PDA

View Full Version : Joined the Pono Family

steel rider
10-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Just got off the phone with Mike at Uke Republic and ordered my second ukulele. Joining my wonderful Mainland Classic Mahogany Soprano will be a new Pono Acacia Tenor. Not going for the Deluxe bling (which is gorgeous) makes this thing, in my opinion, a bargain at $340. I'm all about value and both my ukes seem to be "very good for the money".

Mike suggested Ko'olau Mahana strings. It also has a steel (?) C string which he said is cool.

Now the ever important soft case and cool strap (don't hate me) search. I will also be looking at pickup and uke amp options in the near future.

THANKS MIKE!

Radio Flyer
10-23-2013, 11:51 AM
i've never heard any bad things about pono, i bet you'll be happy!

caukulele
10-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Enjoy your Pono! Will be a great addition to your family

Shazzbot
10-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Good choice. Congrats.

sugengshi
10-23-2013, 03:12 PM
i've never heard any bad things about pono, i bet you'll be happy!

I second this statement. :agree:

hent
10-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Pono is one of my favorites uke to play. Congrats and enjoy!

itsme
10-23-2013, 04:41 PM
My Mainland red cedar and Pono mahogany tenors are my favorite ukes. :)

Teek
10-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Congrats on your Pono, I don't think you can go wrong with any Pono now! They have really become top quality instruments. I love the acacia too. Ponos have a very nice feel and resonance and clarity of the notes. My first Pono was I think a 2005 model PKT-1 and they have come a long way. I am on my fourth now, though two have gone to new homes.

tangimango
10-23-2013, 10:23 PM
yup pono is great vaule. next youll get a Ko olau eventually,

mm stan
10-24-2013, 01:20 AM
Congrats pono iss a great uke...happy strummings..

Reno Dave
10-24-2013, 03:24 AM
I cherish my Pono MT tenor as well. After trying different strings on it, I found that Worth Clears sounded the best to me. You will also find that the Ko'olau/Pono Customer Service in Hawaii is outstanding as well.

Steedy
10-24-2013, 04:54 AM
Sailor Jim is awesome and Pono Tenors are magic!

Leigh Coates
10-24-2013, 05:15 AM
I love my Pono MTD!

hammer40
10-24-2013, 07:46 AM
I have the AT in satin as well, and as the others have said, you will love it. I preferred the Ko'olau Gold strings with the wound 3rd string over the Mahana set, they were my favorite for this uke until I recently tried the Fremont Black lines (Fluorocarbon strings). The Fremont's really sound great, so try those out at some point.

vanflynn
10-24-2013, 08:34 AM
I have the Pono AC and love it. I am still hunting for "the strings".

Enjoy

steel rider
10-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Very interesting on the Fremont strings. I never was a fan of changing the strings on an electric guitar but will have to learn about strings and try it on my ukes. At least it's less to string! :)

Bob Bledsoe
10-24-2013, 05:16 PM
You're gonna love that Pono. I have the acacia with a cedar top - it's a really great ukulele... Those Mahana strings are interesting but I liked the Worth Browns better when I eventually changed them. Haven't tried any other strings yet but I'm probably going for Living Water next.

steel rider
10-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Pono arrived tonight. I really like the low key satin look though I do like the fret board on the D model better. I am moving from a Soprano so I will have to get used to the size and the seemingly thicker strings.

I am not sure I like the steel (wound?) third string. It rings for a long time which is nice but seems out of balance with the others and not so traditional. It also just feels a lot different on the fingertips and I can hear it hitting the frets. I'm not sure I will stick with it but will give it a while and see.

I'm wondering if a low G will sound better with the wound C string. Or if I go low G and unwound C. I'm hearing good things about the flourocarbon in terms of warmth.

Any of your experiences are appreciated.

Thanks

Bagaag
10-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Congrats - I love my Pono MCD. The Ko'olau strings that came on it sounded terrible to me (extremely quiet, almost muted). I put Aquillas on it and haven't looked back. But I've been meaning to try some flourocarbon strings on it. Somebody mentioned Worth Clears - will have to give them a shot.

LifesShort
10-31-2013, 10:52 AM
Living Waters and Savarez strings both sound fantastic on my Pono AT-E. You can't go wrong with either of those.

hammer40
10-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Pono arrived tonight. I really like the low key satin look though I do like the fret board on the D model better. I am moving from a Soprano so I will have to get used to the size and the seemingly thicker strings.

I am not sure I like the steel (wound?) third string. It rings for a long time which is nice but seems out of balance with the others and not so traditional. It also just feels a lot different on the fingertips and I can hear it hitting the frets. I'm not sure I will stick with it but will give it a while and see.

I'm wondering if a low G will sound better with the wound C string. Or if I go low G and unwound C. I'm hearing good things about the flourocarbon in terms of warmth.

Any of your experiences are appreciated.

Thanks

Glad to hear your uke has arrived. As you can see, string choice is very subjective and varied, so just be willing to try a few and see what sounds good to you. I actually prefer having the wound third string, the sound seems to be more balanced and not as "dead," to my ears anyway.

Nickie
10-31-2013, 12:52 PM
congratulations! let us know how sweetly it plays!

steel rider
11-01-2013, 06:00 AM
I replaced the wound C with a regular one and like it much better. Maybe I'm an odd one.
Now I notice the G seems very muted and the A could be brighter.

I ordered a set of Fremont Blackline Mediums and an unwound Low G. I also ordered a set of Savares 150(?) and will see which ones I like.

In the meantime I may go to my local Alameda store and see if they have a Low G and/or Aquilas or Worth Browns I can pick up. Their selection is limited for ukes.

hawaii 50
11-01-2013, 06:32 AM
I replaced the wound C with a regular one and like it much better. Maybe I'm an odd one.
Now I notice the G seems very muted and the A could be brighter.

I ordered a set of Fremont Blackline Mediums and an unwound Low G. I also ordered a set of Savares 150(?) and will see which ones I like.

In the meantime I may go to my local Alameda store and see if they have a Low G and/or Aquilas or Worth Browns I can pick up. Their selection is limited for ukes.

have you checked out El Cerrito Music Works...they have some nice ukes there and strings too...or Ukulele Source in Japan Town in San Jose, all ukes only and all kinds of strings

I would try Ukulele Source first

steel rider
11-01-2013, 07:46 AM
have you checked out El Cerrito Music Works...they have some nice ukes there and strings too...or Ukulele Source in Japan Town in San Jose, all ukes only and all kinds of strings

I would try Ukulele Source first

I'm definitely going to Ukulele Source on my next trip to San Jose. Oddly I haven't had any face to face meeting down there lately. I might see what Music Works has if my local shop doesn't have anything.

Thanks

Uke182
12-11-2013, 06:42 AM
I'm definitely going to Ukulele Source on my next trip to San Jose. Oddly I haven't had any face to face meeting down there lately. I might see what Music Works has if my local shop doesn't have anything.

Thanks

Also check out Aloha Warehouse in San Francisco's Japan Town. They carry all of the Hawaii "K" brands, a large selection of Pono's, and the entire line of Ko'olau strings and the most popular ones.