PDA

View Full Version : NEW!!!! Ohana Nunes inspired ukuleles

Uke Republic
10-25-2013, 10:07 AM
We are setting up a bunch for pre orders, these have really been a long time coming but it has been well worth the wait.
Just a quick shot of the SK-28 soprano and SURPRISE!!! A concert CK-28
These are solid mahogany and have a wonderful tone. BRAVO Ohana!!!! Ace job on making these instruments available. Now back to the fun.

we tigers
10-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Love it. Especially that concert version sure looks interesting. Another soon to be Ohana classic?...

Peterjens
10-25-2013, 11:49 AM
What will be the cost of each, please?

teruterubouzu
10-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Those are lurvely!

Uke Republic
10-25-2013, 01:12 PM
What will be the cost of each, please?
We haven't listed the concert yet but list is $469.00 and we should have it for around $300.00 with a uke bag. The soprano is on the web site.
A demo vid should be soon...stay tuned.

kvehe
10-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Yay! Mine will be here Tuesday!

Kayak Jim
10-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Although I really like the look, I just don't think I'd be able to handle the flush fretboard for all around playing.

NewKid
10-25-2013, 04:35 PM
These instruments are very attractive. Finally an Ohana that doesn't have the word "ukuleles" on the headstock. I wish they would just remove that word from their regular headstocks.

ohmless
10-25-2013, 04:59 PM
I really dig how the inlay around the sound hole matches the binding. Far out of my price range though, I would still love to hear one.

KoaDependent
10-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Finally! Been waiting for these for far too long. C'mon Christmas!

Skitzic
10-25-2013, 08:48 PM
OOH concert! I lusted for the soprano, I didn't know they were developing a concert!

NEEEEEEEEEED!

equina
10-25-2013, 11:30 PM
These instruments are very attractive. Finally an Ohana that doesn't have the word "ukuleles" on the headstock. I wish they would just remove that word from their regular headstocks.

It has. The logo is behind the headstock.

Bill Mc
10-26-2013, 05:43 AM
I'd like to hear from someone who has experience playing a ukulele with a flush fret board. The look of this instrument is quite appealing. However I am doubtful of the practicality of the flush fret board. Wouldn't strumming scratch the finish off the body of the ukulele?

RyanMFT
10-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Hey Bill, I have several vintage ukes which are built this way. I don't scratch the finish at all. In fact, my vintage Martin has a lot of play wear and it has a raised fretboard. It just isn't a problem not having a raised fretboard at all.

Personally I like the look, and I like the reduced weight of the instrument as well.

Uke Republic
10-26-2013, 06:44 AM
This isn't a demo. Brought an SK-28 with me last night and jammed with a Mariachi band. Lots of fun.
On the flush fingerboard- It's great for rapid strumming as you don't hit the side of the fingerboard. Found that out last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eLm9n3y_vA

Ukejenny
10-26-2013, 07:15 AM
Wow, is the soprano Holy Grail that I've been holding out for? Have to give these a closer look on the website.

Bill Mc
10-26-2013, 08:22 AM
Hey Bill, I have several vintage ukes which are built this way. I don't scratch the finish at all. In fact, my vintage Martin has a lot of play wear and it has a raised fretboard. It just isn't a problem not having a raised fretboard at all.

Personally I like the look, and I like the reduced weight of the instrument as well.

Thanks for your answer Ryan. I appreciate your help.

Bill

taylorcrazy
10-26-2013, 04:52 PM
I got to lay my eyes and hands on the concert today during my visit to UR. BEAUTIFUL ukulele, fantastic tone.

ukuleledaveey
10-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Wow cannot wait :) any idea when these are going to be available in the UK ?

PhilUSAFRet
10-27-2013, 12:34 AM
Ken MIddleton may have a better idea on that daveey

Mattyukaholic
10-27-2013, 01:22 AM
Wow cannot wait :) any idea when these are going to be available in the UK ?

Just get one from Mike at UR. I bet you'll find that even with customs it's about the same price as one bought in the UK. It only takes just over a week to arrive. I've bought lots from UR and had a great experience.

callmemario
03-26-2014, 04:48 PM
I have exactly the same feeling as you regarding strumming straight on the uke top....same deal with the Anuenue 1879 model...BUT they sure sound GREAT!! I would like to hear from those who have played these flushed fretboards/tops.

chefy
03-26-2014, 06:27 PM
I have exactly the same feeling as you regarding strumming straight on the uke top....same deal with the Anuenue 1879 model...BUT they sure sound GREAT!! I would like to hear from those who have played these flushed fretboards/tops.

Hi there, I got a regal and a (most likely leo nunes from the 20's/30's and both have the "sweet strumming spot just by the 12th fret - very low action too - at first I hit the soundboard but after a while my brain/fingers adjusted and as a result of playing those "flush" oldies I got gentler, faster and much more conscious of it all.

Now I prefer to play the oldies and the newbies are all going one by one.

The Big Kahuna
03-26-2014, 07:57 PM
I bet you'll find that even with customs it's about the same price as one bought in the UK

There's a thread somewhere on UU where I demonstrated that most ukes would cost virtually the same, whether bought from SUS or imported, even with shipping costs. My GL6 took a week with FedEx.

mm stan
03-26-2014, 09:13 PM
Wow Mike thank you for sharing, ohana is really working on their research and development on their vintage line reproducing some favorites back then and still....
BTW thank you for the video...wow a marrachi strumm cool bruddah :)

Ukejenny
03-27-2014, 05:50 AM
I bought the Ohana SK 28 and love it!!!! I love the sound and the feel. Getting used to the flush fretboard was not an issue at all - it felt natural from the very beginning. Mim did a great setup on the instrument. I love playing it. I was never a fan of the rope purfling, but on this one, I love it.

Skinny Money McGee
03-28-2014, 09:36 AM
I played both the CK-28 & SK-28 at Elderly Instruments yesterday. Was impressed with both, especially the concert ($269.00). The Soprano ($239.00) was nice, but I really liked the big full sound of the Concert.

Anuenue makes a nice looking Nunes copy, but are very expensive, which is strange coming from Taiwan

The Ohana, (although not quite as fancy as the Anuenue), nailed the price point just right. Lotta uke for the money in my opinion.

chefy
03-29-2014, 08:59 PM
I played both the CK-28 & SK-28 at Elderly Instruments yesterday. Was impressed with both, especially the concert ($269.00). The Soprano ($239.00) was nice, but I really liked the big full sound of the Concert.

Anuenue makes a nice looking Nunes copy, but are very expensive, which is strange coming from Taiwan

The Ohana, (although not quite as fancy as the Anuenue), nailed the price point just right. Lotta uke for the money in my opinion.

The body is solid Hawaiian Koa and the uke has the PegHeds tuners, Koa saddle and nut, the vintage-style hardshell case is included in the price.

The Honolele Vintage style Sopranos might be the better ukulele than the Ohana 28's. They certainly look better finished.

http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/QUNIjOy-qZ4/mqdefault.jpg

katysax
03-30-2014, 05:08 AM
I had a chance to play the Ohana concert and soprano and I was disappointed. The painted on rope "binding" looked cheap. They seemed like Ohana medium end ukes with some embellishment painted on. The Concert had a very non traditional 14 frets to the body. A nicely made copy of a traditional uke would have been appealing, but this was not it.

Skinny Money McGee
03-30-2014, 02:36 PM
The body is solid Hawaiian Koa and the uke has the PegHeds tuners, Koa saddle and nut, the vintage-style hardshell case is included in the price.

The Honolele Vintage style Sopranos might be the better ukulele than the Ohana 28's. They certainly look better finished.

Not trying to sell the Ohana's but they do have a satin finish, not gloss. The Anuenue doesn't use a high grade Koa, pegheds cost 50 dollars retail, and an inexpensive case costs almost nothing. The cost difference between solid mahogany and a lower grade solid koa probably isn't much if any. My point was was the Ohana is 239.00, and the Anuenue is 689.00 to 729.00.

I had a chance to play the Ohana concert and soprano and I was disappointed. The painted on rope "binding" looked cheap.

The rope binding is not painted on. Very nice ukes for the money.

chefy
03-30-2014, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=Skinny Money McGee;1501470]Not trying to sell the Ohana's but they do have a satin finish, not gloss. The Anuenue doesn't use a high grade Koa, pegheds cost 50 dollars retail, and an inexpensive case costs almost nothing. The cost difference between solid mahogany and a lower grade solid koa probably isn't much if any. My point was was the Ohana is 239.00, and the Anuenue is 689.00 to 729.00.

I think there is no point comparing these two very different ukes - a bit like comparing a 20's mahogany regal to a 20's manuel nunes one. Have you got the possibility to try a 1879 Anuenue where you are?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcGMosQ1oL0

Skinny Money McGee
03-31-2014, 02:07 AM
[QUOTE=Skinny Money McGee;1501470]Not trying to sell the Ohana's but they do have a satin finish, not gloss. The Anuenue doesn't use a high grade Koa, pegheds cost 50 dollars retail, and an inexpensive case costs almost nothing. The cost difference between solid mahogany and a lower grade solid koa probably isn't much if any. My point was was the Ohana is 239.00, and the Anuenue is 689.00 to 729.00.

I think there is no point comparing these two very different ukes - a bit like comparing a 20's mahogany regal to a 20's manuel nunes one. Have you got the possibility to try a 1879 Anuenue where you are?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcGMosQ1oL0

The only comparison I was making was the price. You started comparing the wood type, tuner type and so on !!

The only uke store I visit that carries Anuenue, won't carry this model. They don't want it to become a store wall hanger. They look super nice for sure, but if they retailed for 400 less then they do, they'd have a winner. (actually the retail price on the anuenue 1879 is 859.00..)

Where are you from?

RichM
03-31-2014, 02:22 AM
I haven't played the Ohana, so I can't compare, but I do own an Anuenue 1879 and it is a top-notch professional quality ukulele, quite unlike anything else Anuenue makes.

chefy
03-31-2014, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=chefy;1501555]

The only comparison I was making was the price. You started comparing the wood type, tuner type and so on !!

The only uke store I visit that carries Anuenue, won't carry this model. They don't want it to become a store wall hanger. They look super nice for sure, but if they retailed for 400 less then they do, they'd have a winner. (actually the retail price on the anuenue 1879 is 859.00..)

Where are you from?

Fair enough - quite possibly the numbers produced will reflect on the prices too - I assume Ohana's chinese factory churns out way more 28's than the 1879's made in small batches.

I live in New Zealand since 15 years - before that I was in Switzerland.

Skinny Money McGee
04-01-2014, 01:44 AM
[QUOTE=Skinny Money McGee;1501644]

Fair enough - quite possibly the numbers produced will reflect on the prices too - I assume Ohana's chinese factory churns out way more 28's than the 1879's made in small batches.

I live in New Zealand since 15 years - before that I was in Switzerland.

I'm sure Ohana churns out more too, but I'm sure Anuenue's Chinese factory could churn more out if the price was right !! I'd love to own an 1879, and I would if they were more in the 3 to 400 range.

I've gotta go spend a month or so in NZ someday!!

chefy
04-01-2014, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=chefy;1501991]

I'm sure Ohana churns out more too, but I'm sure Anuenue's Chinese factory could churn more out if the price was right !! I'd love to own an 1879, and I would if they were more in the 3 to 400 range.

I've gotta go spend a month or so in NZ someday!!

I thought Anuenue's where made in Vietnam by hand (hence the difference in finish quality). Please drop a message if you come down under - Jam would be on!