What Can We do to Memorialize MGM and Remember him here on UU forever?

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
MIKE RIP 10.22.13 008.jpg
Mike Lived in one of the most Beautiful Places in Oahu, at the foot of the Koolaus....now he is in a even more beautiful place....
Yes amazing stunning mountain views from the prestigious gated community.

I know Moderator Danny has put him in a Uke talk Sticky....but is there more we can do? ...Anybody have any creative ideas....He was an amazing guy that has done so much for so many. I really think he deserves it :) Please post your thoughts.....

Last edited:
Stan, I was thinking the same thing.

Here's one idea that was posted in the sticky thread:

....We can all remember him every time we play a tune on one of the instruments he lovingly sold to us. What a nice tribute it would be if we recorded a song for him on soundcloud or youtube, played on an MGM instrument....

Maybe someone could create a sticky thread in "Links and Videos" for people to post video tributes to Mike.

I was wondering if it would be possible to create a "Mike Aratani Award" or "MusicGuyMic Award" that could be an ukulele and/or a plaque or something, given annually to someone (chosen by Mike's friends or family, or the staff at HMS, or the UU staff and/or moderators or a committee or something, maybe from UU community nominations), who best represents the Aloha Spirit Mike exemplified. I wonder if we could get Hawaii builders to donate ukuleles ....

Last edited:
I know Moderator Danny has put him in a Uke talk Sticky....but is there more we can do? ...Anybody have any creative ideas....He was an amazing guy that has done so much for so many. I really think he deserves it :) Please post your thoughts.....

I started a thread asking folks to post pics of the ukes he sold them and record a song. But I know there's more we can do.

Outside UU, I wonder if Andrew could develop a Pono and name it after Mike (or rename an existing model). Perhaps fund his charity, or a scholarship, or benefit his family.

Last edited:
I started a thread asking folks to post pics of the ukes he sold them and record a song. But I know there's more we can do.

Outside UU, I wonder if Andrew could develop a Pono and name it after Mike (or rename an existing model). Perhaps fund his charity, or a scholarship, or benefit his family.
Joe Of Kanilea was talking to Mike about a Mike uke when we visited him in the hospital.....maybe one will be built....

Joe Of Kanilea was talking to Mike about a Mike uke when we visited him in the hospital.....maybe one will be built....

That would be lovely.

Mike was also a man of the people, as you know. To set up a Dolphin and sell it probably cost him money, but he did it because he loved the hobby and wanted everyone to be able to have a nice uke.

I don't know if a scholarship fund, or any other kind of fun is being set up in his honor, but wouldn't it be nice if we could donate our $10 or whatever, and get a case sticker that was designed to honor Mike? That way, everyone would have a way to honor him. I'd put mine right on the Pink Dolphin he sold me.

I wonder what it would cost to get that going? Does anyone know if there's a cause Mike was fond of? Maybe we could do this on UU?

How about some kind of a fund to raise money to buy ukes for needy kids? Or schools? Or... ? Maybe a manufacturer, or more than one, would make them available at wholesale?

Was thinking the same thing. Have MGM as the headstock logo, and proceeds go to what ever Mike would have wanted.

Aloha Mark and Pdxuke, This is a great idea to make videos playing mikes ukes or doing a memorial song to him and make it a Sticky or on Seasons :)

Last edited:
That would be lovely.

Mike was also a man of the people, as you know. To set up a Dolphin and sell it probably cost him money, but he did it because he loved the hobby and wanted everyone to be able to have a nice uke.

I don't know if a scholarship fund, or any other kind of fun is being set up in his honor, but wouldn't it be nice if we could donate our $10 or whatever, and get a case sticker that was designed to honor Mike? That way, everyone would have a way to honor him. I'd put mine right on the Pink Dolphin he sold me.

I wonder what it would cost to get that going? Does anyone know if there's a cause Mike was fond of? Maybe we could do this on UU?

Maybe a Sticker..."Remember Mike" or "Remember MGM" for a donation Five to Ten Dollars towards a charity or kids ukulele group class.....

How about some kind of a fund to raise money to buy ukes for needy kids? Or schools? Or... ? Maybe a manufacturer, or more than one, would make them available at wholesale?

Ukemunga,

That's a good idea. If we can inspire more kids to take up music it would be a living memorial.

Cliff

Maybe a Sticker..."Remember Mike" or "Remember MGM" for a donation Five to Ten Dollars towards a charity or kids ukulele group class.....

Yes, that was what I was thinking. In addition to whatever else anyone does (from a custom Mike uke to song tributes, etc) it would just be nice to honor Mike's everyman quality by creating a memorial benefiting something he believed in, and something everyperson could afford.

Yes, that was what I was thinking. In addition to whatever else anyone does (from a custom Mike uke to song tributes, etc) it would just be nice to honor Mike's everyman quality by creating a memorial benefiting something he believed in, and something everyperson could afford.

WHERES MY LIKE BUTTON.. :)
Wish the Mods would okay raffle for a donated Mike Uke here....if we had one.... :)

Not sure Doc, but his main passion was music and ukes....that was his vehicle to make a difference in this world....he helped and changed many lives though his kindness, music and the ukulele.
Yes I remember captain google, and many may have forgotten him or not known him....that is why I started this thread...to remember them in some way here.. :)

Maybe instead of "Eddie Would Go", the sticker should read "Mike Would Uke"

A lot of great ideas. We definitely should do something and

I agree with Stan, whatever we do should involve music and ukuleles.

Rest in peace MGM.

Last edited:
You sometimes learn more of a friend after they have passed away......Mike had another passion so dear to him....he wanted to change his gravel to a fleuro green...he raised these from babies
MIKE RIP 10.22.13 006.jpg

I would be interested in doing something like this. We can do many things that can memorialize MGM, but something lasting and collective is something I would like to participate in too. (Plus, my uke playing ability doesn't honor anyone. :uhoh:)

To simplify everyone's heartfelt do-gooder tribute thoughts...

Why not start a general charitable contribution-based "provide ukuleles" fund. A simple holding account with no administrative overhead. Entities could apply for "grants" of various sizes to supply beginner ukes for any good cause that would foster more players.

A quasi board of overseers could gather and present information requests presented as polls here with qualifying backup info for each request. We could all vote on the requests to choose the recipients.

Thinking out loud.

Top Bottom