Low-Tech Cheap Case Humidifier

Peterjens

Reaction score
I went to the Dollar Store and bought a 4-pack of toothbrush covers and package of sponges.
There are cheaper versions - Pez dispenser, pill bottle, etc. but this one allows you to hang into the soundhole with ease.
IMG_2941.jpgIMG_2939.jpgIMG_2938.jpg

Thanks for posting, I'll give this a try since I have some toothbrush covers lying around somewhere. How often do you have to re-wet the sponge?

Thanks for posting, I'll give this a try since I have some toothbrush covers lying around somewhere. How often do you have to re-wet the sponge?
I usually play each of my 'ukes once a week and will check upon opening the case. But as backup I have an alarm set on my smartphone to check once every two weeks.

Some free hints -
Re-wet the sponge and squeeze it so it's damp and not liable to drip.
If you have trouble getting the sponge out just blow through the four holes in the bottom - works for me everytime.

Great idea.

I might modify mine with a pocket knife to relax the strings it hangs from by cutting away the case a little bit in that area, chamfering as required for easy extraction.

Thanks,

Doug

S'more about the humidifier:
1. You can drill a hole in the side of this humidifier for more exposure to the sponge if your case cover fits too tightly.
2. if you are worried about tension on the strings, just loosen the string a bit. It's no big deal to retune prior to playing.
3. Yes, you can drop the humidifier into the body of 'uke if you want.

I have been using a damp sponge in a ziplock sandwich bag with 5-6 v-shaped slits in the bag. I set it under the headstock in the case. Works perfectly and I never have to futz with getting it in and out of the strings.

Top Bottom