PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele Sweet Spot

NewKid
10-26-2013, 12:40 AM
There seems to be a lot of ukulele collection downsizing going on recently and lots of amazing deals in the marketplace.

I've downsized to two tenors by selling and giving away my other ukes.

It feels quite liberating to have simplified my ukulele choices and my other instruments have found really nice new homes.

Any one else feel like this after a couple of years of UAS or is this just another phase of the syndrome? I'm hoping I've truly found my Ukulele Sweet Spot.

mkatz
10-26-2013, 01:28 AM
One can only hope.

Mitch

Hippie Dribble
10-26-2013, 02:19 AM
I believe they call it remission Don. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Your (friendly) doctor,

eugene

ichadwick
10-26-2013, 02:26 AM
I went through that with guitars, synthesizers, vinyl records, DVDs, even books...I gave away more than 30 boxes of books and a dozen boxes of DVDs to my local library.

Somehow my "sweet spot" for ukes seems about a dozen...

mangorockfish
10-26-2013, 04:42 AM
New Kid, I've been thinking about doing that very same thing.

lakesideglenn
10-26-2013, 05:32 AM
C'mon Don...youre not missing the Pohaku you sold me? :cool:

NewKid
10-26-2013, 05:50 AM
C'mon Don...youre not missing the Pohaku you sold me? :cool:

Well, I wasn't until you just brought it up Glenn...:stop: As long as you're enjoying it I'm happy.

Dan Uke
10-26-2013, 06:57 AM
My sweet spot would be 2, low G & high G but my ideal number is higher.

Hochapeafarm
10-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Yes, I agree with the concept of the "ukulele sweet spot." My UAS mostly had to do with finding the *right* uke to play that would least aggravate my fretting hand wrist/forearm pain issues. My UAS journey revealed that I needed a uke with a narrow nut width and thin neck profile. That said, I feel very much at home with my latest (and dare I say, last) acquisition -- my Martin T1K tenor -- I love this uke. Furthermore, because the uke is so comfortable for me to play, I can play for longer periods of time and more frequently -- and that makes me so very happy. However, I also have another uke as a travel/back-up uke.

Hochapeafarm
10-26-2013, 07:05 AM
I believe they call it remission Don. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Your (friendly) doctor,

eugene

I loved it, Eugene! :-) Too funny!

Ukejenny
10-26-2013, 07:12 AM
I believe what you are going through is called a Minimalist Phase and that you will fall off (or is it back on???) the wagon within 12 to 18 months. But, enjoy the satisfying simplicity while you can!!!

mm stan
10-26-2013, 07:21 AM

Your (friendly) doctor,

eugene

You are one of more fortunate ones I presume.....not all will have the same enlightment as you... as Mitch said....One can only hope.....

NewKid
10-26-2013, 09:22 AM
I believe what you are going through is called a Minimalist Phase and that you will fall off (or is it back on???) the wagon within 12 to 18 months. But, enjoy the satisfying simplicity while you can!!!

Minimalist phase indeed. You and Dr. Eugene are absolutely right Jenny.

My UAS has probably just evolved to a narrower size of ukulele. There's still a lot of fine tenor builders out there!

pdxuke
10-26-2013, 09:37 AM
I've gone thru a downsizing, and still have too many. I'm not yet at my sweet spot. I need to sell a few more.

To me, a sweet spot would be at about 8: --3 baritones (the Martin, Favilla and Kamaka) and 5 sopranos. So far, the keeper sopranos must include the Martin 48 style "0", the Kamaka pineapple, The modern Martin two. I'm stuck on which of my others to keep. Perhaps the Redhead and painted Favilla, and sell the Martin 1 and the TV Pal and the OXK.

But, I certainly have more thinning to do.

Enjoying the heck out of what I have, however.

EDITED TO SAY: Oh who am I kidding? I won't be selling that Martin 1 or the OXK...

Appalachian picker
10-26-2013, 12:21 PM
.....Bill said....."I need to have some variety and also know that playing a different instrument is a very good learning and mind expanding exercise. I think it is very beneficial to keep a D tuned soprano, C tuned concert/tenor and a G tune baritone on hand, and to learn the fretboards on them all. Obviously you will always have your favourite, but the others will help you learn an amazing amount of stuff about your favourite. You do have the rest of your life to learn, and I hope most of the people who read this will have at least 20 years to look ahead. It can be a boring prospect to think about only ever learning one thing when there is so much interesting stuff around and 20 years to explore it all."

I've only got one ukulele - a vintage barry tone. Is that "boring?" Heck no, not to me anyway. There are sooo many things you can learn that you never have to be bored - if you don't want to be. There's different techniques ie "simple" strumming....fingerpicking, flat picking, hybrid picking....slide...etc....different genres of music ie. blues, rock, jazz etc etc.

I think the only way to get bored is to allow yourself to get bored.

I was responding to this post by Bill.

Dan Uke
10-26-2013, 12:29 PM
who said we're bored? I dont think I've purchased another uke for that reason...I guess I have another reason to justify another purchase

pdxuke
10-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Boredom---no. Lust--yes.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-26-2013, 12:52 PM
There seems to be a lot of ukulele collection downsizing going on recently and lots of amazing deals in the marketplace.

I'm so thrilled with my new Luis Feu de Mesquita tenor ukaferri that I've unleashed (sold or given away) everything else except my Mike Pereira Custom tenor. I've come to the conclusion that my learning and enjoyment of the instrument is going to be much more efficient and satisfying with one size and one tuning - ala the Jake Shimabukuro model. So I'm concentrating on my LFdM tenor in reentrant C tuning for the foreseeable future.

It feels quite liberating to have simplified my ukulele choices and my other instruments have found really nice new homes.

Any one else feel like this after a couple of years of UAS or is this just another phase of the syndrome? I'm hoping I've truly found my Ukulele Sweet Spot.

Thank you for telling me. I can bump someone else up on my list now. Too bad, your turn was coming up soon!

mm stan
10-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Thank you for telling me. I can bump someone else up on my list now. Too bad, your turn was coming up soon!

Ha Ha Just what I was thinking......Can I have Don's spot then.....>>>>>>> :)

Dan Uke
10-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Ha Ha Just what I was thinking......Can I have Don's spot then.....>>>>>>> :)

Chuck,

Don't you have a waiting list to get on the waiting list in case someone cancels? Stan can I go before you since you have more MBUs than me? hahaha

LifesShort
10-26-2013, 01:20 PM
My number is 3: low G tenor, high G tenor, and a Bb baritone. Years ago I went through GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome). I accumulated quite a few guitars and I was constantly buying and selling. Then I bought an Everett guitar made by Kent Everett, an Atlanta luthier. That was probably 7 years ago. I sold off or gave away all of my other guitars. I've never played another guitar that I enjoy playing like this one. For me, it is perfect in every way. I hope to one day be fortunate enough to find my perfect uke, also.

taylorcrazy
10-26-2013, 02:25 PM
I have been going through a similar phase with my guitars over the last month or two. I am, however, still a Uke Noob, so if I can help any of you moving through this phase, please send me all of your ukes that will help you get to your ideal number! ;) Seriously, best of luck to all who are paring down the collection.

taylorcrazy
10-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Sorry, duplicate entry.

janeray1940
10-26-2013, 02:54 PM

I received my custom 19-fret soprano a year and a half ago, and have not been seriously tempted by another uke since. I have three ukes - the custom, a Kamaka pineapple, and a low G Kamaka concert, and that really does cover all of my uke needs. Had I not needed a few more frets, I would really have been quite satisfied with just the two Kamakas.

I'd consider adding a National resonator and/or a Kamaka longneck or Ohta-san to my rather minimal collection if the right uke came up at the right time, but I'm not exactly going out of my way to track one down. So - I don't know if this is "remission" or "immunity" to temptation, but until my uke needs really change, I'm good :)

konut
10-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Its a journey. Keep on truckin'.

Bumgardner
10-26-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm glad to hear that you have found a happy place! We all go through phases of acquisition.

I found my sweet spot with guitars over 10 years ago. 1 acoustic, 1 electric, 1 distortion pedal, and 1 nice tube amp. My guitar line up has stayed unchanged, I did switch amps 3-4 years ago though. I fully intend to keep my current guitar line up for the foreseeable future.

My ukulele line up is pretty much where I want it. I won't be 100% settled on it till my Kinnard Tenor arrives, but considering it meets my expectations I will not be buying any more ukuleles.

I think the real key to finding the sweet spot is knowing what you want. A big part of that is knowing and finding the tone that you want. You also have to learn to manage your expectations you have of the instrument that you play. Remember that the nut behind the ukulele is the one that really makes the biggest difference.

NewKid
10-26-2013, 05:47 PM

Very funny. I'm not even on the list to get on the list.

kohanmike
10-26-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm going in the opposite direction (UAS has a good hold on me). After only playing for about 4-5 months, I'm now up to six ukes, all configured exactly the same, tenor cutaway acoustic/electric (some I've added the electronics myself). They differ only in materials. My latest acquisition was just today when I tracked down a beauty I saw online a couple days ago that was no longer available, but tenacity pays off, I discovered it was an OEM and got to the manufacturer who found it in their warehouse. Including shipping and a gig bag, it was $187, what a deal (almost makes UAS worthwhile).

http://www.kohanmike.com/images/2 hole uke all.JPG

sukie
10-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Me? I'm done. I think I have the best ukulele out there. I've had my ukulele for 3 years and I am not even tempted to get another one. I am becoming "one" with my ukulele.

consitter
10-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Me? I'm done. I think I have the best ukulele out there. I've had my ukulele for 3 years and I am not even tempted to get another one. I am becoming "one" with my ukulele.

Meh. I've seen it. It's mediocre at best.

:D

Luv ya Sukie.

sukie
10-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Meh. I've seen it. It's mediocre at best.

:D

Luv ya Sukie.
Says you. .

consitter
10-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Says you. .

Yeah, it's definitely got a lot of worshipers out there. Could be a little better than 'meh'.

gyosh
10-26-2013, 06:53 PM

Ahem.

You mean second best:)

sukie
10-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Ahem.

You mean second best:)

Nope. I mean the best.

Dan Uke
10-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Very funny. I'm not even on the list to get on the list. Who wants your priceless, magnificent instruments any way (besides Tigeralum2001, wickedwahine11, coolcow, and Gerald Ross)?

I feel bad to tell you this but I think that list should be shorter as there might be a closet MBU owner!!

mm stan
10-26-2013, 11:01 PM
I feel bad to tell you this but I think that list should be shorter as there might be a closet MBU owner!!
Plural man....Plural man....he he

larson1951
10-26-2013, 11:10 PM
since they all sound slightly different i maintain that a person should as many as possible
this is my rule anyway

steve

hammer40
10-27-2013, 12:08 AM
If it was just about finding a uke that you liked or loved, we would all probably stop with one. The problem for me is that you get a different sound from the different woods used, or how the uke is voiced by any particular luthier/brand, not to mention the scale of the instrument. My CR walnut sounds quite different then my BI mango, not better or worse, just different. So on any particular day, some ukes don't get played, depending on a mood or particular sound I want to hear.

AndrewKuker
10-27-2013, 01:03 AM
Selling ukes takes time and energy. It's definitely more satisfying to play them. Selling them won't improve your playing, enjoyment, efficiency, and the only liberation I can imagine would be paying some bills. Which is cool, we all have those, but beyond that you lost me.

Ukulele Eddie
10-27-2013, 06:53 AM
I've only recently discovered the wonderful world of ukes and definitely suffer from an early stage of UAS which has not yet fully manifested itself. I can imagine having 3-4 eventually. I imagine I will have one treasure that will be my lifelong companion and rotate others around them so that I can experience many different ones over my lifetime. Right now, I love playing anything I can, reading reviews and admiring the beauty of different woods and styles as I seek to become more educated ("Education is important, but ukes are importanter." :D

I think ukes are a lot like cars. Some people own a number of cars because they may have different utilities (a sports car, an SUV, a convertible, etc.) and/or because they appreciate their beauty. Bought right and taken care of, they can enjoy them for a few years and then sell them at a very effective total cost of ownership and move on to something else. Others strongly identify with only one type (Porsche, Maserati, Corvette, Mustang), spend hours meeting with other similar owners admiring each others cars (and in some cases rarely driving!). And yet some people spend countless hours researching cars, test driving them, but never end up really owning. For them it may be more the process of researching, appreciating and learning that is fulfilling rather than actually owning and driving.

One things is for sure, they take up a lot less room than collecting cars. ;-)

pdxuke
10-27-2013, 06:59 AM
It's also fun to buy a new uke. They don't have to be budget busters, and I have bought many new ukes just to try, only to sell them when I'm done with them. I've always considered it the price of my education, and also part of the cost/pleasure ratio.

Freeda
10-27-2013, 08:24 AM
I went through several styles before I figured out what I like. Now it's about becoming a better player rather than trying to purchase a better sound.