PDA

View Full Version : What Can We do to Memorialize MGM and Remember him here on UU forever?

mm stan
10-26-2013, 07:27 AM
Mike Lived in one of the most Beautiful Places in Oahu, at the foot of the Koolaus....now he is in a even more beautiful place....
Yes amazing stunning mountain views from the prestigious gated community.

I know Moderator Danny has put him in a Uke talk Sticky....but is there more we can do? ...Anybody have any creative ideas....He was an amazing guy that has done so much for so many. I really think he deserves it :) Please post your thoughts.....

mds725
10-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Stan, I was thinking the same thing.

Here's one idea that was posted in the sticky thread:

....We can all remember him every time we play a tune on one of the instruments he lovingly sold to us. What a nice tribute it would be if we recorded a song for him on soundcloud or youtube, played on an MGM instrument....

Maybe someone could create a sticky thread in "Links and Videos" for people to post video tributes to Mike.

I was wondering if it would be possible to create a "Mike Aratani Award" or "MusicGuyMic Award" that could be an ukulele and/or a plaque or something, given annually to someone (chosen by Mike's friends or family, or the staff at HMS, or the UU staff and/or moderators or a committee or something, maybe from UU community nominations), who best represents the Aloha Spirit Mike exemplified. I wonder if we could get Hawaii builders to donate ukuleles ....

pdxuke
10-26-2013, 07:45 AM
I know Moderator Danny has put him in a Uke talk Sticky....but is there more we can do? ...Anybody have any creative ideas....He was an amazing guy that has done so much for so many. I really think he deserves it :) Please post your thoughts.....

I started a thread asking folks to post pics of the ukes he sold them and record a song. But I know there's more we can do.

Outside UU, I wonder if Andrew could develop a Pono and name it after Mike (or rename an existing model). Perhaps fund his charity, or a scholarship, or benefit his family.

mm stan
10-26-2013, 09:08 AM
I started a thread asking folks to post pics of the ukes he sold them and record a song. But I know there's more we can do.

Outside UU, I wonder if Andrew could develop a Pono and name it after Mike (or rename an existing model). Perhaps fund his charity, or a scholarship, or benefit his family.
Joe Of Kanilea was talking to Mike about a Mike uke when we visited him in the hospital.....maybe one will be built....

pdxuke
10-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Joe Of Kanilea was talking to Mike about a Mike uke when we visited him in the hospital.....maybe one will be built....

That would be lovely.

Mike was also a man of the people, as you know. To set up a Dolphin and sell it probably cost him money, but he did it because he loved the hobby and wanted everyone to be able to have a nice uke.

I don't know if a scholarship fund, or any other kind of fun is being set up in his honor, but wouldn't it be nice if we could donate our $10 or whatever, and get a case sticker that was designed to honor Mike? That way, everyone would have a way to honor him. I'd put mine right on the Pink Dolphin he sold me.

I wonder what it would cost to get that going? Does anyone know if there's a cause Mike was fond of? Maybe we could do this on UU?

ukemunga
10-26-2013, 09:29 AM
How about some kind of a fund to raise money to buy ukes for needy kids? Or schools? Or... ? Maybe a manufacturer, or more than one, would make them available at wholesale?

Skinny Money McGee
10-26-2013, 09:43 AM

Was thinking the same thing. Have MGM as the headstock logo, and proceeds go to what ever Mike would have wanted.

mm stan
10-26-2013, 09:45 AM

Aloha Mark and Pdxuke, This is a great idea to make videos playing mikes ukes or doing a memorial song to him and make it a Sticky or on Seasons :)

mm stan
10-26-2013, 09:48 AM
That would be lovely.

Mike was also a man of the people, as you know. To set up a Dolphin and sell it probably cost him money, but he did it because he loved the hobby and wanted everyone to be able to have a nice uke.

I don't know if a scholarship fund, or any other kind of fun is being set up in his honor, but wouldn't it be nice if we could donate our $10 or whatever, and get a case sticker that was designed to honor Mike? That way, everyone would have a way to honor him. I'd put mine right on the Pink Dolphin he sold me.

I wonder what it would cost to get that going? Does anyone know if there's a cause Mike was fond of? Maybe we could do this on UU?

Maybe a Sticker..."Remember Mike" or "Remember MGM" for a donation Five to Ten Dollars towards a charity or kids ukulele group class.....

Osprey
10-26-2013, 09:53 AM
How about some kind of a fund to raise money to buy ukes for needy kids? Or schools? Or... ? Maybe a manufacturer, or more than one, would make them available at wholesale?

Ukemunga,

That's a good idea. If we can inspire more kids to take up music it would be a living memorial.

Cliff

pdxuke
10-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Maybe a Sticker..."Remember Mike" or "Remember MGM" for a donation Five to Ten Dollars towards a charity or kids ukulele group class.....

Yes, that was what I was thinking. In addition to whatever else anyone does (from a custom Mike uke to song tributes, etc) it would just be nice to honor Mike's everyman quality by creating a memorial benefiting something he believed in, and something everyperson could afford.

mm stan
10-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Yes, that was what I was thinking. In addition to whatever else anyone does (from a custom Mike uke to song tributes, etc) it would just be nice to honor Mike's everyman quality by creating a memorial benefiting something he believed in, and something everyperson could afford.

WHERES MY LIKE BUTTON.. :)
Wish the Mods would okay raffle for a donated Mike Uke here....if we had one.... :)

Doc_J
10-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Maybe you all remember when we had a younger member pass away from muscular dystrophy in 2009 ( Vincent Rooney a.k.a "Captain Google" ). A tribute video was made to memorialize him. Later a member compilation CD was made and sold to provide money for a donation to the Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Foundation.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?23131-Ukulele-Underground-United-for-the-Duchenne-Foundation

Is there a foundation Mike would have liked us to fund?

mm stan
10-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Not sure Doc, but his main passion was music and ukes....that was his vehicle to make a difference in this world....he helped and changed many lives though his kindness, music and the ukulele.
Yes I remember captain google, and many may have forgotten him or not known him....that is why I started this thread...to remember them in some way here.. :)

coolkayaker1
10-26-2013, 11:01 AM

Maybe instead of "Eddie Would Go", the sticker should read "Mike Would Uke"

guitharsis
10-26-2013, 01:51 PM
A lot of great ideas. We definitely should do something and

I agree with Stan, whatever we do should involve music and ukuleles.

Rest in peace MGM.

greenie44
10-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Maybe instead of "Eddie Would Go", the sticker should read "Mike Would Uke"

Great idea! Put me down for 6!

mm stan
10-26-2013, 02:35 PM
You sometimes learn more of a friend after they have passed away......Mike had another passion so dear to him....he wanted to change his gravel to a fleuro green...he raised these from babies

wayfarer75
10-26-2013, 02:38 PM

I would be interested in doing something like this. We can do many things that can memorialize MGM, but something lasting and collective is something I would like to participate in too. (Plus, my uke playing ability doesn't honor anyone. :uhoh:)

ukemunga
10-26-2013, 04:09 PM
To simplify everyone's heartfelt do-gooder tribute thoughts...

Why not start a general charitable contribution-based "provide ukuleles" fund. A simple holding account with no administrative overhead. Entities could apply for "grants" of various sizes to supply beginner ukes for any good cause that would foster more players.

A quasi board of overseers could gather and present information requests presented as polls here with qualifying backup info for each request. We could all vote on the requests to choose the recipients.

Thinking out loud.

mm stan
10-26-2013, 05:31 PM
yes keep them Idea's coming gang.....we hope to put something together for Mike.....

ricdoug
10-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Put every one of the Friday Follies into a single memorial thread. Ric

UkuEroll
10-27-2013, 01:39 AM
I think it would be fitting for one of the big builders to make a MGM Signature Series. He did so much to promote the Ukulele.

ScooterD35
10-27-2013, 03:34 AM
One thing that comes to mind is a new Forum category in Mike's honor. Perhaps we could call it "MGM's Aloha Spirit" or something and have it be a place where folks could share stories of gifted Ukes, good deeds, exceptional dealer experiences, worthy Uke-related fundraisers and, of course, memories of Mike.

About ten years ago over at the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum, we started a thread and collectively came up with specs for a UMGF custom guitar. The deal with Martin was, if we could get a commitment of 10 orders, they would not only produce it at a discount, but add it as an unofficial part of their regular line up. (Yes, you can actually go to a Martin dealer and order a UMGF guitar and when the dealer contacts Martin, they will know exactly what they are talking about.)

So... perhaps we could work out something similar with one the Hawaian K-brands. We could work out the specs as a community via polls and such and get enough folks to pre-order to make it worth their while to produce it.

Scooter

Chris Tarman
10-27-2013, 03:58 AM
These are all great ideas. I like the MGM Tribute Model uke idea, and hope that one (or more!) builders/companies will produce one at some point. As a quicker project, I LOVE the sticker idea, with the proceeds going to some sort of uke-related charity (or something else he would have liked). With all the places like CafePress and Zazzle, that could actually be set up and available in a really short time. I'd buy a sticker for every case I have (that's a lot!), and some extras for future cases!

coolkayaker1
10-27-2013, 04:23 AM
These are all great ideas. I like the MGM Tribute Model uke idea, and hope that one (or more!) builders/companies will produce one at some point. As a quicker project, I LOVE the sticker idea, with the proceeds going to some sort of uke-related charity (or something else he would have liked). With all the places like CafePress and Zazzle, that could actually be set up and available in a really short time. I'd buy a sticker for every case I have (that's a lot!), and some extras for future cases!

I'm with Chris on the sticker. And instead of the heroic Hawaiian Eddie Aikau's "Eddie Would Go" t-shirts and bumper stickers, ours could read: "Mike Would Uke" Or "MGM Would Uke". Ukers would know what it means, and when others ask about it, gives us the chance to tell them about the immortal Mike A.

The Big Kahuna
10-27-2013, 04:37 AM
When in doubt, just ask yourselves the following question:

WWMGMD

hawaii 50
10-27-2013, 06:16 AM
I heard rumors that Kala may do somekind of MGM uke...
and also a one off Kanile'a

a while back Kala did a run of ukes with Mike's autograph on the headstock...I have seen it at The Ukulele Site(aka HMS)Mike had many of the famous ukulele players sign it....

if you go to the HMS store check it out....

mm stan
10-27-2013, 06:59 AM
Kala and mike were very close....he shared his ideas with them ....heard they sent a lovely flower arrangement just as Andrew did too....
I know joe did mention to mike even before he passed a Mike uke....I cannot wait....lets hope it's more than one

pdxuke
10-27-2013, 07:02 AM
Kala and mike were very close....he shared his ideas with them ....heard they sent a lovely flower arrangement just as Andrew did too....
I know joe did mention to mike even before he passed a Mike uke....I cannot wait....lets hope it's more than one

You know, I'd love to see an MGM Dolphin. Mike was probably responsible for putting more Dolphins in our hand than anyone, and thru this he got many of us going and enjoying uke playing. Of course a fancier Mike tribute would also be nice and appropriate, but I cannot think or play my Dolphin (which I still have) without thinking of Mike.

kaizersoza
10-27-2013, 09:32 AM
I haven't read all the threads, But why not hold an annual competition say charge $5 to enter and put auke up for the winner and donate the rest to a worthy charity in Mikes name

PereBourik
10-27-2013, 10:18 AM
I want a video tutorial to teach us to do the strum and picking riff he did on every demo.

A tribute uke or ukes is fine. So is a sticker. But those are in group things, in-crowd things. But sit down in any jam or Kanikapila and play that and it will be instant aloha.

Sylvan
10-27-2013, 10:47 AM
To simplify everyone's heartfelt do-gooder tribute thoughts...

Why not start a general charitable contribution-based "provide ukuleles" fund. A simple holding account with no administrative overhead. Entities could apply for "grants" of various sizes to supply beginner ukes for any good cause that would foster more players.

A quasi board of overseers could gather and present information requests presented as polls here with qualifying backup info for each request. We could all vote on the requests to choose the recipients.

Thinking out loud.

I second this concept. The best way to honor MGM would be to spread the beautiful sound of the ukulele outward from the existing ukulele community. Preferably, ukes would be sent to educational groups willing to teach kids who would otherwise not be able to afford such lessons. Manufacturers or other groups could sell whatever items they want in honor of MGM with profits going to the "provide ukulele fund". Let's grow the ukulele community and nurture it in a new generation.

Freeda
10-27-2013, 10:54 AM
I think the sticker idea is easy to implement and likely to get a favorable response. Many of the other ideas presented are good but would require a concerted and organized long term effort. Those types of things are the least likely to succeed over time, in my experience.

vanflynn
10-27-2013, 12:41 PM

I think Mike would like to see ukes getting into the hands of kids and HMS/Pono have that means already in place http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulele-donation-for-children . Maybe we could donate in Mike's name.

coolkayaker1
10-28-2013, 12:16 AM
I think the sticker idea is easy to implement and likely to get a favorable response. Many of the other ideas presented are good but would require a concerted and organized long term effort. Those types of things are the least likely to succeed over time, in my experience.
Well said. And true.

mm stan
10-28-2013, 01:47 AM

Yes Anybody good for graphics design for a sticker....we need a talented person to help....

kaizersoza
10-28-2013, 01:48 AM

Great idea

coolkayaker1
10-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Yes Anybody good for graphics design for a sticker....we need a talented person to help....

Stan, isn't Captain Lovehandles the defacto UU artist? Anyone know him and can send him this thread? (Watch him be the one guy to whom MGM sold a Dolphin with a buzz).

mm stan
10-28-2013, 02:48 AM
Stan, isn't Captain Lovehandles the defacto UU artist? Anyone know him and can send him this thread? (Watch him be the one guy to whom MGM sold a Dolphin with a buzz).

Good Idea Steve...I do not know him though.....

BlueLatitude
10-28-2013, 03:17 AM
I think Mike would like to see ukes getting into the hands of kids and HMS/Pono have that means already in place http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulele-donation-for-children . Maybe we could donate in Mike's name.

Seems easy and logical.

guitharsis
10-28-2013, 03:49 AM
Seems easy and logical.
It does seem easy and logical. We could donate individually and also donate proceeds from stickers etc.

Sporin
10-28-2013, 04:52 AM
A sticker is a great idea, with the proceeds to go to a charity.

I'm thinking about the smallish, oval memorial stickers and patches NFL players wear on their helmets when someone in the organization dies. Like the Pats did when the owner's wife passed {MHK}.

Sell them individually or in packs of 5. I'll put one on my Dolphin and both cars.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0109/bos_u_mhk_600.jpg

They did it as a small lapel pin as well. I could see something like this with MGM and a little uke or hawaiian flower where the Pats logo is.

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/mhkpin2011.jpg

Just some ideas, offered humbly.

Also, I'm not a lawyer, but I'd guess that whoever did this would need to get permission from MGM's family/heirs.

urcuzzn
10-28-2013, 10:56 AM
lets put his caricature on the back of a nice tee-shirt and do a limited run for interested uu friends.
i'll take 2 shirts xl in white please

mm stan
10-28-2013, 12:41 PM
lets put his caricature on the back of a nice tee-shirt and do a limited run for interested uu friends.
i'll take 2 shirts xl in white please

Yes Peter,
A remember Mike logo in the back of a shirt...I'd wear it to all the uke fests....great idea

The Big Kahuna
10-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Just print my avatar out and stick it everywhere.

Nobody can resist scanning a QR code ;)

The Big Kahuna
10-29-2013, 12:34 PM
If you don't know what it is, install one of the many free barcode scanner apps on your smartphone and scan it.

Maybe Andrew K can get a bunch of stickers printed up, and stick one on the back of the headstock on every Uke he sells :)

AndrewKuker
10-29-2013, 10:32 PM
I stopped feeling sorry for myself for a minute and had an idea similar to others but more of a shell outline.. We could start an MGM foundation, here at ukuleleunderground. What we will need is a payment gateway for donation. No biggie. We make it a new board here called MGM Aloha foundation (or something similar?). We will start by HMS automatically donating 500 a month to the fund. Anyone can donate. Where does the money go? At the board people start threads on what it should be used for, uke wise. Any needy talent, any school with no funding but a teacher willing and able. We go to a manufacturer direct (through us at cost) and utilize this money for some real good causes( mostly those that perpetuate aloha). Who decides? There needs to be a panel that you can give your opinion to but no one should come into this expecting or thinking the members owe them I am sure we will get to the right people.
Now that's quite vague in detail but an outline that popped in my head. The MGM Aloha Foundation… Non profit filed…right? Geez, I'm too busy, someone else in the panel, I already do this at our website. But if we get this going, HMS will kick in 500 a month every month. And send the winner the uke at cost with setup. In loving memory and thanks to MGM for his direction and Aloha. And it would be an interesting board of threads on ideas for the donation. Making a difference? I think it could.

mm stan
10-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Aloha Andrew,
Great idea if we can start it, I have a old friend of Mike and she is looking into the shirts and stickers...you can take care of the ukes...we need to talk more about this ...
"Perpetuating Mike's Dreams" ....let me know...

BlueLatitude
10-30-2013, 03:12 AM
That would definitely be something I would and could donate to.

seeso
10-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Just had an idea for a video.

We can put the call out on Facebook and Youtube for pictures of you and the ukulele(s) you bought from Mike. At a predetermined date, we'd then take all the pictures and create a slideshow set to a song that we can agree on.

It would be a neat way to show just a fraction of how many people's lives he had enriched with an ukulele.

mm stan
10-30-2013, 10:34 AM

We can put the call out on Facebook and Youtube for pictures of you and the ukulele(s) you bought from Mike. At a predetermined date, we'd then take all the pictures and create a slideshow set to a song that we can agree on.

It would be a neat way to show just a fraction of how many people's lives he had enriched with an ukulele.
Oh great idea seeso...love it

hawaii 50
10-30-2013, 10:36 AM

I have pictures of Mike holding my uke...that would be cool too!

The Big Kahuna
10-30-2013, 10:50 AM
The BBC made this video for the annual Children in Need charity (I suppose you guys would call it a Telethon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN90xB7DswE

Maybe if everyone could agree on a song (perhaps something with a few instrumental sections, for those of us who's voices are classified as Weapons of mass destruction), post up the tab so we're all playing the same thing, and submit videos, which will then be hacked together by someone who actually knows how to do that stuff (I'll stick with the still images, if it's all the same to you).

Just another thought (which has probably already been suggested, but...tl;dr).

stevepetergal
10-30-2013, 04:46 PM
I would love to put a memorial sticker on the instruments I bought from Mike over the years. (ala jockomo)

Another idea might be a thread on which we might post videos in remembrance. I'd love to play a tribute on a Music Guy Mike ukulele.

itsme
10-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Ya know what would probably mean a lot to MGM personally and in his memory?

If people would become organ donors. I know that's asking a lot, and most of us don't want to think about it.

He needed a liver transplant. He never got it. :(

Tigeralum2001
10-30-2013, 06:31 PM
I stopped feeling sorry for myself for a minute and had an idea similar to others but more of a shell outline.. We could start an MGM foundation, here at ukuleleunderground. What we will need is a payment gateway for donation. No biggie. We make it a new board here called MGM Aloha foundation (or something similar?). We will start by HMS automatically donating 500 a month to the fund. Anyone can donate. Where does the money go? At the board people start threads on what it should be used for, uke wise. Any needy talent, any school with no funding but a teacher willing and able. We go to a manufacturer direct (through us at cost) and utilize this money for some real good causes( mostly those that perpetuate aloha). Who decides? There needs to be a panel that you can give your opinion to but no one should come into this expecting or thinking the members owe them I am sure we will get to the right people.
Now that's quite vague in detail but an outline that popped in my head. The MGM Aloha Foundation… Non profit filed…right? Geez, I'm too busy, someone else in the panel, I already do this at our website. But if we get this going, HMS will kick in 500 a month every month. And send the winner the uke at cost with setup. In loving memory and thanks to MGM for his direction and Aloha. And it would be an interesting board of threads on ideas for the donation. Making a difference? I think it could.

Wow; very generous of you Andrew and HMS! I can only imagine how that can go a LONG way spreading the Aloha. I can only imagine how it could be used- outfitting schools with ukes, encouraging those with talent but limited resources... so many options. Mike is smiling hearing about this, no doubt.

Tigeralum2001
10-30-2013, 06:32 PM

If people would become organ donors. I know that's asking a lot, and most of us don't want to think about it.

Good point. You can't take them with you, people!

Chris Tarman
10-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Just print my avatar out and stick it everywhere.

Nobody can resist scanning a QR code ;)

Wow, that is extremely cool! I want one!

mds725
10-30-2013, 07:15 PM

I've already signed up to be an organ donor. Mike's passing is an important reminder of how important organ donation is.

mm stan
10-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Okay we will talk to the tee shirt company in a few days.....got the pricing we will keep you informed...woo hoo :) "Remember Mike"

coolkayaker1
10-31-2013, 06:02 PM
Andrew, you are a kind and generous person.

I hope your idea gets moved along. It's a good one, but will take effort.

MGM Foundation for good uke cause, Aloha cause.

I also remember your story of how you and your Dads ukulele goodwill to that school was completely abused. That's a strong word, but il think right. As I recall, you donated a bunch of ukes to a kid's school, only to find them completely unused and locked in a closet some time later. That's horrifically irresponsible of the school.

Anyhow, Mike sure made an impression on many people. There's no refuting that. He's special. I wish I was in Hawaii to pay my respects.