it's possible to have a string E an octave higher?

TUMB's up

Reaction score
Hi,
haven't had enough info about putting an Aquila set G D A E for soprano ukulele on a soprano banjolele....
I'm wondering if takin a set for concert...
taking a red Aquila for bass G (4th string)
tuning a tone up the C ---- = to D (3rd string)
keeping A as it is (2nd string)
now I'd need the 1st string ... an E one which in fifth should be an octave upper then the E ukulele regular string.

Can this be made in some way?
= wich string could I use to do so?

PS
I know that my question doesn't seem to be "uke lover style",
but I'm here because I really want to buy a uke...and learn\play it as a uke...but also I want a sort of custom banjolin ( and as a uke I think I may buy a traditional model uke tuned as a uke in g C E A )

Last edited:
The charango uses e strings an octave higher than the e string of a ukulele. Its size is very similar to that of a concert. I normally use Medina Artiga. You will also get strings in there for a C an octave higher than the ukuleles if you ever fancied using that.

The charango uses e strings an octave higher than the e string of a ukulele. Its size is very similar to that of a concert. I normally use Medina Artiga. You will also get strings in there for a C an octave higher than the ukuleles if you ever fancied using that.

thanks, but the charango ones are nylon ones?
or steel?
I just should eventually need the hi E one

All nylon. The Medina Artigas are "microwound" like the guadalupe ukulele strings. No metal. Those high e strings you are after are not microwound however as they are so thin, they are just nylon (or possibly flourocarbon, I'm not sure) but they are a good make of strings. You could try other makes. Charango strings would work fine on the ukulele.

I've just noticed aquila do charango strings too. I'd like to try those one day.

Last edited:
Normal uke tuning is gCEA, not gCAE, just to avoid confusion.

You could probably get by with the GD part fine, and as you said move the highest (normal) string to the 2nd position, which gives you GDA. Then comes the hard part.

There may be strings available for higher tuning, but it's quite a step from the normal high A to the E seven half-steps higher. Possibly the high C string from an 8-string set would work (though prepare for some teeth-gritting as you tighten it up to tune, and keep it away from your eyes). Or, some have mentioned using fluorocarbon fishing line for their strings, possibly you could get some that will go to high e.

On a regular uke i'd say you'd be in danger of pulling the bridge off or warping it, but a banjo uke may take the strain OK.

Last edited:
My daughter did a gDAe tuning by simply swapping the top two strings and tuning the 3rd string up a step. For strumming, sounds pretty good! I don't even want to try it as it would just confuse the heck out of me. :confused:

My daughter did a gDAe tuning by simply swapping the top two strings and tuning the 3rd string up a step. For strumming, sounds pretty good! I don't even want to try it as it would just confuse the heck out of me. :confused:

to play regular scales the e must be an octave higher then the E ukulele one ... infact the problem is with this string...the other are ok expecially putting a low G

Top Bottom