Tip for fellow beginners

ohmless

Reaction score
I am sure many of you have had the same experience as I had, but thought I would share mine anyways.

I have spent about 6 weeks online listening to prospective ukes on youtube and such, but the sound quality of the instruments seems to be much different in person. Perhaps it is due to low quality earphones or other limitations. Anyhow, I was CERTAIN I knew what I wanted when a visit to a local shop totally changed my mind on what I am going to buy next week(and from whom.) The resonance of the instruments were what I found different from the videos. They both roughly sounded comparable online but the difference really shined in person.

The local shop was even kind enough to offer to put a hold on that particular instrument for me (I really liked its grain pattern!) Being someone used to ordering online for years the services the local shop provided for me blew my mind. Even though I have to pay sales tax, I will be buying my Cordoba 15CM locally to support these good people.

Thanks for hearing me out.

I have spent about 6 weeks online listening to prospective ukes on youtube and such, but the sound quality of the instruments seems to be much different in person.

The local shop was even kind enough to offer to put a hold on that particular instrument for me (I really liked its grain pattern!) Being someone used to ordering online for years the services the local shop provided for me blew my mind. Even though I have to pay sales tax, I will be buying my Cordoba 15CM locally to support these good people.

Congratulations, you have just experienced what is always my first tip to anybody buying a uke for the first time: if at all possible, try them in person.

Not only have I found that nothing ever sounds the same in person as it does online, but - every uke sounds different. For example, I've owned 4 Kamakas, two of them identical, yet no two sounded at all alike.

And it's always good to establish a relationship with your local music shop if you think you are committed to playing. In my experience, repeat customers sometimes get loyalty discounts or little freebies thrown in, so in the long run, it all works out pretty even.

Every uke has it's own voice...even the same brands and model will differ.... try before you buy.... buy from an established store that does setups... HMS, MIM , Uke Republic, Mainland etc

Congrats on finding that special uke. Those 15CM's sound amazing for an all laminate uke.

I don't think it's laminate is it?

Cordoba advertises it as a quartersawn top and all mahogany otherwise

I just got a 10CM or whatever it's called, and considerably under retail

and I'm wondering if the 15CM is indeed different and if i should have just spebt the more money for one
the 10 advertises a "laminate mahogany" top and mahogany back and sides

it's OK I guess- I have nothing to compare it to, and can't get to anyplace much near here to compare
I think it could have a little more resonance- if I keep it I may enlarge the soundhole- it just seems to small for the body
the top A string lacks a little punch I think

Last edited:
don't know if it is for sure, but for the price it probably is. If it is, the outer lam is definitely quartersawn as the one I looked at had lots of medullary rays almost to the point of being "flame". The ones I compared it to were laminates(lanikai LU21 and Luna tattoo.) There was a marked increase in the resonance and sustain when switching between the others to the Cordoba FWIW.

Before I hurt my back and became disabled I used to do woodworking. Just from experience with trying to enlarge holes, it is tough to do cleanly. I used to use a hole saw with a center drill bit for stabilization and would temporarily glue or screw a piece of wood inside the hole to guide the drill bit(also helps prevent tear out.) BTW, I recommend you use a hole saw that is a big circle as opposed to the kind that are flat with two gouges on the outside. They are a bit cleaner. Either way go slow and don't press down hard with the drill.

Also don't feel bad about not having a place nearby to compare ukes. Just think of it as having the nicest uke in the territory instead of worrying about whether or not your instrument holds up to others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom