why double G string?

tangimango

Reaction score
ive seen many profesional players with two G stings on there ukulele. the rest CEA are single set.
most of the time high G on top and a Low G on the bottom. basically octave apart. sometimes double of the same string.

just curious, is there a reason for this?

different sound? playing style? being able to have the option of using the high or low G by the songs they play on hand?

or they just dont want to carry around two ukuleles one with Low G and reentrant?

Must be more popular on the Island than the Mainland. I have a 6 string tenor for a combination of simplicity and sound. I have a c/C setup instead of the g/G on the 5 strings. I prefer it over an 8 (although if I got a good enough deal on a sweet sounding 8 string, I'd snatch it, lol)

Bosko (from Bosko & Honey) has a very cool 5 string uke.

hqdefault.jpg

The paired strings are placed with a distance that allows them to be played as a pair or just one of them.

thanks for that. I agree with you there. when the G/g is strummed together it makes a beautiful sound. plus you get the option to use it separately if skilled enough. but together it goes very well.

wondering if I can just add a slot on the nut to add a low G on a current 4 string ukulele?

I'm not a professional player, but I have a 5-string uke. The reason I bought this was to have the best of both worlds--to be able to play high-G and low-G on one single uke. However, realistically, it requires great concentration to fingerpick high G and low G separately, so sometimes I just pick both strings together. Strumming-wise, the 5 strings give a very rich tone--very, very beautiful.

There are 6-strings and 8-strings available which should give off richer tones, but for the moment, I prefer 5-strings. One reason the uke is so popular is due to its simplicity of having only 4 strings. So the 5-strings provide me with the convenience of a high G and low G, rich tone and simplicity--the best of 4 worlds.

there are several 5 strings. I see a ton of them from Boat Paddle for the most part (I have one)
I love it since I get the best of both worlds. the low G just adds a missing bass while the high is what I want to hear.
Oscar Schmidt has a 5 string too.

I just watch your youtube vid :)

this one was cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imTtnqkjyKo

there are several 5 strings. I see a ton of them from Boat Paddle for the most part (I have one)
I love it since I get the best of both worlds. the low G just adds a missing bass while the high is what I want to hear.

An affordable 5 String Uke is the Ohana tk35g-5 I got one direct from Mim.

You can check out my quick overview of it here.... I'm able to pick either g, or strum them together...

My Boat Paddle is a 5 string as well, and I really like it. Just out of curiosity, I strung mine up recently with unison G strings (instead of the octaved ones), and I like the sound. It's a little louder, but has a nice shimmer to it (from the unison strings).

An affordable 5 String Uke is the Ohana tk35g-5 I got one direct from Mim.

You can check out my quick overview of it here.... I'm able to pick either g, or strum them together...

Another vote for the Ohana, I played the prototype a few years ago and was impressed enough to buy one.

Top Bottom