Any thoughts on Eastman Ukes?

taylorcrazy

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I purchased an Eastman guitar a few months ago that was incredible for the $s. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Eastman Ukes?

Wendell

Eastman ukes look like a step up in quality from mass produced Chinese ukes with its solid wood and nitro cellulose finish. I tried the mahogany soprano at my local guitar store. It was priced at $379 so not really an entry level instrument. I thought it sounded good but I didn't like the geared tuners on a soprano. It does come with a hard-shell case so overall a good value. In this price range I would still give serious consideration to Pono ukuleles first.

Last edited:
There's one at my local acoustic shop and it's well made and plays well. I don't like that they placed fret markers at 5, 7 and 9 like a guitar. I have never seen any other ukuleles marked that way. I suppose some guitar players will like that. It will be interesting to see if they change that in the future. I too do not like geared tuners on a soprano.

Interesting, the one's on Eastman's site are marked 5, 7, 9 and the one I played is marked 5, 7, 9. Maybe they've already changed it. Thanks.
Just checked a few other sites.
The photos of the concert and tenor on the Long and McQuade site are marked 5, 7, 9.
Photos on Elderly have sop 5, 7, 9/concert 5, 7, 10/tenor 5, 7, 10
Tenor on The Twelfth Fret site is 5/7/10

Last edited:
From what I understand, the newer ukes have updated the placement to the 10th fret.

Has anyone played these ukes, particularly the concert size?

Eastman do make very nice and well made acoustic guitars and the ukes seem to follow suit. I have played a number of the concerts at Long and McQuad and the fit and finish on everyone I have tried is top notch. I have played at least 8 - 10 different instruments and they are all on the quite side, nice smooth mahogany tone but soft sounding. The set up seems very nice as well, low and consistent.

Had an Eastman mandolin and it was superb. If their ukuleles are in the same league as their mandolins, they should definitely be worth a look.

Since this zombie thread has been resuscitated... :)

I have an Eastman concert uke, and I like it very much. The construction and tone are reminiscent of Martin (which they are pretty obviously inspired by), and the build quality is quite good. Nice mellow mahogany tone. I think these are a good "half-step" alternative for someone looking for a move up from a mass-produced import. Currently they are only making mahogany ukes, so you can have any wood you like, as long as it's mahogany. :)

Edit to add: I also have an Eastman mandolin and two Eastman guitars, so I'm a fan of the brand.

I played an Eastman concert uke over the weekend at a music store while I was on vacation - had never heard of the brand and was amazed at the sound. Far and away superior to and in a different class than any other Asian imports I have ever heard. I was told the factory is dedicated to this brand only, the workers have been trained by European luthiers, and the instruments are made with a combination of factory and small, individual craftsman techniques. If you could cover the made in Beijing on the label, you would swear it's a Martin. Was sorely tempted by this one . . .

I played an assortment of Ohanas, Oscar Schmidts and an Eastman concert a few weeks ago, the Eastman did not stand out whatsoever. Actually I bought an Ohana cedar top since then.

I have three Eastman jazz boxes: astonishing build quality and value. I Love them. Ukuleles? I'm not familiar with them, and I defer to the opinion of those who've contrasted them to comparably-priced ukuleles. Eastman's reputation in the jazz guitar world is very good. Whether it will succeed in ukuleles is another story, but it comes from a good starting point.

They look nice and sound nice but there is something about them that is missing IMO. For that price there are other niceish brands that I prefer, but hey this is just an opinion.

...I think it was the feel of the frets felt too raised and cheap for me i dunno

Came across a tenor at a music store recently and bought it. It looks and sounds better than similarly priced ukes I have been able to try and it comes with a hard case. All solid mahogany with nice grain, not as overbuilt as kala, oscar schmidtt, etc. Staining is somewhat sloppy and nut action was too high, although any good store should adjust that for free. Frets were fine to me. So far I am happy with it.

Top Bottom