noob question on G form(s)

swervy jervy

Reaction score
Hi. Have the uke for 8 days and working out the chords. (It's lovely, my first stringed instrument.) I'm wondering about the preferred fingering for the G chord.

I've seen it diagrammed as this:

postg132.jpg

and this:

postg243.jpg

The top form (hope I'm using this term correctly, if not please advise) is quicker in transition than the bottom (pinkie!) although the bottom form seems to set up more consistently for this beginner.

I realize that it will be good to be fluent in both, but which one is used more commonly once you get into more songs and motoring along a bit? I'd prefer to have one to concentrate on right now because I'm blowing my mind switching between the two.

Thanks very much!

Looking for Help in Laramie

p.s. Anyone know of a comprehensive chord chart that includes finger placements? I have a similar contradiction going with the Am chord.

Last edited:
i play my g chords like this...middle finger on the c string, ring on the e and pointer on the a string. i never took those fingering charts too seriously, i just figured out what kind of placement felt right to me and went with it. i think that the more comfortable you feel playing it the faster the transitions would be anyway. just my two cents.

I like to barre the 2nd fret, use my middle on 2nd string 3rd fret, and use my ring on the 4th string 4th fret.
Code:
A-2-|
E-3-|
C-2-|
G-4-|

I've said it before -- and others have too -- but it bears repeating...

The proper fingering to use for a given chord is the one you can get to most easily from the preceding chord and from most easily to the next chord.

So you'll definitely be using both of the fingerings you illustrated and probably others besides.

When starting out, use the one that's most comfortable for you. When transitioning from one chord to another, use the one that will get you there the easiest.

Been playing for a couple of months myself and the few book that I have picked up had the 1st illustration as the proper way to hold the G chord.. But I've seem people on videos switch finger 1 and 2... So I guess what ever is more comfortable to you...

usually i play G as 2320 barring on the 2nd fret and using my ring finger for the 3rd fret. i also do the full bar on the 2nd fret with my middle on the 3rd fret and my ring on the 4th.

Top Bottom