Joined the Pono Family

steel rider

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Mike at Uke Republic and ordered my second ukulele. Joining my wonderful Mainland Classic Mahogany Soprano will be a new Pono Acacia Tenor. Not going for the Deluxe bling (which is gorgeous) makes this thing, in my opinion, a bargain at $340. I'm all about value and both my ukes seem to be "very good for the money".

Mike suggested Ko'olau Mahana strings. It also has a steel (?) C string which he said is cool.

Now the ever important soft case and cool strap (don't hate me) search. I will also be looking at pickup and uke amp options in the near future.

THANKS MIKE!

Last edited:
Congrats on your Pono, I don't think you can go wrong with any Pono now! They have really become top quality instruments. I love the acacia too. Ponos have a very nice feel and resonance and clarity of the notes. My first Pono was I think a 2005 model PKT-1 and they have come a long way. I am on my fourth now, though two have gone to new homes.

I cherish my Pono MT tenor as well. After trying different strings on it, I found that Worth Clears sounded the best to me. You will also find that the Ko'olau/Pono Customer Service in Hawaii is outstanding as well.

Sailor Jim is awesome and Pono Tenors are magic!

I love my Pono MTD!

I have the AT in satin as well, and as the others have said, you will love it. I preferred the Ko'olau Gold strings with the wound 3rd string over the Mahana set, they were my favorite for this uke until I recently tried the Fremont Black lines (Fluorocarbon strings). The Fremont's really sound great, so try those out at some point.

I have the Pono AC and love it. I am still hunting for "the strings".

Enjoy

Very interesting on the Fremont strings. I never was a fan of changing the strings on an electric guitar but will have to learn about strings and try it on my ukes. At least it's less to string! :)

You're gonna love that Pono. I have the acacia with a cedar top - it's a really great ukulele... Those Mahana strings are interesting but I liked the Worth Browns better when I eventually changed them. Haven't tried any other strings yet but I'm probably going for Living Water next.

Pono arrived tonight. I really like the low key satin look though I do like the fret board on the D model better. I am moving from a Soprano so I will have to get used to the size and the seemingly thicker strings.

I am not sure I like the steel (wound?) third string. It rings for a long time which is nice but seems out of balance with the others and not so traditional. It also just feels a lot different on the fingertips and I can hear it hitting the frets. I'm not sure I will stick with it but will give it a while and see.

I'm wondering if a low G will sound better with the wound C string. Or if I go low G and unwound C. I'm hearing good things about the flourocarbon in terms of warmth.

Any of your experiences are appreciated.

Thanks

Congrats - I love my Pono MCD. The Ko'olau strings that came on it sounded terrible to me (extremely quiet, almost muted). I put Aquillas on it and haven't looked back. But I've been meaning to try some flourocarbon strings on it. Somebody mentioned Worth Clears - will have to give them a shot.

Living Waters and Savarez strings both sound fantastic on my Pono AT-E. You can't go wrong with either of those.

Top Bottom