Australian Blackwood Baritone in G

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
Most of the Baritones I'm comissioned to build are to be strung in C, but this one is for a guitar player who wanted it in G. Scale length is 22".

Body is Australian Blackwood, top is Red Spruce, neck is Spanish Cedar and trim is Gidgee. MISI under saddle pickup. Finish is satin lacquer and strung with Aquilla Red Series as per clients request.

Blackwood Baritone #3_2013October27_003.jpgBlackwood Baritone #3_2013October27_006.jpgBlackwood Baritone #3_2013October27_015.jpgBlackwood Baritone #3_2013October27_016.jpgBlackwood Baritone #3_2013October27_021.jpg

Beautiful work - once again, Allen. Could you please give us a brief overview on what differences there would be between a baritone you built for C tuning and one for G tuning?
Miguel

That is very nice workmanship. I admire your talent and skills.

As an owner of one of those earlier baritones (this one), I can say that it sounds great both in C tuning and in B-flat tuning (Southcoast linear mediums with smooth wound lower two strings). Allen builds an incredible uke. The bari I have not only sounds great, but it plays like a dream. You really can't go wrong.

Beautiful work - once again, Allen. Could you please give us a brief overview on what differences there would be between a baritone you built for C tuning and one for G tuning?
Miguel

G'day Miguel.

The difference in tuning is that this one is at DGBE as in the 1st 4 strings of a guitar. There is less tension on the strings at this tuning, so in most cases you need different strings to suit. I increased the scale length on this over previous Baritone builds just to pump up that tension a bit. It works very well at this tuning, but to bring it up to GCEA the tension is too much with any of the strings I've tried. So it's a rather purpose built instrument at this scale length.

Damn, you build some handsome ukes.

Great looking uke Allen!

Most of the Baritones I'm comissioned to build are to be strung in C, but this one is for a guitar player who wanted it in G. Scale length is 22".

Body is Australian Blackwood, top is Red Spruce, neck is Spanish Cedar and trim is Gidgee. MISI under saddle pickup. Finish is satin lacquer and strung with Aquilla Red Series as per clients request.

View attachment 60334View attachment 60335View attachment 60336View attachment 60337View attachment 60338

awesome! i love that scale! i have been noticing more 21 1/2 to 22" baritones these days in fact i own one.
Also i prefer G tunings for baritones and C standard for soprano/concert/tenor. I'm a guitarist and uke player
but im a much better uke player...but i just prefer the standards for each instrument i think it suits them
for what they are :)

Top Bottom