Just lost a friend

Aloha Aaron,
Howzit Brah...I just was thinking of him this morning...so sad Aaron...he was a great friend of mine... should I spill the beans to all here?
Okay Gang, My Friend Aaron is talking about a friend who was for battling his last battle for his life....he had kidney, liver failure .....
He was a really nice guy and everyone here loved him.....He passed away this morning and is playing his ukes and bass and is in heaven now..I will miss him alot..
To many of you he may have sold you your first Ukes and or many ukes and gave you excellent advice....Rip Micheal Aratani, We will all miss you...1958- 2013
The Uke World has lost one of the giants in the ukulele movement...he certainly was one who changed how the ukulele has progressed....he will be missed greatly..my eyes are
all watered with sadness...

Last edited:
I am so saddened by this news. My heart is heavy.... He was a good, generous man, and he will be truly missed....Somehow I am sure he is making incredible music in heaven now......

I was one of those who bought his first ukes from Mike... three altogether, in fact. Mike was sort of the pied piper of ukuleles for the internet. I'm sure there are many here who owe their love of the ukulele to the attentive service Mike provided. His legacy lives on in the happiness he spread and the music he created.

Definitely sad to hear that. We will miss him for sure. Sometimes there just aren't words...and I know it has to be much worse for those of you who knew him as more than a voice on the end of a long-distance phone line.

John

My condolences to the guys on Hawaii and everyone here. He will be missed by many.

RIP my friend Mike....you will missed.....

Bought my first ukulele from you 3 years ago.. Rest in peace, Mike.

A pillar of the industry has been taken from us. Rest in peace, I am richer for having known you.

What a loss to anyone who ever met him. Wonderful soul. My condolences to all his family and friends. I'll always remember how wonderfully helpful he was to my wife and buying my first "real" uke. I'll remember him every time I play my Kala! RIP Mike!

So incredibly shocking and sad. My condolences to all who knew and worked with Mike.

He's going to give all those heavenly harp players some real competition!

I am so sorry to read this; I just talked to Mike about eight days ago. I knew he was in rough shape, but this is way too soon.

He was incredibly supportive of this mainland uke maker...

Very sad and unexpected news. Truly a big loss.

So deeply saddened to hear this news. Indeed a pillar in our community. The world is a better place for his having been here. Rest in peace....I hope we will jam again.

I'm editing this post to add that my second conversation with Mike was when he was laid up in the hospital. When his ebay biz was falling apart because of his extended hospital stay, he took the time to call me and let me know that my order would be filled as soon as he got out of the hospital. His charisma and aloha spirit came through even over the phone and I ended up ordering another uke from him right then.

I introduced myself to MGM at the 2011 Roy Sakuma Ukulele festival after recognizing his voice from our phone conversations where he was extremely helpful and patient in answering all my noobie questions. I had the opportunity to talk with him face to face about a half dozen more times and he always, always treated me like a long time friend.

Thank you for all you've done for the community we all love.

Rest in peace Michael Aratani

Last edited:
A sad day for our community. While I never met MGM on person, we would email and PM to talk about ukes. I don't think Mike ever met a stranger. He will be dearly missed.

What can we do to memorialize him?

RIP - Mike you will be sorely missed

I had the pleasure of meeting him just a couple of times. The most recent was just a few months ago when I stepped into the shop and saw him setting up a Baritone uke for a mail order customer. I had purchases a Pepe Romero Tenor from the shop the day before and returned just to chat with him again and to pick his brains for some pearls of wisdom. Aloha and again you will be sorely missed.

Top Bottom