The ideal practise uke?

pakhan

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I was chilling out, playing some ukes with my friend recently, and we go to chatting about an ideal practise uke- one which you would be bringing out and practising on.

So we thought it would have to be rugged, relatively cheap and portable... at the same time, something sounding good enough you would want to play too!

How about you guys? What would you consider as an ideal practise uke?

For me the ideal practise uke is my Islander AC-4. Quite cheap, laminated, but great playability and sound. And it looks gorgeous! :D

My ideal practice uke is actually the one that I regularly jam with and in future gig with. It makes sense for the player to be very familiar with the instrument he's going to perform with, right? However, when my family members ban me from playing my regular practice uke in their presence or at night (my playing must be really bad :( ) my solidbody electric Eleuke Jazz became my practice uke.

Last edited:
Hmmm, seems to have worked out that I have my KPK sitting next to my LaZboy in the living room, and my Pono is hanging from the music stand directly behind my computer chair. Buuuut, if I had to pick a specific practice uke, it would be a Kala travel uke......any excuse to buy a new one.

Concert neck Flea at the office. At home I bust out the KoAloha or KoAlana.

I've got a Kiwaya KS-0P that fits the bill---it's a well-constructed, very light laminate uke with a terrific voice. Plays and sounds great, too. It's become my travel uke, my riding-in-the-car uke, my going-to-a-party uke, my playing-for-a-couple-minutes-at-work uke, my knock-around uke, etc. Love it.

I think the OP is really asking about a good "beater" uke - one you wouldn't mind getting scratched up. But I think what happens with these "beaters" is that they soon become the uke of choice for every occasion.

My buddy's high end uke is being repaired so he picked up a Makala Dolphin on an impulse buy and boy does he love that thing!

I take all my ukes everywhere. That's why I have them.

Last edited:
Who practices? I just play. :) Maybe that's why I am a mediocre player?

Practice with the best playing/sounding uke you got.

I have five ukes all about equal in configuration and quality, so I rotate them every couple of days based on the day I meet with my groups; the CC Strummers on Monday afternoon and Thursday morning, the Westside Ukulele Ensemble every other Tuesday evening.

Last edited:
I agree with Tootler, I tend to practice with the uke for the song. That said, I take my Fender to work with me everyday. It sounds and plays well enough and although I think it's lovely and nice, it's not priceless to me and if it gets stolen or damaged, I won't cry over it. My Kala Acacia Tenor... that's another story, I rarely leave the house with it unless I'm playing live.

I own seven instruments,six ukuleles and one Banjo-Ukulele.
I have found that certain songs just sound 'right' or 'better'
on certain ones,so I use that instrument to play that song!

I try to rotate through my inventory just to keep all that wood vibrating. Having said that, i do play a couple more than the others because they are my favorites.

I play my CR for hours every day, but by your practice uke criteria it would be my tenor flea. I never worry about my flea uke. Just grab it and play whenever and it is always out of the case, and standing up. Don't care if it gets dirty,raining,kids use it,etc.

Would always rather "practice" on my DaSilva koa concert on Koaloha Tenor, but they if they are in the case then I pick up my Koamoa Tenor, Cordoba concert, Bushman tenor, or Mainland tenor stationed at different parts of the house...living room, family room; even have one hung in the kitchen!
Pix upon request...

Top Bottom