Maccaferri-style Mustache Bridge

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I saw a Maccaferri-style Mustache Bridge on a Collings and was really taken by it. The link is:

here.

Any luthiers have positive or negative thoughts on this style bridge? Is it any better at dispersing the stress than a more traditional bridge?

Regards, Eddie

I saw a Maccaferri-style Mustache Bridge on a Collings and was really taken by it. The link is:

here.

Any luthiers have positive or negative thoughts on this style bridge? Is it any better at dispersing the stress than a more traditional bridge?

Regards, Eddie

For an arch top uke, that would be considered a tradition style floating bridge.

I think the wings on a Maccaferri were separate pieces so they probably don't add much strength. Just a decorative element

I think the wings on a Maccaferri were separate pieces so they probably don't add much strength. Just a decorative element

yep

I too love a thin bridge, moustache or otherwise.

Remember emonnier, Arched topped instruments have a WAY tighter (more curve) top dome then a 'normal' 28' uke top. This contributes to its strength and ability to withstand the downward pressure of a floating bridge/tailpiece. A uke just doesn't have enough power to move a top like that in order to generate real tone. One would get a sound, probably even a pretty cool sound, but not a resonate, harmonic, tonal rainbow like a good uke should deliver.

The original selmer/maccaferri guitar tops were actually a pyramid, which i think is the strongest shape in engineering (?????).

I think the Collings maccy uke looks better then the one I built as, like I said, I like the thin bridge look of the original, but i doubt the Collings sounds as good as mine- Having said that, they are different animals with different objectives so it is unfair to compare an archtop uke to a flat top uke as much as it is unfair to compare archtop guitars to flattop guitars or a Harely Davison to a BMW or Indian...or a soprano to a tenor.

Top Bottom