Electric ukulele kits

Which would you prefer: tenor or concert electric kit?

• Tenor

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Concert

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I am thinking of putting these together based on my uklectic and wondered what your thoughts would be... concert or tenor?

They would comprise of a body with cap of your choice machined (koa, birdseye maple, quilted maple, curly oak, myrtle burr - loads to chose from), neck profiled - slotted headstock an option, fingerboard in need of profile, fretwire, passive piezo with switchjack type endpin jack socket, cover-plate and screws. You would need to provide tuners and finish. Active pickup version also available. I'll try and put together a better image next week

Just to nitpick a bit Hoosierhiver, but I think the word "serious" in this context implies that folks who do not prefer to play tenor scale are not quite as dedicated to playing or performing as tenor players.:p

I play concerts and sopranos and I'm pretty dang serious about it....

I think what Mike means is people who get paid for playing - it's a term we use in the industry. Oddly enough, serious players eschew bling and want the instruments we builders love to make - plain and loud players :rock:

For me i would go with a Tenor! but great idea!

I understood that. :)
I was just trying to facetiously (note emoticon) point out that he was reinforcing a stereotype that tenor is the only size for performance. It's the "scale you graduate to" when you really get serious and other such claptrap that infects people's perceptions and abounds even on this board.

I also believe that if influential folks like Jake Shimabukuro were a concert players we might be having a different discussion...

Ah. You mean like me. On my sopranos.

*cough* Owned. ;)

Haha but in all seriousness, I really hate that assumption as well. "Oh you don't use a tenor? Well you must just be a recreational player then." Well I just got done giving a uke demo in which I played a few songs and taught some kids about the uke. And in that demo I used a soprano and by some kids I mean over 200. :D

/rant

As for the electric situation, I'd rather a concert. Great size, and I'd love an electric that sized. Keep us posted Pete! :D

I think we all know what Pete and Mike are talking about. I doubt they meant to put down anyone who uses a concert or soprano. They just mean that the tenor seems to be most popular with todays most prominant ukulele players. Jake, Aldrine, James Hill, etc. We all know though that if Aldrine switched to concert, he wouldn't lose any fans. So I don't think there's a stigma or assumption.

Pete, my personal preference would be tenor, although it is a tough choice because I love my concert as well.

My current instrument of choice is a concert - only because I had to let my cherrylele soprano go... For years I had a tenor. I don't mind which it is - I mean, there doesn't appear to be any video footage of Roy Smeck playing a tenor?

ten-or ftw!!

Top Bottom