PDA

View Full Version : Martin Iz tenor

Maiden Uke
10-25-2013, 05:54 AM
Wonder if anyone has gotten or played one of the Martin Iz tenors yet? Would love to have some feedback on it

Uke Republic
10-25-2013, 05:58 AM
I played it at summer Namm. Couldn't hear in there to well but it sure looked nice.

Radio Flyer
10-25-2013, 08:31 AM
i think the delivery date on these is sometime in december, at least the next batch. from comments i've heard from the few people that have played it at shows etc. say it sounds pretty good.

Five Ways
10-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Hi I played one of these last month at Sus in the UK, I was impressed with the build quality and it sounded good too, I have to say I am also a big fan of IZ,
but when compared to some other tenors costing almost half the price it just didn't stack up for me, and as is often discussed on UU instruments vary such a lot even same make same model all I can say is play one as we are all different as well, I was hoping it would blow me away but it just didn't.
I am sure martin fans will love it and maybe it will become highly prized in years to come,
all the best.

itsme
10-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Personally, I see it as Martin just trying to cash in on Iz's name. He's dead, can't endorse anything and might even be appalled by it.

Not saying it's not a good instrument, just that I don't put a lot of credibility in celebrity endorsements, especially when they're not alive to actually even endorse it.

Skinny Money McGee
10-25-2013, 11:12 AM
here we go again

coolkayaker1
10-25-2013, 01:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsYzAwk-jAs

I thought it was to have side gear tuners, but it has back geared (friction type) in this video.

Raygf
10-25-2013, 04:07 PM
The 1T IZ comes with pegheds. It's the first Martin uke to do so. I was at the factory back in April and while trying out several other Martin ukuleles they brought out 1T IZ #2 for me to play. It was not for sale and it was a lovely instrument. I now own a 2K Tenor (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1976) in memoriam of my father who died in March.

kissing
10-26-2013, 04:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsYzAwk-jAs

I thought it was to have side gear tuners, but it has back geared (friction type) in this video.

It grinds my gears how makers sometimes miss significant details like this on celebrity endorsed instruments.
Another example is Kamaka's uberly expensive Jake Shimabukuro tenors. What was supposed to be a close clone to Jake's actual uke.. and they didn't put the slotted headstock on it. I don't know, it just burns my curiosity of why? Because only Jake can have the one version of his uke with slotted headstock? >_<

And ugh, that video... they couldn't pay enough respect to spend the time to pronounce his name properly, or name a single song other than "Somewhere over the rainbow". He was just some guy who went viral on the internet to them?

cigarfan
10-26-2013, 06:36 AM
I have one coming in Dec. I am happy to get a commerative that honors IZ.

hawaii 50
10-26-2013, 06:41 AM
I saw one at PuaPua in Waikiki....it looked nice.but to much noise there... I could not hear myself strumming it
they have a large selection of Martin ukes there

Skinny Money McGee
10-26-2013, 06:57 AM
And ugh, that video... they couldn't pay enough respect to spend the time to pronounce his name properly, or name a single song other than "Somewhere over the rainbow". He was just some guy who went viral on the internet to them?

I can't pronounce his name either. Download the pdf brochure. http://www.martinguitar.com/catalogs/IZ%201T%20Tenor%20Ukulele.pdf They talk about his musical history. Everyone knows OTR/Wonderful World song because it became an international hit, and the Album "Facing Future went Platinum selling 1 million copies in 1995. This Album came out 10 years before YouTube was created. So yes it "went viral", but way after it had already "went platinum"

The Big Kahuna
10-26-2013, 07:12 AM
Within Martin, it's known as the "1BEM" Model.

peanuts56
10-26-2013, 07:50 AM
I purchased a Kamaka Tenor in July and also took the tour. We saw one of the unfinished Jake models during the tour. Later on while I was placing my order for my tenor I asked why the Jake model didn't have the slotted head stock. I was told that it was very expensive to produce.

kissing
10-26-2013, 07:44 PM
I purchased a Kamaka Tenor in July and also took the tour. We saw one of the unfinished Jake models during the tour. Later on while I was placing my order for my tenor I asked why the Jake model didn't have the slotted head stock. I was told that it was very expensive to produce.

I find that kind of baffling. For one, you would expect that on a high-end custom uke that originally retailed at over $5000, and now re-sells at the $10 000 mark, simply having a slotted headstock would not be an expense to be spared. At such a high-end price range for a uke that is dedicated to be a clone of the original instrument played by the celebrity... why make such a huge compromise and get it wrong?

And the second thing that baffles me is why slotted headstock is considered such a premium in the ukulele world.
Are slotted headstocks really that expensive to produce? Yet you see slotted headstocks on the cheapest of classical guitars, and some inexpensive Lanikai and Kala instruments..

NewKid
10-26-2013, 08:17 PM
I find that kind of baffling. For one, you would expect that on a high-end custom uke that originally retailed at over $5000, and now re-sells at the $10 000 mark, simply having a slotted headstock would not be an expense to be spared. At such a high-end price range for a uke that is dedicated to be a clone of the original instrument played by the celebrity... why make such a huge compromise and get it wrong?

And the second thing that baffles me is why slotted headstock is considered such a premium in the ukulele world.
Are slotted headstocks really that expensive to produce? Yet you see slotted headstocks on the cheapest of classical guitars, and some inexpensive Lanikai and Kala instruments..

I agree. Slotted headstocks are cool because Jake plays a uke with one - and he is the coolest player on earth. Kamaka limiting their slotted head stock model to only their greatest players makes them more valuable to their fan base. So Kamaka probably has this pent up demand they are not meeting but if they tooled up for slotted headstocks (I'm sure easier said then done) I bet they would sell quite a lot of them.

hawaii 50
10-26-2013, 08:23 PM
I agree. Slotted headstocks are cool because Jake plays a uke with one - and he is the coolest player on earth. Kamaka limiting their slotted head stock model to only their greatest players makes them more valuable to their fan base. So Kamaka probably has this pent up demand they are not meeting but if they tooled up for slotted headstocks (I'm sure easier said then done) I bet they would sell quite a lot of them.

Kamaka's sell before they reach the stores out here....they have none left at the factory as soon as they build them every month...I am pretty sure they could do what you want...but they don't want to do it now....

they have been in business for almost 100 years and seem to be doing fine...without a slotted headstock

just my 2 cents

NewKid
10-26-2013, 09:29 PM
It's nice that Kamaka is still family owned and operated and they can do what they want. But they are doing just fine with a slotted-headstock for their celebrity players.

hawaii 50
10-26-2013, 09:39 PM
It's nice that Kamaka is still family owned and operated and they can do what they want. But they are doing just fine with a slotted-headstock for their celebrity players.

so what is your point...

consitter
10-26-2013, 09:51 PM

It would be my guess that if they did a sales model with a slotted head stock, they would have to get equipment to do it. Jake's actual uke is 100% hand made, I'm sure, including the headstock, and I'll bet a slotted one is a huge time drain over a regular headstock (hand made), which I'll also bet the sale's Jake models are as well.

That being said, if they started making slotted headstocks for any sales model whatsoever, they would open themselves up to making other models with slotted headstocks. If they didn't, it might tick off some of the customer base because they would want those types of headstocks, even on customs or semi-customs.

They already have such a hard time keeping up with just regular customer demand, they don't need anymore drain on their resources. Some folks might say "Expand the operation to compensate". Easier said than done. There just isn't room to do that in this day and age. Land there is at such a premium, it would necessitate buying land elsewhere and building a larger factory.

And so on, and so on.....

I know I'm being a little extraneous. But my thinking lies here... the Kamaka clan are very likely satisified with what they have and don't want to expand. And believe it or not, little things like that add up to where they would have to.

BTW, NewKid, this is necessarily in response to your post, yours was just there and convenient. ;)

tainauke
10-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Your remark Consitter, makes me think about the "barefoot economics", where the person makes by just fine with how he/she is and doesn't want to be a slave to it's product.
Quick example: a woman in South America makes her poncho my hand and sells them at the market. Say she makes 5 or 6 ponchos a week. People provide her with a machine to help her out with the poncho-making. They think that when they will come back in a few months, the woman will be making more ponchos and thus more money and "better herself" and her "situation". But when they come back, they find that she still makes the same amount of ponchos. When they ask her about the machine, she says it's great and she still uses it everyday, but the machine enables her to spend more time with her family and more time for herself which is more important to her than making more money...
Just like Consitter stated, perhaps Kamaka could do slotted headstocks but it may require more investing on their part (people and money wise), and perhaps they are happy just the way things are; their customers sure seem always happy with their products, so why change?
Especially with a company that has so much history and that has survived so many economical challenges...
My humble 2 cents...

But back on topic, any other thoughts on the Martin Iz Tenor? I am curious...
Do people buy this type of ukulele as an investment or for playing?

kissing
10-27-2013, 12:38 AM
But it's a Jake Shimabukuro Limited Edition >_<
A slotted headstock is kinda the point. Sorry, I'm OCD'ing on this issue, been driving me nuts for years @.@

So far, here's the one attention to detail with Martin that I'm impressed with; they remembered to tune it low-G by default. Good on them!

coolkayaker1
10-27-2013, 04:35 AM
I'm with kissing on the slotted headstocks on the Jake Kamakas. It's what Jake plays, make it that way (and what'd they make, like, 100 of them or something over a few years--it's a limited edition). If Mya Moe can make slotted headstocks by hand ($250 each), I'm thinking Kamaka could, too, for their $5000+ Jake models.

Similarly, Iz didn't use Pegheds. If I was buying an Iz ukulele--and I'm not--I'd want it to be as similar to Iz's as humanly possible.

(That's why I don't buy a modern Iz facsimile, and instead bought a traditional vintage Martin tenor with friction pegs. Just like Iz used. Thanks, Iz!)

(PS I also agree with you, kissing, about Martin's Dick Boak, at least on that video, knowing less about Iz than even I do. Sad.)

Dan Uke
10-27-2013, 05:01 AM
I think people are missing the point about calling something a "INSERT FAMOUS PERSON NAME" model. That means, it should be as close to what that person is playing unless it's more of an endorsement or inspired by model.

This thread isn't asking if Kamaka should make slotted headstocks for everyone. My 1 cent take but it seems like things getting personal, which is the point I'm making I think :confused:

The Big Kahuna
10-27-2013, 06:11 AM
If you want to commemorate Iz, put a picture of him on your wall. It will resemble the man himself a lot more closely than the Martin will resemble his Uke. It's a cynical marketing exercise by Martin, nothing more.

hmgberg
10-27-2013, 07:58 AM
I understood the Martin to be a tribute model, not a replication of Iz's ukulele. The rosewood head plate with the hibiscus inlay is also unlike Iz's standard style 1. Of course it is also a marketing effort, but I don't know that it is any more cynical than other marketing ploys. Unfortunately, Martin is not making any traditional style 1 models apart from this one. What are now style 1 Martins don't look like the old ones, which I happen to think are quite attractive.

I also doubt that there is anything intentionally dismissive of customers going on at the Kamaka factory. Maybe they don't realize that a slotted headstock is so important to buyers. Hasn't the Jake model sold out anyway?

mm stan
10-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Nothing wrong with these business marketing ploys....either you like them or not, or either you like their prices or not....these are niche ukes, whether you are satisfied with the prices or not and
they are what they are....there will always be someone to buy them...Assuming too much between the lines what the company does or it's intent is just Seinfeild drama to me....personally I tried them and think they are nice....

hawaii 50
10-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Nothing wrong with these business marketing ploys....either you like them or not, or either you like their prices or not....these are niche ukes, whether you are satisfied with the prices or not and
they are what they are....there will always be someone to buy them...Assuming too much between the lines what the company does or it's intent is just Seinfeild drama to me....personally I tried them and think they are nice....

Hey Stan Seinfeild was a comedy not a drama!haha

I thought the Iz was nice....but not my style....

mm stan
10-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Hey Stan Seinfeild was a comedy not a drama!haha

I thought the Iz was nice....but not my style....
Actually it was a comedic drama to be exact.. :)

consitter
10-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Actually it was a comedic drama to be exact.. :)

And famously....

It was about nothing!

coolkayaker1
10-27-2013, 11:50 PM
And famously....

It was about nothing!

Sort of like the Iz Martin.

Lol

consitter
10-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Sort of like the Iz Martin.

Lol

Is that Steve Martin's younger brother?

coolkayaker1
10-28-2013, 12:17 AM
Is that Steve Martin's younger brother?

Yes, the pudgy one.

consitter
10-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Yes, the pudgy one.

I thought there was a resemblance.

kissing
10-28-2013, 12:48 AM
they both make me smile

coolkayaker1
10-28-2013, 01:59 AM
I understood the Martin to be a tribute model, not a replication of Iz's ukulele.

Might be true, Howard, but if that's the case, they might learn to say his name right and mention some of his other works besides Over The Rainbow. :)

Skinny Money McGee
10-28-2013, 02:16 AM
It's a cynical marketing exercise by Martin, nothing more.

No it's not

The Big Kahuna
10-28-2013, 03:04 AM
Might be true, Howard, but if that's the case, they might learn to say his name right and mention some of his other works besides Over The Rainbow. :)

Like Gilligan's Island?

coolkayaker1
10-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Like Gilligan's Island?
No, that was Lou Reed.

Tigeralum2001
10-28-2013, 02:47 PM
To the OP- I haven't seen them, but I like Martins. I think they missed the mark by not having bridge pins like Iz did. I also believe Iz played a 14 fret-to-body model (late 60s). Would have been nice to commomorate him with something closer to what he actually played. Original spec, then add the bling, if you will.

To the "what is Kamaka doing with the Jake model" crowd- I'm with you. Makes me appreciate what Kanilea did with the Aldrine model. This is the true gold standard- same appointments and same log!!! It doesn't get closer than that!

Skinny Money McGee
10-28-2013, 05:44 PM
I also believe Iz played a 14 fret-to-body model (late 60s)

The Tribute uke has 14 frets to the body. At least in the picture it does. Marlene Kamakawiwo'ole endorses the uke with her signature on the label. But she probably didn't know her husband as well as kayaker and kahuna did.

The Big Kahuna
10-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Marlene Kamakawiwo'ole endorses the uke with her signature on the label. But she probably didn't know her husband as well as kayaker and kahuna did.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3fhg3cbGI1qkxjf4.jpg

coolkayaker1
10-28-2013, 10:23 PM
The Tribute uke has 14 frets to the body. At least in the picture it does. Marlene Kamakawiwo'ole endorses the uke with her signature on the label. But she probably didn't know her husband as well as kayaker and kahuna did.

She certainly knew him better than Dick Boak, Martin's own public relations chief. Boak doesn't even try to know anything about the guy. Except maybe the nose bleed price of his bridge pinless, Pegheaded, flower inlayed tribute uke. I'll be the knows that now, to the penny

(Excellent point, tiger, about the Aldrine uke as a gold standard for tribute or facsimile ukes.)

Skinny Money McGee
10-29-2013, 02:09 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3fhg3cbGI1qkxjf4.jpg

Clever, but pointless and juvenile as usual.

She certainly knew him better than Dick Boak, Martin's own public relations chief. Boak doesn't even try to know anything about the guy. Except maybe the nose bleed price of his bridge pinless, Pegheaded, flower inlayed tribute uke. I'll be the knows that now, to the penny

Obviously she could have pulled the plug if she wanted to. Why are you two so concerned and hateful about it? You have something at stake in the deal? Or do you just enjoy telling people what they should and shouldn't buy if it's not up to your perceived ethical standards?

The original post:
"Wonder if anyone has gotten or played one of the Martin Iz tenors yet? Would love to have some feedback on it"

You two have given zero feedback to the question, only sarcastic hateful comments

Radio Flyer
10-29-2013, 02:25 AM
well, you gotta admit it was feedback!

coolkayaker1
10-29-2013, 03:03 AM
McGee, breathe deeply and spend a couple days off UU to realign yourself. I've seen this with burnout before. Chillax, man.

All BK, kissing, Tiger, and I and a couple others are saying is that Martin, in our opinions (and everything anyone writes in the forum--even your post-- is just that, opinion) should have made this a true Martin Iz tenor replica. For us, it would have been more meaningful. The fact that Martin chose, not a replica, but a tribute uke would suggest that they know a little about the big man. And perhaps they do...but it didn't show in the NAMM video. (as kissing astutely first pointed out).

Frankly, looking over this thread now, it's quite fun, the back and forth from both sides on this thought process. An amusing fun thread.

hmgberg
10-29-2013, 03:06 AM
I've met Dick Boak, actually in a non-uke context. I was teaching art at a PA college and Dick's wife, Sue, was a secretary in the department. I was invited for dinner at their home. Both are very nice people and despite the position he holds at Martin, Dick is down-to-earth. I agree, though, that it would have been more respectful had he managed the correct pronunciation of Iz's last name. However, Dick did seen embarrassed about it in the clip. So, Steve is probably right: Dick can probably pronounce the name in his sleep. Not that he needs me to defend him, or that it will make any difference here that I do, but I don't think Dick's mess up is utterly heinous or reflects something pernicious about Martin.

I'm just offering up my personal perspective here. I'm sure some of you feel differently, as you have stated. I suppose I just feel better believing that recognition of Iz, no matter how clumsily it is delivered, or whether marketing a product is connected to it, is better than no recognition.

Skinny Money McGee
10-29-2013, 03:17 AM
McGee, breathe deeply and spend a couple days off UU to realign yourself. I've seen this with burnout before. Chillax, man.

Thanks for the advise. I assure you I'm quite relaxed. The OP asked if anyone had played one before, not whether or not you or anyone else thought it was ethical to produce it. Start another thread, you can make fun of Martin and Marlene all you want and not hear a peep out of me.

Tikiden
10-29-2013, 03:49 AM
I haven't had a chance to play an IZ model yet, but I'd like to. Yes, it's not spec'd identically and as pointed out already is more of a tribute than a replica, of course. IZ played a Martin and Martin & Co. got IZ's family on board with this model that I am sure benefits not just Martin's revenues, but IZ's family too. And it gives those who play or collect Ukuleles, or just plain IZ fans something to consider. No harm, no foul. It's all good. And by the way, the vintage market also allows us to seek out the more true to form originals if that is what is more desired. Me, I like things newer (read not wanting to pay vintage pricing for a uke that may have "issues"). A new uke is in the cards for me in and maybe a Martin if I find one I like. The IZ looks nice for something of more noteworthiness than a regular production model normally found.

hmgberg
10-29-2013, 04:00 AM
Martin makes tons of "signature" guitars, the ultimate design of which are the results of collaboration between the signature artist and Martin representatives. Here is a page from Rory Block's site about her Martin model:

http://www.roryblock.com/Pages/Page%20Links/Martin.htm

Evidently, these models are not replicas of instruments the artists played, but rather are instruments that have custom features desired by them. We don't know, or at least I don't know, how much of the design of the Iz model comes from Marlene's input and how much was a Martin decision.

Some of the discussion in this thread assumes that an "artist" model "should" be as exact in every detail to the instrument the artist actually played ala the Aldrine model, but that clearly is not Martin's idea. Some of their signature artists are not even known as guitarists; some of them who are did not typically play Martins, or so I have read.

I wish Martin would make more "signature" ukuleles in tribute to some of the fine Martin ukulele players around these days. I would be delighted to see an Ukulelezaza Style 3, or a Winin' Boy D-shaped, Style 1, particularly if these guys got to pick all the features. Heck, I might even be inclined to buy a couple.

As I wrote before, I also wish they would make the Style 1 again as it was made before they first stopped making ukes. That way, those of us on the forum who want to play an instrument like Iz played, or Ike played, or Peter Moon played, etc., but didn't want to go vintage, would have that option.

tangimango
10-29-2013, 04:30 AM
Ive just played the IZ version of the martin ukulele locally here. overall great sound (wells its a $1k martin)
one thing for sure its built very very well. so well it will surely be passed down from generation to generation like how the older vintage martins were able to have survived . would I buy it ehhhhhhh. idk.

RichM
10-29-2013, 05:15 AM
Martin makes tons of "signature" guitars, the ultimate design of which are the results of collaboration between the signature artist and Martin representatives.

One of my favorite Martin Signature guitars was the Jewel model. I'm not a fan of Jewel, particularly, but it was a beautiful small bodied guitar with a great feel and very sweet tone. I would consider one, but not because it's what Jewel plays; it's just a great guitar.

I've never understood the process of recreating an instrument that's just like someone else's instrument. I'd prefer an instrument that lets me sound like me. With that being said, I *did* buy a Ludwig Wendell Hall banjo uke because I wanted the Formby sound.

On topic: I've never played the IZ model. But it looks nice, and the price is pretty spot-on for where Martin prices are hitting right now.

Cornfield
10-29-2013, 05:35 AM
One of my favorite Martin Signature guitars was the Jewel model. I'm not a fan of Jewel, particularly, but it was a beautiful small bodied guitar with a great feel and very sweet tone. I would consider one, but not because it's what Jewel plays; it's just a great guitar.

I've never understood the process of recreating an instrument that's just like someone else's instrument. I'd prefer an instrument that lets me sound like me. With that being said, I *did* buy a Ludwig Wendell Hall banjo uke because I wanted the Formby sound.

On topic: I've never played the IZ model. But it looks nice, and the price is pretty spot-on for where Martin prices are hitting right now.

I think that Jewel is associated with Taylor Guitars. I have not seen a Martin Jewel model.

RichM
10-29-2013, 07:15 AM
I think that Jewel is associated with Taylor Guitars. I have not seen a Martin Jewel model.

oops, I stand corrected! The Jewel Signature Model was a Taylor, not a Martin, Oh well, the point is still the same: it was a good guitar because it was well-designed and well-made, not because Jewel's name was on it,

Toucan Mango
10-29-2013, 04:21 PM
These Iz models are cool, I came real close to ordering one a few weeks ago. I still might get one, it would be a cool ukulele to own.
http://www.martinguitar.com/catalogs/IZ%201T%20Tenor%20Ukulele.pdf

Sporin
11-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Thought I'd bring this back as I was just looking at it online.

I won't get into the "should they or shouldn't they/it's not exact" argument, but I will say that I think it's a very pretty uke, the flower inlay is very nice and tasteful (I'm not generally an inlay fan)

http://www.martinguitar.com/media/k2/attachments/1T_IZ_Tenor_Uke_h.jpg

Maiden Uke
11-12-2013, 06:11 AM
Many thanks to all who responded to my question here and by PM.
I apparently unintentionally caused a stir, I didn't expect this to be controversial. There are obviously strong opinions on this topic and its' offshoots.
I have been reading some of the other threads here on Martins, and I am finding a wealth of information. Many thanks to Petey Houdini for his reviews, they are very thorough and helpful.

I am still interested in hearing from people who have played or bought an IZ. I am looking at it as well as the Tenor 2 in mahogany, the T2K and the few vintage Martin Tenors that come up for sale from time to time.

I have a T1K, which I like very much. The smaller nut width and slim neck of the Martins make them very comfortable for me to play. I have a milestone coming up and I am thinking I would like to treat myself to a Nazareth Martin tenor. I may end up having to go to the factory to play each one to decide, as none of the shops near me have anything in stock to play.

If anyone knows of a trustworthy music shop or uke dealer that is doing better on the advertised prices for the above and is willing to share it, I'd appreciate that info too. Please PM me if its not publicly sharable.

Mahalo.

cigarfan
11-12-2013, 06:56 AM
I should have mine within 30 days (fingers crossed). I'll let you know.

itsme
11-12-2013, 07:20 AM
If anyone knows of a trustworthy music shop or uke dealer that is doing better on the advertised prices for the above and is willing to share it, I'd appreciate that info too.
In retail, there is often such a thing as a "minimum advertised price" (or MAP).

http://consumerist.com/2007/09/26/what-is-minimum-advertised-price/

Minimum Advertised Price is an agreement between suppliers and retailers stipulating the lowest price an item is allowed to be advertised at. If you’ve ever tried to shop around and keep nosing up against the same number, you may have just discovered that good’s MAP. This is why sometimes you see signs that say “price too low to advertise!” Or why when shopping online, sometimes the price doesn’t show up until further in the transaction process. Retailers can incur sizable fines and/or penalties from their suppliers for violating MAP contracts.
Some of the comments on that page are very relevant to this situation.

Skinny Money McGee
11-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Many thanks to all who responded to my question here and by PM.
I apparently unintentionally caused a stir, I didn't expect this to be controversial. There are obviously strong opinions on this topic and its' offshoots.

I am still interested in hearing from people who have played or bought an IZ. I am looking at it as well as the Tenor 2 in mahogany, the T2K and the few vintage Martin Tenors that come up for sale from time to time.

I have a T1K, which I like very much. The smaller nut width and slim neck of the Martins make them very comfortable for me to play. I have a milestone coming up and I am thinking I would like to treat myself to a Nazareth Martin tenor. I may end up having to go to the factory to play each one to decide, as none of the shops near me have anything in stock to play.

If anyone knows of a trustworthy music shop or uke dealer that is doing better on the advertised prices for the above and is willing to share it, I'd appreciate that info too. Please PM me if its not publicly sharable.

Mahalo.

Hey, it wasn't you that caused the stir. You asked a very simple question.
You don't mention where you are located. If you are anywhere within driving distance of Elderly Instruments in Lansing Michigan, you would most likely be able to try out all the Martin ukes including vintage, in one visit. I know a few IZ ukes have trickled out of the factory, but the general buzz is December deliveries.

http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=martin+ukulele&x=0&y=0
Ask for Andy if you call...

Maiden Uke
11-14-2013, 03:23 AM
I should have mine within 30 days (fingers crossed). I'll let you know.

Thanks Dennis, can't wait to hear your feedback!

Maiden Uke
11-14-2013, 03:25 AM
In retail, there is often such a thing as a "minimum advertised price" (or MAP).

http://consumerist.com/2007/09/26/what-is-minimum-advertised-price/

Some of the comments on that page are very relevant to this situation.

Thanks for the info

Maiden Uke
11-14-2013, 03:42 AM
Hey, it wasn't you that caused the stir. You asked a very simple question.
You don't mention where you are located. If you are anywhere within driving distance of Elderly Instruments in Lansing Michigan, you would most likely be able to try out all the Martin ukes including vintage, in one visit. I know a few IZ ukes have trickled out of the factory, but the general buzz is December deliveries.

http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=martin+ukulele&x=0&y=0
Ask for Andy if you call...

Thanks, I've been looking at the Elderly website and it's' listings. I'm on the East Coast - CT - so a trip out there would be a lot farther than going to PA. I've been looking at various music shops in NY, Mass, NH and VT, but no one seems to have much in stock right now. Maybe they are all waiting for Dec. shipments.
Appreciate the referral to Andy, helpful to have someone specific to talk to.

Skinny Money McGee
11-24-2013, 11:39 AM
IZ Tenors are in stock at Elderly now. With pickup and without.

Maiden Uke
11-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Thanks, Skinny! Funny, I called there last week (Andy was not there) and they didn't have any and weren't sure when they were coming in. They must have followed up and/or delivery coincided timing wise. Some of the other dealers I've talked with also either have gotten them or they're in transit....at least they're obtainable now. Meantime, I've explored and bid a couple of vintage Martin tenors......decision time is nigh.....

Dulcilo
03-18-2014, 04:15 PM
What did you end up with?

Maiden Uke
03-20-2014, 06:42 AM
Thanks for asking .....none of my bids on vintage Martin tenors prevailed and could not locate any within driving distance to try. As it worked out, I was not able to get to the Martin factory either...

I found an Iz in stock, ready to ship on line at Maury's Music in PA (thanks to some posts by Scooter35). I contacted them, found it was actually there ready to go...and bought it. Maury's was a pleasure to work with and I had the Iz within a couple of days. Didn't get back here to announce or post pics, Cigar Fan (Dennis) posted gorgeous pics of his anyway, which I couldn't possibly replicate. Mine looks as fantastic as his.....
I've been enjoying it for the past few months. Beautifully made, elegant "vintage" look, and great sounding! I am thrilled with it!

cigarfan
03-20-2014, 07:17 AM
Well that is just plain ole' fantastic! Congrats!

I know I love mine. Think about IZ every time I pick it up. Enjoy!

Woodman175
06-03-2014, 07:25 AM
Sorry for the late reply, I'm new on here. I own an IZ edition along with a Martin 2K and a Taylor Builders reserve mahagony. I bought mine not as an investment but just to play. The IZ sounds more like the one that IZ played than anything else I've come across. I think I need to take mine in to have the frets smoothed a little and the action lowered. I'm not sure if I'm crazy about martins new gear tuners. They look like the old friction style but are supposed to be geared inside. It has a more traditional sound than the Martin 2K which in in Koa.

Thanks,
Woodman

iamesperambient
06-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Sorry for the late reply, I'm new on here. I own an IZ edition along with a Martin 2K and a Taylor Builders reserve mahagony. I bought mine not as an investment but just to play. The IZ sounds more like the one that IZ played than anything else I've come across. I think I need to take mine in to have the frets smoothed a little and the action lowered. I'm not sure if I'm crazy about martins new gear tuners. They look like the old friction style but are supposed to be geared inside. It has a more traditional sound than the Martin 2K which in in Koa.

Thanks,
Woodman

do you play the IZ one with the low G?
I'm not sure if he always used the low G
but i was curious if you tried that on the IZ tenor
and got a very similar tone to his uke.

Woodman175
06-04-2014, 09:26 AM
I have not put a low G on it yet. I've been planning to take it in to have the action lowered and the frets smoothed by the shop I bought it from. The shop asked me to play it for a while to let it settle before i had the work done. I plan to do that this week and will have them install new strings with a low G he when they do. I will let you know what it sounds like after. Even with the high G, it still has the most similar sound to the martin IZ played of any of my ukes. If only I could play it like IZ LOL.

I have two Kanile'as in Koa, a Taylor builders reserve Mahogany, a Martin 2K in Koa and a Kala in mahogany. The only one I have the Low G. On is my Kanilea Tenor.

iamesperambient
06-04-2014, 09:28 AM
I have not put a low G on it yet. I've been planning to take it in to have the action lowered and the frets smoothed by the shop I bought it from. The shop asked me to play it for a while to let it settle before i had the work done. I plan to do that this week and will have them install new strings with a low G he when they do. I will let you know what it sounds like after. Even with the high G, it still has the most similar sound to the martin IZ played of any of my ukes. If only I could play it like IZ LOL.

I have two Kanile'as in Koa, a Taylor builders reserve Mahogany, a Martin 2K in Koa and a Kala in mahogany. The only one I have the Low G. On is my Kanilea Tenor.

awesome. I'm sure it will be fun to experiment with the low G.
Martin in general is just an amazing brand for ukes, I miss my martin (i had to sell it to pay rent some years ago).

Maiden Uke
06-04-2014, 10:42 AM

Thanks,
Woodman

Welcome to this forum. Never too late to chime in on any topic.
I am happy with my IZ in high g; I guess I'm lucky I haven't had any problems with the action or frets. I would be curious about the change to low g when you get that done.

I have been interested in the Martin 2K as well. I imagine the sound must be uniquely different than the IZ.

PeteyHoudini
06-16-2014, 02:06 PM
I have been interested in the Martin 2K as well. I imagine the sound must be uniquely different than the IZ.

Congrats on your IZ tenor.

I'll be doing my new 2K review in about a month with some of the style 2 and T1K. Just learning some classical music pieces right now to make it interesting. You will be able to hear the difference and possibly compare with your IZ tenor.

cheers,

Petey

Woodman175
06-25-2014, 08:54 PM
That sucks about having to sell your Martin. We've all been there a time or two. I think the wife would tell you that I had promised her to sell something when I bought more. I haven't been forced to yet but do have a couple I don't play much and should probably let someone else enjoy them. I did get the IZ set up and put on a low G. I was quite surprised how much it change the sound of it with the Low G. It does have that IZ sound now. As well as I can make it! LOL

Nice project you have there! Be interested to hear what it sounds like!

Woodman175
06-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Aloha and thank you for the warm welcome! I recently put a low G on my IZ and had the action lowered and frets smoothed a little. Compared to my martin 2K (Koa) the IZ was not quite as well set up when I got it. It is now though and I love it. It really changed the sound quite nicely. I only had a Low G on a Kanilea that I have and love it but of course it being Koa sounds a good bit different that the Mahagony IZ. I really think it sounds much more like the one IZ played than any of my other Ukes. Although I do have to say, I think the martin 2k was my favorite for ease of play.

Woodman175
06-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Just wanted to add that I used a classical guitar D string on recommendation from a local shop and I prefer it as opposed to the regular Low G. Being a recent convert from guitar and banjo, I'm still learning!��