PDA

View Full Version : Season 89 - The Zombie BODY PARTS Monster Mash!

Pages : [1] 2

GinnyT11
10-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Welcome to the Zombie BODY PARTS Monster Mash!

Do you like the way the gym is decorated? It took hours to hang the spider webs and bats on elastic strings. We've got candy corn and fun-sized Snickers, and there are two kinds of punch. (The one in the pumpkin bowl has more punch, if you know what I mean.)

Our challenge this Halloween week is
songs with a body part in the title,
or songs whose lyrics are primarily about a body's parts.
Note 1: Only human body parts.
Note 2: No songs about body parts that are covered by a bathing suit...but you knew that.

Some ideas to get you started:
Hair
Doctor, My Eyes
$20 Nosebleed
Beans in My Ears (Cha...?)
Talk Back, Trembling Lips
Put Your Head on My Shoulder
Roll in My Sweet Baby's Arms
Put Your Hand in the Hand
Belly Full of Beer (TCK87...?)
Knees Up, Mother Brown (UkeyDave or Daveey...?)
Your Feet's Too Big
It's a Heartache
Lazybones

Songs in languages besides English are welcome! Bring 'em!

SETUP
1. Submit one official entry, with a limit of 65 takes (ha).
You may submit many bonuses, but they must be new. (Put extras and old videos on Misfits Island.)

2. Ukulele front and center.

3. Say or make clear that you recorded your video for the 89th Season.

4. Multitracking is okay, but limit the scope—maybe just one harmonizing vocal or a rhythm track.

5. No songs posted until Sunday, 6am New York time, which is Sunday, 11am Greenwich Mean Time.
Challenge ends Sunday, Nov. 3, at 11:59 pm Hawaii time.

Newcomers are invited and very, very welcome here!

"JUDGING"
—There will be two winners based on my subjective evaluation of overall performance. (Note: This can be your best performance. I've been following Seasons since week 19 and I know most of your performance styles pretty well.)
—There will be one lucky winner drawn from a hat. Anyone can win!

Prizes still being determined. I need to head out to the landfill.

SONG of the WEEK—Monster Mash
In a new recording, bring on your costumes, extra players/singers, odd lighting, overacting, woodland animals, and weird-music tracks (theremins a plus!). OR PLAY IT IN AN UNEXPECTED MUSICAL STYLE.
I made a separate playlist, and a special winner for the weirdest, zaniest video will be chosen by my alter-ego:

Seasonista Love
Please comment on more of your fellow Seasonistas' songs than you have in the past.
Just like you, every player loves to get encouraging comments. A tiny effort of commenting is greatly magnified in the receiver's heart...and everyone has a heart.

PLAYLIST (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9BbtugDPwVP5imUn52N0EuoSmYkMuMQY)

BONUS LIST (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9BbtugDPwVN5hFWrfJwnOW55rNazO5Ck)

Monster Mash LIST (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9BbtugDPwVNx-0PVmUONky4LBljdklgc)

GinnyT11
10-26-2013, 04:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbvZlQJ3ekw

Here's an introductory song for this Season that I almost-learned today. The Db, Ab, Eb, Bbm, Ab, Db, Ab in the bridge is a harder nut to crack than I thought.

I was going to apologize for being un-good, but the fizzy Ms. Wendy (UkeCan1) encouraged me to press on, no matter what. So I shall admit that I loved singing this twilight-zone song. Behold: the un-good!

UkeCan1
10-26-2013, 06:18 PM
LOVE it! Have already compiled a long list of candidates, and got a positive ruling from Miss Ginnivere on one of my favorites.

"I Hold Your Hand in Mine" was the first one to come to my mind, but I see you have beat me to it! I might just have to add some harmonies with you, splendiferous Ginny! Kudos for jumping in with playful abandon to start off the Season on the perfect seasonal blend of the whimsical and the macabre.

It pretty sure won't be us, and it strikes me as belonging in the "songs you can't play on the uke" thread, but SOMEBODY MUST DO THIS ONE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqDBB0no6dQ

PLEEEEEEASE?!

- Fizzy Wendy (or as Ginny has dubbed me, Wendolina)

ukuLily Mars
10-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Here's an introductory song for this Season that I almost-learned today. The Db, Ab, Eb, Bbm, Ab, Db, Ab in the bridge is a harder nut to crack than I thought.
No reason you can't enter this in Season 88! Go do that. I'll wait.

This is going to be a great week! What a fun theme! Although, umm, you do know what these people are capable of, right???

bird's eye view of my ukelele
10-26-2013, 08:16 PM
great theme, great intro and intro vid

Sunday, 11am Greenwich Mean Time.
as a brit i would like to thank you for making that so UK specific. we have just gone back from british summer time to GMT, so this is on the button, i don't have to do ANY maths (that's english for math ;) )

myrnaukelele
10-26-2013, 08:25 PM
You can find just about anything on the internetz these days.
http://www.songfacts.com/category-songs_with_body_parts_in_the_title.php

ukuleledaddy
10-26-2013, 08:26 PM
GREAT theme Ginny! For the past year I had thought that if I were to host Halloween week, this is the exact theme I would have chosen. Many ideas, very little time. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. I personally hope somebody does These Eyes by Guess Who, a personal favorite of mine and one which I just can't seem to get right.

10-26-2013, 08:33 PM
thanks i was gonna go look for a list but you saved me the bother. what with ginny doing the 24 hour clock math(s) for me, and now this, i can only assume someone else will swing by, play my uke, record my vid, and post it on youtube for me. what a relaxing week

ukuleledaddy
10-26-2013, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=GinnyT11;1415814]
No songs about body parts that are covered by a bathing suit...but you knew that.

Really? How about no songs about body parts that are covered by a bathing suit on the French Riviera? There's a great song by Joe Walsh that would fit this theme perfectly!

Joko
10-26-2013, 11:28 PM

Very useful! Thank you!

Looking forward to this week, Ginny!

mythinformed
10-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Oh My Ding-A-Ling !! :D

10-27-2013, 12:22 AM
oh my days

heaven preserve us from mythinformed's ding-a-ling

UkeCan1
10-27-2013, 03:22 AM

I'm pretty sure your ding-a-ling would be covered by a bathing suit. Or perhaps liability insurance.

(Wait, did I just say that?! I don't even know you....)

10-27-2013, 03:44 AM
oh lordy i'm first with a vid

where is pa???

did i get the time wrong even with ginny's help?

can i even tell the time?

have i got the right DAY?

oh well, courage ma brave

let's just do it

here is my vid, "she has eyes" by L7

i can't see it counting as my best performance. unless L7 is ginny's super duper mega favourite band of all time. which they MIGHT be. but realistically, i'm putting all my hopes into being drawn out of the hat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w23QQEIenF0

xommen
10-27-2013, 04:58 AM
This is my entry into this season for now, it somehow feels like al my vids of last week were better, that is why it is for now ;-).
U2 - Trying to throw your arms around the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvAjOQsZAr8

GinnyT11
10-27-2013, 05:10 AM
Bird's Eye View - She Has Eyes - The early bird gets the first playlist spot! Nice one, Lynda. I particularly liked the increased tension and vibe at the end. Like the final flourish that makes the crowd go wild and be ready to catch you when you dive into the mosh-pit audience.

moved to bonus list instead

GinnyT11
10-27-2013, 05:38 AM
GREAT theme Ginny! For the past year I had thought that if I were to host Halloween week, this is the exact theme I would have chosen. Many ideas, very little time. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. I personally hope somebody does These Eyes by Guess Who, a personal favorite of mine and one which I just can't seem to get right.

No songs about body parts that are covered by a bathing suit...but you knew that.

Really? How about no songs about body parts that are covered by a bathing suit on the French Riviera? There's a great song by Joe Walsh that would fit this theme perfectly!

Sean, I've also had this theme idea for a year, and each week I've been glad to see that it was not chosen.
I'm looking forward to the three to five songs you will post this week. :)

French Riviera bathing suits...hmm. I think Bikini Atoll bathing suits is as far as I'll allow.

TCK
10-27-2013, 05:54 AM
Welcome to the Zombie BODY PARTS Monster Mash!

Note 2: No songs about body parts that are covered by a bathing suit...but you knew that.

My inner (OK- outer) ten year old is having a little tantrum over this, but this is going to be a smashing week! Eliminating naughty bits narrowed my field down to 300 or so...but I will manage :) Thanks for hosting Ginny- See you soon with a song

ukuleledaddy
10-27-2013, 06:12 AM
French Riviera bathing suits...hmm. I think Bikini Atoll bathing suits is as far as I'll allow.

It's just as well Ginny. I have a list of songs that would take me everyday until Christmas to work on already. Looks like there won't be much house work done around Casa de Ukedaddy this week either. My apologies to Ukulelewife.

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 06:37 AM
Maybe it's just my laziness but why wouldn't you play D A E Bm D A? You could capo on fret one if it was a tad too low to sing although I am aware that is known as cheating in some circles.
Having said that I LOVE the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbvZlQJ3ekw

I was going to apologize for being un-good, but the fizzy Ms. Wendy (UkeCan1) encouraged me to press on, no matter what. So I shall admit that I loved singing this twilight-zone song. Behold: the un-good!

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 06:41 AM
So... in the UK is a polymath a polymaths?

great theme, great intro and intro vid

as a brit i would like to thank you for making that so UK specific. we have just gone back from british summer time to GMT, so this is on the button, i don't have to do ANY maths (that's english for math ;) )

GinnyT11
10-27-2013, 06:53 AM
My inner (OK- outer) ten year old is having a little tantrum over this, but this is going to be a smashing week! Eliminating naughty bits narrowed my field down to 300 or so...but I will manage :)

Looking forward to your many songs, Dave.

Years ago I was on a writer's trip to Scotland and our little group attended the Highland Games at Nairn, which was also attended by the very young Princess Diana. I loved it—it was exciting to see burly men toss the caber and heave the sheaf.

Since I chat people up to get anecdotes to write about, I started talking to a kilted athlete on the sidelines. I said I understood that nothing was worn beneath the kilt [old joke]. He replied, "They made us wear underwear today so the prinCESS wouldn't see any rude bits."

Joko
10-27-2013, 06:58 AM
oh lordy i'm first with a vid

here is my vid, "she has eyes" by L7

i can't see it counting as my best performance. unless L7 is ginny's super duper mega favourite band of all time. which they MIGHT be. but realistically, i'm putting all my hopes into being drawn out of the hat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w23QQEIenF0

That was great! That C-Am (or was that an A?) back and forth... those two chords are the bread and butter, the coffee and cigarettes, the meat and potatoes, the gin and tonic, the Sigfried and Roy, the Jordan and Pippen, the Abbot and Costello, the momma and apple pie of the ukulele.

GinnyT11
10-27-2013, 06:58 AM
Maybe it's just my laziness but why wouldn't you play D A E Bm D A? You could capo on fret one if it was a tad too low to sing although I am aware that is known as cheating in some circles.
Having said that I LOVE the video!

Alan, if even one hundredth of my brain were musically inclined, I might have musical strategies like you suggest.
I dropped the Lehrer Youtube on Chordify, and that's what it came up with. I liked all the flats in the bridge for the mood; I just couldn't play them. I did drop a couple chords.

Joko
10-27-2013, 07:24 AM
If I do ever end up covering a Nickelback song here for the Seasons, someone please get my account cancelled.

For this week, I cover a Creed tune, which isn't as bad as Nickelback, but it is still Xtian rock. I can't help myself. I liked this tune, and when I saw it on the page chock full of songs with body parts in it, I had to do it. With Arms Wide Open...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkQ9UeCypAQ

librainian
10-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Haha! Super fun theme! Ginny, you'll be glad to hear I have another Pink Martini song I got dibs on. It's entirely in French if that narrows it down for you. That should scare off the faint hearted. This will give me a chance to break out my super awesome high school French chops. Monsieur Barlands are you out there? Merci bein!

GinnyT11
10-27-2013, 07:45 AM
xommen - Wanting to Throw Your Arms Around the World - Wanting to throw your arms around the world here is, to me, extreme feminism, and I think extremes are scary. Thanks for bringing another U2 song; it sounds quite different when you play a soprano uke.

Joko - With Arms Wide Open - I won't tell anyone you did a Creed song, but I love the intention of the lyrics, and I like the images behind you. One thing we have to adapt to as adults is that the endless options we started out with narrow to a thin stream. But the exchange for wisdom is worth it.

GinnyT11
10-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Haha! Super fun theme! Ginny, you'll be glad to hear I have another Pink Martini song I got dibs on. It's entirely in French if that narrows it down for you. That should scare off the faint hearted. This will give me a chance to break out my super awesome high school French chops. Monsieur Barlands are you out there? Merci bein!

Oh la la, monsieur—tu parle français aussi? Such a Hemingway you must be!

librainian
10-27-2013, 07:49 AM

I think we need a special ruling for ZZ Top - Tush. I think someone (preferably with an Eluke) must cover this.

Host?

GinnyT11
10-27-2013, 07:54 AM
I think we need a special ruling for ZZ Top - Tush. I think someone (preferably with an Eluke) must cover this.
Host?

Andrew, the umpire says let this one pass. I'm looking for fun and joy this season. Thanks for checking.

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 08:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZxI6aPQASk

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Sorry to rush another one in here but we're off to the Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway Friday so I must make the most of my limited time this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cusnOjM4KY

we tigers
10-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Just heard that Lou Reed died today. One of my musical heroes. Somebody please do Pale Blue Eyes this week.

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 09:25 AM
I was working on it this morning, thinking about him. Had checked the news since he'd just had a liver transplant and was back in the hospital in the last 48 hours.
An hour later I read this sad news.

Pale Blue Eyes just isn't a song for me to sing. Might put another one on misfits though.

Peace to Lou and Laurie.

Just heard that Lou Reed died today. One of my musical heroes. Somebody please do Pale Blue Eyes this week.

10-27-2013, 09:36 AM
So... in the UK is a polymath a polymaths?
if it's many skills and much knowledge in many subjects, that's a whole bunch of plurals so i'm guessing polymaths ;)

That was great! That C-Am (or was that an A?) back and forth... those two chords are the bread and butter, the coffee and cigarettes, the meat and potatoes, the gin and tonic, the Sigfried and Roy, the Jordan and Pippen, the Abbot and Costello, the momma and apple pie of the ukulele.
on my baritone it was actually E and G alternating, with the very occasional A to mix it up here and there. so i think maybe it was laurel and hardy! :D

If I do ever end up covering a Nickelback song here for the Seasons, someone please get my account cancelled.

For this week, I cover a Creed tune, which isn't as bad as Nickelback, but it is still Xtian rock. I can't help myself. I liked this tune, and when I saw it on the page chock full of songs with body parts in it, I had to do it. With Arms Wide Open...

great vid

but

i kinda like nickelback :uhoh:

ukuLily Mars
10-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Years ago I was on a writer's trip to Scotland and our little group attended the Highland Games at Nairn, which was also attended by the very young Princess Diana. I loved it—it was exciting to see burly men toss the caber and heave the sheaf.

Since I chat people up to get anecdotes to write about, I started talking to a kilted athlete on the sidelines. I said I understood that nothing was worn beneath the kilt [old joke]. He replied, "They made us wear underwear today so the prinCESS wouldn't see any rude bits."
Be careful with this sort of talk around bird'seye (code name: "Lynda"). Those royals can be sensitive. Although I have a feeling I can guess her opinion on underwear with kilts.

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Actually, I have it on good authority that her Ladyship is rather a stick in the mud when it comes to such things so mum's the word, eh? wink, wink.
(You heard about the row over her rather shocking side decolletage at ascot, I suppose?)

Be careful with this sort of talk around bird'seye (code name: "Lynda"). Those royals can be sensitive. Although I have a feeling I can guess her opinion on underwear with kilts.

uke4ia
10-27-2013, 12:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkMG-edn5c

The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band had a song called "Noises for the Leg" which involved a leg-shaped theremin.

By the way, I would love to see Bonesigh play They Might Be Giants' "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head". :D

GinnyT11
10-27-2013, 12:57 PM
The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band had a song called "Noises for the Leg" which involved a leg-shaped theremin.

That is extremely weird, Jim. (Was that odd intro guy the recently dead child molester?)

Not long ago we watched this documentary about the man who invented the theremin, and the woman who was its most skilled interpreter of it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108323/

Now PLEASE don't waste your time on this, but here's a cat playing a theremin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXn4_JkVFVo

xommen
10-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Here you go we tigers: Lou Reed - Pale Blue Eyes (not sure if I did it justice though ;)).
Ginny can this be my entry please, the other one can go to the bonus list.

http://youtu.be/4JKP12_fqM8

decaturcomp
10-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Nice Job Wim! Ye done us proud.

Here you go we tigers: Lou Reed - Pale Blue Eyes (not sure if I did it justice though ;)).
Ginny can this be my entry please, the other one can go to the bonus list.

ksiegel
10-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Looking forward to your many songs, Dave.

It has always been my understanding that nothing is worn beneath the kilt. It must all be in perfect working order.

-Kurt
("I don't wear kilts; they don't make them long enough." I wish I could remember who said that, but it wasn't me... Well, not the first time.)

uke4ia
10-27-2013, 01:44 PM
That is extremely weird, Jim. (Was that odd intro guy the recently dead child molester?)

Not long ago we watched this documentary about the man who invented the theremin, and the woman who was its most skilled interpreter of it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108323/

I don't know who the guy is who talks about "gimmicks of '60s music". The guy who talks about trousers with a touch of haddock behind the ears is Bonzo member Viv Stanshall, who died in 1995.

I've seen the Theremin documentary. It's good stuff. I also recommend this video of people who converted a taxidermy badger into a theremin.
The Badgermin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNEMzH7pOZ8)

Jazzbanjorex
10-27-2013, 02:35 PM
I picked feet as my body part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6SxgqBrv5g&feature=youtu.be

Dougf
10-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Seems the heart is considered a body part, so I thought I'd dust off one of my originals. Thanks, Ginny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTf-6_JPWHM

lakesideglenn
10-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Seems the heart is considered a body part, so I thought I'd dust off one of my originals. Thanks, Ginny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTf-6_JPWHM
Outstanding Doug! Smooth playing and great lyrics and singing...home run!

GinnyT11
10-27-2013, 03:36 PM
decaturcomp - Two Hands - Wow, what a GREAT gospel song! I was clapping and dancing. Youtube was hanging up on me a little, and I listened to this three times, which was no chore at all. I loved the energy, the picking, and the high lonesome country sound.

decaturcomp - In Your Eyes - Alan, how do you keep doing these songs that are better than the previous ones? I liked this a lot. I especially liked how the song gained urgency as the tempo picked up. I read the lyrics of all these songs as I go along, and this one seems to be about the eternal craving for emotional intimacy. I see you...do you see me?

xommen - Pale Blue Eyes - Excellent, Wim! You are a very good interpreter of this song...perhaps Velvet Underground will be the next musical songbook you take on. I especially liked your vocals in this. The meaning is similar to the one above this that Alan did: what is in your eyes is the only truth for me. Fine work.
(I've made this your entry and bonus-ized your first song.)

GaryC1968
10-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Here is my entry. It's been a while since I've participated in the Seasons. Thanks for the reminder, Ginny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2132BBxMfcc

GinnyT11
10-27-2013, 03:55 PM
jazzbanjorex - When I'm Back on My Feet Again - Yes, it IS about feet, Banjorex Bolton! You captured that era's style of pop singing extremely well. I liked the little bit of reverb you had—it was just enough to evoke, but not provoke (ha). I liked the ending fade; If you had long curly hair, I'm sure you'd have young women sighing after you.

Dougf - I Need a Map to Your Heart - Did you write that today, for this theme, or have you had that in your songs trunk? It's charming, and so much in the style of your favorite '30s songwriters. You can't get that kind of imagery if you're using a GPS. I love the sliding chords.

GaryC1968 - Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet - Ha ha ha! Great one, Gary! I suspect it's one of your originals. I'm glad you brought this to our attention, as few of us understand the emotional turmoil of the undead.
Glad to see you here among us again.

ukuLily Mars
10-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Now PLEASE don't waste your time on this, but here's a cat playing a theremin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXn4_JkVFVo
Of course you know I went directly to this. (That cat is very talented.)

GinnyT11
10-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Of course you know I went directly to this. (That cat is very talented.)

Since you finished your book, your mind has turned to mush, Lily. Play us a little tune now.

ukuLily Mars
10-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Since you finished your book, your mind has turned to mush, Lily. Play us a little tune now.
You have no idea. :eek: I will work on a tune! I'm not eager to step in front of a camera just now. But I actually got to play a little today so we'll see if I can get my act together.

~dave~~wave~
10-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Roky Erickson and the Aliens ~ Creature With The Atom Brain

http://youtu.be/iotXJNtG-G4

GinnyT11
10-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Roky Erickson and the Aliens ~ Creature With The Atom Brain

http://youtu.be/iotXJNtG-G4

This is super, super, super, super, super! THANK YOU, Dave, for making this hilarious video!

Ladies and gentlemen, the bar for winning has now been raised to a lofty height. Press on with courage and persistence if you want to take this Season.

uke4ia
10-27-2013, 06:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3n0kmJHW6c

I've probably got at least four songs in me this week. This is "Fall at Your Feet" by Crowded House.

uke4ia
10-27-2013, 07:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmLGbCJ5fco

Bonus #1: By request, the armadillolele. This is a New Pornographers song, "The Bones of an Idol".

10-27-2013, 07:50 PM
i am rather a traditionalist on this. i think if you have enough loose change in your sporran for any pay and display car parks you may have to stop in on your way to launch ships and wotnot, plus plenty of sugar cubes in case you get the chance to feed a horse, then the weight of said sporran should be enough to hold the kilt firmly in place whatever the weather or sport. maybe

Now PLEASE don't waste your time on this, but here's a cat playing a theremin
oh my days. did you see the other cat's little face at the end of this vid? AW++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++ ad infinitem

peewee
10-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Here's another Zombie Body Parts song for Lou Reed. He was the patron saint of the NYC art scene, and he invented so much of what is thought of as "cool". Truly sad to see him go. To quote someone on FB: "Now I know how you guys felt when Jerry Garcia died"...sorry to bring down the mood ,but hey... it's the season for macabre, right?

"Andy's Chest" is a song about Valerie Solanas' shooting of Andy Warhol in 1968.
I flubbed the crux of the song, the "swoop, swoop...rock, rock" at the end, but you should have heard the other take..
http://youtu.be/sgpDogjWNaI

http://youtu.be/sgpDogjWNaI

The Ukelites
10-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Hi Ginny, what a cool theme for Halloween! I guess "All Of Me" counts, there are lips and arms mentioned! I hope we have the time to record another one this week with costumes or/and Monster Mash. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbTa7Kyw-S0

pabrizzer
10-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Rough one take go at Throw Your Arms Around Me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MW_kSdcgfU

UkeyDave
10-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Looking and feeling a bit rough round the edges today but would sooner eat my own arm than miss a season. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBnoJsgABTk

UkeyDave
10-27-2013, 11:29 PM

The news of the death of Lou Reed was very sad for me. I feel like a little bit of my youth died with the loss of Lou Reed. He was one of my heroes and I saw him live in 1973 and it was memorable. RIP Lou Reed.
I'd love to do this song. I'll see if I can get it good enough to submit though first.

pabrizzer
10-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Looking and feeling a bit rough round the edges today but would sooner eat my own arm than miss a season. ;-)

Great minds Dave. Was planning on doing this tomorrow with Charlie -if she comes over we'll still give it a went.
Hope your cold doesn't hang around. I've been battling some sort of lurgie pretty unsuccessfully too.

UkeyDave
10-28-2013, 03:48 AM

Ooops forgot to mention Ginny. Can this one be a bonus. Ta.

UkeyDave
10-28-2013, 03:49 AM
Great minds Dave. Was planning on doing this tomorrow with Charlie -if she comes over we'll still give it a went.
Hope your cold doesn't hang around. I've been battling some sort of lurgie pretty unsuccessfully too.
Look forward to seeing it. I was going to do the dance to go with it for a laugh but really couldn't be bothered so just did a quick take instead.

GinnyT11
10-28-2013, 03:59 AM
uke4ia - Fall at Your Feet - Love the fangs you put on Eisley! I think I've mentioned before that I like your ballad-y songs. You're a rocker in your heart, but you have a balladeer's tender feelings. You bring a lot to the vocal in this, and the slow fade is very effective.

uke4ia - The Bones of an Idol - Thanks for bringing out the armadillolele. It helps make the abstruse lyrics even more mysterious. I confess I did not understand what this song is about. I had to go to Lyrics Meaning, and even there, the few commenters were suggesting it had to do with religion and/or inspiration. What say you?

peewee - Andy's Chest - Thanks, peewee, for the homage to Lou Reed. Songwriters can just go anywhere their thoughts take them. Maybe because my mid-rock crisis led me away from certain artists, I didn't know this song and I checked out Lyrics Meaning. One commenter said: "this is one of my favorite VU songs. it'd cheer me up if I got shot."

GinnyT11
10-28-2013, 04:36 AM
The Ukelites - All of Me - Oh my dears, even when you seem to do a pick-up tune on a weekend afternoon, you send out great musical vibes. But of course it wasn't haphazard: the lighting was just so, and Steffen played a smooth, stylish instrumental interlude, and Miriam brought it all home in the final verse like the cabaret star she is. Bravo and danke!

pabrizzer - Throw Your Arms Around Me - This is smooth and beautiful, Brian. I like it better as a solo song on a baritone uke; it makes the lyrics very poignant. The hat is a plus, too.

UkeyDave - Head and Shoulders bonus - Thanks for making a superhuman effort to sing for us this week, Dave! Wait, super human...does that make you NON human? Are you one we should fear?
And if you'd cut off your arm and eat it rather than miss a week, how would you prepare it for eating?

GaryC1968
10-28-2013, 04:53 AM
GaryC1968 - Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet - Ha ha ha! Great one, Gary! I suspect it's one of your originals. I'm glad you brought this to our attention, as few of us understand the emotional turmoil of the undead.
Glad to see you here among us again.

Thanks Ginny! It's good to be back!

bonesigh
10-28-2013, 06:24 AM
This is one of those parodies that I wish I had written (: It's by George Wilson Younce (February 22, 1930 – April 11, 2005) was an American bass singer, known for performing with Southern gospel quartets, especially The Cathedrals. Sorry the audio's not better. I just can't seem to sync my videos properly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EdXHLjO_4Q
We got married last Friday
My girl was right there beside me
Our friends had all gone
We were alone
Side by side

We got ready for bed then
I nearly dropped over dead when
Her teeth and her hair
She placed on a chair
Side by side

One glass eye so tiny
One hearing aid so small
Then she took one leg off
And placed it on the chair by the wall

I stood there broken hearted
Most of my girl had departed
I slept on the chair
There was more of her there
Side by side (:

lelouden
10-28-2013, 06:35 AM

I was wondering if anyone would do this one. Ha, I should have known you and pa would give it a go:) Sorry to hear you've both got something getting you down. Hope you both feel better soon!

ukuLily Mars
10-28-2013, 07:33 AM
[B]UkeyDave - Head and Shoulders - Thanks for making a superhuman effort to sing for us this week, Dave! Wait, super human...does that make you NON human? Are you one we should fear?
And if you'd cut off your arm and eat it rather than miss a week, how would you prepare it for eating?
(I put it on the Bonus list.)
1. UkeyDave is human but we should fear him anyway. Just in case.
2. Marinate it, obviously.

uke4ia
10-28-2013, 08:02 AM
uke4ia - The Bones of an Idol - Thanks for bringing out the armadillolele. It helps make the abstruse lyrics even more mysterious. I confess I did not understand what this song is about. I had to go to Lyrics Meaning, and even there, the few commenters were suggesting it had to do with religion and/or inspiration. What say you?

Just about all of the New Pornographers' lyrics are like this. I rarely ever have any specific idea what a song of theirs is about. But my formative years were spent listening to bands like Yes, and I never knew what they were singing about, either. And later bands like R.E.M. and the Cocteau Twins, where you couldn't even make out enough of the lyrics to be puzzled by them.

frisbee fred
10-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Great season Ginny. Many super vids already. Here I am channeling my inner Hank.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh5oYSxLwZQ&feature=youtu.be

GinnyT11
10-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Just about all of the New Pornographers' lyrics are like this. I rarely ever have any specific idea what a song of theirs is about. But my formative years were spent listening to bands like Yes, and I never knew what they were singing about, either. And later bands like R.E.M. and the Cocteau Twins, where you couldn't even make out enough of the lyrics to be puzzled by them.

As a writer with a poor musical ear, I'm quite interested in a song's lyrics. Do you know this Archive of Misheard Lyrics? It's based on Jimi Hendrix' supposed "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy." http://www.kissthisguy.com/

decaturcomp
10-28-2013, 08:40 AM
I think of these, perhaps charitably as William Carlos Williams songwriters:
The Red Wheelbarrowso much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.

There are many explanations for this little poem but I'm not certain it isn't an emporer's new clothes type of analysis that scholars have applied. My personal take is. Nice image, pretty words, probably took more thought than it appears to have.

Regardless...words are fun and sometimes sound good with a certain melody and sometimes sentences go on and on and on and on. BUT songs are like complex combinations of sounds and sense that may or may not contain MUCH sense in order to sound purdy.

GinnyT11
10-28-2013, 09:04 AM
bonesigh - Side by Side parody - Very inventive, Janet, both in the pasticherie and in the presentation. I like how the puppet's eyes move. And you do the correct mouth movements for it, such that he opens his mouth for the word, which you have to teach your hand to do.

FrisbeeFred - Your Cheatin' Heart - I love this song! Do you think this song will make his sweetheart stop takin' her love to town? She don't care that's he's walking the floor. I like your near-yodels in this; that's where the pain really is.
[A question: Are you really into Frisbees? When Walter Morrison died in 2010, a comic commented that "the inventor of the Frisbee is now stuck up on the roof."]

Who will do The Telltale Heart? I'm sure uke4ia knows such a song.

GinnyT11
10-28-2013, 09:12 AM
In fact, let's think up some good body-parts songs for the 21st century...

Viscera, My Viscera

I've Overplucked My Eyebrows

Lungs, Don't Fail Me Now

Where Have All My Toenails Gone?

These Eyes Can't Read the Paper

Will You Still Love Me With a Nose Job?

uke4ia
10-28-2013, 09:15 AM
I think of these, perhaps charitably as William Carlos Williams songwriters:
The Red Wheelbarrowso much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.

There are many explanations for this little poem but I'm not certain it isn't an emporer's new clothes type of analysis that scholars have applied. My personal take is. Nice image, pretty words, probably took more thought than it appears to have.

Regardless...words are fun and sometimes sound good with a certain melody and sometimes sentences go on and on and on and on. BUT songs are like complex combinations of sounds and sense that may or may not contain MUCH sense in order to sound purdy.

I always like to imagine the rest of the band's reaction when Jon Anderson would bring a new set of Yes lyrics to a rehearsal. "It means just what it says, Rick. 'As we cross from side to side we hear the total mass retain.' WHATTTT? C'mon guys, what's so funny? Stop laughing!"

uke4ia
10-28-2013, 09:17 AM
In fact, let's think up some good body-parts songs for the 21st century...

One I don't think I'll get to this week is French Frith Kaiser Thompson's "March of the Cosmetic Surgeons":
March of the Cosmetic Surgeons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYzk67fYFX4)

elmann
10-28-2013, 11:26 AM
uke4ia> Fall at our feet
uke4ia> The Bones of an Idol

Wonderfull renditions. Has a lot of Cat Stevens in his best days.

elmann
10-28-2013, 11:40 AM
...I slept on the chair...There was more of her there...Side by side (:
What a developement. What a hilarious doozie. ROTFLMAO. A must to adapt in my own language.

frisbee fred
10-28-2013, 11:45 AM
FrisbeeFred - Your Cheatin' Heart[/B] - I love this song! Do you think this song will make his sweetheart stop takin' her love to town? She don't care that's he's walking the floor. I like your near-yodels in this; that's where the pain really is.
[A question: Are you really into Frisbees? When Walter Morrison died in 2010, a comic commented that "the inventor of the Frisbee is now stuck up on the roof."]
I competed on a national level in my youth in ultimate frisbee and several other tournament events. Now I'm just sitting on a street corner with a bottle of Thunderbird in my paper bag, strumming my uke, and yearning for the good old days........

Barbablanca
10-28-2013, 01:26 PM
I'll be recording something later in the week! (New song especially for this Season!)

Meanwhile, can I draw your attentions to this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?88492-I-m-entering-a-non-UU-competition) on which I ask for UU Help as part of a Competiton that I am entering for Christmas Songs. It's one of those I wrote last year for Eugene!

Please help by following my instructions on the opening post.

Thanks in advance, fellow Seasonistas!

Berni (Barbablanca)

Barbablanca
10-28-2013, 01:40 PM
As a writer with a poor musical ear, I'm quite interested in a song's lyrics. Do you know this Archive of Misheard Lyrics? It's based on Jimi Hendrix' supposed "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy." http://www.kissthisguy.com/

There is a word for a misheard lyric - it is called a Mondagreen. This is from a line in the the song The Earl of Murray, apparently recorded by a few people as:

"They have killed the Earl of Murray and Lady Mondagreen"

The actual lyric is:

"They have killed the Earl of Murray and laid him on the green"

Incidentally, I reckon Hendrix was deliberately being vague in Purple Haze on that particular line. As Van Morrison was on "Into The Mystic" with his line:

"We were born before the wind - also younger than the sun" / or / "We were borne before the wind, all so younger than the son".

pabrizzer
10-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Bonus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7WKAcbpkzs

ukuleledaddy
10-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Starting out with a bonus if that's ok with you Ginny. Here's a quickie for ya.
The Misfits.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWdHFNk4hFg

Cornfield
10-28-2013, 02:13 PM
http://youtu.be/zwJ4AR7iEpg

I'm getting ready for my vacation trip and wasn't planning on doing a video this week but the subject manner prompted me to look up a song that I would like to learn better.
This was writtem by Dave Carter. I can't say enough about his songs.

UncleMoon
10-28-2013, 02:33 PM
There is a word for a misheard lyric - it is called a Mondagreen. This is from a line in the the song The Earl of Murray, apparently recorded by a few people as:

"They have killed the Earl of Murray and Lady Mondagreen"

The actual lyric is:

"They have killed the Earl of Murray and laid him on the green"

Incidentally, I reckon Hendrix was deliberately being vague in Purple Haze on that particular line. As Van Morrison was on "Into The Mystic" with his line:

"We were born before the wind - also younger than the sun" / or / "We were borne before the wind, all so younger than the son".

What a great idea for a season!

TCK
10-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Starting things out with a bonus...and a nod to Ukuleledaddy and the folks on the Island.
Little love song by the Misfits.
Just trading songs around the camp fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E46vzu21Kq8&feature=youtu.be

ukuleledaddy
10-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Starting things out with a bonus...and an nod to Ukuleledaddy and the folks on the season.
Little love song by the Misfits.
Just trading songs around the camp fire.

Cheers Dave. What a nice, little Monday night party we've got going on.

decaturcomp
10-28-2013, 04:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI8jraknDbw

Lungs is a Townes Van Zandt song

Ginny, here are the lyrics (PRETTY close to what I sang in places) so you won't have to hunt around for them, also, BOTH chords for you playalongers:

Em
Wont you lend your lungs to me
D Em
Mine are collapsing
Em
Plant my feet and bitterly
D Em
Breathe up the time that's passing
D Em (D)
Breath I'll give and breath I'll take
D Em
And pray the day's not poison
Em D Em
Stand among the ones that live
Em D Em
In lonely indecision

Fingers walk the darkness down
Mind is on the midnight
Gather up the gold you've found
You fool it's only moonlight
And if you try to take it home
Your hands'll turn to butter
Better leave this dream alone
Try to find another

Salvation sat and crossed herself
And called the devil partner
Wisdom burned upon a shelf
Who'll kill the raging cancer?
Seal the river at its mouth
Take the water prisoner
Fill the sky with screams and cries
Bathe in fiery answer

Jesus was an only son
Love his only concept
Strangers cry in foreign tongues
And dirty up the doorstep
And I for one and you for two
Ain't got the time for outside
Just keep your injured looks to you
We'll tell the world we tried

TCK
10-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Productive tonight...an entry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmeIXAwKHHs&feature=youtu.be
With bonus of added dog whining at dinner time

GinnyT11
10-28-2013, 05:00 PM
pabrizzer - Sore Feet Blues bonus- Easy-going, sittin'-down blues. Totally understand the feeling. Nicely done.
(I've always liked the expression "my dogs are barking" to describe sore feet.)

ukuleledaddy - Braineaters bonus - I'm glad you were able to grab a minute and do this. But I'd believe you are a braineater more if you were in a danker, creepier-looking room.
Did you click on the youtube option to stabilize the video? I think that makes the room move around a bit.

TCK - I Want Your Skull bonus - So you're looking for a hard-headed woman? That was dang weird, Cloverdale. No way around it.

TCK
10-28-2013, 05:06 PM
[B]TCK - I Want Your Skull bonus - So you're looking for a hard-headed woman? That was dang weird, Cloverdale. No way around it.
Don't listen to much punk rock do ya?
These are the beaut's that first recorded it.
Don't call themselves Misfits for nothin'

GinnyT11
10-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Don't listen to much punk rock do ya?
These are the beaut's that first recorded it.
Don't call themselves Misfits for nothin'

My dear sir, I was barely a hippie even when the Age of Aquarius was raging.

TCK
10-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Hahaha- I kind of knew that ;)

GinnyT11
10-28-2013, 05:28 PM
John Sargent - The Gentle Arms of Eden - Metaphorical arms! We need those too. This is a lovely song, and I'm glad you took the time from your busy week to bring it to us. I like your combo of fedora and tie-dye shirt, which actually looks like earth from space.

decaturcomp - Lungs bonus - A fine performance. I admire your ability to jump and twirl and fill the little spots between verses. I liked the unexpected unaccompanied verse too. Impressive how you just keep going when you substitute a word in the lyrics.

TCK - Red Right Ankle - That were a right fine tune, TCK. Lovely melody and seems like mostly a love song. Nicely played, and it's also nice that it took you back to your first recording. I feel like I was sitting right nearby listening.

myrnaukelele
10-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Well, I'm looking around for songs for this week and found these gems. Anyone up for singing "If My Nose Was Full of Nickels, I'd Blow it All on You"? Or how about "Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth, I'm Kissin' You Goodbye"? Here's a Johnny Cash song i've never heard before - "I've Been Flushed From the Bathroom of Your Heart". Or how about "She Got The Ring and I Got The Finger"? Then there's "My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, And I Don't Love You" and "Please Bypass My Heart". And I swear this is a real song- "Billy Broke My Heart at Walgreens (and I cried all the way to Sears)".
:D

10-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Lady Mondagreen... laid him on the green
lol ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

myrnaukelele
10-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Sorry but I've gotta share a few more of these awful country music song titles...
"You're The Hangnail In My Life, And I Can't Bite You Off"
"Velcro Arms, Teflon Heart "
"She Made Toothpicks Out Of The Timber Of My Heart"
"If You Want to Keep the Beer Real Cold, Put it Next to My Ex-Wife's Heart"
"I'd Rather Pass a Kidney Stone than Another Night With You"
"Did I Shave my Legs for This?"
OK, OK there's lots more but enough of this. "Don't Roll Those Bloodshot Eyes at Me" :rolleyes:

29moons
10-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks to Ginny and Peewee for this weeks inspiration. My humble dedication to Lou Reed, one of my all-time favorites and a heavy influence. The Godfather of punk.

http://youtu.be/gLjfKHZR_-M

Rustyy
10-28-2013, 09:29 PM
My entry for this week. A John Prine song which has most of the body parts covered, Please Don't Bury Me

oops wrong video

will load tomorrow

UkeyDave
10-29-2013, 01:43 AM
When Lou Reed died on Sunday I had no idea that I would feel such profound sadness. It almost seems like a whole chunk of my youth died with him.
It was my idol David Bowie who first brought Lou Reed to my attention and in 1973 I saw Bowie live during his famous Ziggy Stardust tour in my home town in the June followed by Lou Reed a few months later at the same venue. This was in the days before big stadium gigs in the UK. Those incredible two concerts shaped my musical tastes and influences forever and the music of those two artists gave me some wonderful memories of my adolescence.
When Wetigers suggested Pale Blue Eyes I knew I had to do it. I realise it has already been done but I have been practicing it since then because I wanted to do the song justice and also as far as I’m concerned it could be done a hundred times each time by different seasonistas and it still wouldn’t be enough for me. I’ve always been of the opinion that its good to post repeated songs and it always gives us an individual take on interpretations and that after all is what art is all about.
This was quite a difficult song to do because of this stinking cold I’m currently carrying. I’m not sure if it shows through on the recording or not (I hope not).
I’ve used photos from my vinyl LP collection as a backdrop shot. I stupidly sold all of my record collection a few years ago for a pittance but still treasure a few Reed and Bowie albums which I couldn’t let go. I’m glad I didn’t.
Anyway, enough of my waffle and sentimentality - here is my entry AND tribute to the genius himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q19_reCTE2o

GinnyT11
10-29-2013, 04:12 AM
There is a word for a misheard lyric - it is called a Mondagreen. This is from a line in the the song The Earl of Murray, apparently recorded by a few people as: "They have killed the Earl of Murray and Lady Mondagreen"

The actual lyric is: "They have killed the Earl of Murray and laid him on the green"

This is quite funny, Berni. "Lady Mondagreen" must have been his invisible girlfriend.

GinnyT11
10-29-2013, 04:15 AM
Thanks to Ginny and Peewee for this weeks inspiration. My humble dedication to Lou Reed, one of my all-time favorites and a heavy influence. The Godfather of punk.

John, it's great to have you back in the Seasons!

This story song, while beautifully played, does not have body parts as the primary point of the lyrics, but I have added it to the playlist because we're happy to have you back.

There is an impromptu Lou Reed homage, with conversation and many videos of his songs unrelated to this Season, over in the Misfits Island, and this video would be a stand-out there.

decaturcomp
10-29-2013, 04:33 AM
These are great Myrna!
Reminds me of the takeoff on songs like this "You broke my heart so I busted your Jaw" by the seasonally named, Spooky Tooth.

Sorry but I've gotta share a few more of these awful country music song titles...
OK, OK there's lots more but enough of this. "Don't Roll Those Bloodshot Eyes at Me" :rolleyes:

GinnyT11
10-29-2013, 04:40 AM
Ukeydave - Pale Blue Eyes - Your feelings for Reed and this song are evident in your very tender singing, Dave. The visuals and spoken tracks you added make it a beautiful tribute version. I was mesmerized by your splendid effort, sir. Thank you. Be sure to also post it over on Misfits Island among the other Lou Reed videos.

I'm making this your entry, unless you tell me different.

GinnyT11
10-29-2013, 04:44 AM

Pretty funny, Myrna! Why don't you do a mash-up of your favorites?

GinnyT11
10-29-2013, 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by GinnyT11:

TCK: Hahaha- I kind of knew that :)

I had the long hair, the bell bottoms, the buffalo-hide sandals, the flaky dance moves, the no-bra, the original tie-dyed shirts (in the dorm sink)...but I remained a Wholesome Hippie.

ukuLily Mars
10-29-2013, 05:56 AM
lol ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Oh, come on. We all know you're related to Lady Mondagreen. We just don't know which one you are. YET.

I had the long hair, the bell bottoms, the buffalo-hide sandals, the flaky dance moves, the no-bra, the original tie-dyed shirts (in the dorm sink)...but I remained a Wholesome Hippie.

I suddenly have this urge to knit you a poncho. Adorable!

Cornfield
10-29-2013, 05:57 AM
http://youtu.be/mrB6bR-f7XU

I'm waiting for the limo. Can't take the National with me so I wanted to play it one more time. mA quick bonus video for body parts week.

UkeyDave
10-29-2013, 06:09 AM
http://youtu.be/mrB6bR-f7XU

I'm waiting for the limo. Can't take the National with me so I wanted to play it one more time. mA quick bonus video for body parts week.

Hahahaha I love this song John. I wish I'd have thought of playing that one. Great choice and I just love the lyrics. Bon Voyage.

Cornfield
10-29-2013, 06:22 AM
Hahahaha I love this song John. I wish I'd have thought of playing that one. Great choice and I just love the lyrics. Bon Voyage.

My next bonus choice is "Dem Bones". I'll leave that to you sir.

ksiegel
10-29-2013, 06:26 AM
Another One Take Wonder!

-Kurt

http://youtu.be/WWdZmExoKoM

cua94
10-29-2013, 06:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnH4G9xdp0k&feature=youtu.be

Here is my entry. I could use a bit more work but won't have and more time this week. Please forgive beginners :-).

CUA94

redpaul1
10-29-2013, 06:59 AM
Gnädigen Damen und Herren! Ich gebe Ihnen...

http://youtu.be/SC5735UoX10

GinnyT11
10-29-2013, 07:05 AM
John Sargent - Do Your Ears Hang Low? - Wow, this takes me back to summer camp days. Just right, John!

cua94 - Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head - Bravo, Liz! Again, bravo! Playing with friends is a great way to progress in uke playing, and you're among friends in the Seasons. Don't be shy about posting again. Your strumming is solid and you did some nice phrasing.
We're glad to have you here!

redpaul1 - Komm gib mir deine Hand - What a gas! I love it! You have transported me to a seedy club in Hamburg to hear some new group with an insect name. Yes, I will have another beer. Thanks much, Paul.

cua94
10-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Fantastic!

decaturcomp
10-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Oh, wow.
If someone was going to publish a hipppiechick calendar, you'd be right up there for Ms. December!

Barbablanca
10-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Last year Alan Thornton (Decaturcomp) and I wrote a song for Halloween called "Werewolf Blues". This year we've collaborated again on a new song for Halloween... and this Season! "My Girlfriend is a Zombie".

http://youtu.be/DyxOSW7QE84

As usual the lyrics are on the YouTube page - click on "Show More" in the description section.

I made the "Deadman" mask in 1979 for a show I was in with Welfare State International (Britain's answer to Bread & Puppet Theatre) and post-credits you can hear a snippet of the main song from that show. Every time I put that mask on (Carnival, Correfoc, etc) that Mask just has to sing this! ;)

The Deadman's hat by Pabrizzer :)

mythinformed
10-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Last year Alan Thornton (Decaturcomp) and I wrote a song for Halloween called "Werewolf Blues". This year we've collaborated again on a new song for Halloween... and this Season! "My Girlfriend is a Zombie".

http://youtu.be/DyxOSW7QE84

As usual the lyrics are on the YouTube page - click on "Show More" in the description section.

I made the "Deadman" mask in 1979 for a show I was in with Welfare State International (Britain's answer to Bread & Puppet Theatre) and post-credits you can hear a snippet of the main song from that show. Every time I put that mask on (Carnival, Correfoc, etc) that Mask just has to sing this! ;)

The Deadman's hat by Pabrizzer :)
Am I alone in seeing an uncanny resemblance to Homer Simpson ?? Lol

The Ukelites
10-29-2013, 11:34 AM

Sweet pictures! Thanks for sharing!:D

uke4ia
10-29-2013, 11:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9RcikKPzHY

Bonus #2: YouTube has had a video "processing" since last night, but this one loaded okay. This is "Eyes of a Child" by the Moody Blues.

uke4ia
10-29-2013, 12:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF6YD9yUMvw

Bonus #3: On the third try, YouTube processed this. :p This is "Arms of Love", by Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians.

ukuleledaddy
10-29-2013, 01:36 PM
This is "Eyes of a Child" by the Moody Blues.

The Moody Blues + Vampire Bunny = Awesome

GinnyT11
10-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Here's an attentive baby who becomes deeply emotional as she listens to her mother sing.
Do you think your playing would be better or worse if you had this kind of audience?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIsCs9_-LP8

GinnyT11
10-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Hey, you lurkers! I see you out there, looking in at our party. Come on in and join the fun.

Post a song...you'll discover there is NO DOWN SIDE, just amazing feelings of satisfaction and camaraderie.

Tootler
10-29-2013, 01:56 PM
For some reason I didn't have much inspiration even though there are loads of suitable songs so I decided to have a crack at writing one.

Here is the result FWIW. Sort of styled on 50s RnR. Not to be taken too seriously.

http://youtu.be/sZOcg4B95Eg

Lyrics

[G] I just met you last night but already you showed me your hand
I [C7] just met you last night but [G] already you showed me your hand
[D7] Let me tell you baby I [C7] ain't goin' to that [G] land

You put your foot in it, when showed me where you want to be
You put your foot in it when you showed me where you want to be
But I ain't goin', baby 'cos I don't trust what I see.

Instrumental

You put your lips on mine and you gave me such a kiss
You put your lips on mine and you gave me such a kiss
Let me tell you baby I never thought I'd feel like this

Instrumental

You got bedroom eyes but I don't wanna go that way
You got bedroom eyes but I don't wanna go that way
I better get back to my wife before you make me stay.

Instrumental

Oh Yeah!?

lelouden
10-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Ok Ginny, I'll stop lurking and jump in now :) Happy to present to you " Put Your Head On My Shoulder." Special thanks to Wally who we only let out of the closet around this time of year. Every time I walk around the corner having forgotten he's out, my heart skips a beat. So I thought I would sing this song to him to let him know just how I feel about him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Bj-62RSMg

southside mike
10-29-2013, 01:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn-bStYv2Uo
Here's mine. Steve Earle from the Copperhead Road album I think. Mid 80's and early 30's and what seemed like an endless abundance of time.

greyghost
10-29-2013, 03:00 PM
OK, my son has joined me again in doing damage to some old-school female-fronted New Wave. Here's our take on Blondie's Heart of Glass (my son seeking to capture Debbie Harry's icy demeanor, while I'm just...me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjV3e1n0yj4

GinnyT11
10-29-2013, 03:04 PM
ksiegel - Heart of My Heart - Ooooh, a 1953 harmonizer! I fear that doo-wop groups don't hang out on stoops anymore—the activity is too benign for today's world. Yes, it would definitely bring a tear to the eye of someone who felt that harmony. Pretty darn not bad, Kurt, for a one-taker.

Barbablanca - My Girlfriend is a Zombie bonus - Fantastic Halloween song, Berni! It's so fitting that you're playing blues on a Jack Daniel's uke. That makes total sense. I shall take seriously the advice to protect my brain in order to have my wits about when when dating a zombie.

uke4ia - Eyes of a Child bonus - You're Moody uke4ia, I think. This captured the feeling of the MBlues, especially on the slow, picked outro, where your uke's tone was particularly nice. Seems you were doing a lot of upstroking, which I haven't seen you do too much.

uke4ia - Into the Arms of Love bonus - Oh, I did enjoy this, Jim. The song is lovely, and you let your tender balladeer loose. Fine picking sequences on a long journey up the neck.

Tootler - You Showed Me Your Hand - Geoff, I like it when you rock like this. The Cavern doesn't need a full band—you've got what it takes to get dancers on the floor. I think you do well when you're standing to sing. I also admire your dee-luxe kazoo holder! Great song for the Season.

lelouden - Put Your Head on My Shoulder - Well, old Wally must dream all year of your singing and snuggling at Halloween. A very sweet tune played with skill and sung with thoughtful phrasing. Thanks, Linda—it's SO GOOD that you have become a Seasons regular!

southside mike - The Devil's Right Hand - Wow, Mike, that is fine, fine, fine playing. I can't get enough of those sliding chords. Your voice is just right for Steve Earle, and your command of the instrumental part and the flourishes is enviable. I believe I'll have to watch this some more.

Jazzbanjorex
10-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Randy Travis, Diggin' Up Bones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUOZkmlA-lc&feature=youtu.be

decaturcomp
10-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Hey, you lurkers! I see you out there, looking in at our party. Come on in and join the fun.

Post a song...you'll discover there is NO DOWN SIDE, just amazing feelings of satisfaction and camaraderie.

Well said, Ginny.
C'mon y'all!

Jazzbanjorex
10-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Mind, brains, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijjfqOUz1-U

Raygf
10-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Here's my entry.

Can't Get It Out of My Head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhhaUnuPlQU

Jazzbanjorex
10-29-2013, 04:52 PM
"The whole world turns Blue"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sDwFGhAocM

TCK
10-29-2013, 05:51 PM
I love these...so great.

I was...I suppose, the complete opposite. I am now working toward wholesome.
60400 It is not going well.

Rustyy
10-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Yesterdays effort turned into a bit of a disaster. I loaded a file, then after Birdseyeviews comment on youtube, realised I had loaded the wrong file. So I loaded another, only to then realise that it also was incorrect. The conclusion was that I'd blown the best one away. So this morning I did it again.
Here it is, John Prine's "Please don't bury me", which as I said, mentions most of the body parts

http://youtu.be/eD0yBznzkZg

TCK
10-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Dude...Ghost, You are always a fun romp on the Uke, but the new fellow you have brought along, the dad and lad silly, well, this is the stuff smiles are made of. Thanks guys.
OK, my son has joined me again in doing damage to some old-school female-fronted New Wave. Here's our take on Blondie's Heart of Glass (my son seeking to capture Debbie Harry's icy demeanor, while I'm just...me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjV3e1n0yj4
Scroll.

myrnaukelele
10-29-2013, 06:19 PM
We had some wild wild winds the other night. The 65' white spruce that has graced our land for over 300 years (?we'll be counting rings but it's at least that old) was blown down. It's being cut up in the background as I sing.

http://youtu.be/5Rxhbs_biyQ

Hippie Dribble
10-29-2013, 06:41 PM
howdy gang, with a few personal upheavals of late it's been a couple of months since I joined in the seasons, or even played a uke really. But anyway, it's great to jump back in this week and hope to be around a bit more often from here on in. This is an awesome novelty song from one of the finest lyricists of the jazz age, Walter Donaldson. Many thanks for hosting Ginny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNiTOCWDY60

TCK
10-29-2013, 06:58 PM
So, my family is from a little island called Ustica. Long ago, someone told me the patron of said island was San Bartolomeo. Saint Bart there was flayed, and thus is depicted as a statue holding his own skin...and my people parade his statue around in the street whenever anyone comes to visit. They are an eccentric lot, but I suppose that I am too, because every time I think of the mother land, this is one of the songs that comes to mind...but that is just me employing the TCK rule really.
For now, the most important part is this here. Jon is back.
I am no stranger to the bro-mance, and I do not cower from it. Jon is the reason I made my first video...and now I have made far too many. I really hope you all join me, because Jon has not had the best month, and what he brings us is special (what you all bring us is special...)
Welcome back Jon.
-Lefty
howdy gang, with a few personal upheavals of late it's been a couple of months since I joined in the seasons, or even played a uke really. But anyway, it's great to jump back in this week and hope to be around a bit more often from here on in. This is an awesome novelty song from one of the finest lyricists of the jazz age, Walter Donaldson. Many thanks for hosting Ginny.

And oh yeah- pants down ending? I love you man.

Hippie Dribble
10-29-2013, 07:16 PM
aaah geez Dave, make me cry why don't ya. Well? Go on then....

love ya mate, like a brother.

-Pancho

thesillydave
10-29-2013, 07:37 PM
i need brains..............if you can....wait for the witch!

http://youtu.be/d7mT13NRHnU
and to remember which season it is!
the witch scared me!

Rustyy
10-29-2013, 08:30 PM
I thought I should post another. I was wondering if a mustache qualified, but I figured if "hair" as originally suggested was OK, then why not?
I sometimes feel a bit of a misfit here with all you pickers and pluckers, and me a mere strummer. I don't have time to learn how to do all that, too busy learning new songs to strum.

http://youtu.be/VqTRyyVB5O8

Tootler
10-29-2013, 10:45 PM
I sometimes feel a bit of a misfit here with all you pickers and pluckers, and me a mere strummer. I don't have time to learn how to do all that, too busy learning new songs to strum.

I shouldn't worry. I'm a strummer too. From time to time, I experiment with picking but always end up going back to strumming. I find techniques like Ukey Dave's useful for fill between verses or for intros but while actually singing, I find simple strumming is best as you need to be on autopilot so you can concentrate on the words.

10-29-2013, 10:51 PM
bonus vid...

chelle, aka hochapeafarm, asked me to do this song

she couldn't ask me to do anything EASY

like "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands"

oh no

but you know me

i never complain

:uhoh:

much

anyway here we go

"eyes without a face" by billy idol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxGhUe84rQA

Rustyy
10-30-2013, 12:26 AM
I shouldn't worry. I'm a strummer too. From time to time, I experiment with picking but always end up going back to strumming. I find techniques like Ukey Dave's useful for fill between verses or for intros but while actually singing, I find simple strumming is best as you need to be on autopilot so you can concentrate on the words.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll keep going as is. Would like to find time to do intros as we'll tho

cua94
10-30-2013, 02:52 AM
you two sound great together!

GinnyT11
10-30-2013, 05:52 AM
greyghost - Heart of Glass - I think it would be hard to find another duo having so much fun doing a song, which is excellent for this theme. I was smiling a lot at your interaction, as well as your cool fill vocals. Great falsetto, Luis! We're super glad your son is here singing...has he asked you to sing that song with him at school?

Jazzbanjorex - Pickin' Up Bones bonus - Here I am in a roadhouse crying in my beer, and you sing this dang song that makes me cry harder. Curse you, Rex Travis! I especially liked your thumping rhythm "track"; it sounded like a washboard bass.

Jazzbanjorex - When the Thought of You Catches Up with Me bonus - Nice use of restrained reverb in this. It's good in the high parts. I hadn't considered thought as a body part, but it sparks and drives our actions, so why not? It can also give you wings or make you feel heavy. And it's spooky how a thought can haunt us.

raygf - I Can't Get it Out of My Head - Ray, you were really immersed in that one...such feeling you brought to it. I like the blue effect too. I was quite caught up in your performance because of your commitment. I especially liked the little fast strums in the instrumental parts.
Tell me, though, what is a "wave's chicane"? Maybe uke4ia knows; he speaks '70s songwriting gibberish-jive.

Jazzbanjorex - Neon Moon bonus - You have so many songs in your pocket, in a variety of styles, that you could surely play full nights for lucky coffee house crowds. Sweet, beautiful picking and your vocals are always a pleasure to listen to.

Rustyy - Please Don't Bury Me bonus - A jolly fun song, and I like that you made the angels talk to Rusty himself. You can probably have all that happen—even the arms to Venus de Milo—if you carry an organ-donor's card in your wallet.

Myrnaukulele - That Silver-tongued Devil - A very beautiful rendition, ma'am, just perfect with the baritone. The song shows again that nice guys finish way behind the sharp charmer. My favorite line is "I was searching from bottle to bottle, for something un-foolish to say." Too right.
Loved the slice of Alaskan life you showed us: manly men turning the result of nature's anger into something useful.

Eugene Ukulele - 'Tain't No Sin to Take Off Your Skin - It's more than good to see you playing again, Jon! This is a clever tune that's just your style. I love whistling interludes, and you're also good at dropping in uke percussion when it's cool to do so. Well done, sir.
Appreciate the tie, but what is the story behind the pants-off shout-out to TCK?

TheSillyDave - If I Only Had a Brain - You are a leading exponent of silliness in the Seasons, Dave, but you're clever about it too...sort of a managed silliness. This was most excellent, both in playing and in dunking yourself in the mood of this theme. You got sillywife to play too. Thanks a bunch for this. I do love me some whistling.

Rustyy - Pencil-Thin Mustache bonus - Oh, this is fun, Rusty. Dreams of being cool pervade youth through the ages, I guess. Andy Devine played Wild Bill Hickok's sidekick on TV, and I didn't like to miss "Out of the blue of the Western sky comes...SKY KING!" (http://www.skyking.com/) You keep strumming, man. Trying to pick makes me tense and crazy, and uking should be fun.
Oh, you know how to get that pencil-thin mustache? You just trim a little on this side, then a little on that side...

bird's eye view of my uke - Eyes without a Face - Oh Lynda, you are doing some really fine stuff here! I like the variation of tempo and dynamic you've done so well, and the backing vocal adds depth without being intrusive. This is a top job for you. Let me say that again: This is a top job for you.

UkeCan1
10-30-2013, 05:52 AM

You mean it's over?! Nobody told me....

[W to F: "What should we go as to the jam Thursday (Halloween)?'
F: "What about hippies?"
W: "Yeah, that's a stretch. People will be saying, Wendy, where's your costume?"]

GinnyT11
10-30-2013, 05:54 AM
Please check that I've got your entries in the Entry Playlist and your bonuses in the Bonus Playlist.

PM me if I need to fix something.

ukuleledaddy
10-30-2013, 11:31 AM
I have a soft spot for doo wop. I multi tracked the bejesus out of parts of this recording. The more I worked on it the more a part of me kept saying I must stop. I could have done much more but the toilets still need cleaning.
Here's a Curtis Lee tune, Pretty Little Angel Eyes......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHCZhWHMPpE

decaturcomp
10-30-2013, 11:34 AM
What you're doing is terrific.
Don't change a hair for us.
Not if you care for us.

Besides, everyone is somewhere on the continuum.
If you feel like adding or subtracting something that'll be fine.
Do what make you happy.
Being concerned about how you play seems like a lot of work when we're all just trying to have some fun, yeah?

Loved this vid!

UkeyDave
10-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Here is a quick very rough second bonus track. I thought it was time to give Lynda of BirdEyeViewOfMyUke (fame) camera angle a go. I think I'd call this one BirdsEyeViewOfMyTigerFeet (see what I did there?). I am pleased to discover that I still have a full head of hair on top of that barnet of mine. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsWkJWFceOg

redpaul1
10-30-2013, 11:37 AM
And we're back! Not sure if this counts (depends on whether 'plucking a bird' is allegorical or not ;o), but I had fun doing it at any rate.

http://youtu.be/MAnQCblwDiE

wee_ginga_yin
10-30-2013, 11:59 AM
I first heard a ukulele version "pale blue eyes" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ApASKb7sEg) when listening to a ukulele/Jews harp
version by Russell Kenny. The music was good but the Ken Burns zoom was even better.

Inspired by the Jaw Harp/Jews Harp that Russell used, on the chorus I used a Vietnamese
Dan Moi instead of a Jews Harp. If you do not know what a Dan Moi is check out Samm Bennett (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8BrxEiLJJ0)
who is a master of the instrument.

I am always getting mine stuck in my moustache... that would never happen with a theremin :-)

http://youtu.be/0bzWzLKhjGM

decaturcomp
10-30-2013, 12:00 PM
A little Ma Rainey tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rR5BW-qyo0

uke4ia
10-30-2013, 12:01 PM
raygf - I Can't Get it Out of My Head - Ray, you were really immersed in that one...such feeling you brought to it. I like the blue effect too. I was quite caught up in your performance because of your commitment. I especially liked the little fast strums in the instrumental parts.
Tell me, though, what is a "wave's chicane"? Maybe uke4ia knows; he speaks '70s songwriting gibberish-jive.

Maybe it's a Mondagreen. I'm pretty sure that line is "Walking on a wave she came".

Lyric web sites are very often wrong. They all seem to have some software routine that goes to all the other lyric sites and copies from them. So if one person mishears a lyric and submits it to a lyric web site, a lot of other sites may overwrite their correct lyrics with the wrong one. I often listen to a song while looking at a lyric web site, so I can decide if I believe they have the lyrics right. Also, I'm coming to the conclusion that occasionally a singer muffs a word or two, and if the performance is strong overall, the producer may decide it's best to leave it that way, mistake and all.

Hochapeafarm
10-30-2013, 12:02 PM
OMGoodness!!!! That was flippin' AMAZING!!!! I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- YOU ROCK IT -- HARD!!!! That was awesome, Lynda!!! Thank you sooooooooooo much for doing this one!!!!!! (I treasure this so much!) :-)

bonus vid...

chelle, aka hochapeafarm, asked me to do this song

she couldn't ask me to do anything EASY

like "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands"

oh no

but you know me

i never complain

:uhoh:

much

anyway here we go

"eyes without a face" by billy idol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxGhUe84rQA

Raygf
10-30-2013, 12:46 PM

Ginny,
I looked it up and found a wave chicane can be a breakwater structure or bulkhead used to calm large ocean waves or the crest of a wave. One definition I found referred to Aphrodite/Venus (Greek/Roman) being born from the foam of the waves.

GinnyT11
10-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Ginny,
I looked it up and found a wave chicane can be a breakwater structure or bulkhead used to calm large ocean waves or the crest of a wave. One definition I found referred to Aphrodite/Venus (Greek/Roman) being born from the foam of the waves.

Okay! I believe Botticelli when he pictures a woman on a wave's chicane.

GinnyT11
10-30-2013, 01:05 PM
ukuleledaddy - Pretty Little Angel Eyes - I had to listen to this twice because it was so much fun, and I might have to listen to it more. Sean, you are really a Wild Thing in this song and it's a blast to watch you. Fantastic extra tracks and kazoo-ing!
If you ask your family if you should clean the toilets or do things like this, I think I know what they'll say. But if they hesitate, be stout-hearted about your uking because for sure all the Seasonistas need you to be doing this.

UkeyDave - Tiger Feet bonus- As they said so often in the 70s, "whatever turns you on." If it's tiger feet, well...who are we to judge? I liked the line "Well, flash your warning lights just as long as you like," which reminded me of one of my favorite hard-boiled writer's descriptions for a go-ahead: "She had her landing lights on."
Thank you, Dave, for venturing into a new realm of cinematography and thus showing us your feet in this. We hardly ever get to see feet.

redpaul1 - Alouette bonus- Paul, I like that you can sing in French AND German! This is about the body parts of a lark, and they generally fly around naked, so...it doesn't quite fit the parameters about modest human body parts. I'll put it in the bonuses because it's always good to have you contribute. You know way more about music than I do.

wee_ginga_yin - Pale Blue Eyes - I'm going to send a donation tonight to the Archival Film Restoration Fund so we can save your antique film before it crumbles to dust. Loved the eerie jaw harp track...it reminded me a little of one of those 1950s movies where insects have been altered by radiation into giant creatures that threaten our way of life—aaggh! Thanks for this mighty effort of creativity.

decaturcomp - Black Eye Blues bonus - Why, WHY is she still "gonna hang around"? He's awful. But it's the blues, so she's got to be miserable. Glad you did this tune.

Please check the playlists to make sure I've got your songs in the right list!

WHEN WILL WE GET A MONSTER MASH?

we tigers
10-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Lynda beat us to it with her great version, so you'll just have endure another rendition of this beautiful Billy Idol song. Here's Eyes Without a Face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LPSD84PN2A&feature=share&list=UUB3-3J6EjfJg9hKPxCIPtTQ

redpaul1
10-30-2013, 01:26 PM
From the sublime (above) to the ridiculous is oft but a single post.

http://youtu.be/cID_qdDWDn4

Apologies to RayGF, but it was his (magnificent) 'Can't Get It Out of My Head' that put the idea for this one into my head :o

29moons
10-30-2013, 01:27 PM
I thought about this one too. Great job guys. If you don't mind I'm going to add it to my ukulele playlist on youtube.

Lynda beat us to it with her great version, so you'll just have endure another rendition of this beautiful Billy Idol song. Here's Eyes Without a Face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LPSD84PN2A&feature=share&list=UUB3-3J6EjfJg9hKPxCIPtTQ

KoaDependent
10-30-2013, 02:29 PM
That's got a very Nouvelle Vague vibe to it, WeTigers.

HendrikM
10-30-2013, 03:27 PM

Prachtig (Wonderful - if I'm using the correct word, my dutch is rusty)
Enjoyed listening to this! Lovely voice.
Cheers
Hendrik

myrnaukelele
10-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments on my Kris Kristofferson vid. It's been replaced - same vid with a properly spelled title. I couldn't let the misspelling stand for all posterity.

HendrikM
10-30-2013, 03:42 PM

Wow, I need to start blocking my webcam... just in case. When I'm brave enough, every party needs a wallflower. :)

GinnyT11
10-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Wow, I need to start blocking my webcam... just in case. When I'm brave enough, every party needs a wallflower. :)

Hey, Hendrik, come on in and sing something in Dutch. Aren't there some sea chanties about ship captains with peg legs or something? You see how silly we're being in here.

myrnaukelele
10-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Maybe it's a Mondagreen. I'm pretty sure that line is "Walking on a wave she came".

Lyric web sites are very often wrong. They all seem to have some software routine that goes to all the other lyric sites and copies from them. So if one person mishears a lyric and submits it to a lyric web site, a lot of other sites may overwrite their correct lyrics with the wrong one. I often listen to a song while looking at a lyric web site, so I can decide if I believe they have the lyrics right. Also, I'm coming to the conclusion that occasionally a singer muffs a word or two, and if the performance is strong overall, the producer may decide it's best to leave it that way, mistake and all.
You are SO right uke4ia. The Kris Kristofferson song I sang had several mistakes in the online lyrics. I went to Cowboy Lyrics and ran them off without checking them. It should be "shifting his share" not slipping his share. The young maiden (not lady) gives up her charms (not her soul). I'd listened to the song but not with the lyrics in front of me so I sang them as they printed off not as they were written. Learned my lesson.

uke4ia
10-30-2013, 04:32 PM
After the earlier discussion, I found this on a web site called the Jeff Lynne Song Database:

There has long been debate about a line in the opening verse of the song. Is it "walking on a wave's chicane" or "walking on a wave she came"? The lyric sheet issued with the Eldorado album lists it as "chicane" but lyric sheets have often been known to be wrong so can't be entirely trusted. Even watching Jeff's lips as he sings the song doesn't answer the mystery as the lip movement for either lyric is too similar. And then there is the question, what exactly is a "chicane"? It's not a common word so may not show up in your average English dictionary, but it refers to the frothy tip of a cresting wave. Thus, if the woman in the song is walking on a wave's chicane, she is walking upon the top of the waves. Was Jeff being obtuse and using an obscure lyric in his song or was it simply a transcription error by whoever did the original lyric sheet? It's a mystery.

The site also explained for me the weird instrumental break before the last chorus of "Evil Woman". It's a snippet of the string part from the song "Nightrider" played backwards and run through a flanger.

GinnyT11
10-30-2013, 04:35 PM
After the earlier discussion, I found this on a web site called the Jeff Lynne Song Database:

The site also explained for me the weird instrumental break before the last chorus of "Evil Woman". It's a snippet of the string part from the song "Nightrider" played backwards and run through a flanger.

I thought that was illegal in most states.

ukuleledaddy
10-30-2013, 04:38 PM

That could be the best bit of trivia I've come across in the seasons. Thanks Jim!

GinnyT11
10-30-2013, 04:40 PM

Here's the Italian "girl on a wave's chicane" that I mentioned earlier.

Jazzbanjorex
10-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Jazzbanjorex - Pickin' Up Bones bonus - Here I am in a roadhouse crying in my beer, and you sing this dang song that makes me cry harder. Curse you, Rex Travis! I especially liked your thumping rhythm "track"; it sounded like a washboard bass.

Jazzbanjorex - When the Thought of You Catches Up with Me bonus - Nice use of restrained reverb in this. It's good in the high parts. I hadn't considered thought as a body part, but it sparks and drives our actions, so why not? It can also give you wings or make you feel heavy. And it's spooky how a thought can haunt us.

Jazzbanjorex - Neon Moon bonus - You have so many songs in your pocket, in a variety of styles, that you could surely play full nights for lucky coffee house crowds. Sweet, beautiful picking and your vocals are always a pleasure to listen to.

Thank you Ginny.

The Thumping Rhythm Track is actually live. It's my heel thumping on the Cajon that I'm sitting on. I like acoustic percussion devices I can use in a live performance.

The Reverb is from the Digitech Vocalist Live 2 that I have my condenser mic running through for phantom power, compression, eq, and reverb.

I like simplicity when achievable. One mic placed right through a signal device and into the camera. Record it, upload it and I'm done. It parallels performing for me. I envy those able to video multitrack and video edit but I don't envy the time it takes (for me anyway).

I've purchased Pinnacle 16 and I am watching the training videos but I still don't see me turning into an elite video editor as some Seasonistas are.

I dusted off my old 3 ring binder full of country songs I used to perform in the Honky Tonks back in my Telecaster days. I wanted Diggin' Up Bones but then found the others in the book and remembered them well enough to record them.

Again thank you.

GinnyT11
10-30-2013, 04:56 PM
we tigers - Eyes Without a Face - Give me a minute to get my breath back—that was one of your very best in a long line of excellent videos. Let's count the ways it's good: Saskia's elegant voice (with a little more commitment because you're not glocking), Saskia's red hair, Michael's smoooooth playing and supporting vocal (at the just the right volume), plus a subliminal bass track and a little finger snapping. Did I get them all? Let me watch it again...

uke4ia
10-30-2013, 05:22 PM
That could be the best bit of trivia I've come across in the seasons. Thanks Jim!
They have clips of it from both songs at: http://www.jefflynnesongs.com/evilwoman/

Turns out there's also a string part from the opening of "Evil Woman" that is played in reverse in "Fire On High".

ukuleledaddy
10-30-2013, 05:27 PM
They have clips of it from both songs at: http://www.jefflynnesongs.com/evilwoman/

Turns out there's also a string part from the opening of "Evil Woman" that is played in reverse in "Fire On High".
Oh! I love Fire On High. Going to listen for the Evil Woman bit...

southside mike
10-30-2013, 06:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT_TpVwMBJw
I just found this one today. It's by the Zack Brown Band. I don't really know their music but this one had the right name and when I listened to it today I thought that I might be able to do something with it. As we will be in south Florida in a couple of weeks I could identify with it to a certain degree. I didn't realize that my camera was flipped until I saw my shirt as I looked at the playback of the video. Oh well I will be left handed again next time.

10-30-2013, 06:24 PM
I think I'd call this one BirdsEyeViewOfMyTigerFeet (see what I did there?)
a. lol!

and b. that was great! i do love me some glam rock

Thank you sooooooooooo much for doing this one!!!!!!
thank you for asking!

and it's a good job i got in before we tigers otherwise i think i'd just have packed up my stuff and gone home! they were truly amazing :bowdown:

I thought that was illegal in most states.
lol!

uke4ia
10-30-2013, 06:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T8r-ywgvh0

Bonus #4: I've been playing ballads all week, for my last one I have to cut loose. This is "Another Nail in My Heart" by Squeeze. I learned this a couple of years ago, but I haven't played it in a long time. Ginny, you inspired me -- I think this is the first time I've done five songs in a Season. And I may still have another one or two for the Misfits thread. But for now, I'll go play with my flanger. :rolleyes:

greenie44
10-30-2013, 07:55 PM
So, I have another song I am working on for my real entry, but technical difficulties prevented me from getting it done yet. I asked Ginny if I could post this bonus before my entry, and she gave the OK.

It's a bonus because, well, I kind of broke The Rules. There are no body parts in this song title, or the song. (And not very many words either.) But it seemed to fit in with the overall Halloween scariness of this week, enhanced a bit with wardrobe. It was fun (and sweaty) making this, and I hope you have fun watching it. Oh, and the song is by Roky Erickson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbF7oI67gj0&feature=player_detailpage

peewee
10-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Hi All,
I got my buddy Warren ("The Human Metronome") over to costar today, here's our one-take run at "If I Only Had A Brain" which should be a Zombie classic.
No costumes, but a big Broadway finish and a sloppy lead part.
enjoy!
http://youtu.be/vyg70V9DpsA

http://youtu.be/vyg70V9DpsA

KoaDependent
10-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Here's my contribution for the week:

They Might Be Giants - Turn Around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYxDNC0s1Kk

Once again, the muttonchop sideburns are an accoutrement for a play I'm currently doing, not a fashion choice. They'll be gone by Thanksgiving, thank goodness.

One nice thing - there appear to only be three other cover versions of this song out there on YouTube. Two are ukuleles, and one of those is Sillydave.

10-30-2013, 08:58 PM
KoaDependent - great vid, and i'm sorry but i LOVE those sideboards!

peewee
10-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Here's another before bedtime: Robyn Hitchcock's "The Abandoned Brain" (http://youtu.be/3gELBkoN1F0) a vaguely sinister druggy dirge that sounds better with his delivery and an organ, but here's the octave Bari cover:
http://youtu.be/9VsXXBcOM0I

misterbee
10-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Now that's a little bowl of awesome-sauce....

UkeyDave
10-31-2013, 03:25 AM
Here's another before bedtime: Robyn Hitchcock's "The Abandoned Brain" (http://youtu.be/3gELBkoN1F0) a vaguely sinister druggy dirge that sounds better with his delivery and an organ, but here's the octave Bari cover:

Brilliant. When I grow up I want to be able to sing and play like PEEWEE (Oh yes I do) :)

peewee
10-31-2013, 05:56 AM
Brilliant. When I grow up I want to be able to sing and play like PEEWEE (Oh yes I do) :)

I am deeply flattered and somewhat flustered by your generous comment..thanks

GinnyT11
10-31-2013, 05:56 AM
southside mike - Toes bonus - Mike, that is some special uke tune! Can we please put Jimmy Buffet over there in the shade now, or in the shed out back? This is a great song for the uke with a little travel (or age) discovery in it. ("Senoritas don't care-o when there's no diniero...") I loved your ease in playing (and you did it all backward, too!) and the mentions of the uke. Your picking interludes were really fine. To me, the best part is the life lesson at the end---life can be good anywhere. Very well done.

uke4ia -Another Nail in My Heart bonus - We need a zoom on your uke in that break—we are witnessing excellence of fretting and picking in the instrumental part. I'm pleased that you cut loose on this one...a rocker can drown in too many ballads.

greenie44 - I Walked With a Zombie bonus - Yes, we needed this for sure. It's a fine addition to the bonus list. (Dave~Wave did another song by this songwriter for his entry.) I like the harmony tracks, and especially enjoyed the falsetto line. You don't think of zombies having a lot of vocal range.

peewee - If I Could Eat Your Brain bonus - Ha! Nice re-imagining of the song. I love the "be worthy erv you" line. BTW, we need Warren here with us in the Seasons. Unless he's signed under a name we don't know, poke his brain enough to get him to stop by more often.

KoaDependent - Turn Around - What a great song for Halloween! Thanks for doing it, and also thanks for doing it SO WELL! Your performance was very amusing, with your 'burns giving us sort of a Dickensian tone to it. The low voicing also made it a bit creepier, like it's a secret. Excellent on the change of tempo verse. Question: does the ghost of your dance instructor play the xylophone with BONES? Bwah ha ha!

peewee - The Abandoned Brain bonus - Wow, another cool contribution. I like the way the song sounds, but I wonder about what has caused the brain to be abandoned. Is it maybe after an electroshock treatment, or is it like college freshmen in an early Monday poli sci class?

Please check that your songs are in the right playlist. Sometimes I have an abandoned brain.

glass
10-31-2013, 06:06 AM
I would love to do one song, I shall see if I will have the time its a busy week here!

max2173
10-31-2013, 08:04 AM
This is from my favourite TV show of all time - Red Dwarf!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtdNAp7yg1Y&feature=youtu.be

~dave~~wave~
10-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Back in the 70s it seemed there was an inordinate number of poncho-wearing young ladies who thought the were witches, practiced magick, etc.
Some of them had frizzy hair and quadrophonic stereos...

Happy Halloween, we miss you, Frank.

http://youtu.be/T8PI70iOrTk

xommen
10-31-2013, 08:49 AM
UkeyDave already did this one in English Adri (my Wife) and me had a lot of fun making you this video of the Dutch version.
This is a bonus Hoofd, Schouders, Knie en Teen which translates to Head, Schoulder, Knees and Tows is that the name for the English version too?

http://youtu.be/GVXU5tZm1yo

we tigers
10-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Wim, ik lig dubbel! Echt supergrappig!

frisbee fred
10-31-2013, 09:25 AM
Bonus 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERo5CohIJUU&feature=youtu.be

uke4ia
10-31-2013, 09:32 AM

Nice. I don't think I've heard this song before, I like it. I went for one of Hitchcock's unusually normal songs.

There's still plenty of Hitchcock songs available for this week. "The Man With the Lightbulb Head" ("I'm the man with the lightbulb head, I turn myself on in the dark...."), "One Long Pair of Eyes", "Veins of the Queen", "The Face of Death", "Chinese Bones", "Queen of Eyes", "You've Got a Sweet Mouth on You, Baby", and others.

decaturcomp
10-31-2013, 09:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kav_pyIC4I

DWitt
10-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Here's my entry! "Red Right Ankle," by the Decemberists.

I've tried playing this on the ukulele now and then, and never figured out how to make it sound right (i.e. not like crap), given that I'm not yet skilled enough to do all the hammerons and stuff while singing. I tried putting in a bunch of m7, maj7, 9th, and sus4 chord changes and, hey, while it's pretty *different* from the original, I think it works okay for the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK_uzmZIYB0

DWitt
10-31-2013, 10:25 AM
RE: Your Brains—

I love this song, and this is a fabulous version. I like the intimate quality of the solo ukulele and your intricate playing—and the conversational aspect of your singing adds greatly to the story element of the song. A great version of a song I already loved.

decaturcomp
10-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks very much. I particularly love the corporate patois coming from a zombie CEO (Corporate Headhunter?) There's a key change in the original that has always eluded me for some reason but it came to me in a flash that, if ever there was a song that could reasonably be dumbed down...

RE: Your Brains—

I love this song, and this is a fabulous version. I like the intimate quality of the solo ukulele and your intricate playing—and the conversational aspect of your singing adds greatly to the story element of the song. A great version of a song I already loved.

mikef
10-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Happy Halloween everybody!
I'm sorry I've not been around much recently, I'm having a bit of shoulder trouble and struggling to play much.

BUT I thought I'd make an effort this week and remind you all who I am seeing as I'm hosting in a couple of weeks!

So without further ado, here's "Old Red Eyes Is Back" by The Beautiful South dedicated to a secret Paul Heaton fan :)

http://youtu.be/h3dgEy5grT4

Tootler
10-31-2013, 01:10 PM
At the beginning of this week I had something completely different planned but we've had workmen in all week redoing the kitchen so I have had to grab some time when I can and my original idea would have needed a lot more work.

Here is another song from the glory days of Rock n Roll.

http://youtu.be/Q5v5dPH3ziw

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
10-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Well I thought this would be a good song to do, but the further I got through the week the more I thought I should have tried something different. I really don't think I have got the right strumming on this, maybe it just isn't right for my style [whatever that is!]
I back in the passageway next to our house as I had to record it after the little one had gone to bed.
Anyway here it is for your delectation and delight.

http://youtu.be/0EBgWMtJc5w

let me know what you think either here or on utube.

GinnyT11
10-31-2013, 01:29 PM
max2173 - Tongue Tied - Woohoo, Max, you have elevated your game. You chose a song that's outside your style, and you wore a tie for us! Clever lyrics (except maybe for that digestive one) that you sang really well—the tongue-tying sounded like scat. Very nice use of multitracking. A fine entry for this week.
Ladies and gentlemen, Max is scheduled to host next week...should be fun.

~~Dave~Wave~~ Camarillo Brillo bonus - Your mind is a wonder, Dave. We can all learn from you. Loved your poncho—the way it sits over you, it's like you have a big bow tie, which adds an extra layer of meaning to this complex Zappa work. I feel more Halloweened now.

xommen - Hoofd, schouders, knie en teen - Dank u, Wim and Adri! I'm glad to see your lovely wife-dancer in a video, and I hope she'll come back when you get silly again. Great to see you laughing.
~~We've had this in English and Dutch...Anyone for Tete, epoules, genoux et pieds?~~

FrisbeeFred - Heartache bonus - Thanks, Fred. Yes, it's true...anything TCK has done once is okay for anyone else to do. What's the treatment for heartache? We all know it, shout it right out: The Seasons of the UKULELE!

I'm up to post #201. More in a few...

wallyboy
10-31-2013, 01:47 PM
nice theme ginny...spooky LOL
heres my bash bit fluffy in places,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4xLFAEfIg0

decaturcomp
10-31-2013, 01:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ppeEqR4sU

GinnyT11
10-31-2013, 03:35 PM
decaturcomp - Brains bonus - It's hard to sbrain to humans how really one-dimensional zombies can be. Still, they can be gentlemanly about their mayhem and terror. First-rate research effort to find this, and an excellently restrained performance.

DWitt - Red Right Ankle - And over in our Winter Lounge, Seasonista DWitt plays a Decemberists tune that will haunt you well into spring. Please sit back and drink this up. Very nicely played.

mikef - Ol' Red Eyes is Back - Thank GOODNESS you've come back to the Seasons, Mike! I'm sorry you've had shoulder problems, but the 3:35 of brilliance you gave us is worth the therapy you'll need. Now you know not to procrastinate when TCK recommends a song—that was perfect for your voice and style. I loved the energy, plus you had whistling...and growling! No flies anywhere on that performance.

Tootler - Willie and the Hand Jive - You had me snapping and tapping, Geoff, and if I had some empty floor here, I'd do a little dancing. The Risa is a powerful little instrument and you bring out some cr-aaazy beat. The hand jive seems a far more dangerous passion than the macarena.
(Geoff, I've forgotten—is that an entry or a bonus?)

Lumpy Wafflesquirt - Wooden Heart - Hey, Robin, we're all on a learning journey. Even if you're in a back corner of the house playing your uke, it can be fun, and we're glad to have you in the Seasons to show it off. That was a sweet little song. Let's have another.

wallyboy - Bright Eyes - Thanks for a little Garfunkel, Wally. You set it up for Halloween week, but it's a sweet, sad tune. I wish I could do that gentle pick-strum that you do.

decaturcomp - THE FIRST Monster Mash(up) - That lab is in the back of the Hotel California, right? Overmellowness is a pitiable medical condition; you should have your groove checked.

I just fended off an adolescent zombie, who unfortunately got a teeny piece of my brain that has to do with playlists. Please check that I've got your songs in the right place.

TCK
10-31-2013, 04:09 PM
This is so much better than I even imagined it would be. Mike- you are the best. Thanks for this one mate.
Happy Halloween everybody!
I'm sorry I've not been around much recently, I'm having a bit of shoulder trouble and struggling to play much.

BUT I thought I'd make an effort this week and remind you all who I am seeing as I'm hosting in a couple of weeks!

So without further ado, here's "Old Red Eyes Is Back" by The Beautiful South dedicated to a secret Paul Heaton fan :)

uke4ia
10-31-2013, 04:37 PM
It was ten years ago, on this very night....

:holds flashlight below face:

GinnyT11
10-31-2013, 05:18 PM
Wonderful photo, Jim. She's in college now, right?

42 years ago, on this night, MrT and I found each other across a crowded campus, and somehow we knew...

Hochapeafarm
10-31-2013, 05:26 PM
Happy Halloweeeeeeen -- some veerrryyyyy spooo-kayyyy stuff awaits those who shall lay eyes upon my entry for Season 89! :-D Ginny, YOU ARE A FANTABULOUS host -- thanks so much for hosting this AWESOME theme!!! Tooooo fun!!! Here's my cover of Jewel's "Hands" off of her 1998 album 'Spirit' (appropriate for this week's theme, 'eh?)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LdO_-KpXck

uke4ia
10-31-2013, 05:58 PM

42 years ago, on this night, MrT and I found each other across a crowded campus, and somehow we knew...

Wow, you're married to Mr. T? "I pity the fool who messes with my wife!"

Yes, my daughter's a college freshman.

decaturcomp
10-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Congratulations you crazy kids!

pabrizzer
10-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Bonus again.
Every 6 weeks I get to spend a day in Sydney while my wife spends time in hospital. Rather than pay the extortion of $7 an hour to park at the hospital I spend time in quiet harbour side parks where I did this video today.
Roughie done on inbuilt laptop camera and including a mid song tune attempt.
Born With a Broken Heart a David Wax museum song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZmNTCaTBh4

Tootler
11-01-2013, 02:47 AM
Tootler - Willie and the Hand Jive - You had me snapping and tapping, Geoff, and if I had some empty floor here, I'd do a little dancing. The Risa is a powerful little instrument and you bring out some cr-aaazy beat. The hand jive seems a far more dangerous passion than the macarena.
(Geoff, I've forgotten—is that an entry or a bonus?)

Thanks, Ginny. I enjoy doing these rock n roll songs, especially as I can apply effects to get a "proper" sound.

Anyway to answer your query, it was meant as a bonus. The original song I posted earlier was meant as my entry.

GinnyT11
11-01-2013, 03:53 AM
I AM LIFTING THE LIMIT ON BONUSES

There are some songs I long to hear...

Will someone over 40 please do This Old Heart of Mine?
Can some plugged-in rocker do Behind Blue Eyes?
Can anyone manage One Hand, One Heart from West Side Story?
Will some goofball do Your Feet's Too Big? (They're stickin' up out' da casket.)
Will some songbird please do Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue?
Will some elegant stylist please do Cheek to Cheek?
Anyone for Goldfinger?

GinnyT11
11-01-2013, 03:53 AM
ADDITIONAL PLAN FOR MONSTER MASH ENTRIES (thanks, Alan)

Let's boost the count on separate Monster Mash playlist by making it easier.
Play the song in an unexpected style, such as...

Country
Punk
Reggae
Tango
Blues
Calypso
Disco
Jazz
Rock Anthem
Broadway Show

I'd be greatly amused to see Monster Mash in the manner of Devo.

wee_ginga_yin
11-01-2013, 04:08 AM
There is something magical about a Saturday night. When you are young it is all that you long for, and when you are old it is something you like to remember.

A Tom Waits song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXYmGg8J2KU

mikef
11-01-2013, 04:28 AM
Just done some catching up on this weeks entries... man it's good to be back in amongst the Seasons... you're all so cool and such fun. Smiles, smiles and more smiles.

Special shouts of awesomeness go out to WeTigers... just WOW... best vocals ever ever ever... I'm going back for a third listen. And max2173... an absolutely inspired choice and performance Sir (see Space Corps Directive 1742) :D

GinnyT11
11-01-2013, 05:18 AM
hochapeafarm - Hands - I know you live on a farm-ish sort of property with animals, but you sing and play as if you're jamming at least once a week with pros. Your wonderful rapport with the uke shows that, after some disappointment, you have found your ukey love. Your intensity with the singing shows that the song means a lot to you. And you're having fun with the recordings, so it's always a pleasure to see you here. A Big Hand for the little lady!

pabrizzer - Born with a Broken Heart - I don't like to think that there are people so sad, but I guess this makes songwriters' best material. This is a tender song, with the teeniest glimmer of finding hope, and you playing it outside in a pretty place made it more poignant. Thanks for the water view of the park.

wee_ginga_yin - Heart of Saturday Night - Rob, I like you doing that very, very much. It's a good style for you, and I can believe you had a few such Saturday nights. (Such great visual and audial imagery in it!) I appreciate even more that I could clearly see you playing; the remembered emotion you were bringing to it in your face added a lot. (As did the sepia tone and the moderate reverb.) Sometimes I think your visual effects may separate you from your viewers, but this was immediate and moving.

we tigers
11-01-2013, 05:41 AM
Just done some catching up on this weeks entries... man it's good to be back in amongst the Seasons... you're all so cool and such fun. Smiles, smiles and more smiles.

Special shouts of awesomeness go out to WeTigers... just WOW... best vocals ever ever ever... I'm going back for a third listen. And max2173... an absolutely inspired choice and performance Sir (see Space Corps Directive 1742) :D

Thanks Mike! Appreciate it a lot, my friend.

wee_ginga_yin
11-01-2013, 05:45 AM
wee_ginga_yin - Heart of Saturday Night - Rob, I like you doing that very, very much. It's a good style for you, and I can believe you had a few such Saturday nights. (Such great visual and audial imagery in it!) I appreciate even more that I could clearly see you playing; the remembered emotion you were bringing to it in your face added a lot. (As did the sepia tone and the moderate reverb.) Sometimes I think your visual effects may separate you from your viewers, but this was immediate and moving.

Sometimes you can achieve a freedom when you play a song. You forget the camera,
the chords fall in place easily, and the words come rolling out.

In all of this a swivel chair helps immensely :-)

southside mike
11-01-2013, 08:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MBx7h0vF2g
Here's one for the Monster Mash group. I'm not sure of the style and I AM wearing my Halloween costume! Oh and it works best as a sing and play along song. Only three chords - C F G

xommen
11-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Ginny asked for it so I downloaded lyrics and chords and started playing so if it sounds anything like the original that might be because I heard a little bit of it, or it might be purely coincidental ;). So I guess this is monstermash Wim style. And if Mike is wearing his halloween costume so am I.

http://youtu.be/RIRfj6gPhow

GinnyT11
11-01-2013, 10:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOqX7eI5RD4

Heart and Soul—two important body parts, one tangible, one intangible.

This take has a mistake, but if every take has its own mistake, it's better to quit early on, before all becomes weary, stale, flat and unprofitable, as Hamlet said. (What? You didn't know he was a uker?)

This is a short song, but note the fourteen 7th chords in the bridge.

Srax
11-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Hello!

Twice this week I had prepared a song someone else had already done it ... I know it it does not matter if you repeat song but do not know why I feel better if I do that no one has done that same season. But as it is: I hope the song chosen is appropriate for the season, so I must confess I can not understand its meaning ... at least the title has the words foot and eyes.

Regards

Sara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-BXMXNI8-0&feature=youtu.be

greenie44
11-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Here is my official body part entry. I tried a new location in the house today for some natural reverb, and perhaps it was a bit too much, but live and learn.

A song from Shot of Love by Mr. Bob Dylan. He's talking to his heart.

I might be able to find a way to do one of my favorite songs by The Frames, also about a heart, but not sure it I am going to be able to find a way that works.

http://youtu.be/eM3Ieg3HHLU

GinnyT11
11-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Srax - Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue - Well, this is a lucky day for me, to have Sara dropping in with a nice little tune in my week. Senora, that's a charming version of an old favorite. It had zest and cheeriness, and I loved how you got very high on the neck. I also like that you smiled most of the way through it. Nice to see you here!

greenie44 - Heart of Mine - I believe this may be our first Dylan entry. Here he seems to think his heart is working against his best interests. Billy Joel advises just the opposite in "Tell Her About It," so who is a guy going to believe? Thanks, Greenie, and we have lots of room on the bonus list for the heart songs you want to do.

southside mike - Monster Mash - Yes, yes! Love this rhythm. Very cool, sir!

xommen - Monster Mash - You've Wim-ized the song! I'm sure this is the way Bono would do it. :)

Here's a video of the song done with Legos. I love the Crypt-Kicker 5 shredding on their electric guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkKKzTYIe3Q

lelouden
11-01-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't see anything under the monster mash playlist Ginny! Im afraid your having a monster bust:(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOUBHYBOCK0

UkeCan1
11-01-2013, 02:06 PM
We are going to come in last place with this, but we did it. This was from our weekly jam at http://www.meetup.com/NJ-Acoustic-Music-in-the-Park last night, which happened to be Halloween night. In spite of the date, of about 25 attendees, we were the only ones in costume. Too bad you can barely see us in the video, but hopefully you can at least catch a whiff of FiL's hair. In deference to Ginny (and because I am one anyway), we went as hippies.

Since everyone was playing, there was no one to hold a camera, so I propped my iPhone on the lid of a giant candy-filled wicker pumpkin on the table opposite us. Terrible lighting, poor framing, fuzzy sound, but, most importantly, a good time was had by all. A little glimpse into our outside-UU musical life:

http://youtu.be/zAqb7OKt4hE

60495 60496 <- My "tripod"
Do you recognize this man?

Oh yeah - those are inflatable guitars next to the pumpkin. I brought them. Somebody actually played one. Several times. He put a tuner on the end ... and it drooped (like one of those body parts we're not allowed to use this week).

Body parts video (covering some parts we haven't heard from yet) planned for Sunday ... please don't all run off to Season 90, okay?

- Wendy (and FiL) of Uke Can 2!

lakesideglenn
11-01-2013, 02:57 PM
I AM LIFTING THE LIMIT ON BONUSES

There are some songs I long to hear...

Will someone over 40 please do This Old Heart of Mine?
Can some plugged-in rocker do Behind Blue Eyes?
Can anyone manage One Hand, One Heart from West Side Story?
Will some goofball do Your Feet's Too Big? (They're stickin' up out' da casket.)
Will some songbird please do Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue?
Will some elegant stylist please do Cheek to Cheek?
Anyone for Goldfinger?

Your Feets Too Big coming at you Ginny as soon as I can sing and play it proper at the same time! Hopefully later tonight or tomorrow.
Cheers!

ukuLily Mars
11-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Your Feets Too Big coming at you Ginny as soon as I can sing and play it proper at the same time! Hopefully later tonight or tomorrow.
Cheers!
Yay! I'm looking forward to that!

I'm working on This Old Heart of Mine. I was going to say I'm not old enough but I don't want TCK to say, "Man, Lily's really let herself go."

Also looking forward to seeing what other body parts UkeCan2 has up their sleeves. (Ha! See what I did there?)

ombracorta
11-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Here's our version of RED RIGH HAND from Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, we hope this is creepy enough for a Zombie body parts monster mash!

http://youtu.be/FqAQs1dGDgU

Our cast
Alice: ukulele
Ombracorta: ukulele and voice
Ghigo: cajon and voice
Buccinson: acoustic bass and accordion

Thanks!

GinnyT11
11-01-2013, 04:27 PM
I don't see anything under the monster mash playlist Ginny! Im afraid your having a monster bust:(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOUBHYBOCK0

Linda, that is quite funny. I hope to get some more Monster Mash songs. Why don't you sing it in the manner of Cher?

GinnyT11
11-01-2013, 05:19 PM
UkeCan1 - Monster Mash - Wendy, you are feeling it there! And FiL is letting his freak flag fly.
You must ask yourself nearly every day what took you so long to find the uke. Your jam group seems like a lot of fun.

ombracorta (and ghigo)- Red Right Hand - This has a body part in the title AND is very, very creepy—so, excellent for this Halloween week! I looked into the background of it and found: "The liner notes for Murder Ballads points out that the phrase 'red right hand' is from a line in John Milton's epic poem Paradise Lost that refers to the vengeful hand of God." There were some parts I had trouble hearing the lyrics, but I was reading them, so I followed it all. This is a very good cover, though you all seemed almost too relaxed for the tone of the song. Ghigo even sounds somewhat like Nick Cave. I love the beat and how it increased in intensity at the end. Nice organ interlude on the accordion. Creepy.

redpaul1
11-01-2013, 05:23 PM
"Frothy tip of a cresting wave?" I'd like to see Raygf's sources, but I suspect there's a lot of 'chicanery' in these explanations of the Jeff Lynne lyric (see what I did there? :) ). I stand to be corrected, but I can't find any dictionary that gives 'frothy tip of cresting wave' as a definition of chicane. Has anyone considered the possibility that it simply just doesn't make any sense? Or that Jeff Lynne mistook the definition of chicane for something else, as e.g., with Georgie Fame and the 'dewlap bag' fiasco?

Anyway, here's another number from me. It was going OK until the input jack started crackling right at the end of the song, hence the abrupt ending. I didn't have time for another take.

http://youtu.be/dIuMUopwR5U

Attached picture is of a wave chicane for a slot-car racetrack :)

pabrizzer
11-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Bonus again.
Blind Eye.
Another Hunters and Collectors song.
Original here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXHuIfOKtYY)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ruVk1ECg14

myrnaukelele
11-01-2013, 10:36 PM
It was a fun party...

http://youtu.be/ElM4M6W6xHo

Raygf
11-02-2013, 12:57 AM
"Frothy tip of a cresting wave?" I'd like to see Raygf's sources, but I think there's a lot of chicanery in these 'explanations' of the Jeff Lynne lyric. I stand to be corrected, but I can't find any dictionary that gives 'frothy tip of cresting wave' as a definition of chicane. Has anyone considered the possibility that it simply just doesn't make any sense? Or that Jeff Lynne mistook the definition of chicane for something else, as e.g., with Georgie Fame and the 'dewlap bag' fiasco?

Anyway, here's another number from me. It was going OK until the input jack started crackling right at the end of the song, hence the abrupt ending. I didn't have time for another take.

Attached picture is of a wave chicane for a slot-car racetrack :)

I read it on the internet. It must be true. Maybe it's poetic license. That would make the most sense to me. I'd claim that if it were my line. Maybe it's just a misunderstood lyric. I always thought it was "walking on a wave she came." I did read "frothy tip of a cresting wave" somewhere in my web search, but I can't find it in any of my posts. I agree, there is definitely some chicanery surrounding this line of lyrics and its explanations. Might as well go to the source. I just sent Jeff Lynne a message. I wonder how many times people have asked. Maybe he likes it that way. I'm not holding my breath for a response, but I thought I might as well give it a shot.

Here is his post from Halloween.

kcab nrut ...kcab nrut ...kcab nrut ...kcab nruT

I can still remember sitting there spinning the record backwards on the turntable to figure out what was being said.

Love your song choice.

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
11-02-2013, 01:08 AM
Lumpy Wafflesquirt - Wooden Heart - Hey, Robin, we're all on a learning journey. Even if you're in a back corner of the house playing your uke, it can be fun, and we're glad to have you in the Seasons to show it off. That was a sweet little song. Let's have another.

Ginny, you did ask for another one, so this can only be your fault :^)
The body part on this one is the Lips, both of them, Twolips in fact, but then there's a toe in the title as well. :^)
I printed off the chart for this at lunchtime then took it home to play and recorded it the same evening, so from first play to record was about 3 hrs and there were other jobs to do in that time. The jump in the middle is where I cut a bit out where the vocalist came in wrong the second time round ;^)

http://youtu.be/_HLeQQSJz_w
I guess this is a bonus, I don't really understand that concept, being a newbie.

wee_ginga_yin
11-02-2013, 01:39 AM
ombracorta (and ghigo)- Red Right Hand - This has a body part in the title AND is very, very creepy—so, excellent for this Halloween week! I looked into the background of it and found: "The liner notes for Murder Ballads points out that the phrase 'red right hand' is from a line in John Milton's epic poem Paradise Lost that refers to the vengeful hand of God." There were some parts I had trouble hearing the lyrics, but I was reading them, so I followed it all. This is a very good cover, though you all seemed almost too relaxed for the tone of the song. Ghigo even sounds somewhat like Nick Cave. I love the beat and how it increased in intensity at the end. Nice organ interlude on the accordion. Creepy.

I remember asking a gardener friend of mine which part of Ireland he was from and he replied for his sins he was from the red hand state which I thought was a bit cryptic until I discovered that the flag of Ulster has a red hand at its centre, and on closer inspection it turned out to be a red right hand… make of that what you will.

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/images/symbols/ulster-banner_1000.jpg

Rustyy
11-02-2013, 03:21 AM
Bonus entry for week 89
Trying to channel Franki Valli, got the frequencies confused and ended up with Frank from over in the next valley, and he couldn't sing either.

http://youtu.be/3BDbHlYyJR4

redpaul1
11-02-2013, 03:36 AM
I read it on the internet. It must be true. Maybe it's poetic license. That would make the most sense to me. I'd claim that if it were my line. Maybe it's just a misunderstood lyric. I always thought it was "walking on a wave she came." I did read "frothy tip of a cresting wave" somewhere in my web search, but I can't find it in any of my posts. I agree, there is definitely some chicanery surrounding this line of lyrics and its explanations. Might as well go to the source. I just sent Jeff Lynne a message. I wonder how many times people have asked. Maybe he likes it that way. I'm not holding my breath for a response, but I thought I might as well give it a shot.

Here is his post from Halloween.

kcab nrut ...kcab nrut ...kcab nrut ...kcab nruT

I can still remember sitting there spinning the record backwards on the turntable to figure out what was being said.

Love your song choice.

Thanks, and thanks for the Jeff Lynne quote. Hahaha! The only dictionary-ish definition of chicane as 'frothy wave tips' that I came across was in a comment on the Merriam-Webster Online definition of 'chicane', and the only literary reference to frothy wave-tips that I could find came in a novel dating from 1996 (Death Orbit by Mack Maloney(?) ), & chances are that's back-formation from the Jeff Lynne lyric - who knows? Kudos to your initiative in contacting the Lynne. Be interesting to see if he comes back to you.

BTW
I've just been listening to all of the bonus tracks, which are (bar one) of top, top quality. I got told off by YT for posting too many comments, so I'll just say here how much I enjoyed them all. Two little fun facts in response. 1) "It's a heartache" (top performance by Fred Grubb btw) gives rise to one of the great Mondagreens... "It's a hard egg." 2) Johnny Otis was inspired to write "Willie & the hand-jive" after watching a documentary on the 2i's Club in London's Soho (the birthplace of British rock'n'roll): the basement venue would get so crowded, patrons could dance, quite literally, only with their hands!

redpaul1
11-02-2013, 03:40 AM
And... last one from me. I actually recorded this a few days ago, and then did it an open mic. I wish I could have posted that one, but I felt a bit self-conscious about setting up a video & tripod & then going up to the mic, so this is all I've got.

http://youtu.be/_NPZKYDS0Hg

As an aside, however, I do end up taking quite a few of the songs I do here (and some of the songs you guys do too) out to open mics, and get good responses in performing them live. It may not seem that evident to you, but I feel I'm really starting to be able to apply the lessons I learn here in the Seasons, for which I thank you all.

xommen
11-02-2013, 04:23 AM
I think Ginny needs to update the link for the monster mashes in the opening post to this:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9BbtugDPwVNx-0PVmUONky4LBljdklgc

redpaul1
11-02-2013, 05:50 AM
And that's my lot. We're playing tonight in Tottenham. Gotta get ready and this was a little warm-up :)

Chords are G, Em, C & D - which is same progression as Stand By Me :)
Lots of FX on this one, courtesy of Danelectro's CoolCat Vibe, CoolCat Tremolo, FAB Chorus & FAB Echo:

http://youtu.be/s75l4wvntyI