PDA

View Full Version : WTB Pono or Mainland

gman820
10-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Hi all, I posted not long ago looking for a midrange concert, but for whatever reason wasn't able to pull the trigger on anything. I am looking for a pono or mainland concert. I could maybe go for a tenor. I have heard so much good stuff about the pono and mainland that I gotta get my hands on one. I am especially interested in a mainland without the rope purfing as I'm not a huge fan of that aspect. Thanks!

PhilUSAFRet
10-22-2013, 01:14 AM
These two ukes have very different tonal characteristics. Here are some comparisons for you to consider before making a choice.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mainland+vs+pono+ukulele&oq=mainland+vs+pono+ukulele&gs_l=youtube.3...1346.5749.0.5878.24.20.0.4.4.0.87 .1296.20.20.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.Nx7XxAimJ3M

steel rider
10-22-2013, 06:48 AM
These two ukes have very different tonal characteristics. Here are some comparisons for you to consider before making a choice.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mainland+vs+pono+ukulele&oq=mainland+vs+pono+ukulele&gs_l=youtube.3...1346.5749.0.5878.24.20.0.4.4.0.87 .1296.20.20.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.Nx7XxAimJ3M

I'm looking at the same. Will male a drive to San Jose hopefully this week to try them side by side. So far Mainland is in the lead because I can buy local, trade in some other music equipment, get it with the pickup for less than the standard Pono, and I happen to love my Mainland soprano.
But if a Pono "speaks to me" I can be swayed. It would have to speak pretty sweetly though.

A.H.
10-23-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm thinking about selling my Pono MT (tenor) with an Uke Crazy Hard Case gig bag if either of you are interested. Bought it from MIM's about 7 months ago, is set up perfectly, and I just put on D'Addario T2 strings. PM me if interested.

gman820
10-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the YouTube link, I really like both of them when I hear them, different but good. That's why I figured I'd go for either or.

PhilUSAFRet
10-24-2013, 01:02 AM
IMHO, the Pono has a fuller sound, the Mainland perhaps a little sweeter. Differences in neck too I think. Here's one to throw into the mix.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?87930-Islander-MST-4-Solid-Mahogany-Tenor-by-Kanile-a

steel rider
10-24-2013, 06:14 AM
gman I hope you contacted A.H. He has a sweat deal. I decided to go with a new Acacia so you should be in line to jump on this one man.

gman820
10-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Nice! And ya, I know I'm very tempted, it's just I was hoping to spend my money on a concert since I won't be able to get another for a while.

steel rider
10-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Nice! And ya, I know I'm very tempted, it's just I was hoping to spend my money on a concert since I won't be able to get another for a while.

So you want to buy something very specific but you want it pre-owned. :) That's a bit of a challenge. What about contacting Mainland to see if he has any seconds/blems, or getting on the list for one? He's very cool and very responsive to emails.

gman820
10-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Well I have an old uke I'm using, so I'm not rushing. I figured I would post and see if something popped up so I could save some money. But as a matter of fact I did email mike last night, so I think I may go for a blem of the one I want. Thanks

bonesigh
10-25-2013, 03:42 AM
PONO MODEL PC ALL SOLID MAHOGANY CONCERT UKULELE This must be a limited model for I can't find an exact picture of it online. The rosette is not mop but a different kind of wood. I'm considering selling this model. I got it from butlermusic ebay. There were condition issues that are now fixed. Two barely visible cracks on the back that are now stabilized and a bridge that had been re-attached askew which I have straightened. Has a slight mark near the bridge from where it was placed wrong. I can send pictures and sound samples if you are interested. It's a nice sounding uke now but I'm into cut away ukes and I'm ready to sell most of my ukes to be able to afford a custom (: I'm not really sure what to ask for it. I'm thinking 350 (: I'll be out of town for a couple of days.