Strumming fingers

Ken608

Reaction score
I'm a uke newbie. For me, it is most natural and comfortable to down strum with my middle and ring fingers and up strum with my thumb.

Will this present any problems as I progress into more advanced techniques.

All recommendations with explanations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ken

I believe strumming like that will limit you in the future. If you really want to progress and get faster. Watch strumming videos by Aldrine on this site. Check out "how to strum" videos on YouTube by Jake Shimabukuro. If you want to get faster and better, learn the techniques as the really good players teach them, they are good because of technique and lots of practice.

I agree with Doug. Here's why...

Basic strumming is done with the index finger and the thumb doesn't normally go below the strings at all. If you're using your thumb for the upstroke in 4/4 time though, then you're wasting enough energy that you are going to fatigue faster than most people. Sure, some people do this and it doesn't affect their play at all... ask them how long they've been playing though, what kind of music they enjoy, etc.

The wasted effort will also limit how fast you can strum. It's pretty simple really. Your wrist is moving 4 or 5 times farther per strum than the average player to achieve the same results. This can be important if you ever plan on playing with other musicians.

Then there's the finger issue... One of the reasons people strum with their index finger is that it allows you to tuck the other 3 fingers safely against the palm so you don't double-strum, twang, catch a hangnail, etc., etc.. My solution is to hold my other fingers out rigidly to keep the out of the way.

Since you have 2 fingers and a thumb in use to play the same chords most people use one finger for; you are dramatically increasing the possibility of screwing up.

Basically, it just means that you're working harder than you need to and not really getting any immediate benefits from it. But who knows, it might all work out brilliantly in the long run. Lets face it, it all hinges on your playing style, the songs you play, and what you're willing to give up for any possible long term benefits. If you play music by the note it won't matter at all. Learning complex strumming patterns will be problematic though.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with the previous advice, I'm just presenting a different angle:) I think sometimes it depends on the player. Sometimes it's better to just go with what feels right for you, not what's 'technically' correct. If you come across a song further down the track that requires a different approach, you can modify what you're doing to get the sound that you want. There is no right or wrong. Trust your ear. Happy strumming;)

I share the belief of those that think there is a more or less "correct" strumming technique. Some of the odd techniques you see result from "bad habits" developed while young and practiced until they became second nature. They become masters in spite of their odd technique, not because of them. For most of us though, we develop these bad habits in the beginning because they are "easy." The longer you practice a "bad habit", the harder it is for some of us to break kit (eating, smoking, too much computer time (lol), etc. Right or wrong are the best term to use here.....it's a hot button for many. Standard strumming techniques are generally more "efficient" and put your fingers in position to play other chords and transition for a somewhat easier transition to other complimentary chords. Then, just when you get your head around this, there's George Formby. :music:

Top Bottom