WTB concert or tenor uke

Spud1$

Reaction score
I am a beginner who bought a blemished Kala SMLT Tenor which I have loved, my partner has just started learning and he also loves my tenor so I have been playing my granddaughters makala dolphin. It's a lot of fun and it makes me think that maybe I could get used to a concert and get a little better uke for my money. I would appreciate any thoughts and am looking to spend about $ 300.00. Thanks

A new Pono Mahogany Concert (Pono-MC) can be had for about $320 new (but you gotta add the case and shipping, as well). It's a solid wood body and top (no laminate) instrument with a good reputation.
Sometimes a used Pono-MC comes up under the Ukulele Marketplace forum here for $200.00 or less. I actually saw one on Guitar Center's used equipment pages at their Atlanta, GA store for $119.00, reduced from $199.00 about two weeks ago. I would have grabbed it, but I already had one. I also didn't want to become a uke hoarder. ;)

If you really like the tenor size, you might want to keep your eyes opened for a good deal on a used instrument. You probably won't find one of the high ended K-branded Hawaii ukes at the $300.00 price point. However, I think there's a reasonable chance you could find a used Pono Tenor or one of the other mid-range brands of ukes in a tenor size at that price. Just know that Murphy's Law dictates that you will always be able to find a stupendous deal on a uke that is always $50 to $100 more than your pre-established budget. :)

I found my Pono-MC at an excellent price (with the case) here in the Marketplace. The deals are out there on used instruments, you just have to be relentless in checking the various places where people list them for sale. In addition to the Ukulele Marketplace in these forums, there are used instrument listings at the Marketplace at Flea Market Music and Guitar Center Used Gear. There is always eBay, but I think eBay is a little more caveat emptor than the sources that are sponsored by ukulele aficionados. Craigslist is another option. You might get lucky and find a great local deal on a dreamy uke that you could try before you buy with no shipping required. Until you find the uke that is meant to be yours, make your partner share that Tenor and take turns playing with the Dolphin. :) Good luck.

Wanted to thank you all for your ideas. We are thinking. I'm sort of an impulse shopper, he is not!! Lol

I have a Kala KA-T Tenor Uke that we bought in Kauai about a month ago. I no sooner got it when I also bought a tenor Kamoa. So I am looking to sell off the Kala. It has Aquila nylgut C/E/A strings with a PHD low G string. It comes with a simple gig bag. It is practically new. It is well under your budget at $125 plus shipping.

Top Bottom