strings for a soprano banjolele

TUMB's up

Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to know if a standard soprano Aquila set will fit for banjolele soprano...
the reason for I'm asking is because in future I could consider the idea to restring it with a SOPRANO AQUILA SET tuned in fifth G D A E
like a mandolin ( I play mandolin ... but I don't want at all a nasty mandolin banjo ... I prefeer sweet nylon strings and single ones)

somewhere I read that the soprano set should be too short for the way the strings are locked to the body of the banjolele ( at the end of the rim) ....
so...

can I put a soprano set on a soprano banjolele? :uhoh:

bah .... I wonder why on a forum people was giving advice to buy the concert strings for a soprano banjolele saying that the soprano ones where short....
that was the reason I asked in this forum because I think in Ukulele Underground there are many more experts in ukes :D

I put some on my soprano banjo uke. Sounds decent, but 4th string rings like a bell over the others. Folks recommend concert size Aquila strings because allegedly, they are closer to the diameter of Aquila banjo ukulele strings.

I put some on my soprano banjo uke. Sounds decent, but 4th string rings like a bell over the others. Folks recommend concert size Aquila strings because allegedly, they are closer to the diameter of Aquila banjo ukulele strings.

so...you say it's more a matter of diameter than lenght?
... sorry 4 the question: I haven't got a uke yet: the 4th ringing string that you said is the hi G one or the A?
now I wonder what could happen with the set G D A E
... I'm worried about it...

A preacher was talking about individual preferences and had just remarked how glad he was that everyone did not feel about his wife as he did, or many people would want to be married to her. A member of the congregation gave him a hearty AMEN, and said that he agreed about individual preferences, because if everyone felt about the preacher's wife like he did, then nobody would want to be married to her. The same thing runs true with ukulele strings. I have the GDAE sets in the red version. You did not mention the diameter of the head, or what is the length of string you need. What brand and model are you getting. The questions answered will enable me to check inventory to see what will fit.

It is something you should determine for yourself when you get it. Consider it as a journey and relax and enjoy it. Some people like changes, and some do not.

Last edited:
A preacher was talking about individual preferences and had just remarked how glad he was that everyone did not feel about his wife as he did, or many people would want to be married to her. A member of the congregation gave him a hearty AMEN, and said that he agreed about individual preferences, because if everyone felt about the preacher's wife like he did, then nobody would want to be married to her. The same thing runs true with ukulele strings. I have the GDAE sets in the red version. You did not mention the diameter of the head, or what is the length of string you need. What brand and model are you getting. The questions answered will enable me to check inventory to see what will fit.

It is something you should determine for yourself when you get it. Consider it as a journey and relax and enjoy it. Some people like changes, and some do not..
Hi, thanks for reply....I wrote the ukes I was thinking about ...so you can see if the models match G D A E
I'd like most the Anuenue
http://www.anuenue-uke.com/html_version/#frame_ukulele_23or
and for second choice (I think) this one:
Kala KA-BNJ-BK-S 6 inch Banjolele Banjo Ukulele Soprano
http://www.kalabrand.com/Models/Kala/Banjo/DetailsPageBanjo.html

Do you ever played one of those two I've linked above? I think (by opinions seen on web thar they may be good)

so...you say it's more a matter of diameter than lenght?
... sorry 4 the question: I haven't got a uke yet: the 4th ringing string that you said is the hi G one or the A?
now I wonder what could happen with the set G D A E
... I'm worried about it...

Actually, it's about proper string tension, and string diameter is directly related to that. A perusal of Southcoast Uke's String Guide will fill in a lot of blanks for you about this subject.

Actually, it's about proper string tension, and string diameter is directly related to that. A perusal of Southcoast Uke's String Guide will fill in a lot of blanks for you about this subject.

I'll try to find this guide...hoping to understand it

A few companies make a set that is graded as either/or
for soprano or concert,so extra tension or string diameter
should not be an issue. I string all of mine with Worth Brown
TENOR strings.The difference in tension/diameter?
Negligible.And I knew of four others who do the same! I can
get three soprano sets out of one packet too!

ok...I just read the Southcoast Uke's string Guide...
but there wasn't any news for banjolele soprano in G D A E ... I already knew the meaning of tension ( I was a bass player) and I know that one can't lose or tight strings as he wish without leash....generally changing the pitch more than a tone could produce too flappy or too pulled strings.
infact that's the reason why I'm asking:
if the right set for G D A E made for soprano by Aquila is ok for a banjolele soprano

A few companies make a set that is graded as either/or
for soprano or concert,so extra tension or string diameter
should not be an issue. I string all of mine with Worth Brown
TENOR strings.The difference in tension/diameter?
Negligible.And I knew of four others who do the same! I can
get three soprano sets out of one packet too!

the reason I wanted to know if a soprano set was ok for banjolele soprano is because I've seen that Aquila was making:
G D A E for soprano uke
C G D A for concert ( = it is in fifth but it's a bit different from mandolin freatboard ... mandolin is beginning with G)

I do not know much about strings brands or models ... but I've seen Aquila are very very good.

but how do you tune it---- G D A E or standard ukulele way G C E A ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom