PDA

View Full Version : Autographs?

KnowsPickin
10-25-2013, 04:50 PM
I will be going to see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain next month. I'm considering bringing a pen and having several of the group autograph the back of my Kala flame maple uke But I worry that I will trash the value of the instrument. Perhaps I should get a beater and have it signed as a souvenir rather than risk my nice Kala.

What is your opinion of ukuleles signed by prominent players? Would it add value or trash the value?

ohmless
10-25-2013, 04:56 PM
either way you choose, I would have them sign a uke that you don't play regularly so they don't wear off or something.

Tigeralum2001
10-25-2013, 06:01 PM
I don't think autographs will hurt the resale value of a Kala. Might it help? Not sure, but I doubt it will hurt.

Alloalexandre
10-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Personnaly, I wouldn't buy an autographed ukulele from someone else. it might be of value to you because you got the autograph and you saw them but to me....it means nothing. It is just me perhaps there are some people wth a different opinion.

itsme
10-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Personnaly, I wouldn't buy an autographed ukulele from someone else. it might be of value to you because you got the autograph and you saw them but to me....it means nothing. It is just me perhaps there are some people wth a different opinion.
I agree, I don't want autographs on any uke I buy, not even Jake's. Certainly not the UOGB, I don't even know their names, let alone want them enscribed on a uke.

lizziep
10-25-2013, 06:11 PM
If you care about other people's opinion on the value of the instrument, then I recommend you don't get it signed.

My ukulele has signatures on the front. I'm sure that if I tried to sell it, its value would be lower due to the signatures. In fact, I've seen people on the UU forum write about how horrible/ugly it is because of its signatures. However, I don't plan to sell it because I absolutely love this uke. I couldn't care less about the (potential) lowered monetary value.

hilot.h.
10-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Back in the ealry 80's I had Gabby and Andy Cummings sign my uke case.Worked for me.

lancemanion
10-25-2013, 08:19 PM
From experience, if you have a uke signed that you play often, it will wear off.

Skitzic
10-25-2013, 08:43 PM
I bought a super cheap uke specifically for signatures. I call it my inspiration ukulele. I have non-uke people sign it too...everyone who inspires my creativity. I have it proudly displayed in my girl cave.

Call Mim or UR and see if they have any seconds. Do it quick before everyone goes to TBUG!

uketeecee
10-26-2013, 02:56 AM
The only autograph on a uke that I'd be prepared to pay for, is Ukulele Ike who died 45 years ago.

coolkayaker1
10-26-2013, 03:10 AM
Right. Ukulele Ike, or maybe Barry Manilow. But that's it.

Jim Hanks
10-26-2013, 05:37 AM
Barry Manilow? :confused: :wtf:

hilot.h.
10-26-2013, 05:43 AM
Barry Manilow? :confused: :wtf:
I could be wrong,but I think it's a joke.

Radio Flyer
10-26-2013, 05:44 AM
that would be like having a baseball with hillary clinton's name on it.

ohmless
10-26-2013, 05:50 AM
haha. memories. My brother once had a HOF baseball player sign a hockey puck. Best part is someone actually bought it from his shop!

bborzell
10-26-2013, 04:20 PM
No writing on my ukes. Under the right circumstances, I could see getting an autograph on my abs.

Kdogg
10-26-2013, 04:56 PM
I would not mind someone famous autographing one of their checks to me,preferably in an amount sufficient to purchase a K brand or custom UKE. Other than that dont care much for autographs...

Flyinby
10-27-2013, 07:18 PM
I can't imagine paying more for a uke because of an autograph, in fact I'd most likely pay less or not want it at all.

We saw the Uke Orch of GB earlier this year, and you're in for a fun show...very enjoyable. I toyed with the idea of bringing maybe a smiley face or pineapple laminate uke to have signed, but it just didn't seem worth the bother...guess I just don't get the value of autographs personally. The times we've seen Jake S he's always been in the back afterward signing things, but again, it just didn't seem worthwhile to me, though there were a lot lined up who obviously don't agree with that.

But Barry Manilow?? I'm trying to picture a $1000 Koa uke with a big permanent marker Barry Manilow signature on it, and wondering how on earth to get it off...

"How come you have a big pickguard on the back of your ukulele, aren't they supposed to go on the front?"
"Barry Manilow"
"Oh. OK, that makes sense."

coolkayaker1
10-28-2013, 12:03 AM
I play only Kamaka because I can afford it. I write the songs that make the whole world sing. i demand perfection.

All the fellas down at the Copa Cabana want me to sign their lowly Koalohas and Kanileas. One wanted me to autograph a Kala. Dreadful!

Bottom line: if I autograph a uke, it'll be a Kamaka. Mostly because Jake and I are like this (twirls fingers around one another) and my signature, because I don't give it out to every fat housewife from Des Moines, is worth something, so it might as well be on a Kamaka.

One of my handlers showed me on his iPad that my John Hancock on a cocktail napkin is going for five hundred clams on eVilBay right now. So there! (Sticks out tongue).

So, bottom line, if you want me to sign a uke, get a Kamaka, bring it to my show in Las Vegas, leave it with my stagehand, and if I'm in a good mood and had my tranquilizers after the show, I might get around to whipping out my fatty headed Sharpie "Big Boy" marker and blessing you with my scribble. Capice?

With utter disdain, signed, Barry Manilow. (That's Mister Manilow to you guys.).

Hippie Dribble
10-28-2013, 12:28 AM
The only autograph on a uke that I'd be prepared to pay for, is Ukulele Ike who died 45 years ago.

where's the like button when you need it?

kevlar70
10-28-2013, 01:40 AM
I've thought a bit about this recently. Personally, I would find it much more valuable to ask a Jake or a James to play a song on my uke rather than sign it. Knowing that that noise can come out of my instrument would be inspiring to keep practicing.

An autograph is only capturing a moment in time and merely affirms that the artist can sign their name.

hent
10-28-2013, 05:55 AM
Well maybe when Jake hits it really big time.... then maybe I should have him sign my uke when I had the chance... Oh well...

lizziep
10-28-2013, 02:41 PM
I can't wait to get signatures from Barry Manilow and also Lionel Ritchie!

Look at me, haters!
http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab152/greencurrytofu/847cdd8e-4fb1-4af3-9397-9c129f7699dc_zpscc537297.jpg

And here's another good one, even though it's not a signature:
http://d1n51d37v3y820.cloudfront.net/files/imagecache/900wide/gallery/eddie-vedder112.jpg

ukemunga
10-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Perfect uke for this autograph!

ukemunga
10-28-2013, 03:21 PM
I don't really think an autograph would have much impact on a Kala. UOGB has a wide following and is known to many ukulele players, so I doubt that it would be much of a re-sale issue if the uke still sounds great and you get the price right. But from my observations of people who did get their Kala autographed by UOGB, you are unlikely to ever want to sell it anyway. More likely you would be giving a Kala away or sharing it with new friends to help them get started. And some UOGB signatures are a great talking point when you are helping new friends get started.
If you feel awkward or concerned about getting an autograph, then get a photograph of you talking to the UOGB members. It is easy to make yourself several copies and put them about your house for inspiration or send to your family etc. If you buy a CD at the show, put a copy of the photo in the CD cover etc.
I heard that when Barry Manilow recently toured Central Illinois, one poor soul waited in the rain for four hours to get his Kamaka autographed.

Wait! You mean Barry Manilow plays the uke? Really? Where have I been? Interesting.

Paul December
10-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Thank you for this timely post, possibly someone could help me...
I recently went to see Jake play and brought my Dolphin uke to play along with him during the concert.
Afterwards I stopped to say "hi" and to see what he thought of my playing...
...well, before I could say anything he took my uke and signed it! Not wanting his signature, I'm thinking of contacting him to see if he'd pay to have the signature removed.
Anyone know how difficult it will be to remove the signature? Will the entire top need to be replaced?!

coolkayaker1
10-28-2013, 10:53 PM
I heard that when Barry Manilow recently toured Central Illinois, one poor soul waited in the rain for four hours to get his Kamaka autographed.

:)You heard right, Bill. That was my next door neighbor, Venu Patel. But, he tried to get Manilow to sign his Kanilea. I told him it wouldn't fly; only Kamakas (Manilow's rule, not mine).

Manilow laughed in his face, literally! Venu said the man has breath like rotting Idaho spuds in a forgotten root cellar; so now that takes a little away from the "Manilow is God" thing for all of us, I'd say.

To your comment below, Lizziep, word on the street has it that Lionel Ritchie will sign even an Oscar Schmidt. And that he uses Scope. So, yea, he's pretty "up there" in my book, to say the least.

Paul, Jake wields the MarksALot like an Uzi. I thought you knew that.

lizziep
10-29-2013, 01:38 PM
coolkayaker1, I guess I'll have to do some dancing on the ceiling on my uke!

lizziep
10-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Anyone know how difficult it will be to remove the signature? Will the entire top need to be replaced?!

According to people in this thread, if you play your uke enough, the signature will wear off.

lizziep
10-29-2013, 01:41 PM
This is a truly perfect uke for the autograph. Match made in heaven.

Perfect uke for this autograph!

Flyinby
10-29-2013, 07:34 PM
I recently went to see Jake play and brought my Dolphin uke to play along with him during the concert.
Afterwards I stopped to say "hi" and to see what he thought of my playing...
...well, before I could say anything he took my uke and signed it! Not wanting his signature, I'm thinking of contacting him to see if he'd pay to have the signature removed.

It's hard to hear the audience from the stage, so he probably didn't even realize you were helping him out. You probably needed to play louder, and preferably sing along. Everyone loves it when someone in the audience has a uke and plays along and sings all the words he knows while Jake plays 'While my Guitar Gently Weeps". As long as you know most of the chords, play loud and belt it out. For the songs you don't know, just drum on the uke, or else see if you can find the right chords to play along by trial and error.

If you take the uke he signed, and do as instructed above, you shouldn't have to worry about trying to remove the signature anymore...

igorthebarbarian
10-29-2013, 07:58 PM
I'd rather have a picture with them vs. an autograph any day.

ohmless
10-29-2013, 08:01 PM
might be a good idea just to have him take a couple strums on your uke to put some of his mojo into your instrument? I think that would be just as special as a sig.

Matimeo
10-30-2013, 01:11 AM
My first uke was a regular Makala (not even a dolphin). It is slowly starting to gather signatures as souvenirs.

Ukuleledad
11-02-2013, 05:59 AM
A while ago I was raising some money for a Ukulele Club aimed at supporting the children of Prisoners. The UOGB very kindly signed a number of mahalo ukuleles for me which I auctioned off. The ukuleles did sell for more than their retail price.