6 string baritone anyone?

camperman

Reaction score
I've always enjoyed playing my baritone uke. Still do :) And my next purchase was going to be an upgrade to a nice electro acoustic baritone but things have changed since my last purchase.
You see my last purchase was a 6 string tenor and I absolutely love it.
So now I want a 6 string baritone. The only ones I've seen so far are the Bruce Wei ones.
Does anyone else own or has tried a 6 string baritone?

I've just bought one of Bruce wei's 8 string baritones. I couldn't resist anymore although its still to be shipped. For what its worth it LOOKS to be exceptionally well built although I will have to wait until I have it in my hands.

Here's a video of a MELE 8 string baritone ukulele. Better instrument no doubt and it sounds fantastic,

Anthony

I've just bought one of Bruce wei's 8 string baritones. I couldn't resist anymore although its still to be shipped. For what its worth it LOOKS to be exceptionally well built although I will have to wait until I have it in my hands.

Here's a video of a MELE 8 string baritone ukulele. Better instrument no doubt and it sounds fantastic,

Anthony

8 string :) Now there's a thought :)

I have this Mya-Moe 6 string mahogany baritone. Aaron made a sound sample of it here:

I also have an 8-string Kamaka baritone and an 8-string long-neck Mele tenor tuned as an 8-string baritone. As with 6-string and 8-string tenors, 6-string and 8-string baritones have slightly different sounds. My 8-string baritones have a fuller and somewhat "twangier" sound, which I attribute to the double B and E strings. The 6-string sounds less full but richer, which I attribute to there being a low E string paired with a regular E string.

I've never had or played a Bruce Wei ukulele. Most of the popular manufacturers don't seem to make 6-string baritones. Mya-Moe appears to be an exception, and you might be able to find a Mele or Pono 6-string baritone, but if you've already found a Bruce Wei 6-string baritone, that may be the best way to go..

Last edited:
I've always enjoyed playing my baritone uke. Still do :) And my next purchase was going to be an upgrade to a nice electro acoustic baritone but things have changed since my last purchase.
You see my last purchase was a 6 string tenor and I absolutely love it.
So now I want a 6 string baritone. The only ones I've seen so far are the Bruce Wei ones.
Does anyone else own or has tried a 6 string baritone?

baritone ukulele is my new obsession. both of those six and 8 string ones sound beautiful if you get one or the other or each make sure you post a video :)

I have a six string baritone made by Taylor...oh, wait, that's a guitar...

I have a six string baritone made by Taylor...oh, wait, that's a guitar...

well their not tuned like a guitar its tuned in courses
so its not even anything close to a guitar. A lot of people
think because of the tuning a baritone uke is gonna sound
like a guitar, it really doesn't it has its own unique warm sound
that in my opinion is much more pleasant and mellow than a guitar
and less bright and punchy than soprano or concert or even tenor ukes.

well their not tuned like a guitar its tuned in courses
so its not even anything close to a guitar. A lot of people
think because of the tuning a baritone uke is gonna sound
like a guitar, it really doesn't it has its own unique warm sound
that in my opinion is much more pleasant and mellow than a guitar
and less bright and punchy than soprano or concert or even tenor ukes.

I agree that a baritone ukulele has its own sound. It even sounds different from a tenor guitar (4 strings) that's been tuned DGBE, like a baritone ukulele or the top four strings of a conventional guitar. I think John was joking about the guitar reference, though. :)

Back to our regularly-scheduled programming.

I agree that a baritone ukulele has its own sound. It even sounds different from a tenor guitar (4 strings) that's been tuned DGBE, like a baritone ukulele or the top four strings of a conventional guitar. I think John was joking about the guitar reference, though. :)

Back to our regularly-scheduled programming.

I would say if anything the guitarele is more or less a small guitar (but still pretty cool)

why would you want a baritone? How is your tenor strung? ADGCEA? I just got my Eddy Finn 6 string tenor today. It is Aquila strung EADGBE. My wife was a music teacher who carried her guitar for classroom accompaniment .Her comment about it was favorable for both looks and sound. She no longer plays, is why she did not comment on that part of it. Check out Giannini of Brazil.

Another "baritone " experience is an Dd or dD GgG BbB eE or EE strung tiple.
In addition to my two Giannini baritones dGBE and dGBe (thank you Dirk!) there is a Martin T-18 and a Yasuma all mahogany...both tuned low

Last edited:
why would you want a baritone?

Geez, obviously you haven't played one... or maybe your UAS is in remission...

I love the baritone, although I play tenors a bit more. Sound, size, depth of tone... and all this talk of an eight-string version has me salivating. I'd like to get a steel-string bari, as well.

Geez, obviously you haven't played one... or maybe your UAS is in remission...

I love the baritone, although I play tenors a bit more. Sound, size, depth of tone... and all this talk of an eight-string version has me salivating. I'd like to get a steel-string bari, as well.

for steel string the konablaster solid body electric baritone uke is a perfect choice.

why would you want a baritone? How is your tenor strung? ADGCEA? I just got my Eddy Finn 6 string tenor today. It is Aquila strung EADGBE......

I wonder if you're confusing a six-string baritone with a guitarlele. A six string baritone has only four courses of strings, two of which are paired in octaves, so it's tuned D-gG-B-Ee, or D-Gg-B-Ee, or some other combination of higher and lower G and E strings. A 6 string baritone would not be tuned ADGCEA or EADGBE, as it only has four courses of strings, not six. (Aaron talks about this in the Mya-Moe demo video I posted earlier in this thread. .) Depending on the scale, an instrument tuned like that would be a guitarlele or a small guitar.

Yes, I know of the four course with two doubles and two singles being called a six string what ever size it is. EF sells theirs as a six string tenor...and it does have six strings. Chord soloing or picking individual notes is not a pleasant sound with singles and doubles mixed. A full course of doubles with octaves provides a consistent sound. Currently I have two solid mahogany baritones from the 70's by Giannini.

I bought one of those recently too, it should be here in 2-3 weeks, I can post some videos of it when I get it.
I have a rare 8 string tenor guitar with Maestro on the headstock. I dont know if its the same as Gibson's Maestro brand though. I found it on craigslist. Some people say its a mandocello, but it came strung like a 12 string guitar without the bass strings. I'll post a sample of it shortly.

Top Bottom