copyright problems on YouTube

keonepax

Verified Account
Reaction score
Wow, YouTube removed my video, a collaboration with Bosko and Honey on Winter Wonderland. A cover of a Christmas song, for crying out loud! The notice I got indicated that Warner Music Group lodged the complaint.

Just wondering if others have had their COVERS removed from YouTube. I know some people have had problems with Prince and Van Morrison songs.

Fashion TV filed a claim on me once then retracted it. LOL I have no idea why.

That sucks major hairy reindeer antlers!

Such a sincere vid and something that is a tribute to the song and to ukulele and to Christmas spirit and... No chance it was just a lucky hit and they got you? Any word on other youtubers feeling mr. Warner's fist coming down on them recently?

Man, what a bummer.

Yes. Warner is on a killing spree this last week. Aside from uke, I have a ton of bass and some guitar covers on youtube. Several of my videos were claimed, and many of my friends vids too. Some of mine that were taken down had 2,000 plus views. I really didn't think it would hit the ukulele community, but looks like it is.

What negative impact could a cover possible have on the artist or label? In fact, I can think of 4 CDs I have purchased just because I heard a youtube cover first, and that led me to the new music. The only possible impact on the label and artist is more money.

My plea to everyone is to mot let this prevent you from posting. I love ukulele covers!

Van Morrison's people seriously threatened me when I first uploaded "Brown Eyed Girl". They became more friendly when I included some nonsense that they required in the box by the video.

KEN

Yet another example of how the majority of the suits in the music biz "just don't get it".

:mad:

If they were smart, they'd put some sort of system in place where yootoobers who wanted to post cover tunes could pay a few bucks a year. Nothing that would discourage the music from being made, but enough to get a bit of extra money to the songwriters and publishing companies.

Have it go through the usual performance-rights orgs like BMI and ASCAP. YouTube could send them the data page views so they could determine how to split the pie. This would actually encourage song covers. Everybody wins!

JJ

I've seen that Prince songs get taken off youtube really quick. I don't see why. It seems like if someone likes a cover of a song they are more likely to buy the original. The record companies are on a sinking ship and harassing people that aren't ever going to make any financial gain of of songs is only giving them a worse reputation than they already have.

If you think about it, they're probably losing more money hiring people to search YouTube for copyright claims than they are if they left the videos alone because no normal YouTube user would ever pay royalties.:rolleyes:

Dude warner brothers group took down my gym class heroes-cookie jar cover! Weaksauce!

This is just a continuation of the downfall of corporate music labels. Forget Don Henley and Jason Miraz!

Two words: original music!:music:

okay, so whats the deal? can they take it down even if you acknowledge the original artist and say its a cover?

Any unauthorized reproduction in ANY form may be considered copyright infringement and removed/deleted or used as evidence against us (with the 27 8 x 10 color glossy photos of the approach, the getaway, and not to mention the arial photography).

Even covers can be taken down. Certain artists are OK with people using their songs and expanding on their work. I read that Beck actually encourages it. Beck ROCKS!

It may come to a point that you have to write to the record label and get written permission to do a cover. And if someone does not do that, then it is within the record company's rights to demand it be removed. YT has been nice enough to offer "audio-swapping", so if you receive a DMCA notice, you can keep the video portion intact and use music from their library to replace what was removed:uhoh:.

Maybe UU can host videos done by our members. I know this may end up being a little costly, but maybe we can donate some funds to buy the UU guys some bigger hard drives. just a thought.

If I ask Warner for permission to do one of their songs, would they actually grant it? How much would they charge? Does anyone have any experience with this?

If I ask Warner for permission to do one of their songs, would they actually grant it? How much would they charge? Does anyone have any experience with this?

It's weird because to record a cover song and sell it, you only need to pay 10 cents per track per unit. But getting an ASCAP or BMI license to perform or play cover songs for free costs way more... kind of ass backwards thinking if you ask me but i'm not complaining because I don't want to pay much more in royalties. 10 cents per unit racks up fast.

On another note, UU is not immune to it too as our Let it Snow play along got taken down.

Any unauthorized reproduction in ANY form may be considered copyright infringement and removed/deleted or used as evidence against us (with the 27 8 x 10 color glossy photos of the approach, the getaway, and not to mention the arial photography).

Even covers can be taken down. Certain artists are OK with people using their songs and expanding on their work. I read that Beck actually encourages it. Beck ROCKS!

It may come to a point that you have to write to the record label and get written permission to do a cover. And if someone does not do that, then it is within the record company's rights to demand it be removed. YT has been nice enough to offer "audio-swapping", so if you receive a DMCA notice, you can keep the video portion intact and use music from their library to replace what was removed:uhoh:.

I was reading this thread and just had to comment on this one, haha. Didn't Beck get sued by the Rolling Stones for sampling their music? LOL, I'm sure he supports using other peoples music. :rofl:

Top Bottom