how do you read music for ukulele?

im as beginner as beginner gets. everything im learning is pretty much from youtube videos on "how to play so and so..." how do you read, say, something like this:
http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/hellogoodbye.pdf
i know the chords are on top, but how do you know what the strumming pattern is and when a measure ends?

the best way in my opinion is to listen to the strumming pattern and make something up that, a.) you can sing with and b) isnt too easy, you dont want patterns like d,d,d,d,d (except for certain songs). easier said than done though. you could try look up the song on youtube, as its probably already been done, and watch the strumming pattern. as far as when to strum, usually, when the chord is on top of a word like:
Code:
G          Am
Oh, it is love
         Bm           C                 G
From the first time I set my eyes up on yours
begin the strumming pattern again when that word comes up, with the corresponding chord. so when you say "Oh," strum the G with your pattern, and when you get to "love" start the Am.

and then theres tablature. refer to this uke minutes for how to read tablature, which is picking: uke-minutes-32-basic-tab-notation/ and this one: uke-minutes-30-how-to-read-tabs/ and this thread by davoomac how to read tabs thread

Last edited:
Strumming is not indicated on tab sheets with lyrics and chords. My advice would be to use a simple strum (D U D U) first to get the tempo and melody as well as the chord changes. Once you're familiar or comfortable with that, then try improvising the strum by changing it up; for esample D D U U D.

Strumming is not indicated on tab sheets with lyrics and chords. My advice would be to use a simple strum (D U D U) first to get the tempo and melody as well as the chord changes. Once you're familiar or comfortable with that, then try improvising the strum by changing it up; for esample D D U U D.

Excellent advice.As you get better some of this will come naturally.

Coming from an instrument where the sheet music told you exactly what to play and when, I have to say this is bugging the heck out of me. The chord sheets are only good if you already know the song or can find it performed somewhere. I guess tabbed songs are a bit better, but the notation of the rhythm is still generally lacking.

[Rant finished]

That said, the glut of songs available online is simply amazing. :)

Top Bottom