Buzzing C String

olivia_r

Reaction score
Hi,
I only started playing the ukulele 3 months ago, and I got my ukulele about 1 and a half months ago. However, now the C string is buzzing. It buzzes when I am not pressing on it, but when I am, it stops. What is happening and how can I fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!
Olivia

Could be a few things, but the likeliest culprit is that it's strung incorrectly.

So, two things to check... first, for the C sting, is it coming down toward the nut from the inside or the outside? And second, is the string wound around the peg such that it goes toward the nut 'high' or 'low'.

If the string comes from the outside of the peg rather the inside, and/or the string comes in at a high angle toward the nut rather than a low angle, that is the likeliest culprit. ie, the string is buzzing because the angles it's strung at aren't allowing the string to sit properly and it 'wants' to move off center and thus buzzes.

There is a possibility of structural damage, but being improperly strung is far & away the likeliest problem. Even if you think it looks reasonably good in alignment, it's still worth re-stringing to see if that helps, or even swap out the string altogether.

Thanks for you quick response! I actually don't really understand what you mean by inside or outside, so I attached a picture. CUP100XXX-P.fpx.jpg It's a Cordoba UP100. I might just drop it off at a local guitar store, unless there are any other suggestions of ways I can fix this myself, being a novice. Thanks!

Ah thanks that makes it easier. So, you see how all 4 of the strings come down on the 'inside'. so that the G & C strings 'face' the E & A strings. That's the proper way to do it -- if one of the strings instead faced outward that could cause the string to not sit well. So you're at least okay there.

Then the 2nd thing is something I can't tell from the picture.... hold your uke like it's a table and look at how the string is wound around the post at the top there. If it's wound from bottom (closer to the body) and comes off of the post toward the top, that's wrong and could be causing the issue. It should be wound from the top (far away from body) and come off of the post toward the bottom so that when it hits the nut it has a good angle going and the string sits very securely at the nut.

So check that, and if you either can't tell or it seems to be right, then yeah take it into a shop and have them look at it. It could very well be something else, but more likely than not the string is just strung improperly, or the string has worn down and needs replacing.

It seems to be correct. One thing I just found out is that the string doesn't buzz at any other tuning, just the correct C note. Odd.

It seems to be correct. One thing I just found out is that the string doesn't buzz at any other tuning, just the correct C note. Odd.

If the string is buzzing only on the C string in the open position, 9 times out of 10 its a problem with the nut. Have you recently changed strings? Is there any slop in the nut groove meaning, the slot is cut too wide for the string? It could also be the slot is cut so that the string is not resting on the edge closest to the fingerboard, but maybe in the center part of the nut which would cause the string to vibrate on the edge. This needs to be checked out but a good luthier, not a music store hack.

As a quick test, you could loosen the C string, stick a small thin piece of paper between the nut and the string and tune it back up. If the buzz is gone, its the nut slot. Its an easy fix but again, it needs a good luthier or repairman.

yeah, o.k. non of the above, like ever.
1.get a steel, thin trip and hold against all the frets, lengthwise. they should ALL be in line. likely one or more is sticking out, the ones near the nut probably. figure out if you have to file one or raise (replace) the one next to it, nearer to the bridge. youtube "replace fret" for how to.
2. more easy: increase the action by placing a wire strip under the bridge .
N.B. the c-string is the first to buzz because it's thicker then the others.

thanks, but it was just the peg was kinda loose. I tightened it with a screwdriver

first thing I check is if any hardware is loose. screws, nuts, pick up hardware/wire, etc. if all else fails I change the strings to a different type. I have a Pono bari that had some annoying very slight buzzing , It had Martin strings [very thin], I put some Alohi [thick nylon] on and the buzzing stopped, and it now sounds great.

thanks seattle sean,i had the same issue and i have been checking fret hights,i forgot to check the simple and obvious

If the string is buzzing only on the C string in the open position, 9 times out of 10 its a problem with the nut.

Hello BlackBearUkes, (hope it's ok if I chime in this thread, I have exactly the problem described here.)

The second bass string on my guitalele is buzzing - but when I press the string down with my nail into the nut to fix it, the buzzing dissapears.
It also works to add a tiny bit of aluminum foil (2 layers) into the nut gap.

Now, what is the problem? Is the gap for this string too wide? How would a professional fix look like?

Thanks and best regards!

Top Bottom