'Tain't No Sin to Take off Your Skin and Dance Around in Your Bones

Jnobianchi

Reaction score
Here's the Three-Quarter Quartet - Ben Mealer (uke), Eli Hetko (guitar) and me (banjo uke) - with a quick take on a Walter Donaldson hit, 'Taint No Sin to Take off Your Skin and Dance Around in Your Bones. This recorded last Friday night, 10/19, at the Ukulele Cabaret's Halloween show at Jimmy's No. 43 in the East Village, NYC.

Well, John; it's about time you made a record of all these great, forgotten songs. With the right equipment, you can do it at home! Solos, duos, trios....we'd love to hear it, for sure.

That was fun!

Another great performance! Thanks, John! I always enjoy your music... I wish I could sing and play like that!

Ahh, Doc. Thank you for the vote of confidence. As I'm out of work these days, I have time to give it a try. :)

I'm with Doc, buddy! Get these recorded! Awesome job as always :)

T

First of all, Mr. Bianchi, I would like to compliment you on another number executed with virtuosity and taste. Of course, I could say that about all of your performances; frankly, I would never have picked up a ukulele in the first place if I hadn't had the good fortune of stumbling upon your channel a while ago. Though your playing is more restrained in this ensemble setting, you continue to demonstrate thoroughly the marvels of which the instrument is capable.

To the point, however, I noticed that throughout the song there is a strange apparatus hovering near your lips. I presume you used it to achieve a classic "megaphone" vocal effect...but how exactly did you obtain or construct it? I'm certain such a device would be incredibly handy, and I yearn to know more about it. I hope you will be kind enough to respond to my query.

Once again, let me thank you for sharing this with all of us here at the forum and with everyone else who, like me, will discover its enchantment.

I'm with Doc, buddy! Get these recorded! Awesome job as always :)

Thanks, buddy! I appreciate it. It's been more than awhile - let's catch up on email when you have time! I want to hear what you've been up to.

Ragtime Life, that's very kind of you; I'm glad I was a good influence!

The megaphone was actually really easy to make. I used an antique cardboard megaphone, which I got on eBay for about 12 dollars, shipping included. I use a basic mike stand, I bought a screw-on gooseneck attachment for the stand, and cut a hole in the megaphone the size of the open, threaded end of the gooseneck. Then you just secure the megaphone to the gooseneck with the screw-on washer that caps the mike stand. I also use a pair of unthreaded galvanized washers to protect the cardboard of the megaphone and make the connection more solid and secure. It sounds more complicated than it is, but in the end, you've got a pretty easy to assemble megaphone/stand. The only downside is that it's heavy, and if you're already carrying a couple of ukes and your costume, the base of the mike stand is 15 pounds of deadweight.

I got the idea from my friend Vince Giordano, who doesn't use a stand, but instead, screws the threaded gooseneck into a panel in the ceiling. It works very well for him. Check out Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks if you don't already know them - they are the band on the soundtrack for every episode of "Boardwalk Empire".

Wow! Absolutely glorious John. Hat is off, yet again. Smiles for miles and miles... :)

Mr. Bianchi, thank you so much for the kind, helpful, and very thorough reply. That megaphone definitely seems like something I could make.

I am also glad to say that I have had the pleasure of listening to Mr. Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks before...though I envy the fact that you, of course, have had the far superior pleasure of actually sitting in with them!

I'd definitely come and hear your Three-Quarter Quartet somewhere in New York. I especially like the white-tie dress code of your group.

Top Bottom