the word! :music:

I love doing new and challenging stuff even when It sounds really bad where I haven't managed to pull it off because I learn from it and move on from there. I cringe at some of my youtube stuff but its the foundation of my learning and growth as a relatively new player.

The Season forum is my rehearsal/practice room and sounding board and you guys are my non judgemental audience !!
Choosing randomly can work, and I think a few people have done that this week. You certainly have the right approach to the Seasons and embracing the challenges every week! But your video this week was terrific anyway. Will we see another one? ;)

mythinformed
10-24-2013, 05:11 AM
Choosing randomly can work, and I think a few people have done that this week. You certainly have the right approach to the Seasons and embracing the challenges every week! But your video this week was terrific anyway. Will we see another one? ;)

I've just finished uploading this one, t'was done in a couple of takes while on a coffee break from decorating at home.
It does however include a dog bark(and a shake), some bum notes and me winging a chorus I hadn't heard before !! Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANdkErmpiHM

librainian
10-24-2013, 05:13 AM
So I checked with Lily before I submitted this. This is not something I am unfamiliar with. In fact I got a copy of the Ukulele Waltz tab back when I first started playing ukulele last fall. I noodled around with it but was obviously not nearly ready to take that on at that time so I set it aside. I recently ran across a youtube video from France with two gentlemen playing it duet style that sort of grabbed me. They added a minor key interlude that was really clever and not in the original tablature so I wanted to add that in as well.

So here is my attempt at this piece that I have never attempted to record before. The hitch to make it interesting and challenging for me was to do it blindfolded. As I state in the video I have a habit of looking at fretting hand all the time and it's a bad habit I am trying to work on so I thought I would try something challenging in a way that forced me to not look. It came off surprisingly well. I got lost a couple of times but the fact that it didn't derail the whole performance is huge for me.

The second challenge is that this is entirely instrumental with no singing. Not my usual milieu at all.

Third it involves some complicated finger picking. In fact all the songs I'm considering this week are going to require some sort of Travis style picking, which I am challenging myself to use. It's my goal to improve to the point that I can attempt some additional instrumental pieces in the near future.

I've have this video posted unlisted and will probably remove it a week or two after the contest is over.

So without further ado, I present to you Magic Ukulele Waltz with blindfold! If you make it through the whole vid - HATS OFF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMIEaULJEhg

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 05:16 AM
a. lol!

and b. why don't you cut it down a bit more by narrowing it down to songs done by just one band, er i dunno, how about the go-go's.

you know, we hardly ever get anything by the go-go's in the seasons. have you noticed that?

OMG! wasn't i just SAYING that?!

;)

i'm taking your comment as an invite, lily...

so...

here we go (go)

"our lips are sealed"
Yes!!! You picked my favorite, too! Although, as a member of the royal family, I suppose you know all about the subject matter.

Love it. Not just awesome, but TOTALLY awesome. I want to come to your house and jam with you. You'll need to have a word with your security detail.

Time for another Train Wreck!

I like the chord progression of the song, and I've always liked how Patti Smith did it, but it never occurred to me to try and play it.

Until this week, when I heard myself singing along with it on the radio.
So this is the third take, and only my 4th try at playing it. Too many words to fit on a reasonable number of pages, or at least too many for the music stand.

And then the melody slipped my mind, during the bridge...

Oh, well... the third entry: Because The Night.
No! Not a train wreck! Okay, not your most polished work, but you did a great job with the song, and that's the important thing. I loved it.

So here it is, the translated version of my song, I was inspired by the fact that someone asked me to think about the impact words have.
It is a unfortunate that a song about words gets a little lost in translation, but I tried to keep the lyrics as close to the original as I could.
It is about the fact that speaking can hurt but also lift people up. How modern media like email and SMS sometimes cut out the emotion and therefore hurt someone. And that speaking the right words at the right time (or choosing not to) is the biggest challenge we all have in life, at least that is what I think. Lyrics and chords are available via youtube. As you might have noticed I am trying to use all my ukes this week, this one was a little out of tune, but I thought the video was to good to bin and start over.
This was really nice, Wim. Very thoughtful work, and particularly meaningful for a bunch of people who only know each other (well, mostly) through the wonders of modern technology. Thank you for translating for those of us who don't speak Dutch!

I love how you not only jumped on these challenges but you keep raising the bar for yourself every day. Writing songs, translating songs, using all of your 'ukes, all that. Great fun. Thank you.

a couple of weeks ago, during and shortly after Ska-week, I listened to a lot of Skatalites records. One song really stood out for me and that was Starry Night. I tried to make a solo ukulele arrangement out of the song and here it is. yesterday I found out that the song is based on 'The Story of a Starry Night' by Glenn Miller and that he based his version on Tchaikovsky's Symphony no.6 'Pathétique'. So accidently I did another classical song. woohoo! Hope you like it!
Beautiful! Your playing is just gorgeous and it was a lot of fun, too.

Watching an old Rainbow Quest video I was well pleased to see the expression of awe on the face of Donovan as he listened to Rev Gary Davis sing "Oh Glory how happy I am (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veEs3jfo9H4)" It was a rip roaring performance, and ever since seeing it I have loved that song.
Really nice! I enjoyed this a lot.

UkeyDave
10-24-2013, 05:27 AM
I've just finished uploading this one, t'was done in a couple of takes while on a coffee break from decorating at home.
It does however include a dog bark(and a shake), some bum notes and me winging a chorus I hadn't heard before !! Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANdkErmpiHM

Nice one Mark. Now take that coat off. You won't feel the benefit. ;-)

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 05:36 AM
wee_ginga_yin's video set me to go and check out Reverend Gary Davis's work on YouTube.
He was a terrific performer. I saw one called Lord Stand by Me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYs8FcKU3bo) and created this little noodle inspired by that song - not the same melody certainly but my little variation if you like.
Your little variation is lovely. This was beautiful.

Here is my entry number 2 (which of course will be my TUESDAY entry). Looks like me and Rex had exactly the same idea. Sorry about the idle git in the background ;-) Must fly, got Wednesdays to practice.
Yeah, what is with that guy? Dude, I think he's holding you back. But then sometimes he's brilliant, so what can you do? Loved this, Dave. Lots of fun.

decaturcomp -- Feather on the Clyde
This was beautiful, Alan. Loved the playing especially. Really nice.

caukulele
10-24-2013, 05:38 AM
Wow, I just wanted to say that this has been a great week and I've been enjoying it so much, with a lot of surprises and all wonderful entries... It has been a very busy week for me...but it is a great challenge, I really hope that my husband and I can do something this weekend...

UkeyDave
10-24-2013, 05:38 AM
So I checked with Lily before I submitted this. This is not something I am unfamiliar with. In fact I got a copy of the Ukulele Waltz tab back when I first started playing ukulele last fall. I noodled around with it but was obviously not nearly ready to take that on at that time so I set it aside. I recently ran across a youtube video from France with two gentlemen playing it duet style that sort of grabbed me. They added a minor key interlude that was really clever and not in the original tablature so I wanted to add that in as well.

So here is my attempt at this piece that I have never attempted to record before. The hitch to make it interesting and challenging for me was to do it blindfolded. As I state in the video I have a habit of looking at fretting hand all the time and it's a bad habit I am trying to work on so I thought I would try something challenging in a way that forced me to not look. It came off surprisingly well. I got lost a couple of times but the fact that it didn't derail the whole performance is huge for me.

The second challenge is that this is entirely instrumental with no singing. Not my usual milieu at all.

Third it involves some complicated finger picking. In fact all the songs I'm considering this week are going to require some sort of Travis style picking, which I am challenging myself to use. It's my goal to improve to the point that I can attempt some additional instrumental pieces in the near future.

I've have this video posted unlisted and will probably remove it a week or two after the contest is over.

So without further ado, I present to you Magic Ukulele Waltz with blindfold! If you make it through the whole vid - HATS OFF!

You looked totally ridiculous in that scarf but that was JUST BRILLIANT. Great playing I'd love to be able to play that piece but alas I can't ever see me being able to master it. Great job. I really enjoyed that and it had me in fits of laughter too.

Barbablanca
10-24-2013, 05:46 AM
Ah! What did I need to forget this week? Or what did I need to practice that I didn't know before? I was stuck! But then I watched Alan/Decaturcomp's video and thought. Yes, that way of playing the "G" shape is certainly a new one on me, as is throwing in occasional notes while doing it. So I filed that away as a possible springboard for this week.

Then I was thinking that I find it so much easier to write songs about what's wrong with the world, so it'd be a challenge for me to write a song abut how wonderful it is to be alive. So, I went for a walk and I'd only been out of the house a few minutes when I shared the experience of a pair of pigeons taking off from a local mini-waterfall (see my song of the same name for images). The birds took off with their feathers spraying water over me and this other passerby. In the bright, but low-angled autumn sunlight, the droplets formed the briefest of rainbows. It was a wonderful sight... as was the look of wonder on my fellow pedestrian's face. I nodded to her, we both smiled and went on our way without comment. Immediately, the line "It's the little wonders that make living worth the while!" came into my head.

I rushed home and wrote the Chorus and recorded it on my mobile phone so as not to forget it (what did we do without them?)

Then I noticed that the Chorus, while quite catchy, was my usual three chord trick. So, I set myself the challenge of writing the verses using a chord sequence I don't think I have ever used before.... and even a chord in the penultimate line of each verse that shouldn't be there at all (a Gm).... but sounds just right. Combine that with Alan's new "G" shape and I have three new skills to offer in this entry!

I haven't quite mastered the technique Alan was mentioning, so this was the best of three takes (I'm not counting all the fits & starts as takes! :rolleyes: )

So here it is: "The Little Wonders"

http://youtu.be/TRxszjBkZXY

Incidentally, one line might be a puzzle. "A pigeon framed by a slice of bread". I have a photo of this somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I was walking through a public park one day, back in Britain. A lazy pigeon feeder had thrown whole slices of bread to the pigeons. One had pecked out the middle of a slice and then as I watched it, it threw back its head and "Hey Presto!" it had a slice of bread perfectly framing it. Luckily, I had my camera with me and snapped off a couple of shots before it managed to shake it off. It had been an amazing image, a little wonder indeed ;)

LYRICS in the description on Youtube.

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 06:05 AM
First things first: loved the dog. You did a wonderful job with this! It's not an easy song even when you know it.

I think the blindfold was a great idea. One of those ridiculous things that works. You played beautifully, and without a net. Great job!

Ah! What did I need to forget this week? Or what did I need to practice that I didn't know before? I was stuck! But then I watched Alan/Decaturcomp's video and thought. Yes, that way of playing the "G" shape is certainly a new one on me, as is throwing in occasional notes while doing it. So I filed that away as a possible springboard for this week.

Then I was thinking that I find it so much easier to write songs about what's wrong with the world, so it'd be a challenge for me to write a song abut how wonderful it is to be alive. So, I went for a walk and I'd only been out of the house a few minutes when I shared the experience of a pair of pigeons taking off from a local mini-waterfall (see my song of the same name for images). The birds took off with their feathers spraying water over me and this other passerby. In the bright, but low-angled autumn sunlight, the droplets formed the briefest of rainbows. It was a wonderful sight... as was the look of wonder on my fellow pedestrian's face. I nodded to her, we both smiled and went on our way without comment. Immediately, the line "It's the little wonders that make living worth the while!" came into my head.

I rushed home and wrote the Chorus and recorded it on my mobile phone so as not to forget it (what did we do without them?)

Then I noticed that the Chorus, while quite catchy, was my usual three chord trick. So, I set myself the challenge of writing the verses using a chord sequence I don't think I have ever used before.... and even a chord in the penultimate line of each verse that shouldn't be there at all (a Gm).... but sounds just right. Combine that with Alan's new "G" shape and I have three new skills to offer in this entry!

I haven't quite mastered the technique Alan was mentioning, so this was the best of three takes (I'm not counting all the fits & starts as takes! :rolleyes: )

So here it is: "The Little Wonders"

Incidentally, one line might be a puzzle. "A pigeon framed by a slice of bread". I have a photo of this somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I was walking through a public park one day, back in Britain. A lazy pigeon feeder had thrown whole slices of bread to the pigeons. One had pecked out the middle of a slice and then as I watched it, it threw back its head and "Hey Presto!" it had a slice of bread perfectly framing it. Luckily, I had my camera with me and snapped off a couple of shots before it managed to shake it off. It had been an amazing image, a little wonder indeed ;)

LYRICS in the description on Youtube.
See, here's where I get all misty-eyed. You could have just written a song and performed it, and that would fit the theme and it would be great. But you found as many ways as you could to make this song different, and it's a beautiful song and lots of fun. It doesn't hurt that I looooove pigeons, and I'm the host so I'm not completely objective, but I thought this was wonderful and very special.

This seems a good time to mention how awesome I think you all are. I don't think I've said that today.

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 06:07 AM
Playlist is updated through Barbablanca. Are you there? Are you supposed to be? If you're not and you are, sing out!

I just realized that, shockingly, nobody has recorded "Cuanto Le Gusta." I guess everybody already knows it.

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 06:08 AM
Wow, I just wanted to say that this has been a great week and I've been enjoying it so much, with a lot of surprises and all wonderful entries... It has been a very busy week for me...but it is a great challenge, I really hope that my husband and I can do something this weekend...
I hope so, too! Thanks for stopping by to lend an ear, even if you don't get the camera rolling (but I hope you do).

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 06:20 AM
Precisely what the seasons needed! Made my coffee this morning ten times better...a call to arms folks! Grab your ukes, I think we need to do them all now.
This will come as a shock, but I would be okay with this. :music:

UkeCan1
10-24-2013, 06:30 AM

Wonderful! (I do love a good happy song.) Please post the pigeon photo!

wee_ginga_yin
10-24-2013, 06:41 AM

Blindfold waltz... now there is a thing. I always associated the blindfold with the tango. The two countries in the world that love REALLY REALLY love the tango are Finland and Argentina. The tradition has it that the musicians when playing the tango should be blindfolded. Perhaps this is to help them concentrate and not be distracted y the antics of the dancers on the dancefloor

Who can forget the El Tango de Roxanne from the movie Moulin Rouge

Or that special twist where Al Pacino plays a blind soldier who takes to the dancefloor with an awestruck young woman in the movie "Scent of a woman"

and I have always had my flab gasted by antonio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEwZIu... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3F v%3DDEwZIufmafo%26NR&session_token=ytOA6nLDObLFPoB4X0tRYoiTMyx8MTM4Mjcx ODY1MkAxMzgyNjMyMjUy)

I tried it myself with Autumn leaves (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGE25FYAUuQ)

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Update: UkeyDave asked for a challenge, I gave him one, and he's accepted. Awesomeness forthcoming.

myrnaukelele
10-24-2013, 08:48 AM
And I'm learning songs suggested by birdseyeview (Go-gos it is!~) and mythinformed (a Carpenters tune). Now there's a fun theme... Seasonistas challenging other Seasonistas to learn songs of their choice...hmmmmm.

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 09:11 AM
And I'm learning songs suggested by birdseyeview (Go-gos it is!~) and mythinformed (a Carpenters tune). Now there's a fun theme... Seasonistas challenging other Seasonistas to learn songs of their choice...hmmmmm.
Yes! I love this!

UkeyDave
10-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Right then. We will call this the Wednesday entry. This was inspired by Linda Louden who very kindly played in the same style as my strum and introduced me to a new song to learn (Rock My Soul). So here is my interpretation of this song.

The challenge part comes in two parts. Firstly I have been attempting to incorporate the fan stroke into my strum (forgive me if its not the fan stroke I'm just working from memory, its the one where you flick and roll your fingers starting with the little finger (no we DON'T call it a pinky in these parts lol). Anyway I thought this song would be ideal to attempt this with which I do towards the end. I have also tried to show in this video how I increase the intensity of the strum by first just using one index finger and later my first two fingers to increase the volume of my playing as the song progresses.
Lily challenged me to do a tutorial but I'm really only a beginner myself and I doubt there is anything I can teach you lot about Ukeing so I just filmed my strum close up so you can see how I do it. I couldn't possibly describe how I do it because I just use a technique that feels right to me and one no doubt a proper teacher may take me to task on. I tend to just go on how it sounds to me and if it sounds ok then thats what I do. I can totally relate to what Decatourcomp said with his tutorial.

Anyway here it is. I will also complete the other two challenges set by Lily but had already done this one when she asked me to do a tutorial so whilst its not a tutorial it is what I would call a just watch and see for yourself. I was very flattered and indeed a little embarrassed that Linda thought my strum good enough to replicate so thank you for making me blush. :o
Oh and I do change the lyrics a little to incorporate the Season's/Seasonistas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozthXGzCqZU

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Right then. We will call this the Wednesday entry. This was inspired by Linda Louden who very kindly played in the same style as my strum and introduced me to a new song to learn (Rock My Soul). So here is my interpretation of this song.

The challenge part comes in two parts. Firstly I have been attempting to incorporate the fan stroke into my strum (forgive me if its not the fan stroke I'm just working from memory, its the one where you flick and roll your fingers starting with the little finger (no we DON'T call it a pinky in these parts lol). Anyway I thought this song would be ideal to attempt this with which I do towards the end. I have also tried to show in this video how I increase the intensity of the strum by first just using one index finger and later my first two fingers to increase the volume of my playing as the song progresses.
Lily challenged me to do a tutorial but I'm really only a beginner myself and I doubt there is anything I can teach you lot about Ukeing so I just filmed my strum close up so you can see how I do it. I couldn't possibly describe how I do it because I just use a technique that feels right to me and one no doubt a proper teacher may take me to task on. I tend to just go on how it sounds to me and if it sounds ok then thats what I do. I can totally relate to what Decatourcomp said with his tutorial.

Anyway here it is. I will also complete the other two challenges set by Lily but had already done this one when she asked me to do a tutorial so whilst its not a tutorial it is what I would call a just watch and see for yourself. I was very flattered and indeed a little embarrassed that Linda thought my strum good enough to replicate so thank you for making me blush. :o
Dave, I put this in the tutorial playlist as well as the main playlist. While I guess it's not a tutorial, strictly speaking, we don't speak that strictly. Seems to me that some people might find this useful for learning and I want it to be where they can find it. I plan to play with this technique myself.

I love that you decided to do the same song Linda did! Your version was, of course, very different but also wonderful. Thanks for including the Seasons in the lyrics! My next wish is for the two of you to play it together, but that may not happen by the end of this week. Great job!

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Hey, who wants to do something by the B-52s? Preferably Love Shack, but I'm open to negotiation. Rock Lobster maybe.

UkeyDave
10-24-2013, 10:44 AM
My next wish is for the two of you to play it together, but that may not happen by the end of this week. Great job!
Well I was going to attempt to play along to her version and post that but because there was multi tracking and talking I couldn't keep proper time with it. I'd love to record it with her.

cua94
10-24-2013, 10:50 AM
This is my 2nd time entering in the seasons. I am glad I could do one I am working on.

Enjoy!

Cua94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXvz1A1UY-w

lelouden
10-24-2013, 10:54 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozthXGzCqZU
What do you mean you don't know how to do a tutorial? IMO you just did! And a mighty fine job of it, the song, and the Seasonista's incorporation in it. I highly doubt you as a beginner:) You play/sound pretty seasoned to me. I love the strum pattern that you have adopted because it sounds so different than what I do and it's happy sounding and IMO this was worth three tut thumbs up. New song, UkeyDave Strum and the Fan strum ( which sounded pretty perfect to me ). This vid put a big smile and even some giggle's in my system:) BTW I'm glad you showed how you do your strum cuz I was afraid if I did i'd screw it up . I was just hoping they'd believe I was doing it right!

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 11:02 AM
This is my 2nd time entering in the seasons. I am glad I could do one I am working on.

Enjoy!

Cua94
It's hard for beginners to learn a new song in less than a week. Add to that, the stress of doing it in front of a camera, and figuring out how to get the thing shot and uploaded... well, it takes some fortitude.

You did a lovely job with this! It's a good song and you performed it very well. You don't even look nervous! Glad you came back.

decaturcomp
10-24-2013, 11:30 AM
inspired by Lynda Birdseye's earlier punk entry, i decided that pixies were more important to me than go-gos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tiKDQDAaw8
I think I missed a day earlier this week so this should catch up.
Musn't be laggarts now, must we?

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 11:48 AM
inspired by Lynda Birdseye's earlier punk entry, i decided that pixies were more important to me than go-gos
I think I missed a day earlier this week so this should catch up.
Musn't be laggarts now, must we?
Wait, you think this means you don't have to do Go-Go's too? I don't remember anybody saying THAT. (Oh, I'm wrong, there was no Go-Go's rule. My mistake.)

This was fun! I'd love to see you and "Lynda" (code name) do a duet.

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 11:52 AM
I forgot to say when this Season ends. While I would love for this to go on forever, I'm sure Ginny is working up something special for all of us. Therefore, it will end, as tradition would have it, at midnight Hawai'i time, on Sunday night.

decaturcomp
10-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Hey UkeyDave!
That was awesome so I hope it's okay to jump in.
I'll be quiet after this tonight I swear.
Speaking of quiet, I wish you were louder in the mix here, sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBaZ0iuaHqQ

ohmless
10-24-2013, 12:34 PM
thanks for the fun rendition of the garden song Cua94. I just found the music for it at doctoruke's since I am such a big fan of Pete Seeger.

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Hey UkeyDave!
Okay to jump in! That's one of our favorite things! This was great.

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 01:11 PM
thanks for the fun rendition of the garden song Cua94. I just found the music for it at doctoruke's since I am such a big fan of Pete Seeger.
Feel free to do your own version, if you would like! Duplicate entries are welcome!

ukuleledaddy
10-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Here's my second vid of the week. U2.........

http://youtu.be/Ic3f7sr66tE

ksiegel
10-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Not a Train Wreck - more along the lines of a bicycle tipping over, I think.

Second take, third time I played it.

But hey - it's Mellencamp!

http://youtu.be/ScsfXfwm48I

ukuLily Mars
10-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Here's my second vid of the week. U2.........
Great job! You sounded really good, and that 'uke is gorgeous. What is it, manzanita??? (Sigh. So jealous.) Where was I? You did a really nice job with this. A lot of fun.

I think it's obvious it's time for me to call it a night. I've had a blast with all of you today! The playlist is caught up through ukuleledaddy and his awesome Doug-made 'uke. Have fun while I'm gone and don't wreck the place.

TCK
10-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Whoops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i20sIl3Cfg&feature=youtu.be
I will post the one I REALLY wanted to play over on the island- expecting it is not kid friendly? I hope not.

10-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Super rad video Birdseye.

Okay, I'll admit that EVERYTHING BEVOMU brings knocks me out

o

m

G

it's amazing when seasons royalty (and that is REAL royalty!!) even know you exist - but when they say such wonderful stuff about your uke-ing, you get all really warm and fuzzy inside. ukulele group hug to EVERYONE on the seasons.

You picked my favorite
we have these flunkies... i don't like to call them SPIES, but, well... if the cap fits!

Nice one Mark. Now take that coat off. You won't feel the benefit. ;-)
lol!

Oh, I'm wrong, there was no Go-Go's rule. My mistake.
if the queen oops i mean SEASONS HOST :uhoh: cannot change the rules mid-season WHAT IS THE POINT IN BEING QUEEN. er. host.

i actually believe there is a precedent for this

rules got changed and i had to pretend to be david soul

ok here is ANOTHER vid. will someone please post some kind of warning, that you might THINK when you first discover the seasons that you will just post one vid every now and again IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. this place is addictive

more go-go's - it's a song about everyone here on the seasons - WE GOT THE BEAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnR4Mv42QhQ

right. now i'm off to check out the million and a half posts that have gone up here since i started doing THIS post!

decaturcomp
10-24-2013, 04:20 PM
"...ukulele group hug to everyone in the Seasons"
-my son Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruavuLbK4oU

TCK
10-24-2013, 04:37 PM
So are we taking this season by force and sparing our delightful host no quarter? I am in if that is what we are doing here.
Alan- While stupid Youtube is lagging uploading my next video...I want you to know I am singing this little Carpenters jam at the top of my lungs.
Magical.
Totally on top of the world. Looking down on creation,
The only explanation I can find is that we are quite possibly all nuts.

decaturcomp
10-24-2013, 04:55 PM
awwwwsome!

So are we taking this season by force and sparing our delightful host no quarter? I am in if that is what we are doing here.
Alan- While stupid Youtube is lagging uploading my next video...I want you to know I am singing this little Carpenters jam at the top of my lungs.
Magical.
Totally on top of the world. Looking down on creation,
The only explanation I can find is that we are quite possibly all nuts.

decaturcomp
10-24-2013, 05:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGl3Y9VOTbQ

TCK
10-24-2013, 05:36 PM
So, of course in introducing my video, I got it all wrong. It ain't a Josie Cotton song the GoGo's covered, and it ain't going to the island. I suppose I can set the record straight, I do have a rule about this named for me.
This song was first played by the punk rock band FEAR in the late seventies, and as it was a punk rock song...well, regretfully it was not very nice. It did however catch the attention of the Brothers Paine. These two (Larson and Bobby) had recently discovered the Go-Go's (at their first gig), and that is how they figure into our story.
Bobby and Larson re-penned the nasty song FEAR had written, won publishing rights for it from the a fore mentioned punkers in a coin toss, and decided to soften it with the all-girl rock band (the first? At least the first to achieve any success I think), and asked them to perform it. Of course they obliged, and finished their shows with it. Apparently this brought the roof down at their shows, a statement I cannot verify as I was only 8 at the time.
This was all to come to an end soon however. See, the GoGo's wanted to tour with Madness, and their management did not want them too. Subsequently the song in question was verbotten, never recorded (exception- live), and forgotten- for a minute.
Now, enter Josie Cotton. Remember her? Of course not (DUDE- Valley Girl? Like Oh My God!), but in a chance meeting with future boyfriend Larson Paine (in a bank line), it was decided that she would be given the chance to make a demo of the song, which was a minor hit for her.
I was not going to post it on this side, because at first I was thinking like my students (which is not really thinking at all most of the time- puberty is ROUGH), and I did not want to come across as patronizing or pejorative, thus offending someone. I say in the video that it is not family friendly, but it is.
There are no expletives in this song, and it was celebrated in a huge way by the gay community (still is) and really, it is just a joke. This is not about homophobia or anything like that- more a celebration, and just me having a little fun (at least I am clothed). I have no intention to offend, only entertain so I hope it does that-if not, turn it off. It is the internet and you are in charge.
And finally a chance to play my favorite GoGo's song...
Johnny Are You Queer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zvgg_03SWM&feature=youtu.be

TCK
10-24-2013, 05:40 PM
And their off...Boy Lily is going to wake up to a mess ;)

myrnaukelele
10-24-2013, 05:45 PM
And their off...Boy Lily is going to wake up to a mess ;)
Learning a song for you right now TCK...the night is yet young here on the West Coast and I have two I'd like to record tonight. But I have to learn them first...

TCK
10-24-2013, 05:48 PM
YAY!!! Can't wait!
Learning a song for you right now TCK...the night is yet young here on the West Coast and I have two I'd like to record tonight. But I have to learn them first...

KoaDependent
10-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Wow. Without that backstory, I'd have laughed heartily at you for calling that a Go-Go's song.

And did decaturcomp get some kind of exemption to the one-song-per-day rule? (not that we aren't enjoying your prodigious output)

TCK
10-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Haha- The flag has been raised...no quarter given
Wow. Without that backstory, I'd have laughed heartily at you for calling that a Go-Go's song.

And did decaturcomp get some kind of exemption to the one-song-per-day rule? (not that we aren't enjoying your prodigious output)

decaturcomp
10-24-2013, 06:01 PM
No Koa, I'm just a little black raincloud.
It is possible I'd have to stay after school except that I might be singing the entire time.
Also, these are really not entries because I'm out of them and they're not bonuses because there aren't any this season. ergo, they do not actually exist.

Rustyy
10-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Here's my third effort for the season.
I was wondering what to play, then it hit me that it was my birthday tomorrow, and I'll be 64. So the song chose itself really. Thank goodness I was only allowed three takes otherwise I'd still be trying to hit those high notes. Damn just missed them again

I am having a lot of fun, but I haven't got time to do anything else. By the time I rehearse a bit, make the clip, look at other much more worthy entrants, dream about the next song, next season etc., the day is gone.

Thank you to everybody for all the encouragement, too. It's much appreciated

http://youtu.be/WxTpW_3EEa0

decaturcomp
10-24-2013, 06:55 PM
it's tired and i'm getting late
wanted to hear myrna's tunes 'cause I can relate
the dj says i need my rest
like a long lost bird i can't find my nest

peace y'all

myrnaukelele
10-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Perfect song for you for this Season! Happy Birthday rustyy and many many more.

myrnaukelele
10-24-2013, 07:04 PM
More Carpenters comin' at ya TCK ;) Feel free to sing along.

http://youtu.be/9xjmy6q8LJg

Rustyy
10-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Perfect song for you for this Season! Happy Birthday rustyy and many many more.

Thanks Myrna, birthdays come and go, but friends stick around and I seem to be making plenty on this site.

thesillydave
10-24-2013, 07:11 PM
i searched for a song that i hadn't looked at before..and found a cliff edwards gem....here's his version...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxyhKV7NPi8
and here's mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqRIhb9hnrs
thanks for watching!
cheers!

TCK
10-24-2013, 07:18 PM
I was wondering what to play, then it hit me that it was my birthday tomorrow, and I'll be 64. So the song chose itself really. Thank goodness I was only allowed three takes otherwise I'd still be trying to hit those high notes. Damn just missed them again

I am having a lot of fun, but I haven't got time to do anything else. By the time I rehearse a bit, make the clip, look at other much more worthy entrants, dream about the next song, next season etc., the day is gone.

Thank you to everybody for all the encouragement, too. It's much appreciated

Rusty- I like the way you play the game mate- Happy Birthday and many returns. Great song!

TCK
10-24-2013, 07:20 PM
More Carpenters comin' at ya TCK ;) Feel free to sing along.

Well. It goes without saying I like the way you play the game as well Myrna. Believe me, you are getting a little backup on this one!
I'm on top of the world...
and figuring we've only just begun.
Solid Gold here!

myrnaukelele
10-24-2013, 07:25 PM
and figuring we've only just begun.

Lol! This was the Carpenter's song mythinformed wanted me to sing... but Top of the World called my name instead.:o

ukuleledaddy
10-24-2013, 07:43 PM

Well Happy Birthday!!! I can completely relate to your post here. I have to really watch myself or before I know it I've done nothing all day but play, listen to or search for songs for the seasons. I've been hooked for 88 weeks now and this crazy ride has a strangle hold on me. It's often my only source of sanity.

TCK
10-24-2013, 07:48 PM
No truer words were ever spoken.
Well Happy Birthday!!! I can completely relate to your post here. I have to really watch myself or before I know it I've done nothing all day but play, listen to or search for songs for the seasons. I've been hooked for 88 weeks now and this crazy ride has a strangle hold on me. It's often my only source of sanity.

UkeyDave
10-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Hey UkeyDave!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBaZ0iuaHqQ
Of course it's ok Alan. Indeed I'm honoured. The more the merrier.

xommen
10-24-2013, 11:28 PM
This is my friday entry, Grace by the Choir. This uke is tuned in Bb so I had to find a song that needed that, this was the one I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hlz1BfLnJc

UkeyDave
10-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Lily challenged me to do the Locomotion so here it is. Thanks Lily. I think the Partridge family challenge will be tougher to master but I WONT BE BEATEN. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5OuQ6LbXdQ
for some reason my iPad won't post a pictorial video version. iPad and you tube is a bloody awful combination. So frustrating.

xommen
10-25-2013, 03:11 AM
You should change the m.youtube.com to www.youtube.com like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5OuQ6LbXdQ