question/help in regards to my new konablaster baritone uke

iamesperambient

Reaction score
ok...i ordered my konablaster and fedex said it should be here tomorrow. I love linear tuning (im also a guitarist) but i'm considering messing around with it in reentrant tuning also. But the problem is i have no idea how to string it to do such things. Basically now all i need to do is buy electric guitar strings and leave off the E and A strings and i'm done. what gauges would i need to be able to set up GCEA tuning with the konablaster baritone?

I went with the baritone because I do enjoy the DGBE sound and wanted more fret room and bass. If blue star had made a tenor i would have probably gone with that instead but i'm happy with my purchase (very happy). Anyway if anyone has any tips let me know thanks1

With a scale of that length, it may not be possible to tune it in regular GCEA tuning as a ukulele. The strings may be too thin.
What you can do is tune it to GCEA one octave low, which gives you a rather bassy instrument.

Otherwise, on your DGBE tuned Konablaster, use a capo at the 5th fret, that will also give you GCEA (and allow you to switch back n forth).

With guitar strings, what I did was do a bit of trial and error. You can predict what gauge strings will allow what tuning.
As we're already dealing with an experimental instrument, your guess is as good as anybody's. There aren't textbook answers to an instrument that doesn't exist in textbooks.

I think an electric ukulele would sound quite good as DGBE, re-entrant D.
The high D just needs to be a slightly thicker string than the E string.

For an octave GCEA tuning, you have two options..
-Find a heavy/medium gauge "BARITONE GUITAR" string set, and see if the GCEA strings out of that set will work.

-Just use the EADG strings out of a regular electric guitar set, see how you like the tension.

Just be careful not to let the strings become too tight, they may snap or put too much pressure on the wooden neck.

Last edited:
With a scale of that length, it may not be possible to tune it in regular GCEA tuning as a ukulele. The strings may be too thin.
What you can do is tune it to GCEA one octave low, which gives you a rather bassy instrument.

Otherwise, on your DGBE tuned Konablaster, use a capo at the 5th fret, that will also give you GCEA (and allow you to switch back n forth).

With guitar strings, what I did was do a bit of trial and error. You can predict what gauge strings will allow what tuning.
As we're already dealing with an experimental instrument, your guess is as good as anybody's. There aren't textbook answers to an instrument that doesn't exist in textbooks.

-Find a heavy/medium gauge "BARITONE GUITAR" string set, and see if the GCEA strings out of that set will work.

-Just use the EADG strings out of a regular electric guitar set, see how you like the tension.

Just be careful not to let the strings become too tight, they may snap or put too much pressure on the wooden neck.

the capo idea sounds best to get the uke standard sound i think i will do that. but also the idea of a re-entrant D string sounds great too how would i go about that one? im a bit confused how to set that up i think that may be something to try in the future. Thanks for all yuour help!

actually one more quick question for you since your basically the expert on this
what actually defines a tenor and baritone uke scale wise?
im assuming anything over 22" scale than would be automatically considered a tenor guitar?

Tenor scale is approximately 17" and baritone scale is approximately 19"-20".

You can take a set of guitar strings and put the DGBE strings on a baritone and tune it to GCEA with no problems. Depending on how taut you like your strings, lighter gage strings will have less tension while heavier gage strings will have higher tension. You can experiment to find your preference.

Tenor scale is approximately 17" and baritone scale is approximately 19"-20".

You can take a set of guitar strings and put the DGBE strings on a baritone and tune it to GCEA with no problems. Depending on how taut you like your strings, lighter gage strings will have less tension while heavier gage strings will have higher tension. You can experiment to find your preference.

I know what tenor uke scale is im talking about tenor guitar....im trying to find what the defining difference is between a baritone ukulele scale and a tenor guitar. being this konablaster is 22" inch and i see tenor guitar's usually at 23" im going to assume anything above 22" automatically is considered a guitar not a ukulele.

The general rule for scale length is baritone uke = 19-20" and tenor guitar = 23", but there are exceptions - Regal, Supertone, etc. made short-scale tenor guitars at 21" (as do Ozark and Fletcher today), for example. It's better to think of scale length as more of a guideline than a strict borderline, to be combined with other factors (tuning, steel vs. nylon strings, target market, etc.) in making the distinction, and even then it can overlap. Rob Dick of Jupiter Creek instruments used to sell his 20-24" scale steel string solid body electrics using both terms.

As for the Konablaster, the scale length is more in the tenor guitar range, but they're clearly marketing it as a bari uke. How about "long scale electric baritone ukulele"? Ultimately you can call it what you want, and tune it how you want, within the limits of physics.

The general rule for scale length is baritone uke = 19-20" and tenor guitar = 23", but there are exceptions - Regal, Supertone, etc. made short-scale tenor guitars at 21" (as do Ozark and Fletcher today), for example. It's better to think of scale length as more of a guideline than a strict borderline, to be combined with other factors (tuning, steel vs. nylon strings, target market, etc.) in making the distinction, and even then it can overlap. Rob Dick of Jupiter Creek instruments used to sell his 20-24" scale steel string solid body electrics using both terms.

As for the Konablaster, the scale length is more in the tenor guitar range, but they're clearly marketing it as a bari uke. How about "long scale electric baritone ukulele"? Ultimately you can call it what you want, and tune it how you want, within the limits of physics.

ok that explanation makes sense to me. I'm going to try and post a video tonight using it clean, and with some effects to demo it. it doesnt appear to be any videos of the baritone on youtube and i found only 2 of the soprano. I like that the scale is large it allows me to experiment more. I may end up saving for the soprano version too in the future but im wondering if it's worth it being i could just capo it. Maybe i should just save my money and get a risa (which would prob take me a year of saving at this rate it took me 2 months to save for this konablaster).

Top Bottom