One day or two day festival?

One day isn't enough.

It's a fine line. One day is nice and compact, and allows you to spend the entire day just focused on one thing.

However, if you spread it over two days, in terms of audience, you open yourself up to the possibility of more people. You can have some/most/all of the same workshops on both days, but you will have people that went to Workshop A at the 10am slot on Saturday have the ability to go to Workshop B at the same time on Sunday. Also, people that would spend the premium for a two-day pass may not feel as overwhelmed as they would with one day (as in, they don't have to be at the festival site the entire day).

Presumably people would be more inclined to travel further for a 2 day as opposed to a 1 day, right?

I would think so.
And I also look at the line-up of performers.

For me, socializing is a lot of it. The one day events (Michigan's own Mighty Uke Day included) don't allow enough time for getting to know other ukers.

Presumably people would be more inclined to travel further for a 2 day as opposed to a 1 day, right?

You'd think so, but we met a number of people that came from California for the Mufest, specifically for Aaron Keim's Clawhammer class.

I wouldn't travel far for a one day festival.

Actually, I prefer the "open" format of UWC - show up sometime during the week and leave sometime after Saturday... LOL

John

For Uke New Jresey! this year, we went with 1+ days. We started out on Friday evening with a movie and a concert and then had a full day of workshops and socializing on Saturday culminating in another concert Saturday evening.

At our regular Spring and Fall Folk Festivals, we start on Friday evening with a concert and go all day and night Saturday and Sunday morning finishing up with a Sunday afternoon concert. Three concerts, workshops all day Saturday and all Sunday morning, open mics and virtually non-stop jamming. We hold these at a YMCA camp so everybody gets to sleep over and all meals are included.

I'm not quite ready to go that route for Uke New Jersey! yet, but the thought is floating through my head.

Interestingly, my plan to integrate Uke players into The Folk Project membership seems to be working out just fine. There were a fair number of Ukes present at our Fall Festival last weekend and we expect many more in the spring (we've booked Victoria Vox for Spring Festival and will likely have someone else to do Uke workshops as well).

I'll be watching this thread closely as I'm ready to start planning Uke New Jersey Too! for next Labor Day weekend.

Scooter

I would think so.
And I also look at the line-up of performers.

Definitely would go further for a two day fest as it's worth booking overnight accommodation. 1 day needs to be fairly close so you can get there and get home in reasonable time.

Performer line up doesn't worry me too much. I look for participation opportunities; workshops, jams, open mics etc.

I thoroughly enjoyed Mufest on Saturday but I did leave a little early for the 90 minute drive home. Extra day or even half day would require overnight stay. Next year for sure.
Ed.

Our UkeFest VIRGINIA is Friday night and all day/evening Saturday. This works for us. Enough time for concerts, workshops, open mic, jams, etc. and gives the vendors time to make sales. Also give enough time for a variety of performers.

(by the way, join us November 1-2 at The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen, near Richmond, Va. We are super excited to have Ken Middleton and the Beloffs and others)

Hmm... The Tamapa Bay Ukulele Gataway is that same weekend :) First weekend in November every year.

We do a 3 day-ish event.

http://www.tampabayukulele.com/schedule.html

Friday evening is a free to all, With a Local talent concert, where members of the Tamap Bay Ukulele Society get to showcase our well, talents, there is a led beginners jam and then jams till late into the night.

Saturday is 4 workshops given by the featured artists, (and they are set up so you get to go to all 4) lunch, bonus workshops, and that evening is the concert with the featured artists, and then... jams till the cows come home!

Sunday are more led jam sessions, and the luau lunh buffet. and jams.

We make it so, if you can only make it for Saturday, you get the meat of the experiance, and if you can only do 2 of the three you still get a lot of Uking in! Of course the vendors are there all three days!

It's worked for three years now and this years looks to be AWESOME!.

Hope to see some of you there!

Last edited:
What are people's thoughts on one day versus two day festivals?

If an one day festival was close to me, I would go to it. If I need to travel far for the festival, I would want it to last at least 2 days.
I like the idea of 2 day festivals more though. Just because you get to spend more time with awesome ukulele people. :D

2 at the minimum!! 3 would be better.

For the Milwaukee Ukulele Fest, a one-day festival, a bunch of us booked a big cabin for the first four years and stayed there on Friday. It ends up being a two-day festival if you do it like that, albeit unofficially.

For me, it doesn't matter too much, as the only reason I go to festivals is to socialize and jam.

Top Bottom