PDA

View Full Version : One day or two day festival?

hoosierhiver
10-21-2013, 08:30 AM
What are people's thoughts on one day versus two day festivals?

Freeda
10-21-2013, 08:32 AM
One day isn't enough.

Jon Moody
10-21-2013, 08:38 AM
It's a fine line. One day is nice and compact, and allows you to spend the entire day just focused on one thing.

However, if you spread it over two days, in terms of audience, you open yourself up to the possibility of more people. You can have some/most/all of the same workshops on both days, but you will have people that went to Workshop A at the 10am slot on Saturday have the ability to go to Workshop B at the same time on Sunday. Also, people that would spend the premium for a two-day pass may not feel as overwhelmed as they would with one day (as in, they don't have to be at the festival site the entire day).

hoosierhiver
10-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Presumably people would be more inclined to travel further for a 2 day as opposed to a 1 day, right?

sukie
10-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Presumably people would be more inclined to travel further for a 2 day as opposed to a 1 day, right?

I would think so.
And I also look at the line-up of performers.

Freeda
10-21-2013, 08:49 AM
For me, socializing is a lot of it. The one day events (Michigan's own Mighty Uke Day included) don't allow enough time for getting to know other ukers.

Jon Moody
10-21-2013, 08:55 AM

You'd think so, but we met a number of people that came from California for the Mufest, specifically for Aaron Keim's Clawhammer class.

OldePhart
10-21-2013, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't travel far for a one day festival.

Actually, I prefer the "open" format of UWC - show up sometime during the week and leave sometime after Saturday... LOL

John

ScooterD35
10-21-2013, 10:31 AM
For Uke New Jresey! this year, we went with 1+ days. We started out on Friday evening with a movie and a concert and then had a full day of workshops and socializing on Saturday culminating in another concert Saturday evening.

At our regular Spring and Fall Folk Festivals, we start on Friday evening with a concert and go all day and night Saturday and Sunday morning finishing up with a Sunday afternoon concert. Three concerts, workshops all day Saturday and all Sunday morning, open mics and virtually non-stop jamming. We hold these at a YMCA camp so everybody gets to sleep over and all meals are included.

I'm not quite ready to go that route for Uke New Jersey! yet, but the thought is floating through my head.

Interestingly, my plan to integrate Uke players into The Folk Project membership seems to be working out just fine. There were a fair number of Ukes present at our Fall Festival last weekend and we expect many more in the spring (we've booked Victoria Vox for Spring Festival and will likely have someone else to do Uke workshops as well).

I'll be watching this thread closely as I'm ready to start planning Uke New Jersey Too! for next Labor Day weekend.

Scooter

HBolte
10-21-2013, 10:38 AM

I sure would.

Tootler
10-21-2013, 01:02 PM

I would think so.
And I also look at the line-up of performers.

Definitely would go further for a two day fest as it's worth booking overnight accommodation. 1 day needs to be fairly close so you can get there and get home in reasonable time.

Performer line up doesn't worry me too much. I look for participation opportunities; workshops, jams, open mics etc.

edstrummer
10-21-2013, 01:19 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Mufest on Saturday but I did leave a little early for the 90 minute drive home. Extra day or even half day would require overnight stay. Next year for sure.
Ed.

mangorockfish
10-21-2013, 03:00 PM
When is UWC in 2014?

hoosierhiver
10-21-2013, 03:14 PM
When is UWC in 2014?

Always the first weekend in June, this year I think it's the 6th-7th. hee-hee

RON<>VA
10-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Our UkeFest VIRGINIA is Friday night and all day/evening Saturday. This works for us. Enough time for concerts, workshops, open mic, jams, etc. and gives the vendors time to make sales. Also give enough time for a variety of performers.

(by the way, join us November 1-2 at The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen, near Richmond, Va. We are super excited to have Ken Middleton and the Beloffs and others)

JT_Ukes
10-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Hmm... The Tamapa Bay Ukulele Gataway is that same weekend :) First weekend in November every year.

We do a 3 day-ish event.

http://www.tampabayukulele.com/schedule.html

Friday evening is a free to all, With a Local talent concert, where members of the Tamap Bay Ukulele Society get to showcase our well, talents, there is a led beginners jam and then jams till late into the night.

Saturday is 4 workshops given by the featured artists, (and they are set up so you get to go to all 4) lunch, bonus workshops, and that evening is the concert with the featured artists, and then... jams till the cows come home!

Sunday are more led jam sessions, and the luau lunh buffet. and jams.

We make it so, if you can only make it for Saturday, you get the meat of the experiance, and if you can only do 2 of the three you still get a lot of Uking in! Of course the vendors are there all three days!

It's worked for three years now and this years looks to be AWESOME!.

Hope to see some of you there!

ricdoug
10-21-2013, 04:50 PM
I've been to 1, 2 and 3 day ukulele festivals. All were fun and totally different formats. Ric

Mandalyn
10-21-2013, 06:23 PM
What are people's thoughts on one day versus two day festivals?

If an one day festival was close to me, I would go to it. If I need to travel far for the festival, I would want it to last at least 2 days.
I like the idea of 2 day festivals more though. Just because you get to spend more time with awesome ukulele people. :D

molokinirum
10-22-2013, 06:52 AM
2 at the minimum!! 3 would be better.

seeso
10-22-2013, 10:12 AM
For the Milwaukee Ukulele Fest, a one-day festival, a bunch of us booked a big cabin for the first four years and stayed there on Friday. It ends up being a two-day festival if you do it like that, albeit unofficially.

For me, it doesn't matter too much, as the only reason I go to festivals is to socialize and jam.

gyosh
10-22-2013, 10:20 AM
I like the 2+ day festivals because it gives you a better chance to meet new people and establish a friendship.

kaizersoza
10-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Gotta be a 2 dayer Mike

glass
10-22-2013, 11:18 AM

I think that people would travel from further away if it was a two day festival rather then a one day deal. Then people could even possibly have little jam sessions at various hotels and such....

myrnaukelele
10-22-2013, 07:43 PM
One day isn't enough.

Absolutely agree!

Pondoro
10-23-2013, 12:57 AM
I'm gonna agree with all the people who said "two or more", I like to socialize. But then I have to admit I drove 8 hours and camped to see UOGB, and that was just a concert, so I don't rule out doing the same for some specific opportunity.

But I think anyone who promotes an event with rental costs and needs to break even should not count on people driving long distances for a one-day event.

teruterubouzu
10-23-2013, 01:18 AM
One day if it is targeted at locals. I know I would find it more challenging to go to a two-day festival in my city because it would be harder to get away from my typical obligations. If I'm traveling somewhere, then 2 days seems ideal, with maybe an optional Friday opening event for folks that can get into town earlier.

sugengshi
10-23-2013, 04:18 AM
I would prefer at least two days. Even for local, it is the best chance to socialize and to learn from each other.

NewKid
10-23-2013, 04:34 AM
2.5 days Mike! Socializing and jamming. UWC is the best and I know Mainland sponsors the event but I wouldn't mind having a big ukulele bazaar there too with lots of vendors and instruments to try out.

hoosierhiver
10-23-2013, 05:03 AM
2.5 days Mike! Socializing and jamming. UWC is the best and I know Mainland sponsors the event but I wouldn't mind having a big ukulele bazaar there too with lots of vendors and instruments to try out.

UWC will never become a commercial event.

OldePhart
10-23-2013, 11:28 AM
UWC will never become a commercial event.

Yay! I gotta admit this thread had me a touch worried. I don't think of UWC as a "festival" as such - more like an extended family reunion. :)

John

sukie
10-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Yay! I gotta admit this thread had me a touch worried. I don't think of UWC as a "festival" as such - more like an extended family reunion. :)

John
I think that too.

-- and where have you been, John? --

ukemunga
10-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Somehow in my gut I just KNEW you weren't talking about UWC! And I'm glad.

2 days with an "arrive-early" option.

hoosierhiver
10-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Ha!, no this is not UWC related at all. Mostly just curious, but have lately thought about a winter fest, since there seems to be a 6 month gap where there aren't any festivals.

ralphk
10-24-2013, 02:14 AM
Given that I live a fair distance from any likely uke festival, the kind of program offered by the Tampa group seems best for my needs. Given the travel and the need for a motel/hotel, I find that the $$/day aspect factor favors multiple day festivals.

A hotel, with convention accommodations, seems better than the alternatives since everyone can be central and socializing and jams are better when everyone is in a closed environment. Such a facility has the capability for workshop rooms as well as banquets and concert capability.

OldePhart
10-24-2013, 07:07 AM
I think that too.

-- and where have you been, John? --

Crazy, crazy, busy. Every time I think it's going to taper off some they throw a new mess at me to fix. I guess it's better to have too much work than too little, but I hardly get a breath, anymore. I still make time to strum a bit each evening but most of my day is nose to the monitor.

How busy have I been? I bought a new motorcycle two months ago and it doesn't have 200 miles on it yet... :(

John