Almost a NUD, Boat Paddle tenor just about complete.

hammer40

Reaction score
I have a Boat Paddle tenor cutaway uke that is just about complete. The build is finished and it's now in the finishing stage, so another 3 weeks for the lacquer finish.

This is my first custom, so it was pretty exciting, and surprisingly difficult, to be able to choose whatever I wanted. I guess once you're "the kid in the candy store" its tough to decide what will satisfy your sweet tooth.

I decided to go with Boat Paddle for a few reasons, one is that I loved the design of his M style uke. Second, was that every review or comment that I could find about Boat Paddle was very positive. Third, I thought it would be nice to support someone being somewhat regionally close to me, I'm outside Chicago, and he is outside St. Louis.

I mentioned his M style uke, but ended up choosing a different style tenor I saw on his website. It's a newer design for him, his version of a traditional cutaway. I liked the fact that it was 12 frets as well, with the cutaway giving access to higher frets if needed. I just loved the lines of this uke, the asymmetrical design really caught my eye, so I decided to go with it instead. Hey, I can always get an M style next time around.

We exchanged e-mails and phone calls, but it was difficult for me to decide what I wanted by seeing pictures alone. I saw that he was only 400 miles away, so I figured I would just drive down and check things out. I hopped on my bike and drove down for a visit and to choose the woods for my uke.

I have to say Jerry was extremely patient with me. I took up a lot of his time that day (several hours), he even let me go through all his wood to find what I liked. He of course offered his expertise and knowledge as we mixed and matched things along the way. He is very easy and accommodating to work with, for any future or potential customers.

In the end I chose:
Kamagong Ebony for the back and sides (upgraded)
Kamagong Ebony for the Fretboard (radiused), bridge, Peg head overlay, heel cap (all matching)
Red Spruce sound board (upgraded)
Flamed Maple for the neck, the body binding and the sound hole binding
Perfling is all bwb with perfling around the sound hole to match the body, in lieu of a rosette.

Basically, I wanted a two tone (black/white) look and I think I achieved exactly what was in my head. I think the gloss finish will really make it pop, can't wait to see it finished.

Gorgeous! I absolutely love it.

That really looks like a work of art. Someday I hope to get a Boat Paddle tenor myself. I love my BP 12 fret concert.

Gorgeous looking ukulele. As you might know, I just took delivery of my Boat Paddle Kayak Tenor last week. Jerry's workmanship is excellent. Take nothing away from the accuracy of the intonation as well as its killer sustain. Jerry's creation for me is probably one of the best sounding instrument that I've heard in a long time and it so happens to be mine. This brand new baby sounds every bit as mature and open as my pre 1940 Martin 12 fret tenor. And Jerry has assured me that it will only continue to improve. I can only imagine how yours will sound. You've got a beautiful uke there....there should be no buyers remorse. As my Kayak has turned into my "go to" instrument; so it will with yours.

Aloha and keep on strumming

Gorgeous looking ukulele. As you might know, I just took delivery of my Boat Paddle Kayak Tenor last week. Jerry's workmanship is excellent. Take nothing away from the accuracy of the intonation as well as its killer sustain. Jerry's creation for me is probably one of the best sounding instrument that I've heard in a long time and it so happens to be mine. This brand new baby sounds every bit as mature and open as my pre 1940 Martin 12 fret tenor. And Jerry has assured me that it will only continue to improve. I can only imagine how yours will sound. You've got a beautiful uke there....there should be no buyers remorse. As my Kayak has turned into my "go to" instrument; so it will with yours.

Aloha and keep on strumming

Yes, I have seen your uke in person, it was in the shop still being built the day that I visited. Since I had selected a flamed Maple for my neck as well, we used yours to compare my wood choices to. I guess I got to see your uke before you did...lol

This is so lovely! The uke looks like a Dali creation.
Is yours a 5-string? If not, do try his 5-string in future. Jerry's famous for his 5-string ukuleles.

No, it's not a 5-string. Sounds interesting, maybe something worth trying sometime.

I love the shape of the body, and how the fretboard and headstock match. Very cool!

Yes, I have seen your uke in person, it was in the shop still being built the day that I visited. Since I had selected a flamed Maple for my neck as well, we used yours to compare my wood choices to. I guess I got to see your uke before you did...lol

You guys are sooooo lucky to live so close to Jerry. It would be a major production for me to take a trip for a visit from So Cal. But I will do it sometime in the near future....gotta meet the maker of my beauty. Just maybe it will be to pick up another one of his creation. lol:drool:

Top Bottom