Chromatic Tuner?

Edgeguy

Reaction score
I play both guitar and Uke and I am in the market for a new tuner. So, what is the difference of a Uke chromatic tuner vs a guitar chromatic tuner? They both should work on the other instrument. Is one more sensitive to its designated instrument than the other? Here are the specs for the new Korg pitchhawk tuner I am considering.

Guitar
Range (sine wave): Chromatic: A0 (27.50 Hz) - C8 (4,186 Hz)
Guitar: B1 flat5 (46.25 Hz) – E4 capo7 (493.88 Hz)
Bass: B0 flat5 (23.12 Hz) – C3 (130.81 Hz)

Uke
Range (sine wave): Chromatic: A0 (27.50 Hz) - C8 (4,186 Hz)
C TUNING: LG (196.00 Hz) – HC (523.25 Hz)
D TUNING: LA (220.00 Hz) – HD (587.33 Hz)
BARITONE: 4D (146.83 Hz) – HG (392.00 Hz)

both are +/- 1 cent

Thanks Lane

A chromatic tuner should have no problem at all with ANY instrument, as long as long as what you're tuning to fits the range of the tuner. Usually some of the headstock tuners will have "presets" in addition, which really just look for those tunings (as in, a Ukulele preset would only have gCEA and Guitar preset would have EADGBE).

Besides, given the price point of many of these tuners, the bulk of them are probably made in the same factory so there will be a modicum of difference, if that.

EDIT: After checking into the Pitchhawk, that's exactly what they have; dedicated settings that will only register for guitar, bass, or ukulele. Either of those tuners, on the chromatic setting, will work for all of the instruments.

Last edited:
I don't know much about tuners, but I have 2 Snark Chromatics and they are the bomb for about 1/3 of the price. We use them for Uke, Guitar and Bass.

I suggest the SNARK too ... the RED one is for many instruments... I have it also for my mandolin ... and can be right even on brass (trumpet, trombone) or violin ...
so very good also for uke.

I have both the Snark sn2 and the sn6, which is supposed to be optimized for the uke. I see/hear no differences in their performance.

Top Bottom