Soprano uke, Tenor uke string spacing at bridge ??

Uncle Freddy

Reaction score
hello everyone .....restoring a Hohner soprano uke, standard 21 inch long model ....installing new Stew Mac bridge .....my measuring & calculations have the string spacing at the bridge at 44 mm (tenor spacing, according to Stew Mac) ....is this ok ?? can I space my strings at the bridge at 44 mm on a soprano uke and still get things to dial in & tune up & hold a tune correctly ?? ......Stew Mac recs 36 mm spacing at the bridge for a soprano uke but that seems very tight there to me, as far as the spacing in between the strings, as the tenor spacing of 44 mm seems more correct to me .....thanks for the assist

I'm not a luthier, but you got me curious. My Martin sopranos, concert and 12-fret tenor are all 42.5 mm and my 14-fret Martin tenor is.....40.5 mm! My Kamaka long neck concert (tenor scale and bridge) is 44 mm.

I copy whatever the width at the fingerboard at the 12 fret is, which usually makes it 46ish mm on my ukes which gives it a string spacing similarish - as it turns out- to a classical guitar. My nuts are about 36mm wide.

Last edited:
Top Bottom