Autographs?

KnowsPickin

Reaction score
I will be going to see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain next month. I'm considering bringing a pen and having several of the group autograph the back of my Kala flame maple uke But I worry that I will trash the value of the instrument. Perhaps I should get a beater and have it signed as a souvenir rather than risk my nice Kala.

What is your opinion of ukuleles signed by prominent players? Would it add value or trash the value?

I don't think autographs will hurt the resale value of a Kala. Might it help? Not sure, but I doubt it will hurt.

Personnaly, I wouldn't buy an autographed ukulele from someone else. it might be of value to you because you got the autograph and you saw them but to me....it means nothing. It is just me perhaps there are some people wth a different opinion.

Personnaly, I wouldn't buy an autographed ukulele from someone else. it might be of value to you because you got the autograph and you saw them but to me....it means nothing. It is just me perhaps there are some people wth a different opinion.
I agree, I don't want autographs on any uke I buy, not even Jake's. Certainly not the UOGB, I don't even know their names, let alone want them enscribed on a uke.

If you care about other people's opinion on the value of the instrument, then I recommend you don't get it signed.

My ukulele has signatures on the front. I'm sure that if I tried to sell it, its value would be lower due to the signatures. In fact, I've seen people on the UU forum write about how horrible/ugly it is because of its signatures. However, I don't plan to sell it because I absolutely love this uke. I couldn't care less about the (potential) lowered monetary value.

Last edited:
I bought a super cheap uke specifically for signatures. I call it my inspiration ukulele. I have non-uke people sign it too...everyone who inspires my creativity. I have it proudly displayed in my girl cave.

Call Mim or UR and see if they have any seconds. Do it quick before everyone goes to TBUG!

Right. Ukulele Ike, or maybe Barry Manilow. But that's it.

Barry Manilow? :confused: :wtf:

haha. memories. My brother once had a HOF baseball player sign a hockey puck. Best part is someone actually bought it from his shop!

No writing on my ukes. Under the right circumstances, I could see getting an autograph on my abs.

I would not mind someone famous autographing one of their checks to me,preferably in an amount sufficient to purchase a K brand or custom UKE. Other than that dont care much for autographs...

I can't imagine paying more for a uke because of an autograph, in fact I'd most likely pay less or not want it at all.

We saw the Uke Orch of GB earlier this year, and you're in for a fun show...very enjoyable. I toyed with the idea of bringing maybe a smiley face or pineapple laminate uke to have signed, but it just didn't seem worth the bother...guess I just don't get the value of autographs personally. The times we've seen Jake S he's always been in the back afterward signing things, but again, it just didn't seem worthwhile to me, though there were a lot lined up who obviously don't agree with that.

But Barry Manilow?? I'm trying to picture a $1000 Koa uke with a big permanent marker Barry Manilow signature on it, and wondering how on earth to get it off...

"How come you have a big pickguard on the back of your ukulele, aren't they supposed to go on the front?"
"Barry Manilow"
"Oh. OK, that makes sense."

Last edited:
I play only Kamaka because I can afford it. I write the songs that make the whole world sing. i demand perfection.

All the fellas down at the Copa Cabana want me to sign their lowly Koalohas and Kanileas. One wanted me to autograph a Kala. Dreadful!

Bottom line: if I autograph a uke, it'll be a Kamaka. Mostly because Jake and I are like this (twirls fingers around one another) and my signature, because I don't give it out to every fat housewife from Des Moines, is worth something, so it might as well be on a Kamaka.

One of my handlers showed me on his iPad that my John Hancock on a cocktail napkin is going for five hundred clams on eVilBay right now. So there! (Sticks out tongue).

So, bottom line, if you want me to sign a uke, get a Kamaka, bring it to my show in Las Vegas, leave it with my stagehand, and if I'm in a good mood and had my tranquilizers after the show, I might get around to whipping out my fatty headed Sharpie "Big Boy" marker and blessing you with my scribble. Capice?

With utter disdain, signed, Barry Manilow. (That's Mister Manilow to you guys.).

Last edited:
Top Bottom