Tombo Ukulet?

tad

Reaction score
I just saw a really interesting looking electric uke on ebay...

Anyone have any knowledge of or experience with one of these? From what little I've been able to find, it's apparently a Japanese manufacturer that now makes primarily harmonicas, that produced this electric steel-string uke back in the 60s.

Kinda an ancestor to the Risa electric and the Konablaster. And kind of cool looking.

Looks very reminiscent of my first Teisco del Ray electric guitar with a misappropriated bass pickup (probably a lot fewer winds under the hood). If my past experience with cheap 60's Japanese guitars (like the chrome beast I keep on my wall) is any clue, I'd expect tuners that don't quite hold, pretty high action and usually a pretty unique sound that can't quite be replicated by expensive instruments with all their quality control and workmanship. (though sometimes these things can really surprise you by being gems.)

It's also possible that they marketed this also as an electric mandolin as well if I remember correctly. I do believe I've seen 4 string electric mandolins of this caliber. (and not nearly as cool as the Coral electric sitar...)

Could be fun. Could end up as a wall hanger. Not sure I'd sell the farm for it. But if you go in with your eyes open, is an interesting thing to mess around with.

i don't really like ukes that look like that.. haha thats why i wud stay away :D

The part of the listing that pretty much said "stay away" to me was "All items are sold as-is and returns are not permitted, please bid accordingly."

That language always makes me nervous, but then again, I've bought some really nice stuff off ebay with similar caveats...

i don't really like ukes that look like that.. haha thats why i wud stay away :D

See, I think it looks kinda awesome.

Could be fun. Could end up as a wall hanger. Not sure I'd sell the farm for it. But if you go in with your eyes open, is an interesting thing to mess around with.

It *DOES* look like a Teisco del Ray!

I figure it might be interesting to play around with, as long as it remains cheap...

I'm not sure of Teisco's history, but I wouldn't doubt that there were a small number of Japanese factories making a bunch of different instruments for different brand names. A lot of similarly styled things going around...

ok to hijack the thread for a minute, i have an old Teisco Del Ray on my wall. Ive been trying to find the model number or something on it, but to no avail. all i know it my dad bought it in the mid 60's - early 70's... here are some pics i just took.

SDC10703.jpg

it has a little foil thing on the back that say Model but it has been worn off over the years... any help would be appreciated

Top Bottom