The darned blasted pinky mute :)

cashew

Reaction score
Odd question, and this one is mainly for the girls or those with kinda smaller hands-- but all hands are good hands and can answer :)

If you can pinky mute, how long did it take you to figure out? I keep feeling like if the pinky goes down to hit all 4 strings, my other fingers will come up-- like theres just not enough finger... Is this just an occasion where I should hunker down and practice more? Anyone have any good descriptive techniques if that's the case?

--Nut

Aldrine talked about the pinky mute in his live lessons... can't remember which one, so you're gonna hafta watch them ALL.

But he said that certain chords are rough on the pinky mute and you have to rotate your fretting hand to actually achieve it. I have massively long fingers yet certain chords seemed impossible, but with a small twist of the wrist, I was pinky-muting with maximum righteousness:music:

All seriousness aside, check out the archives of his live lessons.

i had trouble with the pinkie mute at first too...some chords were easy to pinkie mute while others i always messed up, just due to the natural position your hand takes when fretting the chord. like pinkie muting a Bd to me is pretty easy because due to your hand position your pinkie hovers over the whole fretboard. but when you fret a C for example, i would always miss muting the g string just because of how my pinkie was hovering over the strings. i found it easier to pinkie mute if i moved my thumb on my fret hand. usually when i play i keep my fret hand thumb pretty much in the center of the backside of the neck. but if i'm playing a song that involves pinkie muting i move my thumb position more to the side of the neck closest to the floor. if that makes sense. i find that it puts my hand in a position that i can more easily cover all of the strings with my pinkie mute

Wasn't there a uke minutes on it??? I dno if there was, just going off memory

I had a problem with it too, mainly because the darn finger barely reaches over the strings. Now my only problem is that sometimes, in my effort to reach all of the strings, i get the A string a little too hard, and it makes unwanted sound...

*EDIT*

And if it's not occupied, I sometimes use my ring or pointer finger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom