Low G on Soprano?

Kyle23

Reaction score
Ok let me first say I'm asking this because I'm an idiot and bought a single Low G on ebay thinking it was the whole set of strings lol. I was going to put a a set of Aquilas on my concert with a Low G, but I found out after I bought it that it was only one string so my dilemma is either I put a single string on my concert or replace the G on my soprano. I don't want to put it on the soprano if it's not going to sound very good and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing it, but if anyone has, how does it sound? Is it worth putting on or should I wait to get a full set of strings for my concert?

Yes, I have a low G on my SK-21M (Sopranino!) and it sounds great. (It was an unexpected gift, and I like small instruments).

Another yes vote; I have a low-G soprano. I like it for playing alone, but the few times I took it to a group lesson, I thought it sounded a little weird.

Appreciate it guys. I'll try it out and let you know what I think!

Low G on a soprano is cool, but based on my experience, I always had to cut the nut slot wider to accommodate the low G string (making the uke non-usable except with a nut change for high G again due to potential buzzing).

It's not really a tuning for everyone. Some liked my Low G soprano and otehrs didn't.

A soprano scale length is the least "efficient" for low g. That being said, lots of folks love it. That's all that really matters.

I stick to Low G on my tenor and have dabbled with it
on a concert scale (twice!) but the one time I tried it
on one of my sopranos it sounded chronic to me,so I
abandoned the idea.But of course,as has been said in
this thread already,if you like it and it works for you,
go for it!

Mitch, curious: did you have to widen the nut slot? Or did Mya Moe have to widen it if you ordered it as such from them? Thanks.

My first Mya-Moe soprano, which Kvehe now owns, came with re-entrant tuning. Gordon gave me a wound low G which I put on without any modifications and it worked out fine. My current Mya Moe soprano came from them with a low G.

Mitch

I have a Waverly Street soprano, strung Low-g that I got from Mitch (mkatz).

For some songs, it is the only uke I can play - nothing else sounds quite right.

-Kurt​

My 1932 Martin Style 2 is a low G and sounds amazing. You can see it and hear it in my Youtube channel.
No reason not to use low G. If you like the sound and you don't need high G for your style of playing it's a great sound.

Want to really go over the edge? Put a low G in the position of the A string. If GCEA can be stepped up to ADF#B, it can also be pulled up to A on the other side as well. That's what Dirk at Southcoast uses as the intervals for his cuatro tuning. I run that way of stringing on a bari as well as a soprano.

Top Bottom