String softness question

FiddlerGA

Reaction score
I just ordered my beginners ukulele from MGM, a Kala Concert KA-C which seemed a reasonable compromise as a starter instrument. MGM puts the Aquila Nylgut strings on them and from my reading they appear to be on the softer side (i.e. easier on the fingers) than some others.

My question is in ranking strings as being easiest on the fingers a 1 and toughest on the fingers a 3, how do the popular strings rate? I have some issues with injuries to fingertips and need to use soft strings but want to find a compromise with good tone and projection.

Thanks for all suggestions.

I had Aquila strings on my tenor, and took them off because I wanted a mellower sound, so I installed Worth Browns on it. The strings were much rougher on my fingertips (which are not yet calloused enough from playing). I ended up putting the Aquilas back on just because they felt easier to play, and much softer. I'm certainly not an expert, but they did seem decidedly less sharp on my fingertips.

i have daddarios from the uu store on my soprano and they are pretty easy on the fingers too

I think the Aquilias are bit larger in diameter, so they may be easier on you fingers.

I think diameter is a facotr on finger wear. One time I put .009s on by father inlaws acoustic to help him play and he said thery were harder on his finger than the .012's I took off.

Nylon strings are usually the softest. I have used worth mediums and they are definately thinner than the Aquilia's. I'd try the worth Browns or Kaloua golds. Both are soft.

I bought a set of Pro Arte Concerts, the ones listed here at the UU store, and found them to be very smooth and easy on the digits. I can honestly say that they are the best strings I've ever felt. I like to rub them across my face:D

I bought a set of Pro Arte Concerts, the ones listed here at the UU store, and found them to be very smooth and easy on the digits. I can honestly say that they are the best strings I've ever felt. I like to rub them across my face:D

I also have the D'Addarios Porte Arte Concerts strings for my Kala KA-SC. I found them also to be easy on the fingers too. I also have to say that they are the best strings...

I've used Aquila Nylgut and Worth medium and light tension strings. I prefer the Worths for comfort, but find they're a bit more painful if I'm playing my Fluke which has a plastic fretboard.

wound C

Hi,
I'm quite new with ukulele and in my country almost noone knows this instrument, but I ordered one on the ebay. It's a tenor one. I saw on youtube, that some of the uke players have plain/nylon C string, and I like the idea better, than the wound C, so I ordered a four set of nylon stringsets. But finally every set has a wound C. I know, that the sopran has a plain C string. Should I order sopran string sets, or there are tenor string sets with plain C? (In my country I can get no help in an instrument store, in this case.)
Thank you
Arpad

Hi,...Should I order soprano string sets, or there are tenor string sets with plain C?
In many cases, it is not the C string but the G (closest to your face when holding the uke) that is wound (but only for low-G tuning). For instance, Aquila has a wound G-string in their low-G tenor set. Worth provides their plain strings (fluorocarbon) for the low G-string as well.
But assuming you have a high-G setup, most sets should not include a wound string. Aquila, Worth, Hilo, D'Addario, you name it.
What strings did you get with the wound C?

I got
"Ko'olau Ukulele gold Tenor 4 string wound 3rd/C"
"Hilo strings Tenor 4-string set 3rd / mid C wound string"
"Kala red ukulele strings Tenor High G aluminium wound C"
and I have a D'addario set on the uke, wich also has a wound C.
So the tuning is high G, and also originally when I got the ukulele there was wound C on it. I ordered from musicguymic, and in his netshop, I didn't find any stringsets containing plain C. Maybe I didnt check it well enought... I don't know. I was trying. But now I want to be shure. Can you offer a seller?:eek:

The tenor sets listed are all with wound C string. Either purchase separate sets with no wound string, or email MGM about putting a non wound tenor set sampler together for you.

Top Bottom